Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

odiv posted:

Too many people are hyper-focused on public transit (and other services) being self-sustaining. It's a public good that benefits the community it doesn't need to be profitable!

one of many reasons public-private partnerships are dumb poo poo for hosers. if you attach a profit motive to the public good, it eventually turns to poo poo.

free housing free bussing free job placement. let's loving do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:kimchi:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:50 on Jun 20, 2021

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

GRT strike killing me. Cost me over $40 to get to and from a minimum wage job today.

still support the strikers though.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yet another reason why nazis suck:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://medicinehatnews.com/commentary/opinions/2020/01/25/laying-it-out-cant-change-minds-then-change-the-system/

Medicine Hat Ops have been loving decent lately.

quote:

I’ve spent a lot of time this week thinking about local mom Kym Porter, who has been extremely active in her advocacy for people who use drugs ever since her son died of an accidental opioid overdose. I had mentioned to her a few weeks ago that I was planning to write about addiction at some point soon, and I was going to use the need for supervised consumption sites as the foundation of my piece.

Then this week happened.

Not only did Premier Jason Kenney suggest relocation or closure of sites in a Tuesday announcement, he showed his true feelings about those battling addiction when he tweeted out one of the most vile columns ever written, authored by a man who was trying to set a record for ways you can dehumanize people in one sitting.

And so, instead of going through the usual process of collecting information for Laying it Out, I haven’t been able to get the story out of my head of that time a man I’d just met offered up his pure hatred of refugees as if we were discussing our favourite colours. What can I possibly say to those who oppose supervised consumption to convince them of its life-saving necessity when all too many of those people would rather addicts not be saved at all?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

GRT strike killing me. Cost me over $40 to get to and from a minimum wage job today.

still support the strikers though.

Where are you travelling to and from?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5440122

Private public partnership works!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5440122

Private public partnership works!

City looking for new operator, says putting recyclables in landfills is '"not an option', and yet, we all know that's exactly where it's going.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

City looking for new operator, says putting recyclables in landfills is '"not an option', and yet, we all know that's exactly where it's going.

They're going to try shipping it to the Philippines, and Duterte tells Canada to get hosed again?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we'll just package it up in a few bell helicopters this time

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
But it's okay,w e're gonna get the Pink like of the metro!

(Putting aside that more public transit would be amazing, I just don't believe it's gonne happen)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
bad news everyone we are currently living through the backstory to a very strange cancon postapocalyptic film where a virus wipes out all of humanity except st. john's, newfoundland, because they had so much snow that no one with the virus could arrive in the city, and then the movie is newfies repopulating the earth

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so basically the mckenzie bros. home movie from the opening of strange brew, but with worse accents

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'great tunderin' jaysoos, we're kings, my son, kings!'

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

vyelkin posted:

bad news everyone we are currently living through the backstory to a very strange cancon postapocalyptic film where a virus wipes out all of humanity except st. john's, newfoundland, because they had so much snow that no one with the virus could arrive in the city, and then the movie is newfies repopulating the earth

could be worse, we get more bearded mermen then

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/01/merby-merman-calendar-history-masculinity.html

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Saalkin posted:

Up and down a large section of Westmount. I'm not working less than a 9 hour shift for that job until the strikes over, so at least I make some money. It still sucks a lot. Fortunately my other jobs pay significantly better, I really just hang onto the crappy one because it is reliable.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

While all true this is very racist towards newfoundland culture and people do better canpol cspam

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

James Baud posted:

Yet another reason why nazis suck:

Ah yes, the notoriously stagnant period between the late 40s and the late 70s, a very dark time in our economic history.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Saalkin posted:

Going across town in a cab/uber can be 20 bucks pretty easily, so then times that by two for getting to and from work.

The GRT strike is a little weird in that if you live along the train line you can mostly pretend it doesn't exist but if you don't it can be crippling. I've been lucky in that my commute is either a bike ride or a train ride, generallly. But then yesterday I was going to visit a friend who lives off in the boonies of Laurelwood and it was like, oh, yeah, guess it's time to beg for a ride or throw out 25 bucks on a cab.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've got a nine hour shift tomorrow, just dreading working all day for next to nothing. It makes a crappy job excruciating.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I've got a nine hour shift tomorrow, just dreading working all day for next to nothing. It makes a crappy job excruciating.

I'm sorry you're hurting. It's sad when the wrong people get hurt by job action. Hopefully, it doesn't go on much longer.

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 21:49 on Jan 27, 2020

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

at least Frankie's weather reports will live on after the pandemic

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1221500635511689216

gently caress you justin

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
canadas chief export is lovely conservatism

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1221827357276807169?s=20

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ah yes, a former George W. Bush speech warning you about how Bernie Sanders is dangerously blase about transphobia, published in one of the magazines that did the most heavy lifting in the 1990s to try and make scientific racism palatable to Clinton era liberals who might feel squeamish about the Democratic party adopting Reaganite welfare policies.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Thinking about all the times the modern US army crushed insurgent militias and won a war.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Thinking about all the times the modern US army crushed insurgent militias and won a war.

No kidding. These imbeciles have zero self-awareness.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

So are we hijacking the Green Party to be the standard barer of the progressive movement? I know it was presented as "one weird trick" no one was supposed to take seriously, but I have a few neurons that won't let that idea go.

No joke, if we started organizing, I'd be down.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Dreylad posted:

Not to mention the fact that the founding of their country was based on wars fought with militias against the British empire, but hey, it’s David Frum

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Helsing posted:

Ah yes, a former George W. Bush speech warning you about how Bernie Sanders is dangerously blase about transphobia, published in one of the magazines that did the most heavy lifting in the 1990s to try and make scientific racism palatable to Clinton era liberals who might feel squeamish about the Democratic party adopting Reaganite welfare policies.

Also Frum wrote a near identical series of articles 4 years ago about how Trump would never win the nomination, then the election.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

longtime friend of trans people and the LGBTQ movement, David Frum. I remember how he was there for us, through thick and thin

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Its funny how Frum describes Sanders as "a Marxist of the old school of dialectical materialism, from the land that time forgot. Class relations are foundational; everything else is epiphenomenal." It is presented as though this were a critique and Frum contrasts Sanders approach to that of Warren. This is presented as a sneering critique but then we're told that actually Sanders appeal is not "accident or name recognition". No, we're told that Sanders is "being carried by something big and real" and that it is "a testament to the power of the Sanders approach to politics that it has elevated as irascible and negligible a person as Bernie Sanders to the top of the Democratic pack" and that the Democrats will have to copy Sanders theme of "the practical over the theoretical, the universal over the particular".

So beneath all the layers of smug concern trolling it would appear that Frum just praised Marxist class politics as practical and substantially appealing to voters.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Also this is one of the funniest single sentences from a political "expert" that I've read in a long, long time.

quote:

If Sanders wins the Democratic nomination, you will hear Clinton’s negative assessment of him repeated so often by pro-Trump talkers that you will almost think Clinton is Trump’s running mate.

This is definitely a guy who "gets" American politics.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a primate posted:

Not to mention the fact that the founding of their country was based on wars fought with militias against the British empire, but hey, it’s David Frum

Canada always sends its best and brightest.

Helsing posted:

So beneath all the layers of smug concern trolling it would appear that Frum just praised Marxist class politics as practical and substantially appealing to voters.

It seems to me that at least some fraction of the American establishment/political class understands the value of material politics and class interest, even if it's not the ones in the media writing 100% accurate predictions like this crap.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 00:16 on Jan 28, 2020

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

Also this is one of the funniest single sentences from a political "expert" that I've read in a long, long time.

This is definitely a guy who "gets" American politics.
hey, at least he still has all that credibility he built up as a military historian and strategist

Frum posted:

The members of the team around Sanders ... have been the Minutemen fighting the Redcoats, picking off the other side’s regulars from behind trees and fences. Now they are about to experience what happens when a militia faces off on an open field against a ruthless modern army with cluster bombs and napalm. They will be shredded and torched.

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 00:28 on Jan 28, 2020

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

half cocaine posted:

at least Frankie's weather reports will live on after the pandemic

he’s from cape breton

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Juul-Whip posted:

hey, at least he still has all that credibility he built up as a military historian and strategist

love too change metaphors in the middle of a thought

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my morning jackass posted:

he’s from cape breton

i have some bad news for your wrt the knowledge of atlantic geography outside of the maritimes/nfld

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

vyelkin posted:

love too change metaphors in the middle of a thought
now I'm remembering all the times GWB did that and wondering if it was Frum's words he was reciting every time or only most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1222237461755109376?s=20