Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think that's a stretch.

It was a pretty hamfisted attempt at shutting down the puns.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Godholio posted:

It was a pretty hamfisted attempt at shutting down the puns.

probably doesn't want them hogging all the pages

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

The fear makes them taste better

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Hey hey hey.... Mine wasn't a pun :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wish this poo poo could have waited until curb is done

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So there’s also an epidemic of swine flew.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I always wanted to see Oinko Boingo.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Blind Rasputin posted:

So there’s also an epidemic of swine flew.

gently caress

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fister Roboto posted:

I always wanted to see Oinko Boingo.

aye-yai-yai!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wonder how many kids went to that opening and got permanently scarred by a pig's death squealing as it was flung off a bungee

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
From my friend in Qingdao, northern China

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Erm.... can someone smarter than me comment on what disinfectant you could use at that level and what kind of horrific fumes might result?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

With a virus, my guess is that they’re going after the vector or reservoir (can be the same organism, but not always iirc). As for exactly what they’ll use, some pesticides and nerve agents aren’t terribly different, chemically...so I’m guessing something that blurs the line between the two, and maybe a defoliant for good measure?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My guess is that it’s a fwd:fwd:fwd type rumour, with Chinese characteristics.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Well yea, but if they were actually doing it I think that’s how it would go :v:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They're building two quarantine hospitals now.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-hospital-idUSKBN1ZO0C4

quote:

(Reuters) - China's Wuhan city, the centre of the outbreak of the new coronavirus, will build a second dedicated hospital to treat patients, state media the People's Daily reported on Saturday.

Construction of hospital, designed to have 1,300 beds, is scheduled to be completed in half a month.

Construction has started on the first dedicated hospital and is due to be finished by Feb 3.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress me. This is.... bad.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1221071809686183937?s=21 :bern101:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Huh. Pulled pork.

:drat:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's gonna be messy, that's for goddamn sure.

I'm not nearly high enough yet to troll through twitter right now.

The conspiracy nuts are claiming it's a depopulation effort backed by Bill and Melinda Gates and keep throwing patent papers up on twitter. Also plenty seem to think this is the only coronavirus, not knowing it's been around for goddamn millenia and this is a mutation within the virii family.

But when this poo poo hits India, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 25, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Let's not get too excited yet.

It might get bad, but there's way too little information out there to assume the worst.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's gonna be messy, that's for goddamn sure.

I'm not nearly high enough yet to troll through twitter right now.

The conspiracy nuts are claiming it's a depopulation effort backed by Bill and Melinda Gates and keep throwing patent papers up on twitter. Also plenty seem to think this is the only coronavirus, not knowing it's been around for goddamn millenia and this is a mutation within the virii family.

Airborne respiratory virus + air pollution + the Ganges river = hella people dead

That Works posted:

Let's not get too excited yet.

It might get bad, but there's way too little information out there to assume the worst.

But assuming the worst is all we know how to do!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's kind of what worries me. You have ten cities being quarantined for a supposed 40 deaths. Those numbers just don't add up.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

This is going better than expected in my opinion. My prediction was the chinese govt would deny there was a problem to save face, then gently caress off for new years.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This is my real fear. India is already half in the bag for being a failed state. Or even worse, Bangladesh.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's kind of what worries me. You have ten cities being quarantined for a supposed 40 deaths. Those numbers just don't add up.

It's up to twenty cities as of yesterday, I think.

And this is not comforting in the slightest:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1221066209925439491?s=19

This is blatant conspiracy poo poo:

https://twitter.com/MarburyMadison1/status/1221081984270774274?s=19

BigDave posted:

But assuming the worst is all we know how to do!

Hysteria is an exciting, wonderful thing.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 25, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

We're also hearing things like the quarantines are anything from just shutting down public transit all the way up to closing all roads and sheltering in place type of things. It's a lot of poor quality information. Like yeah it could be pretty bad, but until there's more data I think remain optimistic. I still assert that the flu will be worse globally than this.

I'm hoping that this is just China learning to be proactive instead of poo poo like saying for a decade+ that HIV didn't exist in China etc.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wouldn't count on China learning lessons.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I see your point. I just see a country known for suppressing information and assume things are at least an order of magnitude worse.

If that's true about the two hospitals.... well, I guess we just wait and see.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean maybe I'm just an idiot but usually the government does whatever action out of "an abundance of caution". Like giving people reduced price flu shots, or setting up hand sanitizer stations in public transport hubs. That's what you do when you say "an abundance of caution" and actually mean it.

You don't quarantine a city, let alone at least ten cities. You don't build two dedicated hospitals specifically to handle this event if everything is fine, nothing to see here.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We're all idiots on some scale.

I'd argue at this point, if someone is trusting the chinese gov to be honest about the situation, they're a bigger idiot than me, but that's entirely subjective. And I'm definitely an idiot, just don't know where I land on the scale because none of us do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We're all idiots on some scale.

I'd argue at this point, if someone is trusting the chinese gov to be honest about the situation, they're a bigger idiot than me, but that's entirely subjective. And I'm definitely an idiot, just don't know where I land on the scale because none of us do.

I don't trust the Chinese gov information, but I also don't trust people who are starting to panic to put out reliable information either. It's all a big mess at the moment and typically for disease stuff peoples fears are far greater than reality (at least for new diseases they haven't heard of or don't routinely encounter in their lives).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I agree, it's why I scroll past and roll my eyes at a lot of twitter. Take anything not from a reputable news source with a healthy grain of suspect salt, but don't be surprised if some of the news coming out under the radar is true.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you see the Chinese government announce construction of “hygiene re-education camps” you’ll know it’s real.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmOCsiZgAbg

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It could also be the Chinese government deliberately overreacting to be perceived as doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING to stop this, to avoid mass riots and poo poo.

The Chinese people isn’t nearly as peaceful as you might think.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm not trusting anybody about this really I'm just saying you don't quarantine poo poo on this sort of scale if everything's going by swimmingly.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RobbieGramer/status/1221091910078664705

Okay Mike, I believe you that the reporter picked the wrong country a continent and couple bodies of water away.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

my eyes just rolled all the way around forward again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I am embarrassed to see something so pathetic on DoS letterhead