Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Corporations are not our friends???????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
on the plus side a subscription model would probably let them allocate hours to things that aren't the current and hottest dlc and go back to tidy up mechanics, like total war does as was compared earlier

maybe

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I get why they'd want to try going deep rather than wide by getting more money from existing fans rather than acquire more fans, since their last attempt at broadening appeal by trying out a new time period went badly. Even if their profits stood technically the same, "re-arranging" them into regular subscriptions rather than bumpy and uncertain one-time purchases is much more appealing to finance people and potential investors.

But it's also entirely logical for customers to not want to spend more money. I'd rather they chase whales who want cosmetic DLC than try collecting subscriptions that will be hard to cancel. Or even better, try making some better games that will be hits in their own right instead of trying to cannibalize the stuff they already have, but that's better said than done. I'd like to see maybe a fantasy or sci-fi game with a crafted setting, but even if there's hundreds of ways to do that right, there's probably thousands to do it wrong.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gamerofthegame posted:

on the plus side a subscription model would probably let them allocate hours to things that aren't the current and hottest dlc and go back to tidy up mechanics, like total war does as was compared earlier

maybe

What’s sad is there was a time when Paradox kicked the poo poo out of Total War

But now TW and CA (a subsidiary of SEGA) is doing almost everything right while Paradox keeps on... this

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Speaking of Total War War Hammers, is #2 worth getting for $20.39? Do I need to gasp buy all the DLC?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Stux posted:

this assumes it wont just replace buying the dlcs at any point, that the pricing is favorable, and ignores that the more logical solution to their dlc pricing is to actually cut the prices on old dlc instead of still selling in 2020 art of war for £15 and freaking conquest of paradise for £10. its a solution for a problem that exists on purpose and they want to use as the "solution" because it makes more money than just rolling the freaking dlc that just puts in a random new world no one uses into the base game 6 years after it came out. the actual solution is to just make the cost of entry lower overall instead of every now and again if you catch a bundle.

edit: cop is £5 ON SALE lol, thats the entire issue and the solution is that it probably should be under £1 or just in the game now.
Yeah. Obviously I don't know Paradox's financials, but like, how many people are buying something like CoP six years into the game's life? Sure, if there was a constant turnover of the player base it might make sense to keep those prices constant, but if it's mostly the same people buying DLC then at some point you've basically exhausted the supply of people willing to by the DLC at full price. Would make far more sense to do what's been suggested and move the price down over time, to wring out the last few euros from the existing playerbase - while at the same time making the game easier for new players to get into, which could then expand the playerbase for future games. It's not like there's any real unit cost for Paradox, so they're completely free to just slash prices at regular intervals.

As mentioned, the above also has the advantage of making it easier to keep the games bloat free, letting Paradox revisit features and expand on them rather than having to create parallel features modeling the same poo poo because they can't be sure any given player has a given DLC. That to me seems like an obvious way to keep player engagement high, leading to more sales to the existing playerbase and better word of mouth that can convince new players to join it - especially now that the barrier to entry would also be lower. Hell, the fact that a theme could be revisited later could also mean Paradox would be able to extract more features from the same amount of hours put in - half-finished concepts from earlier on, combined with player-feedback in the years following the original DLC release, providing the framework for new features that build on the ones that were just rolled into the base game.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

AnoHito posted:

That is almost always the main objective of tech companies moving to a subscription model.

The objective is to generally have a single code base for all your users and not have to re-sell the app every time you upgrade, allowing you to move away from marquee app selling features on every release. It’s as much about lowering support costs and offering predictable revenue as making more money. DLC sales need to support ongoing maintenance but people buy for new content and this tension impacts decision making. For indie developers this is a lifeblood. For big tech cos, this is good for the bottom line.

If Paradox is moving to an optional sub model then it could be the worst of both worlds for them. Players will move to whatever model is personally cheaper (or morally acceptable) while Paradox can’t reap the support benefits of presuming that all players have the same features, and still need to market the new expansions. On the other hand, the lower barrier to entry may mean that the long tail gets longer for the games and it’s a net win as far as income. People love all you can eat buffets even if it’s not the most cost effective way of getting food.

Hence the tests.

The financial world LOVES the subscription model, BTW. Mostly for the predictability of recurring revenue. For decades, Apple stock has traded below where you’d expect because analysts remained skeptical that the company could ever launch a new successful product, even as it kept launching successful products. As the company has moved towards services (which includes encouraging App developers to subscription models) and financing plans that let you essentially subscribe to iPhone, the company has become a Wall Street darling.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m the financial world, famous for never losing billions and taking the rest of us with it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Speaking of Total War War Hammers, is #2 worth getting for $20.39? Do I need to gasp buy all the DLC?

Yes, absolutely.

If you own the first game, all the DLC and content for that carries over to game 2. As for the rest of it, it's a matter of taste. Once you're tired of the other factions, pick up Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast to make them playable (they'll exist in the game as AIs regardless). The other DLCs add new starting positions and units to the existing factions. Again, you can just wait until you're bored of the stuff in the base game. The only one I'd say is really essential is The Prophet & the Warlock; it includes some of the best Skaven units, and they honestly feel anemic without it. All the other factions feel fine without their DLC units.

Also you have to manually unlock each of the free DLCs, you don't just automatically get them.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Cease to Hope posted:

stux is being all stux but this strikes me as incredibly naive, especially when you've got paradox execs hitting social media and replying to people who want it to apply to all of paradox's games with "oh, good idea, we'll have to think about that"

i know you're speaking for yourself and not the company and posting on your own time and all that, but paradox's ceo doesn't get the same degree of slack. this is the kind of poo poo that doesn't stop until it gets paradox too much vocal pushback or stops being profitable, and games-as-a-service has been a creeping kudzu everywhere else

There is a massive difference between having different pricing options (which is what Ebba is talking about) and applying a possible EU4 solution across all brands. Like it's literally the first experiment on pricing, drawing any conclusion from that other than "they are experimenting with pricing" is a bit bonkers.

It's kind of like arguing that just because we did some experiments on Magicka 1, then we're going to change things in EU3.
Or people not realizing that due to the way big event sales in gaming (like Steam Lunar Sale) it's almost never worth it to go lower that 50% off since you'd just make less money. Because the lower you go the more copies you need to sell to hit a sales target.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Speaking of games that fill Paradox's niche but aren't TW, has anyone played Nobunaga's Ambition: SOI? Sounds like it's Shogun 2: TW but with more focus on the overmap, so basically a Paradox game but you can influence the battles instead of getting hosed by dice rolls.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

cKnoor posted:

There is a massive difference between having different pricing options (which is what Ebba is talking about) and applying a possible EU4 solution across all brands. Like it's literally the first experiment on pricing, drawing any conclusion from that other than "they are experimenting with pricing" is a bit bonkers.

It's kind of like arguing that just because we did some experiments on Magicka 1, then we're going to change things in EU3.
Or people not realizing that due to the way big event sales in gaming (like Steam Lunar Sale) it's almost never worth it to go lower that 50% off since you'd just make less money. Because the lower you go the more copies you need to sell to hit a sales target.

Yeah just like that time Paradox experimented with DLCs instead of expansions and never implemented that system elsewhere.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

cKnoor posted:

Or people not realizing that due to the way big event sales in gaming (like Steam Lunar Sale) it's almost never worth it to go lower that 50% off since you'd just make less money.
You're missing one or more words in this sentence.

cKnoor posted:

Because the lower you go the more copies you need to sell to hit a sales target.
Why don't you raise the price of the games then? I mean, you wouldn't have to sell as many then.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why don't you raise the price of the games then? I mean, you wouldn't have to sell as many then.

It's not a linear relationship. As price goes up, the number if sales generally dips faster. Also product expectations go up sharply. If you charged $200 out of the gate, there would be almost zero tolerance for bugs or other problems.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

cKnoor posted:

It's literally not the first experiment on pricing, loads of other companies have experimented with subscription models in their pricing, and people are quite reasonably extrapolating from the results of those previous experiments. PDS is no longer a special unique outfit, they're a division of a publicly traded video game company, it's not bonkers to expect they'll behave like other publicly traded video game companies.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dramicus posted:

It's not a linear relationship. As price goes up, the number if sales generally dips faster.
Turn this around and apply it to the post I was replying to.

Reveilled posted:

It's literally not the first experiment on pricing, loads of other companies have experimented with subscription models in their pricing, and people are quite reasonably extrapolating from the results of those previous experiments. PDS is no longer a special unique outfit, they're a division of a publicly traded video game company, it's not bonkers to expect they'll behave like other publicly traded video game companies.
Please do not apply such a materialist line of reasoning to Paradox.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

two is a v good game, if you pick up the first too you can play a map that merges it all together, too.

The DLCs are all pretty good, the ten dollar ones (right now, anyway) are full on factions. All of still exists in game even if you don't get it, though, you just can't play it. A little annoying for the smaller ones that add a couple of units the AI will get, but eh.

Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast in particular are popular.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
“don’t worry everyone, this time will be the time that finance capitalism doesn’t gently caress up everything!”

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

cKnoor posted:

i want the lesson of this experiment to be "it is a real bad idea to pivot to software-as-a-service"

you can't argue that it's a bad idea to cut prices because paradox makes less money then turn around and expect us to believe that this new pricing model is for our convenience and not maximizing paradox's profits. taking the first steps in what is clearly a plan that will eventually maximize paradox's profits at our expense is bad and i think it's perfectly reasonable to say so!

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 25, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cKnoor posted:

youre basically asking us to ignore that every other single case where a game has pivoted to a service model its been more expensive and worse and has absolutely replaced older systems due to it being more profitable. its paradox's first experiment but the results are already known and there is no reason to expect the outcome to change.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I was thinking about how fun it is that each time a DLC comes round paradox games becomes buggy and sometimes completely unplayable for a month until they patch it, sounds like a great idea to charge people for that month too

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

“don’t worry everyone, this time will be the time that finance capitalism doesn’t gently caress up everything!”

ABOUT TIME

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

To be fair, it only occasionally falls apart and destroys the economy every couple of decades, usually it just slowly sucks money and resources away from everywhere else.

On the positive side of things, the financial industry does sometimes facilitate exponential growth by allocating money to people with growth potential, but some of them have figured out how to make money off of destroying the people they invest in, and it turns out that's sometimes more reliable.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Mr Snips posted:

I was thinking about how fun it is that each time a DLC comes round paradox games becomes buggy and sometimes completely unplayable for a month until they patch it, sounds like a great idea to charge people for that month too

You joke but I actually miss when MTG first game out and the base game's AI didn't understand how to run USA with the new demagogue advisers but not the MTG DLC with focus tree reasons to appoint either. End result? USA appoints fascist AND communist demagogues ASAP and by '43 could be anything. My fave was watching the CSA win the 2nd American Civil War, then turn Communist.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mr Snips posted:

Remember when DLC launched for EU4 that made the game crash on start-up if you had any mods at all in the mods folder, and then one of the devs wrote a spirited post in the Paradox forums that they can't be expected to test all hardware configurations, like having any mods at all :allears:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Remember when Johan posted here regularly and these dumb map games weren't world-famous

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Remember when we had hope for Victoria 3 ever releasing?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

No.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The best part of the "dawn of chaos" C-SPAM thread is talking about Vicky 3 alongside HoI XXXIV or whatever

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Remember when Johan posted here regularly and these dumb map games weren't world-famous

he didnt stop because of paradox games getting more popular, he stopped because of the embarrassment that was imperator

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't want to stan CA too much, but,

I am checking out the new 3K DLC and as someone colourblind, I really appreciate that in the graphics options there's a colourblind settting complete with little coloured boxes you can toggle to make sure you can see the game-relevant colours.

There are really times in paradox games where I get baffled by the fifteenth mapmode's colouration and a simple colour toggle would help a lot

Also as always let us change country colours but still get cheevos you hacks.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

ca is actually good

sega, assumedly, sets the price of the dlc kinda high but everything involved is usually good and high quality and well intregrated, which cannot necessarily be said the same for paradox stuff

it ok tho

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is 3K fun if I don't want to play the battles?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

3k’s strength over other total wars is in the campaign layer, so probably, but if you don’t want to play the rts battles I wouldn’t recommend total war at all.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

yikes! posted:

3k’s strength over other total wars is in the campaign layer, so probably, but if you don’t want to play the rts battles I wouldn’t recommend total war at all.

Yeah I agree with this, the campaign layer is there mostly to contextualize the battles and make them meaningful. If you don't care about the battles, those are generally considered the strength of the game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CA and I guess Sega is much better at least right now, of releasing easily compartmentalized dlc. Also when you're comparing your game to actual GW models anything looks cheap. :v: but like if I just love say the Empire I don't have to buy anything but dlc related to the Empire and I get the best Empire experience. I don't need some random thing from the High Elf dlc for my Empire game. I don't know if 3K is as discreet as W2, but it's a powerful advantage for a dlc based game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah I agree with this, the campaign layer is there mostly to contextualize the battles and make them meaningful. If you don't care about the battles, those are generally considered the strength of the game.

I've tried Paradox games when I've realized that Total War games make me more interested in characters and march of history.

Now that Paradox games are overloaded with meaningless numbers I sometimes feel that TW naive view on history is interesting again.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the last time I really enjoyed total war's real time battles was shogun 2 or really medieval 1. The AI and general battle tactics just isn't at an interesting level for me, whereas the abstracted battles for paradox titles is fine because so much more effort is spent on the campaign map. Which, for total war has generally been poo poo.

I guess it's up to Paradox to prove the sub model will work for them in spite of evidence in the industry that it's generally bad. They're going to do this no matter what people say so I'd just sit back and see what happens.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Dreylad posted:

the last time I really enjoyed total war's real time battles was shogun 2 or really medieval 1. The AI and general battle tactics just isn't at an interesting level for me, whereas the abstracted battles for paradox titles is fine because so much more effort is spent on the campaign map. Which, for total war has generally been poo poo.

I guess it's up to Paradox to prove the sub model will work for them in spite of evidence in the industry that it's generally bad. They're going to do this no matter what people say so I'd just sit back and see what happens.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work, thanks to Whales that get utterly addicted, they'll make the subscription service seem profitable and the next thing is that it'll be subscription only, that's it, at this point, the worst is usually correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Are you confusing subscription with gacha?