Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The IT systems of the big banks are all built on a massive, creaky architecture of layer upon layer of software, with the bottom layers often dating back to the 1970's. It's much too difficult and expensive to replace it all, so they just apply patch after patch and hope that the whole mess more or less keeps sticking together.

For example, HSBC's first IT processes were set up using Fortran, in 118 a.d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

x

Guess that's the price they need to pay for getting ARE SOVEREIGNTY back from the EU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pistol_Pete posted:

The IT systems of the big banks are all built on a massive, creaky architecture of layer upon layer of software, with the bottom layers often dating back to the 1970's. It's much too difficult and expensive to replace it all, so they just apply patch after patch and hope that the whole mess more or less keeps sticking together.

For example, HSBC's first IT processes were set up using Fortran, in 118 a.d.

Not just banks but also for example airlines. A friend (age over 60) was kept on by a large airline company until very recently as one of only 2 or 3 people who knew how to work the creaking, ancient computer mainframe running some legacy software. Not sure what language. Maybe COBOL?

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sinky posted:

x

Guess that's the price they need to pay for getting ARE SOVEREIGNTY back from the EU

why would labour do this!?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not just banks but also for example airlines. A friend (age over 60) was kept on by a large airline company until very recently as one of only 2 or 3 people who knew how to work the creaking, ancient computer mainframe running some legacy software. Not sure what language. Maybe COBOL?

It's the early adopter problem - airlines and banks were the first to start really using computers on a large scale so by the time cheap micros started entering the market they already had a decade or two of not only their IT systems but their entire business being built around IBM 360s or DEC PDPs, meaning that it's much more expensive for them to rebuild everything than to just keep buggering on with what they've got. There's a cottage industry of virtual machines (with attendant greybeards) still keeping this stuff running and interfacing with more modern systems.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Chuff McNothing posted:

why would labour do this!?

I blame Jeremiah Crobyn

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Would the nationalist wing of al-Qaida be called Homebase? :dadjoke:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How much truth is there in the idea presented in The Power Of Nightmares that it was all made up by an American grass to get out of trouble?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Hey I remember reading a quote here about how the man down the pub is a fascist or something? Along those lines anyway. Anybody know what I'm on about 'cause google hasn't got a clue.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Saith posted:

Hey I remember reading a quote here about how the man down the pub is a fascist or something? Along those lines anyway. Anybody know what I'm on about 'cause google hasn't got a clue.

Probably Kelvin MacKenzie talking about the readers of the Sun

quote:

You just don't understand the readers, do you, eh? He's the bloke you see in the pub, a right old fascist, wants to send the wogs back, buy his poxy council house, he's afraid of the unions, afraid of the Russians, hates the queers and the weirdos and drug dealers. He doesn't want to hear about that stuff (serious news)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What the heck did they expect?
Tories have been squeezing labour councils for years but labour getting the blame.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/austerity-cuts-local-services-boris-johnson-funding-workington-stoke-grimsby-a9301281.html

quote:

Poorer areas that backed Tories face fresh funding cuts as cash switched to wealthy southern regions
New Conservative MPs representing seats losing out challenged to stand up to Boris Johnson – before cash is diverted to Surrey and Hampshire

Poorer areas that delivered Boris Johnson’s election triumph are facing fresh cuts to local services – as funds are switched to wealthy Southern shires instead.

Hundreds of millions of pounds will be diverted because of a new formula which significantly downgrades the importance of deprivation in assessing need, an analysis shows.

The shake-up will hurt high-profile Tory election gains including Workington, Stoke-on-Trent, Grimsby, West Bromwich, Sedgefield, Bishop Auckland and Redcar, it shows.

Now the new Conservative MPs representing those areas are being challenged to stand up to the prime minister before the cuts kick in next year.

“They know these changes are wrong, so it’s time for them to decide what comes first – their communities or their careers?” said Andrew Gwynne, Labour’s local government spokesman.

Watch more
Boris Johnson ‘no aid for coal’ promise branded a sham
The ‘fair funding review’ began under Theresa May but now threatens to become a major embarrassment to her successor, who won the election on a pledge to “level up” the country.

Instead, the areas of the North and Midlands which were hit hardest by a decade of austerity that stripped billions from town hall funding are threatened with more pain.

The analysis, carried out by the Labour group at the Local Government Association, has found that 37 Tory MPs represent seats “at the sharp end of these cuts”.

In County Durham, where the Conservatives snatched four seats including Bishop Auckland and Sedgefield – Tony Blair’s old seat – the county council will lose almost £10 million a year.

Cumbria, where the Workington seat switched from red to blue, will be another loser (£7.55 million), as will Stoke (£8 million), Sandwell, which includes West Bromwich (£8.6 million), and Lincolnshire, including Grimsby (£3.3 million).

Tory-run Hampshire will be the biggest cash winner (gaining £35 million), followed by Surrey (£26m), which covers the constituencies of 11 Tory MPs including cabinet members Dominic Raab and Michael Gove.

Other Conservative areas set to enjoy a funding boost include Northamptonshire (£7.5 million) – which was put in special measures after years of financial mismanagement – East Sussex (£6 million) and affluent Wokingham (£6 million, a staggering 30 per cent hike).

The biggest loser will be Birmingham (down by more than £48 million), followed by other big Labour city strongholds including Liverpool (£16.2 million) and Manchester (£10.4 million).

Mr Gwynne urged new Tory MPs not to duck the challenge, adding: “The fair funding review has been exposed as just another Conservative plan to take hundreds of millions from deprived communities and funnel it towards leafy Tory shires.

“In the new parliament, 37 Tory MPs represent communities at the sharp end of these cuts. This is a major test – their constituents will not forgive and not forget if they fail.”

An LGA spokesperson said the analysis did not represent its “preference”, but acknowledged: “It is an attempt to provide some information to councils that might help gauge the likely impact of the fair funding review on the relative distribution of adult social care funding.”

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

How much truth is there in the idea presented in The Power Of Nightmares that it was all made up by an American grass to get out of trouble?

It's sort-of correct - the FBI represented AQ as a monolithic enterprise, rather than several dozen small groups that happened to intersect with bin Laden/KSM, in order to use laws originally deigned to be used against the Mafia to prosecute the WTC bombers in the 90s. The uncertainty was how much the FBI believed this to be actually the case and whether they misrepresented it deliberately.

(God there's a load of acronyms in that post, I must be a serious Tier 1 Operator)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What the heck did they expect?
Tories have been squeezing labour councils for years but labour getting the blame.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/austerity-cuts-local-services-boris-johnson-funding-workington-stoke-grimsby-a9301281.html

i think i posted a couple of years back how it was a deliberate policy mostly to make people in those areas hate labour and it clearly worked

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

dispatch_async posted:

Probably Kelvin MacKenzie talking about the readers of the Sun

That's the one, cheers.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

You're falling into the trap of pure electoralism here. Don't look at the image they give off, look at how they will materially reconnect the Labour Party with voters. RLB bringing in open selection and endorsing the Preston model (and being endorsed by Preston CLP) is pretty significant.
Lol at the idea that anyone outside a portion of the Labour membership gives two fucks about open selection or whatever the Preston model is.

The reason people are supporting Starmer over RLB at the moment is because they both appear pretty mediocre, but Starmer is pitching himself as someone with the image of a white male establishment figure but who is also a radical, so can win back voters and bring the change labour members want. Meanwhile RLB has just pitched herself as basically more of the past five years (or at least has not fought nearly hard enough to dispell that impression generated by the media, and has actively encouraged it in many ways e.g. giving JC 10/10 was a loving stupid thing to say).

RLB's initial strategy seemed to be gambling that people would stick behind the JC model, or at least get behind the candidate who is most likely to carry on the same path, but this fundamentally missed the fact that lots of lefties blame the team around JC for the catastrophic election defeat, and everyone is aware that RLB appears to have a lot of the same/similar people around her and supporting her. This is reinforced by how lacklustre her campaign has been so far, vs. Starmer's very well-executed and coordinated start (e.g. the first thing Starmer did was to get a reassuring 'Labour needs to be radical' article in the Graun, addressing off the bat the main concern members will have, that he's a not-so-secret melt).

Like I said, either would be pretty mediocre I think, but RLB has done herself few favours so far.

The whole 'looking prime ministerial' thing is unfortunately also important when thinking about the wider electorate. RLB could genuinely use a restyle. She kind of dresses like Theresa May half the time, for some reason; weirdly formal all the time. Starmer is a conventional looking middle aged white man so it's a thousand times easier for him, because that's how poo poo things still area in terms of political imagery at the moment. He's mostly campaigning in generic looking smart casual shirtsleeves. RLB's team could take a few leaves out of Jacinda Ardern's playbook in terms of presentation.

RLB can still turn it around but there's little evidence so far that she/her team can get it together enough to do so. Starmer is weak on economic substance, which is crucial because it's also where the biggest element of mistrust is for him from the members.
If you ask me RLB should be going around talking about the Green Industrial Revolution stuff she promoted in her conference speech last year. That was perhaps the best stuff in the manifesto and if Labour is to win the next election, we need someone leading who can beat them over the head with their poo poo economic record at every single opportunity and then explain our economic stage and educate the public as to why it would be transformational in their own lives.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 25, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Lol at the idea that anyone outside a portion of the Labour membership gives two fucks about open selection or whatever the Preston model is.

The reason people are supporting Starmer over RLB at the moment is because they both appear pretty mediocre, but Starmer is pitching himself as someone with the image of a white male establishment figure but who is also a radical, so can win back voters and bring the change labour members want. Meanwhile RLB has just pitched herself as basically more of the past five years (or at least has not fought nearly hard enough to dispell that impression generated by the media, and has actively encouraged it in many ways e.g. giving JC 10/10 was a loving stupid thing to say).

RLB's initial strategy seemed to be gambling that people would stick behind the JC model, or at least get behind the candidate who is most likely to carry on the same path, but this fundamentally missed the fact that lots of lefties blame the team around JC for the catastrophic election defeat, and everyone is aware that RLB appears to have a lot of the same/similar people around her and supporting her. This is reinforced by how lacklustre her campaign has been so far, vs. Starmer's very well-executed and coordinated start (e.g. the first thing Starmer did was to get a reassuring 'Labour needs to be radical' article in the Graun, addressing off the bat the main concern members will have, that he's a not-so-secret melt).

Like I said, either would be pretty mediocre I think, but RLB has done herself few favours so far.

The whole 'looking prime ministerial' thing is unfortunately also important when thinking about the wider electorate. RLB could genuinely use a restyle. She kind of dresses like Theresa May half the time, for some reason. Starmer is a conventional looking middle aged white man so it's a thousand times easier for him, because that's how poo poo things still area in terms of political imagery at the moment.

RLB can still turn it around but there's little evidence so far that she/her team can get it together enough to do so. Starmer is weak on economic substance, which is crucial because it's also where the biggest element of mistrust is for him from the members.
If you ask me RLB should be going around talking about the Green Industrial Revolution stuff she promoted in her conference speech last year. That was perhaps the best stuff in the manifesto and if Labour is to win the next election, we need someone leading who can beat them over the head with their poo poo economic record at every single opportunity and then explain our economic stage and educate the public as to why it would be transformational in their own lives.

The Preston model is an approach to local government and community-building that saw Preston become one of the only Labour Leave seats to increase its vote-share in 2019. Maybe bother looking stuff up before you spew poorly-informed bollocks?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
She has been doing that about the GND, to Labour members at least. Remember that this is an election *by Labour members* so stuff like open selections that only members care about is actually important, or you fall into the Jess Flops trap of constantly trashing the members as idiots before suddenly realising you needed them to vote for you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

IIRC it was the cryptonym for the mujahadeen compound in Tora Bora, and the FBI misunderstanding/deliberately misrepresenting this as the name of a large criminal organisation in the 90s WTC bombing trial led to it being applied to anyone who'd ever spoken to anyone who'd ever attended that compound.
Did they ever find his datacenter?

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Boris Johnson is the least "prime ministerial" looking actual prime minister since loving forever and the tories still got a big majority.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The Preston model is an approach to local government and community-building that saw Preston become one of the only Labour Leave seats to increase its vote-share in 2019. Maybe bother looking stuff up before you spew poorly-informed bollocks?

I mean, he's right in that I don't think it's gotten much traction outside a portion of the left, because lol Brexit. I would love that to be our main focus. Is RLB the only one discussing it? Seems a good fit for Lisa "Towns" Nandy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

It's like something out of James Bond.

Didn't they find paperwork showing it was run like a company with different cells sending in detailed reports of income, expenditure etc?

https://world.time.com/2013/12/29/al-qaeda-receipts-reveal-meticulous-accounting-habits/

quote:

Documents discovered in a former al-Qaeda-linked building in Timbuktu, in northern Mali, reveal just how obsessive the international terrorist group can be when it comes to one thing: accounting.

More than 100 receipts were among documents found in a building previously occupied by al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb earlier this year, the Associated Press reports. The group recorded everything from $0.60 cake to $200 for a “trip for spreading propaganda.” The cache of documents included 27 invoices for meat, 13 for tomatoes, 11 for milk, 11 for pasta, seven for onions and more for tea, sugar and honey.

The receipts, written in Arabic on scraps of paper and Post-it notes, are indicative of how the terrorist group runs its many chapters like an international corporation. Other items listed include $1.80 for a bar of soap, $14 for super glue, as well as money reserved for “charity.”

Al-Qaeda is also notorious for other corporate-world documentation, like budget maintenance, job applications, public-relations advice and letters from a human-resources-type division.

The names on receipts also suggest a majority of the terrorist group’s employees were foreign-born. For example, receipts were recorded for “Talhat the Libyan” or “Tarek the Algerian.”

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 25, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

For a while hawks were claiming that the MOABs/FAEs they were dropping into random holes in the mountains were so effective they'd vaporised all traces of these complexes (yes, they claimed there were multiple Bond-villain bases in the mountains), which is why the poor bastards actually cleaning them out (and occasionally getting hosed over by booby traps left by retreating Taliban) were never finding anything more than the occasional empty ammo box.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I actually remember the photoshops of that image when I first got on the internet. They must have mainly all been from SA.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't know why anyone would think they'd build something like that under late capitalism when the alternative of "pay money to rent a bunch of commercial spaces from people who aren't otherwise paid enough to care that you're a a terror cell" is right there on the table.

Other than that it gives the hawks an excuse to lob tallboys everywhere, of course, but anyone else.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

I believe it was devilishly well disguised as a harmless home cinema complete with popcorn maker and fully stocked pick-n-mix counter.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
RLB is pitching GND policy about as hard as Starmer is, i.e., it's there but neither is trying very hard. Both brought it up in their opening op-eds.

There doesn't seem to be a good reason for either to rock the boat, a point upon which Starmer has been particularly explicit

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1218513320610758656

The question is whether RLB will close the gap... I confess some surprise that YouGov is seeing Starmer increasing his lead, I would have expected Momentum's landslide endorsement to have boosted RLB some

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Would anyone who'd first pick Starmer care about what Momentum wants? They might even see the endorsement as a poisoned chalice

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 25, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I cannot begin to imagine why you would expect momentum endorsing the continuity candidate would come as any sort of surprise to anyone in labour or that people who care about that endorsement would not already be voting for her.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Too much of the membership which backed Corbyn is defaulting to thought processes like 'With Starmer the media will be less hostile and it'll be easier to have arguments about policy." which is just awful thinking. The radical left needs to be prepared to gather up the inevitable exodus of members who leave or just become completely inactive if Starmer wins when a) the attacks continue to obscure any policy discussion or the policies move back to Millibandism at best and b) the right starts purging anyone who fights against that. With Pidcock bigging up the Peoples Assembly recently I imagine that'll become the holding group for a lot of those people which is actually okay because it's a boring as poo poo group and so picking out members to join other more interesting groups should be fairly easy.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
because even amongst the selectorate there's not that much engagement or name recognition, and Momentum still has its mailing list

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ronya posted:

because even amongst the selectorate there's not that much engagement or name recognition, and Momentum still has its mailing list

Eh they hosed up by picking who the organisation NEC backs and then asking the membership for endorsement of that decision, it's a confusing announcement rather than a ringing endorsement.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Fair, should have googled it (I have read stuff about what they're doing there, just forgot/failed to connect that to 'the Preston Model'). But also, this:

Not So Fast posted:

I mean, he's right in that I don't think it's gotten much traction outside a portion of the left, because lol Brexit. I would love that to be our main focus. Is RLB the only one discussing it? Seems a good fit for Lisa "Towns" Nandy.

MikeCrotch posted:

She has been doing that about the GND, to Labour members at least. Remember that this is an election *by Labour members* so stuff like open selections that only members care about is actually important, or you fall into the Jess Flops trap of constantly trashing the members as idiots before suddenly realising you needed them to vote for you.
I would agree if this was 2015/17 that just putting out stuff the membership is going to like would be the answer to gaining support in the leadership election. But I think one of the reasons Starmer appears to be out in front at the moment is the grief & anxiety members are feeling about the defeat, and about the prospect of us potentially being out of power until 2029. This combined with the widely acknowledged massive flaws in the 2019 campaign and a quite widespread dissillusionment, even amongst many who previously voted Corbyn, with the poor leadership of the past year or so (though a lot of the blame is going on the people around JC not on him personally), is making people be a lot more conservative in their view of the leadership race, and a lot more aware of the need for a leader to have/be able to have appeal outside of the selectorate.

Hence Starmer; complete change of leadership team, superficially more qualified or more of a natural fit for the PM job, etc. etc.

Could be disastrous if he wins (right now I really don't know who would be better/worse, I'm not particularly inspired by either) but that seems to be the way things are moving at the moment. There's a lot of time to April however..

ronya posted:

RLB is pitching GND policy about as hard as Starmer is, i.e., it's there but neither is trying very hard. Both brought it up in their opening op-eds.

There doesn't seem to be a good reason for either to rock the boat, a point upon which Starmer has been particularly explicit

The question is whether RLB will close the gap... I confess some surprise that YouGov is seeing Starmer increasing his lead, I would have expected Momentum's landslide endorsement to have boosted RLB some
Starmer has been playing it fairly balanced in his public views on JC, starting off by praising 'some things' he did (part of Starmer's opening 'I'm a radical, really' gambit) and then being a bit critical and now saying forget the past.**
RLB foolishly made the first big opening headline related to get campaign '10/10 for Corbyn' and is now trying for balance.
Honestly one of the main negatives against RLB right now is that he campaign has been pretty bad so far. I hope she gets it together so at least there is more of an even playing field.

I don't know about the Momentum endorsement, in general there seems to be a suspicion that whilst its members are a great asset to Labour's campaigning strength, the leadership is a bit isolated from the rest of the organisation? There seemed to be a lot of momentum people expressing anger at how the endorsement vote was conducted (yes/no for RLB) though that's only anecdotal from Twitter. I honestly think RLB is underestimating the level of disillusionment amongst members at the moment.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

El Grillo posted:

Fair, should have googled it (I have read stuff about what they're doing there, just forgot/failed to connect that to 'the Preston Model'). But also, this:

I would agree if this was 2015/17 that just putting out stuff the membership is going to like would be the answer to gaining support in the leadership election. But I think one of the reasons Starmer appears to be out in front at the moment is the grief & anxiety members are feeling about the defeat, and about the prospect of us potentially being out of power until 2029. This combined with the widely acknowledged massive flaws in the 2019 campaign and a quite widespread dissillusionment, even amongst many who previously voted Corbyn, with the poor leadership of the past year or so (though a lot of the blame is going on the people around JC not on him personally), is making people be a lot more conservative in their view of the leadership race, and a lot more aware of the need for a leader to have/be able to have appeal outside of the selectorate.

Hence Starmer; complete change of leadership team, superficially more qualified or more of a natural fit for the PM job, etc. etc.

Could be disastrous if he wins (right now I really don't know who would be better/worse, I'm not particularly inspired by either) but that seems to be the way things are moving at the moment. There's a lot of time to April however..

Starmer has been playing it fairly balanced in his public views on JC, starting off by praising 'some things' he did (part of Starmer's opening 'I'm a radical, really' gambit) and then being a bit critical and now saying forget the past.**
RLB foolishly made the first big opening headline related to get campaign '10/10 for Corbyn' and is now trying for balance.
Honestly one of the main negatives against RLB right now is that he campaign has been pretty bad so far. I hope she gets it together so at least there is more of an even playing field.

I don't know about the Momentum endorsement, in general there seems to be a suspicion that whilst its members are a great asset to Labour's campaigning strength, the leadership is a bit isolated from the rest of the organisation? There seemed to be a lot of momentum people expressing anger at how the endorsement vote was conducted (yes/no for RLB) though that's only anecdotal from Twitter. I honestly think RLB is underestimating the level of disillusionment amongst members at the moment.

I'm a bit miffed that Unite didn't canvass the members (or if they did, I never got the email!) even though I would have gone for RLB - but I'm not inspired by any of the leader candidates.
Still torn between Burgon (and his excellent musical tastes) and Butler. Edging towards Butler at the moment.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

ronya posted:

Reports of Momentum's influence (also its unity and its radicalism) at the moment seem somewhat exaggerated. Currently the big Momentum push is... phone-banking for RLB!! It hasn't really coordinated anything other than that so far, or if it has then it hasn't shared any details with its members. The Starmer campaign has managed more influencing-the-influencers from what little I've seen reported.

At the moment it's less than impressive, has to be said.

(ed: might just be where I am, maybe other local Momentum groups are organising more?)

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 25, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ronya posted:

Oh gently caress, thats a real tweet. There is far too much about the Blair years to criticise and claiming we shouldn't out of fear of division is just begging to fail to learn from it.

Starmer really coming out all melt to the surprise of no oval office who has paid attention

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Starmer has a problem now that Jess Phillips has dropped out and Lisa Nandy is trying to push her left wing credentials, especially by saying that New Labour made a mistake by being too Thatcherite. By saying that we shouldn't trash the last Labour government he is now firmly the most right wing candidate and the Blairite choice.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm quite confused about Nandy, seems to be either left or right depending on who's talking about her at the time

I wonder who Owen Jones is going to pick, apparently he encouraged Nandy to stand for leader in 2015

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Paperhouse posted:

I'm quite confused about Nandy, seems to be either left or right depending on who's talking about her at the time

I wonder who Owen Jones is going to pick, apparently he encouraged Nandy to stand for leader in 2015

Jones thought Nandy was the most left person who could win in 2015, obviously that's not the case today.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ronya posted:

lol he has the tucker carlson condition where he always has the same facial expression

but the facial expression is "look, i'm sorry, yes, i know you're upset, but we had a good reason for doing it" which is an extremely strong posture vs bojo

i wouldn't mind if nandy won atm but thats basically because i dont like kier or RLB and i dont know about nandy so she wins by default

chestnut santabag posted:

Boris Johnson is the least "prime ministerial" looking actual prime minister since loving forever and the tories still got a big majority.

he looks like a fat inbred posho and he lies blatantly while looking you in the eye, so he's extremely prime ministerial looking imo

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He looks like a particularly stiff actor trying to portray fear.