Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

I feel like the insta build town hall is big too. They can keep taking your expos out and you can keep building them around the map with a wind walking blademaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

gotta say, i went from being a huge fan of orc orb to thinking it's actually bad for our strat. picking off single units is cool and good but the real poo poo that wins you games is hero snipes. having a full duration hex (and entangle, but that's a much more specific scenario for the very rare event that the enemy is also abusing staff of save unit) is very crucial to killing the death knight and forcing the undead to rage quit. purge orb is just bad news for that imo

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
Where do you guys go for build guides?

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

Mokhu posted:

what is that

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Played Warcraft 3 a ton back in the day, the day being 17~ years ago. I even remember playing a leaked beta copy and it became an instant buy. We usually played 2v2s, highest we ever got was in the mid 30s on ladder sometime after Frozen Throne released. Anyway, life happened, I finished university and moved away and we never played again. Cut to last October when I found out about Reforged, we decided to try and get into it and keep up with a weekly game night. Jumped into the beta a few days ago and...

I really hope that the beta is not representative of the final product, although I don't know how it couldn't be at this point. The servers have terrible lag spikes that create 1-3 second hangs. The graphics badly need some video control sliders because the contrast is way too low on the units while the fog of war is so dark I can't see the map underneath. The controls are occasionally unresponsive, or maybe my keyboard is dying but sometimes I'll click a number to jump to a control group and nothing happens, then I have to mash the button and finally it does. Also I lowered my graphics settings and turned off some effects and my frame rate got worse. Which is funny because I was getting 60 smooth as silk with everything on, but for some reason lowering things makes it drop down to 45.

Trying to get my legs back under me is a tough battle. Micro is hard. Splitting my focus so I remember to be churning out units while clearing a creep or harassing is difficult. One friend wants to play Orc and the other Human so I'll probably be playing NE. The lack of early healing is rough. I'm sure I'll get used to it but overall Reforged has some problems under the hood that are really hurting the overall experience though.

Mokhu posted:

I found a few on Reddit that give matchup advice, otherwise I just tried to watch some of Grubby's games on YouTube.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mokhu posted:

I'd just hit B and then T.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
For builds just watch progames. The macro in this game is mechanically simple so there's no reason not to copy the early builds and creep patterns that the top pros are doing.
There's definitely some corners you can cut to optimize for team games but I don't think this info is collected anywhere...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Wow I thought the b.net launcher was pretty lame before but they somehow redesigned it to be far shittier?

Is there seriously not a downloads page to see what the launcher is currently downloading

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I took another look at more side-by-side model comparisons and something I really noticed was the art team's habit of introducing new colors and generally brightening up units. Dryads had grayish-purple deerparts. Reforged features light brown instead. Dreadlords were primarily black with a white face, probably as a reference to Nosferatu. Now they're extremely pink.

It also really bugs me that the Samuro model lost its TC pants. It has even less team coloring than it did before.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kith posted:

I took another look at more side-by-side model comparisons and something I really noticed was the art team's habit of introducing new colors and generally brightening up units. Dryads had grayish-purple deerparts. Reforged features light brown instead. Dreadlords were primarily black with a white face, probably as a reference to Nosferatu. Now they're extremely pink.

It also really bugs me that the Samuro model lost its TC pants. It has even less team coloring than it did before.

It's very... not readable too. I played a round of pyramid escape, and the minigame where you have to count the green skeletons or whatever was stupidly hard with the new models

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Skeletons are the worst redesigned unit imho. Honestly the beta has been kinda fun but... mostly I'm glad it's given TOWA a chance to do their thing, they really gave up on the product partway though. Hopefully the actual launch will have some form of competitive matchmaking.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
The warcraft assets in the Heroes of the Storm Alterac Valley map look great and fit the original art style. I'm not sure why that wasn't the direction for reforged (probably because it was farmed out to some other company).

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

The game is available for download now.

Patch notes: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/warcraft-iii-reforged-patch-notes/14023

They also put out the video for Arthas v Illidan and uh... it's really bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x8KRXr0Ilc

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Yep that is pretty, pretty bad. Are there any starcraft-style tug of war customs other than castle fight? Castle fight is... very slow

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Frustrated posted:

They also put out the video for Arthas v Illidan and uh... it's really bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x8KRXr0Ilc

Yikes the movements are as lifeless as the blizzard franchises

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Frustrated posted:

It's like RWBY level animation and the models just look off enough to be fan works.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Frustrated posted:

Patch notes: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/warcraft-iii-reforged-patch-notes/14023

holy gently caress that's horrid

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Like I think Hey Arnold had better fight scenes than that

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
so, apparently people are saying it's exactly what people thought it would be: just a re-skin with new models. some cutscenes have new camera angles and animations, but it seems like any changes to the campaign basically stop halfway through the first human one.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Lol doesn't appear to be mmr or a ladder or matchmaking. For an RTS.

Nor profiles. Somehow this has less features than 20 years ago.

edit: and they made children NPC's unkillable lololol.

edit 2, last complaint. Typos everywhere. This is as rushed a job as feared.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 29, 2020

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
Grubby, on twitch, is trying to play the campaign. Only the first mission doesn't start, but rather boots him straight to the Defeat screen.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Maybe one day Grubby will get good enough to beat the first campaign mission

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Doc Walrus posted:

Like I think Hey Arnold had better fight scenes than that

not an emptyquote

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
They redrew the loading maps but didn't make them consistent with WoW. $30 skin pack.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Lol doesn't appear to be mmr or a ladder or matchmaking. For an RTS.

Nor profiles. Somehow this has less features than 20 years ago.

edit: and they made children NPC's unkillable lololol.

edit 2, last complaint. Typos everywhere. This is as rushed a job as feared.

Should change the thread title to "Warcraft III: Refunded"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frustrated posted:

The animation is completely lifeless. This was half-assed as gently caress.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
lmao there are specific doodads that tank the frame rate when they're on screen. A fountain and a fire pit, both of them in Human mission 3.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fel Orc Firebat is nowhere to be found in the editor, refunding game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This is whatever the opposite of polished is, holy poo poo

The game runs at 144hz but the character models.... I swear they're animating at like 20fps. The game camera moves smoothly, but the character models are super loving stuttery.

The UI is awkward at best. Some of the new art is good... but everything just feels very thrown together.

YOU CANNOT START AN OFFLINE COMP STOMP MATCH. To play vs AI, you have to reserve an online lobby, which the servers are having issues right now. Awesome work!

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

YOU CANNOT START AN OFFLINE COMP STOMP MATCH. To play vs AI, you have to reserve an online lobby, which the servers are having issues right now. Awesome work!

This is absurd.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

I thought it was going to be a bad rush job but this is just depressing

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Trip report:

-can't join any custom games
-messages aren't going through to chat lobbies
-the menus are loving laggy as poo poo
-starting the campaign kicks you back to the menu

what the gently caress is this, NOTHING works

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So they didn't allow the beta to install on macs, and man does it show. The menu screen is about 10fps on my iMac 5k at 720p with everything on low. If i put it into fullscreen windows the mouse shoots all over the screen and my volume up and down puts the game in the background and takes me to my desktop. Once I load campaign the game runs ok as long as i don't use any of my media keys on the keyboard, or that minimizes the game. I also can't even finishing the first mission without crashing out.

I know..mac gaming, but if they didn't want to support the game on mac, don't sell it for mac.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
jfc there isn't even an animation to cover the previous model despawning and the new one popping into place when Medivh transforms.

I'm loath to agree with the official forums but someone compared this to the RE2 Remake and it's pretty damning when you view it from that perspective. Rather than doing anything to actually improve or change the game, Blizzard did the bare minimum to make it look pretty and shoved it out the door. What a disappointment.

Refunded.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 29, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
it's also kind of ugly like when you ever get into a game. the portraits have barely any animation, lip-sync or even character. at first i thought they just didn't animate.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
when you finish a campaign mission you have to click continue campaign as per normal... whereupon it kicks you back to the lobby screen where you have to click continue again...

i've noticed that there doesn't appear to be a custom campaign option, either. is that something that's just been cut out?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

1stGear posted:

jfc there isn't even an animation to cover the previous model despawning and the new one popping into place when Medivh transforms.

I'm loath to agree with the official forums but someone compared this to the RE2 Remake and it's pretty damning when you view it from that perspective. Rather than doing anything to actually improve or change the game, Blizzard did the bare minimum to make it look pretty and shoved it out the door. What a disappointment.

Refunded.
It's not even a graphical upgrade. The new models, portraits, and images are hard to read in-game (Iess player color), have no consistent art style, don't fit into the game world, and for portraits/icons especially are a straight downgrade. There are also tons of missing animations.

Heck, that ending cinematic is worse than the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB82pF_64mw

and even worse than a fan made one from 3 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC9RZTD2MaI

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 29, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Khorne posted:

It's not even a graphical upgrade. The new models, portraits, and images are hard to read in-game (Iess player color), have no consistent art style, don't fit into the game world, and for portraits/icons especially are a straight downgrade.

Heck, that ending cinematic is worse than the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB82pF_64mw

and even worse than a fan made one from 3 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC9RZTD2MaI

apparently a ton of units that used to have multiple attack or spell animations only have one of each now

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So I went to boot up my old copy of WC3 up since the remaster is apparently trash and I had to update to Reforged and now I can’t even play AI stomps anymore because I have to make an online game to do so and...yeah.
The remaster is so bad it turned the original game of WC3 into a worse version of itself with all the same bugs and garbage UI.
How do you manage to gently caress everything up that I need to figure out how to reinstall and get the game back to a patch that isn’t trash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
apparently there are changes to the dialogue. every time thrall or his orcs used to say 'grom' they now have it awkwardly cut-and-paste replaced with 'hellscream'