Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's total generated energy. Here is a cool chart in English

https://www.energy-charts.de/energy_pie.htm?year=2019

It's "net generation"(whatever that means) so the numbers are slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

It's total generated energy. Here is a cool chart in English

https://www.energy-charts.de/energy_pie.htm?year=2019

It's "net generation"(whatever that means) so the numbers are slightly different.

I'm fairly certain that the 8.2% biomass is mostly American timber made into wood pellets. It counts as renewables without accounting for transportation emissions.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

A quick Wikipedia search shows that China barely has any Nuclear Power but I’m still completely lost if they are intended to use it has a base load. A few article sort of allude to it but the complexity behind such a plan is extreme.

To clarify, China is using nuclear power for base load right now, what you're lost on is how much of their base load is planned to be nuclear in the future

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, I'm confused too. Earlier in this thread, it was commonly posted that China is more committed to nuclear power than the US. And that the US is ignorant & backwards when compared to China & other Asian countries for not learning to love the atom.

China only being 5% nuclear powered is not really a big commitment. Maybe this is hinting at the idea that nuclear power might not really be the slam dunk technology this thread thinks it is?

Comparing "% of total capacity, today" doesn't really make much sense when determining a nation's relative commitment to nuclear power. Put one rover on the moon with a MMRTG generator in it and suddenly the moon is "the most committed to nuclear power" lol

To put the numbers in simpler terms, today China has almost as much nuclear power capacity as the United States does, but they plan to produce a lot more than we plan to produce. While we're in the process of building 2 reactors, they're building 11. While we are in the planning stage to build 10 more, they have plans to build 50.

To create a car analogy, we're just a little down the street from them, but they're driving at 40 mph while we're trying to pull out of a parking spot. And you're asking "well aren't we really more committed to going fast?"

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jesus Christ guys, Rolling Stone is not for serious journalists, I don't even need to read it to tell you it's full of poo poo. The author is known for hit pieces on oil and gas that are just wrong on the facts, so it''s not worth the time to debunk. Anything specific you have questions about, post them here and if I know I'll respond.

Re: what went wrong here, I don't know why there was a blowout, but you don't need more regulation to solve them as there are already severe financial incentives to avoid them. In California, you have a blowout prevention and control plan, weekly drills, and our regulatory agency (now called CALGEM as of 2020, but everyone still calls them DOGGR) can witness these drills. It's still too early to see what people in the know think of the data from the satellite, as they extrapolated the entire leak from one day's worth of data, but the EDF has been working with the oil and gas industry on the satellite and other methane monitoring methods. I'm not an reservoir engineer, but I work with them for my job and extrapolating how much oil and gas was in a formation based on limited data points is always part of the fight in litigation. I will say that at least this article doesn't use FLIR to attempt to show leaks, although I thought it did when I saw it weeks ago. Someone using FLIR to try and show leaks at a drilling or production site is almost always wrong and just making poo poo up, FYI. At least if the satellite's methods are proven we'll have real data we can use.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, 42% how often and how long, that almost sounds like they are padding their numbers...

I'm with you on this one, only because I don't see them making such a drastic change in one year. Speaking of Germany and nukes, here's a working paper on how much Germany's phasing out of nuclear power has cost them, which attempts to take into account things such as health issues from burning coal, which are very real. An interesting quote from the paper:

quote:

Specifically, over 70% of the cost of the nuclear phase-out is due to the increased mortality risk from local air pollution exposure as a consequence of producing electricity by burning fossil fuels rather than utilizing nuclear sources

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Radon in Marcellus Shale gas

*edit*
Our biggest drop in CO2 emissions is going to be another worldwide recession, which surely is coming in a few years, unless the new monetary policies are going to keep the markets going up and up forever. I highly doubt that, but who knows.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 25, 2020

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

Jesus Christ guys, Rolling Stone is not for serious journalists,

I'm not going to comment on the article, but this line of thinking isn't great. You should judge a piece on its merits.

There was a time when some of the best journalism in Australia was coming out of loving BuzzFeed.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

True, or Teen Vogue. I should have expanded more that you can find things debunking pretty much anything Justin Nobel publishes about oil and gas, so it's just not worth getting into it. He's a keep it in the ground activist and you'll spend 10x the energy refuting bullshit as it takes him to write it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

Jesus Christ guys, Rolling Stone is not for serious journalists, I don't even need to read it to tell you it's full of poo poo. The author is known for hit pieces on oil and gas that are just wrong on the facts, so it''s not worth the time to debunk. Anything specific you have questions about, post them here and if I know I'll respond.

It cites New York Times articles that report on similar concerns, is the New York Times also not for serious journalists? Rolling Stone isn't some conspiracy theorist rag, they publish legitimate stories.

Like this is just pointing that when it comes to certain geographical regions oil and gas drilling is going to dredge up a bunch of naturally-occurring radioactive material. Are you disagreeing with that?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Think of any thing you know well that may not common knowledge among the typical New York Times crowd. For me it'd be oil and gas, guns, raves, and computers, but I'm sure everyone here has interests that aren't well understood by the common man. Now go read things written by the NYT and you'll find that yes, they're often not reliable too. I don't mean this as some dumb "fake news" I only watch Fox bullshit (I don't watch any news, but it certainly wouldn't be Fox), but you'll see the more technical it gets, the less your average journalist is able to understand it. The NYT article linked to is from 1990, if there was a big issue it seems it would have come up again in the past 30 years.

Here's a study commissioned by West Virginia on the disposal of drilling wastes at landfills

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm with you on this one, only because I don't see them making such a drastic change in one year.

A 5% YoY change is significant, but its not so drastic as to make assuming the numbers are faked the more reasonable assumption.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MomJeans420 posted:

Think of any thing you know well that may not common knowledge among the typical New York Times crowd. For me it'd be oil and gas, guns, raves, and computers, but I'm sure everyone here has interests that aren't well understood by the common man

I know a reasonable amount about nuclear physics and nuclear medicine, certainly more than "the common man," and there are things in that article that strike me as a legitimate concern, if they're being reported accurately. There are also things in that article that are clearly bullshit even if the reporter is being 100% accurate in his reporting. But I can't just say "Lol, Rolling Stone, it's obviously all fake."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

Think of any thing you know well that may not common knowledge among the typical New York Times crowd. For me it'd be oil and gas, guns, raves, and computers, but I'm sure everyone here has interests that aren't well understood by the common man. Now go read things written by the NYT and you'll find that yes, they're often not reliable too. I don't mean this as some dumb "fake news" I only watch Fox bullshit (I don't watch any news, but it certainly wouldn't be Fox), but you'll see the more technical it gets, the less your average journalist is able to understand it. The NYT article linked to is from 1990, if there was a big issue it seems it would have come up again in the past 30 years.

Here's a study commissioned by West Virginia on the disposal of drilling wastes at landfills

I think it's well known that even the best popsci sources are bad at reporting on technical topics, but as a technical person I did not find significant issues with this rolling stone article, certainly not to the extent that you have (e.g. "everything written here is bullshit"). And you are still returning to attacking the source instead of the content. So I will repeat my question:

QuarkJets posted:

Like this is just pointing that when it comes to certain geographical regions oil and gas drilling is going to dredge up a bunch of naturally-occurring radioactive material. Are you disagreeing with that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

if there was a big issue it seems it would have come up again in the past 30 years.

"Ah yes, well if we've known about an issue for a while but somehow industry manages to silence criticism it must not be too bad" they said while the planet burns.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

"Ah yes, well if we've known about an issue for a while but somehow industry manages to silence criticism it must not be too bad" they said while the planet burns.

Nevermind that this article (that momjeans clearly just skimmed) is also citing peer-reviewed publications from the last few years

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Rolling Stone definitely has an entirely serious and legitimate hard news unit led by Matt Taibbi and Michael Hastings. They focus on in-depth feature reporting, and have broken a lot of important stories. They're an award-winning news organization. Anyone who is doubting that should immediately rethink their media source diet.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

A 5% YoY change is significant, but its not so drastic as to make assuming the numbers are faked the more reasonable assumption.

Solar and wind power have huge fluctuations due to weather. When they make up almost half your power generation you get pretty wild fluctuations on a year to year basis.

A better metric would be to look at yearly added capacity and these figures look very bad. 2018 was pathetic, 2019 and absolute disaster. Expansion has pretty much stopped due to NIMBYsm. There is zero interest from the Merkel government to change anything about it. Lots of early subsidized installation are going offline this year so we might start to see shrinking capacity soon.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Gas geben.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

this might not be the right place, but does anyone here work in commercial solar? if you were say a middle aged person with a bad back, and therefore not really capable of starting from the "bottom" (physical labor on roofs), how would you go about getting a foot in the door? I'm thinking anything along the lines of sales engineering, or installation project management.

For instance, I read this post and think "this thing is going to sell like hot-cakes":
https://runonsun.solar/~runons5/blogs/blog1.php/solworks/est/hands-on-ensemble-my-trip-to-enphase

How can I help accelerate that as a day job?

I'm of course completely unqualified, which is why i'm trying to figure out how and where to start. My operating assumption is that this industry is growing much faster than they can hire qualified people, so on-the-job training has to be "normal" to some degree, right?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

MightyBigMinus posted:

this might not be the right place, but does anyone here work in commercial solar? if you were say a middle aged person with a bad back, and therefore not really capable of starting from the "bottom" (physical labor on roofs), how would you go about getting a foot in the door? I'm thinking anything along the lines of sales engineering, or installation project management.

For instance, I read this post and think "this thing is going to sell like hot-cakes":
https://runonsun.solar/~runons5/blogs/blog1.php/solworks/est/hands-on-ensemble-my-trip-to-enphase

How can I help accelerate that as a day job?

I'm of course completely unqualified, which is why i'm trying to figure out how and where to start. My operating assumption is that this industry is growing much faster than they can hire qualified people, so on-the-job training has to be "normal" to some degree, right?

I worked for Enphase when they were still a startup, and know multiple fellow graduates of my bachelors program that work there still. They're a good company in general. You have to have an engineering degree to get in on the high level stuff. If you lack that then you're going to end up in the admin side of things, and that's just luck, networking, and persistence.

Project management for, and installation of said equipment is something that can be trained up, but you have to find a company willing to build you up. Some electrical experience will be required so maybe starting with some trade skills as an electrician and working on a pathway to becoming an installer of some kind. You'll want to take some basic electrical engineering courses as well if possible.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
FYI:

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-01-22/california-needs-clean-energy-after-sundown-geothermal-could-be-the-answer

Three local energy providers have signed contracts this month for electricity from new geothermal power plants, one in Imperial County near the Salton Sea and the other in Mono County along the Eastern Sierra. The new plants will be the first geothermal facilities built in California in nearly a decade — potentially marking a long-awaited turning point for a technology that could play a critical role in the state’s transition to cleaner energy sources.

The U.S. Geological Survey estimated in 2008 that California has nearly 15,000 megawatts of geothermal potential — nearly one-fifth of the total capacity of all power plants in the state today. That number could rise substantially if energy companies are able to develop new technologies that allow them to exploit deeper, lower-temperature geothermal reservoirs that currently aren’t economically feasible.

What are the environmental impacts of this? How do the costs and time for construction compare to nuclear and natural gas?

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

hopefully they hit the wrong fault line, trigger "the big one", and knock off a fifth of US GDP for a decade

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I too wish for millions of deaths

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

VideoGameVet posted:

What are the environmental impacts of this? How do the costs and time for construction compare to nuclear and natural gas?

Depends on the methods. If they’re hitting the low hanging fruit and simple binary installs, cheap as gently caress with low ongoing maintenance - 90% yearly uptime at stable baseload generation , installation for nameplate capacity at around $1.3m/mW up to 60?

https://refman.energytransitionmodel.com/publications/1280/download

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Awesome installation costs, in line with large reciprocating HFO units on upfront capex with the obviously far lower ongoing costs.

How often does an otherwise good well end up not being a goer based upon pollutants? Obvious one being SO2 but as with fracking, it is disturbing a wide variety of geological strata.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
What's with all the rumblings from Rolls Royce regarding micro nuclear plants?

I guess they plan on building 15 reactors in the UK . U couldn't find much for details.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What's with all the rumblings from Rolls Royce regarding micro nuclear plants?

I guess they plan on building 15 reactors in the UK . U couldn't find much for details.

their renders don't inspire me with confidence that they're on the AM and instead it looks pretty FM:

https://www.rolls-royce.com/products-and-services/nuclear/small-modular-reactors.aspx

https://newatlas.com/energy/rolls-royce-plans-mini-nuclear-reactors-in-britain/

They estimate costs at $78 per MWh, which is a floor. For context the current low range price on PV+storage with existing technology is ~$100 according to lazard.

technical description for nerding out to: https://www.rolls-royce.com/~/media/Files/R/Rolls-Royce/documents/customers/nuclear/smr-technical-summary.pdf

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Trabisnikof posted:

their renders don't inspire me with confidence that they're on the AM and instead it looks pretty FM:

https://www.rolls-royce.com/products-and-services/nuclear/small-modular-reactors.aspx

They estimate costs at $78 per MWh, which is a floor. For context the current low range price on PV+storage with existing technology is ~$100 according to lazard.

technical description for nerding out to: https://www.rolls-royce.com/~/media/Files/R/Rolls-Royce/documents/customers/nuclear/smr-technical-summary.pdf

Does that cost include the cost of decomissioning&disposal?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Does that cost include the cost of decomissioning&disposal?

Probably not

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Were they intentionally going for 'Mothra egg' with this design or was that a happy coincidence?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

This is an awful design.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
First time I'm hearing about the RR plant, this is pretty interesting. What are the chances they'll hit those cost estimates though? Well maybe after Brexit it will be under $78/MWh after all...

Family Values posted:

Were they intentionally going for 'Mothra egg' with this design or was that a happy coincidence?

They were going for your mom's dildo

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm being deployed for three weeks to decapitate and repower some old Clipper towers in Texas. While reading up on the (pretty drat cool and innovative) quad-generator direct-drive tech Clipper had, I discovered that South Dakota could have been 100% renewable and a net energy exporter ten years ago.

Keep in mind that 17TWh of annual generation assumed 2.5MW turbines, and we're building 4.2MW on land these days. Repowering the shitbox old Mitsubishi towers down at Roscoe, for example, would bring it from 800MW to 3.6GW. That's a decent nuke plant or hydro dam, and you ain't buying a reactor for $1 Billion.

Never forget: the only roadblock to a renewable grid is political will and the money handcuffing it. :science:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 29, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/karnfull_en/status/1225085709805113350?s=19

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rime posted:

Keep in mind that 17TWh of annual generation assumed 2.5MW turbines, and we're building 4.2MW on land these days. Repowering the shitbox old Mitsubishi towers down at Roscoe, for example, would bring it from 800MW to 3.6GW. That's a decent nuke plant or hydro dam, and you ain't buying a reactor for $1 Billion.

3.6GW nameplate or actual including capacity factor? Lifetime of the units?

CommieGIR posted:

This is an awful design.

How exactly did they gently caress up and how bad is it in your view?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

suck my woke dick posted:

3.6GW nameplate or actual including capacity factor? Lifetime of the units?

Should be nameplate power, as is the standard in the electric industry.

If I had to take a guess based on South Dakota wind resource id's say 40%-ish capacity factor, and 25 year lifetime.

Capacity factor is somewhat tricky in the wind industry tough, because you can put a huge rotor in front of a small generator and be doing a really high capacity factor but lovely LCOE.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, what they said ^.

We're putting up 150m rotors on 90m towers now, those things will put out a megawatt if you sneeze at them.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
I did my thesis on rock radioactivity. I used to collect samples of rocks, smash them up, and put them through a Gamma Ray spectrometer to measure radioactivity. I had some fun, rather radioactive, samples with high potassium counts. What you would expect for rhyolites. We also had access to core samples of the Bakken from North Dakota. My most radioactive, highest percentage of U, Th, and K samples did not hold a candle to how radioactive the Bakken core was.

Additionally the use of FLIR cameras to identify leaks of light hydrocarbons is a solid technology so I dunno what the complaint is

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

does anyone have any insider opinions (or even just industry-familiarity) with NREL? are they really doing cool poo poo? or is it just some federal bureaucracy limping along post-perry/trump gutting? is the stuff they do moving the ball, or just meta-analysis of what industry (or china) is doing to move the ball?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

does anyone have any insider opinions (or even just industry-familiarity) with NREL? are they really doing cool poo poo? or is it just some federal bureaucracy limping along post-perry/trump gutting? is the stuff they do moving the ball, or just meta-analysis of what industry (or china) is doing to move the ball?

They do lots of really good research and are the premiere (but still token) renewables lab in the national lab system, the rest of which are nuclear (weapons) except the other token fossil fuel lab.

They’ve faired better than other government agencies under Trump since they’re part of the national lab system.

What’s the context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

MightyBigMinus posted:

They do a lot of analysis, and basically they are the grandaddy of all the non-Silicon based thin film solar cells out there. Besides the perovskite solar cells.

But they get chump change next to the weapons labs.