Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ashpanash posted:

If all the good place architects bailed, who's working with the bad place architects to continue to design the new afterlife scenarios? Wasn't that what was presented to us as the plan?

It may have just been the exclusively Good Place architects that bailed. The ones working with the Demons are now Medium-Place architects, and they are probably a lot happier than the chucklefucks stuck in the main Good Place because they don't have to think about that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MadJackal posted:

So the only difference between suicide on Earth versus living a good life to its fullest, helping everyone around you and eventually dying naturally is getting an Unlimited Pass to the Best VR Experience Ever, followed by inevitable suicide.

That's your eternal reward for not screwing over everyone around you.

And also since the show isn't going to commit to full blown Catholic Church philosophy and declare that people who commit suicide on Earth are barred from Eternal Peace, that means the only punishment for living a horrific life on Earth for their own selfish purposes is the exact same True Death of Eternal Braindead Peace (minus the couple century pass at Heaven's VR Fucktopia).

100%, if you wanted to min-max this philosophy, you should Boomer your loving balls off and abuse everything around you to your own benefit, because ultimately nothing matters and eventually you'll either wind up stuck in the backwash of reincarnation for eternity or you'll eventually finally be given the Gift of Perfect Suicide.

gently caress me.

maybe wait for the finale before being this much of a raging rear end in a top hat

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Undead Hippo posted:

"There is a door, and if you enter it you cease to exist."
"There is a door, and if you enter it your consciousness is erased and you are given an entirely new physical being, located in a different place with no continuity with your past incarnation."

Seems like splitting hairs really.

Eh, reincarnation implies a continuity of some kind of basic essence, so there's definitely a difference. Especially the way the show treats the reboots (full reboots or partial) as still meaningfully the same as the original.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I feel like if reincarnation was a thing in this universe, it would have been mentioned already

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The effect of the Actual Good Place reminds me of the Doldrums from Phantom Tollbooth, with the difference being that the Doldrums is doing it intentionally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_orXUrQOEE

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
It is really interesting to see the range of reactions to their solution. To me it felt very elegant and beautiful, it restored the mystery of death to this eternal waiting room that had been created to prevent it.

And "Death gives life meaning" is not a platitude, it is literally the truth. There will never be a version of human life without death, so it is just a basic fact. That we can try to imagine what it might be like to live forever doesn't make it true, so the fact will always exist that death is part of life, and part of what gives it form and purpose.

My complaint with this episode is that it felt a bit rushed. I think that finding out the Good Place is hosed and figuring out a solution could have been a great multi-episode arc. It is hard not to think back on the Brent/Simone episodes and feel like we wasted too much time with that part of the story.

But there is still the ending left to go, and I really have no idea how this will end. There are so many ways it could go, from a long sad goodbye to a final twist, to someone higher up the chain coming to block the use of the Death Door. This show is really about philosophy and punishment rather than life and death, but you never know: there's still time for a Bill Murray-as-God appearance!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ishamael posted:

It is really interesting to see the range of reactions to their solution. To me it felt very elegant and beautiful, it restored the mystery of death to this eternal waiting room that had been created to prevent it.

And "Death gives life meaning" is not a platitude, it is literally the truth. There will never be a version of human life without death, so it is just a basic fact. That we can try to imagine what it might be like to live forever doesn't make it true, so the fact will always exist that death is part of life, and part of what gives it form and purpose.

There won't be a human life without death - but there is in this show. So that's silly.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I feel like if reincarnation was a thing in this universe, it would have been mentioned already

Yeah, I'm predicting that they'll invent it.

Ishamael posted:

That means death has some contribution to life's meaning, but its often used to mean "Death allows life to find a purpose" which comes awfully close to saying that death is a good thing. Yeah, the finality of peoples existence is a huge deal, but death loving sucks.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That means death has some contribution to life's meaning, but its often used to mean "Death allows life to find a purpose" which comes awfully close to saying that death is a good thing. Yeah, the finality of peoples existence is a huge deal, but death loving sucks.

It feels like the show might be trying to say that the only thing that sucks more than dying is living forever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm not sure how all these reincarnation supporters want this to go. So you are in the Good Place and go through the reincarnation door, you are reborn on Earth and live a different live not knowing about your one from before, you die again. Now this new person who lived a different life do they get unwillingly merged with who they were before?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

The Energy You Had When You Were Twelve.

This is the bad place!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Ha I just rewatched the funeral episode and when Michael makes the argument about the Friends characters the only one he says should be in the good place is Phoebe.

Haha, I didn't make the connection. That's amazing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Death loving sucks but it's also very definitely a good thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's funny, but the solution to the Good Place (the place) actually reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode "A Nice Place to Visit", where a crook dies and his afterlife is everything he ever wanted: dames hanging off him, gambling where he always wins, heists where he always gets away.

Of course he soon realizes that getting everything you want with no challenge or effort sucks all the fun out of it and the twist is that he's actually in Hell.

Before I watched this series, I always felt that "Nice Place to Visit" was a low-to-middling episode, but now I appreciate it more.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Kazy posted:

The series is going to end up with the gang walking through the door, then waking up and seeing a huge sign that says "Welcome! Everything is fine."

This is my favorite idea yet.

socialsecurity posted:

I'm not sure how all these reincarnation supporters want this to go. So you are in the Good Place and go through the reincarnation door, you are reborn on Earth and live a different live not knowing about your one from before, you die again. Now this new person who lived a different life do they get unwillingly merged with who they were before?

Maybe. I think you would still be "you" like at the level of your soul, but you would have led different lives. It's just an evolution of being rebooted in your same body. Except now you would be in a different body with a different personality, but you'd still have that little voice in your head from what you learned before.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the good place is not heaven

the catholic church doesn't unequivocally condemn deaths by suicide to hell

dead people cannot commit suicide

the explanation they gave of the door is not how buddhists talk about nirvana

please read books

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the good place is not heaven

the catholic church doesn't unequivocally condemn deaths by suicide to hell

dead people cannot commit suicide

the explanation they gave of the door is not how buddhists talk about nirvana

please read books
You make some compelling arguments here; have you considered nailing them to a door? (Wordy way to say “username/post combo” :haw:)

I think the “we don’t know what’s behind the door” will be key and I’m prepared to be gently but pleasantly surprised by whatever they find beyond it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The black mirror episode “san junipero” is good for this too. A perfect afterlife so people start doing more and more ‘harmful’ things just to feel something.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Exactly like the partial reboots they described last episode. It's a "new" you, but a little core part of your personality carries over.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

socialsecurity posted:

I love the idea and here's my take:

It's a new realm. All souls are from the Good Place. You reserve a new birth and that's your entry.

Time stops when there's empty seats. All humans must have souls.

Your character is intact. It's still you, just with blanked memory and the quirks of developmental phases. On exit, it's like remembering where you left your car keys.

This would be rad. Especially if you could get weird with it like spending a week as a tardigrade or simultaneously being 500 people at once.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

This is my favorite idea yet.

Maybe. I think you would still be "you" like at the level of your soul, but you would have led different lives. It's just an evolution of being rebooted in your same body. Except now you would be in a different body with a different personality, but you'd still have that little voice in your head from what you learned before.

New Game+? No way man, that would be imbalanced and unfair to people who still had to learn and grow that voice from scratch. If there's a new game plus mode for life, they should all have to play together in the same universe server.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
The day before the episode aired I was watching the episode "Gripes of Wrath" from Duckman of all things. In the episode a super computer solves all of life's problems creating a Utopia. However within a month it's apocalyptic for very much the same reasons as the Good Place.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It keeps reminding me of the book The Management Styles of the Supreme Beings, where God sells the Earth to another pair of deities (who used to be a pair of air spirits on Mars that built an empire so they were worshiped on many worlds before God gave them Earth too) so that he can take a break as he feels he's losing his touch and someone else can tackle it with a fresh perspective. However, they introduce themselves to the population of Earth leaving no doubts about what there is and how it works, and shut down hell completely, preferring a pay-as-you-sin system that results in no one sinning simply because they literally cannot afford it. Politicians become honest, the crime rate drops to nothing, everyone has all the food and shelter and money they could want as the world now works, but no one is happy because every time they so much as think something bad, a little window pops up with an accountant who's just like "Hey, so if you act on that, that'll be about $10000. Are you sure?"

Also the punishment they do come up with is somehow crueler than infinite torture. If you do something and can't pay, you go to a debtor's prison that is magical in nature. You just sit there. No moving, or interaction with other people, just... waiting. The sentence ends when someone pays the debt, but many people who sin owe so much that that is impossible, and in the prison they need nothing. That means they don't get sick, or hunger for anything. You just sit there for eternity, hoping someone pays your debt even when that chance is basically zero. At least infinite torture in hell you know where you stand, and you can just deal with it. The prison is worse because you have hope.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
In that system, anyone who has money beyond what they need to survive and live happily is sinning by choosing to hold on to their money rather than use it to ease someone else's suffering!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Khanstant posted:

In that system, anyone who has money beyond what they need to survive and live happily is sinning by choosing to hold on to their money rather than use it to ease someone else's suffering!

THat's why things equalise so much. A rich guy can claim to be unable to spread the wealth around, but that's a lie, and so that means he'd be charged for that lie, so he has no incentive not to give his wealth away. It's cheaper to do so than to try to horde it and get charged for avarice, especially given how expensive some sins are. Government level sins are unaffordable because they cost the GDP of a whole country to be allowed, and personal level sins like rape and murder are so expensive to the individual committing them it's not worth it as they'd spend the rest of eternity in a debtors prison. It's an interesting story. Satan has a living human accountant who works for him as a manager (because otherwise he'd have to go back to working for Amazon and working for hell has better benefits) who advises him that they can keep the lights on by changing the purpose of hell to a holiday retreat. It works because humans are drawn to unpleasant things as long as they have the option to leave easily, so a lot of people get curious. They basically sell the idea of morbid curiosity. It's like the London Dungeon or Dracula Experience writ large.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Phenotype posted:

You guys are being super blasé about the prospect of being able to have all your wishes fulfilled. Like, okay, it eventually gets old because there's no challenge but like... how long do you envision it taking before you get bored of it? I have to imagine I'd be happy to live in the magical lap of luxury for at least as long as my lifetime on earth. If they can rig up a way for me to shitpost on the internet and play online video games I might never leave.

The people in the Good Place have been there for a minimum of five hundred years -- the guy with the DDR jacket said he's from 2500 BC. It's gonna take a while before your brain turns to mush. Eternal pleasure until I've experienced everything I've ever wanted to and my brain turns to mush seems like a pretty good reward for being good on earth.

I think there's an implication here that they're on "Jeremy Bearimy" time (which the writers mess with because they want to shoehorn in pop culture jokes, but the underlying philosophy is sound). It's not necessarily five hundred years that's the problem, it's eternity. Given an infinite amount of time, then you'll go through literally every experience there is to have, see the beginning and the end of the universe, start a drunken fistfight with every world leader in history, do every weird sex act ever created to every person who has or will ever live, and then once you've done all that you're still faced with an infinite amount of time ahead of you. At that point, I guess the only thing left to do is to give up the concept of self entirely, and go into the tanks through the door and become one with all the people.

Even reincarnation has essentially the same problem - they can go back and live the life of every being that ever lived, and every hypothetical life they could have lived, and then what? In terms of infinite time, that may as well be instantaneous. Plus once you do that, you start getting into the realm of questions about whether these are four unique 'souls', or if Chidi is going to reincarnate at some point as Eleanor, and vice-versa, and at that point are they just manifestations of the same being?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The problem with "they should just find a way to live forever in the afterlife" is that we, the viewers, can't do that so any solution that involves it is inherently meaningless. Part of the point is to come to terms with your own inevitable death. I think it's really beautiful.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I never liked the abstract critique of infinite life becoming boring. Human brains just don't work on that level, unless the Good Place changes your brain so you have a perfect memory, I can listen to music/watch movies from just a few years ago and have a rollicking good time. Certain drug experiences never get old because they are a complete change from sobriety that always 'feels new'. Plain old missionary sex is always loving great, I guarantee you I'll never get sick of that. Flow states in learning new skills, exercise etc are always fun.

You don't just whinge "but I've done that before!!". Infinity sounds boring but I seriously doubt that a well-adjusted person wouldn't be mostly enjoying themselves in the moment. Especially if all the people you love are hanging out as well.

It's one of those philosophical problems that will always remain abstract but there are people that literally do nothing (meditate) for a majority of their adult lives and they find it meaningful and rewarding, I just don't think that infinity time is a problem for an earthlike human brain. If you can't feel pain, things just appear and you are automatically perfect at anything you try, etc, that's a different story and is maybe the one they're choosing to tell.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Phenotype posted:

You guys are being super blasé about the prospect of being able to have all your wishes fulfilled. Like, okay, it eventually gets old because there's no challenge but like... how long do you envision it taking before you get bored of it? I have to imagine I'd be happy to live in the magical lap of luxury for at least as long as my lifetime on earth. If they can rig up a way for me to shitpost on the internet and play online video games I might never leave.

The people in the Good Place have been there for a minimum of five hundred years -- the guy with the DDR jacket said he's from 2500 BC. It's gonna take a while before your brain turns to mush. Eternal pleasure until I've experienced everything I've ever wanted to and my brain turns to mush seems like a pretty good reward for being good on earth.

4500 years ain't poo poo on the scale of cosmic existence, much less *~eternity~*. if, at the end of the day, you just want the monotony to stop after 100 years or 10,000, the end result is the same

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'd wager that to adapt to immortality you'd need to find a way to stop relating to the world like a normal human, and leave mortal perspectives on pleasure, boredom, etc. behind you to grow into something more stable. Though the Good Place's problem is just as much that there's nothing to strive for, since everything is being handled by superhuman beings.

I guess the two points are related - at some point you'd have to grow up and become the one who actually has to sit down and design flying puppies or perfect symphonies for the new guys, as something to do besides passively consume.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 26, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Eat This Glob posted:

4500 years ain't poo poo on the scale of cosmic existence, much less *~eternity~*. if, at the end of the day, you just want the monotony to stop after 100 years or 10,000, the end result is the same

Yeah, pretty much. You are in a nice place, but you know, that nothing will ever get you out of there and this will continue for an eternity. If course it will be kind of an inescapable prison. And the only way to continously enjoy such a prison is letting your brain shut down and atrophy your centres for critical thinking. The only true way to attain eternal happiness would be some kind of mind altering lobotomy.
The pure existence of such a door reframe everything. You are in this amazing place by choice and get to live there for as long as you want to. "I consodered leaving but on reflection, it's still cool. Let's reconsider in another 10.000 years or two."

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Arist posted:

The problem with "they should just find a way to live forever in the afterlife" is that we, the viewers, can't do that so any solution that involves it is inherently meaningless. Part of the point is to come to terms with your own inevitable death. I think it's really beautiful.

Well said. There’s something compelling about the idea that they found an eternal afterlife and after fixing it realized that *anything* eternal is untenable, and actual death is the only way for things to end.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I would say the Soul Squad did a pretty good job for what is essentially crunch work and an unpaid internship.

The Good Place is secretly about the importance of labor.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Arist posted:

Really agreed.

I am going to be bummed if we actually see what happens when you go through the door. There was something really impactful of Janet admitting she doesn't know what happens.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The real Good Place would surely have infinite seasons of all your favorite shows--versions which never jump the shark, so I don't see the problem with living forever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What if they go through the door and it’s just another level of existence and they’re basically doing the whole thing over with a Michael-like that is just on an even greater plane of existence. The Gooder Place does exist. And beyond that, there’s an even greater place of existence. For infinity.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Mordiceius posted:

What if they go through the door and it’s just another level of existence and they’re basically doing the whole thing over with a Michael-like that is just on an even greater plane of existence. The Gooder Place does exist. And beyond that, there’s an even greater place of existence. For infinity.

I would be completely ok with milkshakes just getting better and better

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
You'd think the Good Place could rewire your brain to where you don't get bored from the awesome things.

Or just go through that door where you can go to any point in history, real or imagined, and be ruler of your own Weed Orgasm Puppies nation for a few billion years. Then destroy it like you would in SimCity and start again.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 26, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mindy St. Claire is the first person to walk through the door, while holding two giant bags of cocaine and giving everyone the double bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel like you could follow a train of thought in that the more of an impact you've made on the world, the longer you'd want to spend in The Good Place.

For example - Hypatia vs dude who cut his hand.

People, for the length of human existence would be interested in going back and meeting Hypatia and look how excited she was when someone new wanted to see her. So the bigger impact you make on earth, the more you make a name for yourself, the more interested people will be in meeting you in the afterlife and the more excitement you'll be able to have from meeting new people.

Dude who cut his hand is a random nobody and at some point, everyone who knew of his existence dies and no one comes to see him, so he is forgotten.

In a way, the larger legacy you create in life, the longer you would probably interested in the afterlife - to the point that once you become a "great historic figure," you potentially create a potentially infinitely interesting afterlife.