Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

There's some handwave about how if he doesn't put them back together immediately, they stay dead, but it's never clarified how long, and it's completely plausible that it's just an excuse because Chisaki doesn't like fixing people.

What is with the villains in this show and having quirks that'd make them great heroes? Is it a deliberate theme? Chisaki being a medical professional would be able to heal Nighteye, Ingenium, even All Might. I know, in fiction, it's because it'd remove all tension, it's just an interesting repeated theme. Many of the villains have powers that could be used to help people to incredible effect, but they're not interested in that.

TL;DR:

Pretty much every villain in the setting besides All For One is a lunatic. Overhaul is more composed and less blatantly insane than the League but he's still clearly a bundle of mental issues.

He despises Quirks and wants only their eradication. That seems to be his main priority. He could make his Yakuza group #1 again without having the stated goal of wiping out Quirk users but the fact he calls them "unclean" or "filth" or "diseased" or whatever gives it away. His primary ambition is not riches or the revival of the Yakuza, it's purging society of Quirks.

I liked him and the last few episodes a lot.

edit:

So apparently this is a big thing the anime left out, a young Overhaul reading a bout how Quirks are maybe a virus spread by rodents

It explains a lot about why he hates Quirks so much.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
All For One also is also pretty distinctly a megalomaniac. On the other hand Magne and Spinner appear to just be unhappy people who are outcasts through no fault of their own and have fallen in with a bad crowd. Compress, also appears pretty stable outside of his hunger for infamy. We haven't see Kurogiri in a while but he appears to be motivated entirely by personal loyalty to AfO/Shigaraki.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Kurogiri just wants to run his bar.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

fool of sound posted:

On the other hand Magne and Spinner appear to just be unhappy people who are outcasts through no fault of their own and have fallen in with a bad crowd.

Spinner maybe, but Magne had a rapsheet we were told of by Tiger. "Guility of nine armed robberies, three murders, and twenty-nine attempted murders."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Spinner maybe, but Magne had a rapsheet we were told of by Tiger. "Guility of nine armed robberies, three murders, and twenty-nine attempted murders."

Well, we don't know that she hadn't already fallen in with the league before they steered her towards those particular crimes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"And, to nobody's suprise, the award for most mentally stable League of Villains member goes to Mr. Compress!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Junpei posted:

"And, to nobody's suprise, the award for most mentally stable League of Villains member goes to Mr. Compress!"

Let's all give him a hand!

...bad time?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, we don't know that she hadn't already fallen in with the league before they steered her towards those particular crimes.

giran only began scouting after stain's rebellion, magne wouldn't have had nearly enough time to build a record like that

hell, her rapsheet was probably half the reason giran scouted her in the first place

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Spinner and Stain are both hiding behind the flimsiest of excuses to justify their own lovely behaviors

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

this seems like a bit of a stretch

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shwqa posted:

Spinner and Stain are both hiding behind the flimsiest of excuses to justify their own lovely behaviors

Well no Spinner is a fanboy, who jumped on a fad. Stain seems to just be crazy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

giran only began scouting after stain's rebellion, magne wouldn't have had nearly enough time to build a record like that

hell, her rapsheet was probably half the reason giran scouted her in the first place

Ah, I'd forgotten, but yeah she was explicitly brought in during that recruiting wave wasn't she?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Giran seems to be pretty good at finding people in general. Well, outside of Muscular and Moonfish- who were just people who wanted to murder with impunity and got in because they were strong.

Outside of them it's pretty clear he selected for "criminal whose beef is very specifically with hero society/society in general, inspired by Stain"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Giran seems to be pretty good at finding people in general. Well, outside of Muscular and Moonfish- who were just people who wanted to murder with impunity and got in because they were strong.

Outside of them it's pretty clear he selected for "criminal whose beef is very specifically with hero society/society in general, inspired by Stain"

Magne seemed to be a one th exceptions who was just a vet who had no issues joining but was not an unstable nutcase.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Magne seemed to be a one th exceptions who was just a vet who had no issues joining but was not an unstable nutcase.
Compress doesn't seem nuts. Magne definitely seemed to feel oppressed by society, if the pre-exploding flashback was any indication. Her and Compress are probably the sanest of the group...ironically the sanest person after Compress now is Spinner.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Spinner, whose quirk we still don’t know, and the show seems to delight in skirting around giving any insight to what it might be.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
What a fantastic new opening!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Spinner, whose quirk we still don’t know, and the show seems to delight in skirting around giving any insight to what it might be.

Spinners quirk is being able to do groceries without accidentally causing a terrorist attack, or having to carry grocery bags one at a time.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdfFVdFWl1U

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mulderman posted:

What a fantastic new opening!

I'm a big fan of the ED too. I'm as hyped for new episodes as I was at the start of the season.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm a big fan of the ED too. I'm as hyped for new episodes as I was at the start of the season.

I really like the series of frames in the ED where Bakugo and Midoriya are in the foreground and All Might is in the background

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just watched Episode 77

So a key point of this arc was to Worf Overhaul and his Yakuza. They were introduced as big threats for the League to get the better of and thus establish their evil cred.

I get this is supposed to be the League finally maybe becoming serious threats but they only accomplished anything after the Heroes did all the work. Robbing and mutilating a wounded, incapacitated Overhaul doesn't prove anything. They're still the losers who got owned by Gran Torino and of course Overhaul.

They have yet to win any real fights or establish themselves as actual threats

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just realized how weird it is that Kurogiri was spotted 4 times in the woods but somehow everyone missed the literal earthshaking giant

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

motherfucking Gigantomachia

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

I just realized how weird it is that Kurogiri was spotted 4 times in the woods but somehow everyone missed the literal earthshaking giant

This actually isn't the first time we've seen him in the show.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I can't deal with how dumb it is for our current primary villain's outfit to require him to take off a hand shaped mask (?) Just to talk to anyone.

Get some chapstick and drop the Manos Hands of Fate gimmick and I'll take you seriously as a bad guy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Just watched Episode 77

So a key point of this arc was to Worf Overhaul and his Yakuza. They were introduced as big threats for the League to get the better of and thus establish their evil cred.

I get this is supposed to be the League finally maybe becoming serious threats but they only accomplished anything after the Heroes did all the work. Robbing and mutilating a wounded, incapacitated Overhaul doesn't prove anything. They're still the losers who got owned by Gran Torino and of course Overhaul.

They have yet to win any real fights or establish themselves as actual threats

Bruh, they got exactly what they wanted out of it and they didn’t have to fight or lose anyone to do it.

A hero is dead, the Yakuza are demolished and the VA got a bunch of experimental bullets the underworld would kill for. Who won here?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Spinner, whose quirk we still don’t know

He's literally a teenage mutant ninja turtle lizard. I assume that IS his quirk tbh.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The fun thing about the new OP is that 90% of it looks like the OP to a normal high school anime with some strange character designs.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The_Doctor posted:

They keep cutting out little bits of Spinner's personality which is a bummer. The truck scene got lost probably because of copyright references but Spinner yells at Dabi to not disparage his driving skills he learned from video games. He literally shouts "GRAND THEFT AUTO!" when he turns the van around to pick them up.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Best part of this ep is when Sero hugs Kirishima, his eye gets poked by Kirishima's hair.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also lol, the ED is (Manga Spoilers)literally top to bottom spoilers. There's some really deep cuts in there too.

It's not quite as bad as Black Clover's newest OPs/EDs however, which includes a reveal for a thing that has been waiting since the actual start of the series- nevermind it revealing the next arc's antagonists probably a good dozen+ episodes before they'll be officially shown.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 26, 2020

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

pointlessone posted:

I can't deal with how dumb it is for our current primary villain's outfit to require him to take off a hand shaped mask (?) Just to talk to anyone.

Get some chapstick and drop the Manos Hands of Fate gimmick and I'll take you seriously as a bad guy.

He's talked with it on plenty of times. Hell, for the first season and a half he never took it off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Both the new opening and ending bits are lovely. :3:

Edit: found this tumblr post.

quote:

BNHA AU where everything is the same except that Deku has been given a water spray so every time Bakugo starts yelling for no reason or be an rear end in a top hat in general he can just

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 25, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Supersonic Shine posted:

The fun thing about the new OP is that 90% of it looks like the OP to a normal high school anime with some strange character designs.

I like how if one were coming to it blind one would assume that Jiro's the main character and that Izuku is at best her lead love interest in a harem that includes Bakugo and Todoroki!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Rhonne posted:

When have we seen him before?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

When have we seen him before?

Once in the Stain aftermath when we had that montage of villains, and once in Kirishima's flashback a few episodes ago. He always has that radio with him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pointlessone posted:

It's an actual hand and he does not have to take it off. He just has a few times to make a point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

It's not even the second time we've seen him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's an actual hand and he does not have to take it off. He just has a few times to make a point.

They're actually hands? Like real hands? Ok, we're cranking up the creepy now that I know they aren't just weird fashion choice. Maybe a little more serious villainy then.

Still needs some drat chapstick.