Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I've been skipping the basho but checking results every couple days, what the heck is up with Tokoshoryu going all big dick from M17.. His fights this tourney haven't been high ranked but his next bout vs Shodai the god can basically decide the whole thing, which sucks for Takakeisho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Omnikin posted:

I've been skipping the basho but checking results every couple days, what the heck is up with Tokoshoryu going all big dick from M17.. His fights this tourney haven't been high ranked but his next bout vs Shodai the god can basically decide the whole thing, which sucks for Takakeisho

You're loving up by not watching the Basho.

You're also loving up by putting the drat Rikishi name inside the spoiler tag but almost the whole description outside of it :psyduck:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

:iiam:

I do feel like the elders have given Tokushoryu an easy ride though. I thought any time a lower-M guy went 8-0 or 7-1 before, they wouldn't hesitate to throw the gauntlet at him in the second half.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Curious if that is to pad a couple guys into promotion on inflated records should we actually be seeing the end of the Hakuho era in sight.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Imagine that Enho bout being the first sumo bout you ever saw.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

For those not keeping track with the lower divisions. Kaito in the third division won the whole thing by going 7-0 one tournament after going 0-7.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

fisting by many posted:

:iiam:

I do feel like the elders have given Tokushoryu an easy ride though. I thought any time a lower-M guy went 8-0 or 7-1 before, they wouldn't hesitate to throw the gauntlet at him in the second half.

But think of the fun they'll have if he manages to beat Shodai tonight! I'm a noob and all, but would it be safe to assume that leads to Takakeisho on day 15?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Very unlikely. Takakeisho would have to face Goeido on senshuraku, as the two highest-ranked guys who are still competing. To have o1 face m17 instead of o2 on the final day would be too much for the banzuke committee to take. I suspect they'd send him up against Asanoyama or something like that.

This basho is all I could have hoped for.

Day 13 standings

code:
Bentai		46.5
bessantj	36
fisting by many	44
Kenning		42.5
Marching Powder	32.5
Martytoof	42
Mekchu		34
ratmosphere	37
Rigel		38
Robviously	46.5
Scythe		33
sivad		31
Spokes		33
Thauros		37.5

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Banana Canada posted:

wild picture

y'know I went back to watch this again assuming that Abi had hopped a little bit or something to give him an easier lift but... no, he didn't. What a lift

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

so Enho is a fuckin wizard or something right?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Abi is definitely pretty springy -- he's always got his weight on the balls of his feet and he springs forward to mess people up with his long arms. Enho pulled that leg pick and lifted at the exact moment that Abi used his left foot to try and spring forward to attack. Enho's leg pick shifted his center of gravity from being in front of his knees to being directly above his knees and he loving flew. Absolutely incredible. Also, good illustration of how sketchy Abi's footwork is. If he'd planted his feet and moved forward with lower center of gravity (like those Akebono clips from earlier in the thread) that move wouldn't have worked nearly so well.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This will be the fourth basho Enho has had a winning record in. He has Daieisho tomorrow, who he beat at the last basho. Can the little wonder get a 10-5 record?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
In 'ones to watch' news, up and coming young Mongolian prospect Roga finishes with 5-2, his 7th straight kachi-koshi since his debut. He'll have an outside chance of making it into Juryo if he does well enough in March.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 25, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Apraxin posted:

In 'ones to watch' news, up and coming young Mongolian prospect Roga finishes with 5-2, his 7th straight kachi-koshi since his debut. He'll have an outside chance of making it into Juryo if he does well enough in March.

Any idea why it says Russia next to his hometown? Just a mistake on sumodb or something more interesting?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Brut posted:

Any idea why it says Russia next to his hometown? Just a mistake on sumodb or something more interesting?

He might be of both Mongolian and Russian descent?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I tried looking it up, and according to this article http://nyarunuko.com/archives/1849 he was born in Tuva, his dad's Mongolian and his mum's Russian, and in an interview he's said he considers himself more Russian. Some of the official designations say he's Mongolian, some say Russian, so :shrug:

Also, if he does make it up to the top two divisions, he's probably going to instantly displace Takayasu as hairiest rikishi:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

bessantj posted:

This will be the fourth basho Enho has had a winning record in. He has Daieisho tomorrow, who he beat at the last basho. Can the little wonder get a 10-5 record?

He's looking at M1 / Komusubi if he does. I certainly wouldn't make an argument that he doesn't belong at K after his results in this basho..

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

He's looking at M1 / Komusubi if he does. I certainly wouldn't make an argument that he doesn't belong at K after his results in this basho..

As much as I love a Enho, there’s no path to Komsubi and even M1 would be tough and require a bunch of losing from everyone else. Both Sekiwake spots are claimed by Asanoyama and Goeido, and while both K spots will be open, but he can’t pass Endo, Hokotofuji or Shodai in priority.

For the M1 spots, he’d need almost everything to break right. They’d have to open up a K2 spot to take Hokotofuji/Shodai out, Mitakuemi would have to lose out as generally 1 win is worth about one full rank in promotion priority so 10 at M5 wouldn’t jump 8 at M2. And he might not jump a 9-6 Okinoumi or either of the current Komsubi if they finish 7-8 either if any of those 3 win out.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And even if he doesn't make it that high, he'll likely be in the meat grinder ranks next basho.

I'll certainly be rooting for him, but I wouldn't be drafting him for fantasy in March.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Apraxin posted:

I tried looking it up, and according to this article http://nyarunuko.com/archives/1849 he was born in Tuva, his dad's Mongolian and his mum's Russian, and in an interview he's said he considers himself more Russian. Some of the official designations say he's Mongolian, some say Russian, so :shrug:

Also, if he does make it up to the top two divisions, he's probably going to instantly displace Takayasu as hairiest rikishi:

You know what, I think it's time for the Sumo Association to rethink its topknot policy.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

anakha posted:

And even if he doesn't make it that high, he'll likely be in the meat grinder ranks next basho.

I'll certainly be rooting for him, but I wouldn't be drafting him for fantasy in March.

With the yokozuna dropping out, assuming they are not healthy in March, Enho at M5 pretty much had as hard a basho as possible.

And looking at his record the past few days against the top of the banzuke, Enho is the meat grinder :twisted:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Don't forget that as far as Enho is concerned, one of the Yokozuna is always out.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

fisting by many posted:

And looking at his record the past few days against the top of the banzuke, Enho is the meat grinder :twisted:

This January You'll Believe a Man Can Fly...

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Brut posted:

Don't forget that as far as Enho is concerned, one of the Yokozuna is always out.

Also a good point.

(Enho and Hakuho cannot be matched against each other because they are stablemates)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

QuasiQuack posted:

Enho is such a boss holy gently caress :swoon:

ENHO :stare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What the gently caress happened to Mitakeumi? No power in the tachi-ai at all.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kenning posted:

Not gonna lie, I love Byamba. He's super talented, and also an excellent self-promoter. I can't hate on him for using his skillset in this way. Try reading this Vice article about partying with amateur sumo wrestlers and see if you don't sort of love him by the end.

From a couple days ago but I’m just now reading this. It’s weird as hell that the author never mentions that they’re amateur sumo wrestlers. Vice never let the truth get in the way of a good story, though. I’d like to see Byamba go up against an average juryo rikishi, let alone an Ozeki or Yokozuna.

Edit: And this is further reinforced by all the wild poo poo Enho does

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 25, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ROCKET EGG WINS!!!!!!!!!!!! nobody can take anything away from him at this point. beating shodai is no joke considering who shodai has beaten. what a basho. hope he goes all the way.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 25, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The schedule and some of the footage today might be a little bit weird, the emperor just sat down in the Kokugikan a few minutes ago, Abema apparently aren't allowed to show him so their cameras were just pointed at the audience the whole time, weird seeing so many people standing. I'd love it if someone synced up the NHK footage of his arrival with the Abema footage, it would basically be a 360 view.

Note for first time live viewers on the final day, Makuuchi will start about 30-40 minutes to make time for award ceremonies at the end of the broadcast, so tune in early if you're interested.

Brut fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 25, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

wow. asanoyama with an incredible win. i must admit i got in my feelings a little bit when the tears started from takakeisho when the realisation that he was no longer in the running... aw cheer up big guy. you still did great.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If Tokushoryu wins or Shodai loses tomorrow (or Tokushoryu wins the playoff), Tokushoryu will tie for the lowest ranking I can find on record to win the top division, matching Dewaminato winning at M17w, in 1939 (at 13-0, no less!).

However, in Dewaminato's basho the lowest rank was M18w, so Tokushoryu would be the lowest combination of rank and relative to the field ever, I believe.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This Basho has been fantastic, I can't wait for the final day.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the best bit about tokushoryu so far has been how many of his victories have been spectacular come-from-behind rallies to victory. the second best bit is just before the tachi-ai where he lowers himself into optimal rocket egg position where i cannot stop thinking about him as some sort of sonic the hedgehog boss. the third best bit is his hair.

the daiesho / enho fight was basically a perfect display of how anyone beats enho. you have to maintain perfect balance and have the footwork to keep enho in front of you. do this for long enough and you either get the victory or gently caress up and eat the loss. either way it was a wonderful fight.

this basho has been so great. can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mitakeumi, Okinoumi, Shohozan, Takanosho, Chiyotairyu, Azumaryu, Ikioi and Kaisei are all on 7-7. Their match ups are:

Chiyotairyu - Kaisei
Takanosho - Ikioi
Okinoumi - Azumaryu
Shodai - Mitakeumi
Endo - Shohozan

Going to be bouts to look out for.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Daieisho suddenly remembered how to sumo and is keeping me in the fantasy yusho hunt. Sorry Enho.

Tomorrow I'm hoping a Hokutofuji win and a Shodai and Takakeisho loss so I can collect jun-yusho points from Hokutofuji (Takakeisho winning would make it a three way tie so no points)

e: wait nevermind, both people ahead of me have Hokutofuji too so it doesn't matter. I guess the road to victory involves Ryuden getting a prize?

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 25, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I've been playing the "road to victory" game for myself with fantasy for a couple days and I can't see one. It's fine, this has been an incredible basho.

Marching Powder posted:

wow. asanoyama with an incredible win. i must admit i got in my feelings a little bit when the tears started from takakeisho when the realisation that he was no longer in the running... aw cheer up big guy. you still did great.

One of the things I like about Takakeisho is that he's a true competitor. He sorta reminds me of Hakuho in that the most important things to him, in order, are 1) winning at sumo, and 2) doing sumo.

Halloween Jack posted:

What the gently caress happened to Mitakeumi? No power in the tachi-ai at all.

He has a sort of on-again-off-again ankle injury that might be part of what's making his tachiai soft and unconvincing.

Day 14 standings

code:
Bentai		48
bessantj	39
fisting by many	48
Kenning		45.5
Marching Powder	32.5
Martytoof	44
Mekchu		35.5
ratmosphere	38
Rigel		39
Robviously	49.5
Scythe		35
sivad		30
Spokes		35
Thauros		39

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think he's struggling but I'm becoming a fan of kaisei just for the fact that when he runs someone out of the ring he tries to catch them so they don't fall off the dohyo

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Another 0-7 for Hattorizakura. Y u no Sumo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Another 0-7 for Hattorizakura. Y u no Sumo.

People have done far worse for free room and board....