Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Thread is plunging fast, pull out! Pull out!

e:

eggyolk fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Djarum posted:

Oh if it mutates in the US you will see a plague unlike anything seen in decades. You already see what has happened in places with heavy anti-vax folks. Furthermore our healthcare system is not designed to handle a mass outbreak. I have zero faith in the current administration to handle the outbreak. You can easily see between 14 and 26 million people die in the US alone.

Lote posted:

It won’t kill that many people. It’s like 1-3% fatality rate. It would be bad enough to cause a recession and people to freak the gently caress out but it’s not gonna be small pox.

If you want to get really :tinfoil:, it’s fatal to those above age 65 and older and would cause a recession and if it spreads fairly quickly, its effects will be seen during the election in the US and Trump won’t get re-elected.

Does it need to mutate though? It's already airborne, persistent on objects, and has an unusually long incubation period.

Also a 1-3% fatality rate is really really high, considering the potential for this to become widespread. Isn't the 1-3% rate also *with* medical treatment?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also it’s pretty difficult from a “designing viral super weapons” standpoint to make something that specifically goes after the people with the strongest immune systems and leaves those who are weaker alone. There are types of pathogens that can do that but they tend to be the “exception that proves the rule”.

If the chinese really want to gently caress up america as much as possible, clearly the answer is to keep the old people alive.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
so THECHINA is gonna make our old men into eletronic old men?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You can see the obvious future evasion of "We didn't say she identified Bangladesh as Ukraine"

You can practically read the knowing wink.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Does it need to mutate though? It's already airborne, persistent on objects, and has an unusually long incubation period.

Also a 1-3% fatality rate is really really high, considering the potential for this to become widespread. Isn't the 1-3% rate also *with* medical treatment?

It’s not a question of “does it need to mutate?”. Strains will undergo some degree of mutation and evolution over time because that’s what viruses generally do.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

InsertPotPun posted:

i've said from the beginning the trump's base aren't bullies: they're the kids who never stood up to the bully, just looked in the other direction and were happy it wasn't them.
imagine even for a second being afraid of trump

Pretty much. I've thought about being "bullied" by Donald Trump and it seems hilarious. How could you possibly take it seriously? I've love to be "bullied" by Trump. Just have him rant at me for 10 minutes and then just reply with "Shut up, baby dick." I'm baffled by the stories that come out of his advisers or military leaders just all looking down and shuffling papers or crying. It's Donald loving Trump, not 90s era Mike Tyson.

Somewhat related, is I was thinking about if you gave me a list of people in like 2014 and said "Pick a president from this dumb list", Trump would lose to EVERYONE. Even before I knew his politics I couldn't think of a single person who is more dumb and useless. He's like the dumbest, useless person I could think of. Sean Penn, Gwyneth Paltrow, that dumb bald gently caress from Shark Tank. Wolf Blitzer! The guy who banged my girlfriend behind my back. All poor choices, but still better than Trump. The right somehow stumbled upon the dumbest, useless, unethical person I have ever heard of in my life.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that guy saying 2.5% fatality wasn't "that bad".

If 1% of America gets infected, a 2.5% fatality rate means 75,000 deaths.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Phil Moscowitz posted:

NPR reporter Mary Louithe Kelly lied to me TWITHE

Could you not do this? As someone with a mild speech impediment, it's hurtful to see people being mocked for something they didn't ask to have. I know Pompeo is a piece of poo poo, but pick better ways to attack him.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Phil Moscowitz posted:

These guys live to say the most obvious lie possible and get away with it, they’ve been doing it for 3 years or more, and getting more brazen every month they are not held accountable. Lying is the point.

They're all gaslighting. They get off on saying up is down and forcing people to refute it and still getting away with it. It's a power trip, pure and simple, and they don't care about objective reality or appearing reasonable. Just making "their team" happy.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

pull up thread, jesus. A bioweapon really?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

cr0y posted:

So kinda USPOL kinda not but I wanted to give this some eyes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/technology/dot-org-private-equity-battle.html

Inside the Billion-Dollar Battle Over .Org

This is the loving punchline for the existence of the internet.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SKULL.GIF posted:

Well from reading what experts are saying the fear about mutation is multifold; this is a new type of virus that almost no one has any natural antibodies to fight as well as the mutation will bring it from being what is effectively the flu currently to something much, much stronger. What made SARS so dangerous is once it mutated it effectively shut down the respiratory system killing even young, healthy people.

Right now The Yale Lancaster R0 (basic reproduction number of the infection) of 3.8 was revised down to 2.5 due to bad statistics work by Lancaster University's Jon Reed that got published and scared the crap out of other epidemiologists on Twitter (one described it "thermo-nuclear bad") as anything with a 3.8 would be one of the worst pandemics in human history. 2.5 is still incredibly bad and scary. What is the typical R0 attack rate for the seasonal flu in most years? It's around an R0=1.28. The 2009 flu pandemic was R0=1.48. The 1918 Spanish Flu that killed millions was R0=1.80.

There are videos coming out of China that it is much, much worse than the government is saying. 90,000 infected along with videos of the dead just sitting in the hallways because there isn't anything to do with them, blocking roads in and out.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Djarum posted:

There are videos coming out of China that it is much, much worse than the government is saying. 90,000 infected along with videos of the dead just sitting in the hallways because there isn't anything to do with them, blocking roads in and out.

Are these from the same sources that claim it's escaped from a bioweapons lab in the middle of a city?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Space Gopher posted:

Are these from the same sources that claim it's escaped from a bioweapons lab in the middle of a city?

The Washington Times wrote an article about it, they cite Radio Free Asia but like I said I don't entirely trust them.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/24/virus-hit-wuhan-has-two-laboratories-linked-chines/

These videos aren't exactly easy to watch so :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxRpduKKQkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQflXs0jZ9w

The translation of the second video is as such.

quote:

Hello everyone in the world, I am OOO. I am currently in Hubei region where the Wuhan virus spread to. I am trying to tell the truth right now.
Right now Hubei region and surrounding (?) regions have about 90,000 infected people right now
How much do you know about the Wuhan virus’s contagion/transmission potential (?)
If 1 person is infected, and if you are unable to specifically identify the person who is infected by the Wuhan virus and they are not treated properly, the infected person can at least infect 14 people. So in theory it becomes 14 x 14
Currently it is Lunar New year/ Chinese New Year
Everyone in this region all wants to go home and spend their time with their families and eat dinner together
Right now we are in a special (?) situation
I want to tell everyone that is watching this right now to not go outside, including partying (probably for the new years), or go out to eat
We have Lunar New Year every year, so if you are healthy right now you can celebrate it next year with everyone
I will talk about current Hubei region’s medical situation
Currently Hubei and Wuhan region’s medical system doesn’t care about what the government says.
Right now I am asking through SNS (media). Please send mask, goggles, and clothes to Wuhan city
Please help. Please send disposable goggles, masks, and clothings
We are all running out of these
Currently all the doctors at the hospitals, even surgeons, are putting in their efforts to contain/treat Wuhan virus
Please whoever is watching this. Listen to me
During Lunar New Year please do not go outside
the reason I am doing this is because I wish the people I love (mother and my family) to be healthy
I hope everyone understands this
If you are watching this, please spread this video and information
We must know and be aware about this issue.
This is government’s duty (?) (not too sure, my korean to enligsh ability is lacking)
Currently Wuhan Virus is in its 2nd mutation, and we must let people know. I will repeat, you can cure/treat the symptoms at 1st mutation
If 2nd mutation occurs then even worse things will happen, because then not only is one person going be infected, its going to infected everyone around
Then Wuhan virus will spread exponentially
Please do not go outside, thank you

Perhaps before you are a smartass do 20 seconds of research.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

Not just a city, the largest city in the region. It's like putting a bioweapons lab in Chicago instead of Peoria or Terre Haute.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Djarum posted:

The Washington Times wrote an article about it, they cite Radio Free Asia but like I said I don't entirely trust them.

The Washington Times is a rag for wiping your doo-doo rear end with tho, hth

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Djarum posted:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/24/virus-hit-wuhan-has-two-laboratories-linked-chines/

These videos aren't exactly easy to watch so :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxRpduKKQkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQflXs0jZ9w

The translation of the second video is as such.

Perhaps before you are a smartass do 20 seconds of research.

are they playing the BB song from DS in the background of the first video?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Not just a city, the largest city in the region. It's like putting a bioweapons lab in Chicago instead of Peoria or Terre Haute.

i mean it is the PRC, i doubt they thought this poo poo through. they are like the US governments stupid decisions on steroids.

personaly i dont know if its a bioweapon leak. but i do believe china is probably lying about the casualty numbers and other stuff.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

My wife is Chinese and her entire family is in Wuhan. They said hospitals are full everywhere and you're put on a pretty long wait list if you need to be seen. There are way more people sick than the Chinese are letting on. Thankfully they live more out into the countryside so they've isolated themselves from the worst of it the last two days or so. They are spooked though. Never seen them this afraid before.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that guy saying 2.5% fatality wasn't "that bad".

If 1% of America gets infected, a 2.5% fatality rate means 75,000 deaths.

That's fewer people than died in the US from influenza in 2018 to 2019 iirc, which was an estimated 79,000, but nobody is breathlessly talking about bioweapons and recessions and poo poo. Jesus.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

full recording just came out

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1221161548363657217

looks like they just got it and published immediately, because they haven't written up anything else contained on it yet

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

looks like they just got it and published immediately, because they haven't written up anything else contained on it yet

lol nice. can't wait for people to dig through this poo poo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

allah akbar, looking forward to the first analyses and transcripts

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Washington Times is a rag for wiping your doo-doo rear end with tho, hth

They are entirely, the citation though I don't know the validity of Radio Free Asia.

Arglebargle III posted:

So that would be like putting the CDC in the middle of Atlanta instead of Albany or Statesburo?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

My wife is Chinese and her entire family is in Wuhan. They said hospitals are full everywhere and you're put on a pretty long wait list if you need to be seen. There are way more people sick than the Chinese are letting on. Thankfully they live more out into the countryside so they've isolated themselves from the worst of it the last two days or so. They are spooked though. Never seen them this afraid before.

I believe it. The Chinese hospital system when I was there was effective, but overworked and underpaid. You generally got adequate care but it could be a while in the waiting room, and that's completely normal weekday afternoon loads. They really need to pay doctors and nurses more in China. It's a major reason why traditional medicine is so popular.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So with actual loving Nixon-esque tapes out, what was Trump's lawyers defense today?

Was it still "NO U" in comic sans?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Djarum posted:

So that would be like putting the CDC in the middle of Atlanta instead of Albany or Statesburo?

v:shobon:v got me there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

So with actual loving Nixon-esque tapes out, what was Trump's lawyers defense today?

TBH that is all they need. They don't have to tell the truth because nobody cares that they lie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Djarum posted:

They are entirely, the citation though I don't know the validity of Radio Free Asia.

i mean most of the US bio/viral store houses are on islands or remote areas. honestly my guess is it spread from lovely farm practives or maybe because of those dickheads spreading swine flue.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Yes. Then they got bored after 2 hours and wandered off

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
About these new tapes: I don’t understand the significance. Did Trump say he didn’t fire her? He said it was her safety or something, right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean most of the US bio/viral store houses are on islands or remote areas. honestly my guess is it spread from lovely farm practives or maybe because of those dickheads spreading swine flue.

No he's right I checked, of the 13 level 4 biolabs in the US, seven are in major metros.

https://fas.org/programs/bio/research.html

Fun story: I once got my nose probed for swine flu because I got the flu shortly after returning from China. Nasal swabs are not a fun experience.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Yes. Then they got bored after 2 hours and wandered off

Did they still try to say "THE DEMS ARE THE ONES WHO COLLABORATED WITH UKRAINE AND RUSSIA TO LOSE THE ELECTION!"?

Just wondering how unhinged the general "argument" was. Did they bring up Biden, and that insane conspiracy theory that Yonnavich was spying on Trump?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

No he's right I checked, of the 13 level 4 biolabs in the US, seven are in major metros.

Fun story: I once got my nose probed for swine flu because I got the flu shortly after returning from China. Nasal swabs are not a fun experience.

drat. thats depressing. it makes some sense though i guess.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

One of the theories at the moment is that it spread from snakes to humans.

Who knows since it is China, it could really be anything since they have little oversight or safety protections/regulations on anything. Along with the government isn’t going to tell anyone the truth especially if it makes them look bad.

The quarantine situation is troubling since they didn’t do that for SARS at all. My gut tells me it is much worse than they are letting on.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

TVs Ian posted:

The apostrophe after "liddle'" is the most irritating part of that. It's like his mush brain merged it with "l'il" or something.

It just reminds me of signs that use apostrophes in plurals or quotation marks for emphasis.

That's not a apostrophe, it's a hyphen, dummy :shepface:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...2F3787291002%2F

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Did they still try to say "THE DEMS ARE THE ONES WHO COLLABORATED WITH UKRAINE AND RUSSIA TO LOSE THE ELECTION!"?

Just wondering how unhinged the general "argument" was. Did they bring up Biden, and that insane conspiracy theory that Yonnavich was spying on Trump?

biden and poo poo will be monday apperently but apperently the argument was just breitbart type bullshit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Boot and Rally posted:

About these new tapes: I don’t understand the significance. Did Trump say he didn’t fire her? He said it was her safety or something, right?

Lev Parnas was part of the Ukraine dirty tricks operation for dummies that Trump had Rudy Giuliani (of all the loving people) put together. Trump insisted, as he always does when a scandal breaks, that he didn't know Parnas. This tape apparently has him barking a series of orders directly to him to get rid of the then-ambassador to Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This from the moron who tried to make Covfefe a thing.