Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Djarum posted:

One of the theories at the moment is that it spread from snakes to humans.

Who knows since it is China, it could really be anything since they have little oversight or safety protections/regulations on anything. Along with the government isn’t going to tell anyone the truth especially if it makes them look bad.

The quarantine situation is troubling since they didn’t do that for SARS at all. My gut tells me it is much worse than they are letting on.

pretty sure thats impossible. you can't really transfer diseies from herps to humans. like maybe from poo poo and unclean conditions and poo poo like Salmonella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

He’s really the dumbest motherfucker alive

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty sure thats impossible. you can't really transfer diseies from herps to humans. like maybe from poo poo and unclean conditions and poo poo like Salmonella.

Pretty sure Humans can get herps

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Djarum posted:

The Washington Times wrote an article about it, they cite Radio Free Asia but like I said I don't entirely trust them.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/24/virus-hit-wuhan-has-two-laboratories-linked-chines/

These videos aren't exactly easy to watch so :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxRpduKKQkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQflXs0jZ9w

The translation of the second video is as such.

Perhaps before you are a smartass do 20 seconds of research.

The Washington Times is a far-right paper that has explicitly supported plenty of conspiracy theories and fringe beliefs, from Benghazi trutherism to ahistorical Lost Cause takes on the US Civil War. Calling them a partisan rag is an insult to rags.

The first video shows a crowded hallway full of what look like scared people. There's one guy lying on the ground, who the captions claim is there because he wasn't able to get a bribe to somebody, not because he's dying and physically unable to go on. There are no bodies shown in the streets.

The second one is titled in Korean for some reason, from a relatively small channel, and heavily monetized. It would be trivial to fake it for attention. It's also full of weird things that don't make medical sense - for instance, the "14 people to 14 people" thing. Viruses don't work like that.

Meanwhile, the virus has managed to make it outside China without some horrifying pandemic kicking off.

What's happening is not good, and there is a significant potential threat to health around the world here. But, what you're doing isn't rationally evaluating and talking about that threat. It's just pointless doomsaying.

Arglebargle III posted:

No he's right I checked, of the 13 level 4 biolabs in the US, seven are in major metros.

https://fas.org/programs/bio/research.html

Fun story: I once got my nose probed for swine flu because I got the flu shortly after returning from China. Nasal swabs are not a fun experience.

There's a difference between a lab for treating diseases, and one for making bioweapons. Disease treatment facilities are usually something you want near major population centers.

But, back when the US did significant bioweapons research, they did it in places like Fort Derrick (Frederick, Maryland) and Pine Bluff Arsenal (unincorporated Arkansas). The USSR had secret towns in the middle of nowhere. Nobody develops biological weapons in the middle of a city.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 25, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Djarum posted:

Who knows since it is China, it could really be anything since they have little oversight or safety protections/regulations on anything. Along with the government isn’t going to tell anyone the truth especially if it makes them look bad.

The quarantine situation is troubling since they didn’t do that for SARS at all. My gut tells me it is much worse than they are letting on.

Once when I was in Shanghai I walked past a pharmacy ona a pretty regular-looking street, and inside there was a wheelbarrow full of snakeheads. So yeah, their poo poo is wild. I also work in clinical trials management, and some of the poo poo that gets reported as concomitant medications for Chinese subjects is truly weird and occasionally troubling

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It would certainly be unusual, but not really biologically implausible or anything. Much more likely to be bats, though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

He’s really the dumbest motherfucker alive

Either that or all the morons tweeting in support of him not realizing that isn't a hyphen.

Or they're all bots, either way it's hilarious to see

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

This tweet really does summarize Trump's ego in one fell swoop. He could have just let it go, or apologized, but nope. He meant to do it. And in the same tweet, made an even bigger gently caress up. Trump in a nutshell. Same thing happened with Tim Apple. "I said Tim, Apple"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I like is how in today’s tweet he put the apostrophe on Cryin’ and Schemin’ and then did Liddle’ like it’s the same fuckin thing

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Djarum posted:

It's a little more complicated than that. China does have regulations, but the regulators are completely toothless. The burden of proof on regulators to prove a violation is far too high for regulators to actually go after people given their staffing and budget.

Like I said it's a little more complicated.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Liddleg

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I do not like being reminded that this man is the President of the United States.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1221079753760833536

Please welcome the President of the United States, Yosemite Sam.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

That's fewer people than died in the US from influenza in 2018 to 2019 iirc, which was an estimated 79,000, but nobody is breathlessly talking about bioweapons and recessions and poo poo. Jesus.

the common flu has something like a 0.1% mortality rate. more people die from it because it's widespread. 26 million Americans get the flu every year.

if 26 million Americans caught the Wuhan virus, there would be 650,000 deaths.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Data Graham posted:

What I like is how in today’s tweet he put the apostrophe on Cryin’ and Schemin’ and then did Liddle’ like it’s the same fuckin thing

I assume he thinks an apostrophe is something you put at the end of the word to make it a folksy insult. I don't know why he would think that, but then why does he think any of the jumbled things he barely thinks

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

I assume he thinks

That's quite a reach

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Let me discribe it lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's frightening to me how many of you have such a poor grasp on what a 2.5% mortality rate means.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Space Gopher posted:

The first video shows a crowded hallway full of what look like scared people. There's one guy lying on the ground, who the captions claim is there because he wasn't able to get a bribe to somebody, not because he's dying and physically unable to go on. There are no bodies shown in the streets.

You must not have watched it all then as after that part you see the person walk by multiple bodies which in the video states that they had been there for hours around other patents, then staff breaking down in a backroom and finally videos of people trying to escape the area only time find themselves blocked off.

If you must need to see bodies in the streets it looks like the Dailymail just put a compliation of them up on their site.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7923981/Coronavirus-Disturbing-videos-claim-people-collapsing-Wuhan.html

quote:

Meanwhile, the virus has managed to make it outside China without some horrifying pandemic kicking off.

What's happening is not good, and there is a significant potential threat to health around the world here. But, what you're doing isn't rationally evaluating and talking about that threat. It's just pointless doomsaying.

We don't know what reach it has outside of China yet. The virus is able to gestate for 14 days before symptoms develop. The fact that most epidemiologists are freaking out about it should be enough to at least concern most people. I feel like I have been doing nothing but rationally evaluating and talking about it. Anything that I rightfully haven't felt is true I have stated as such. If you find nothing concerning about any of it then that is your opinion.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Arglebargle III posted:

Not just a city, the largest city in the region. It's like putting a bioweapons lab in Chicago instead of Peoria or Terre Haute.

To be fair, we did build the world's first nuclear reactor under the bleachers of a stadium at the University of Chicago (seriously: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Pile-1).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

the Daily Mail is also a dogshit newspaper for morons

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Failed Imagineer posted:

the Daily Mail is also a dogshit newspaper for morons

Who cares if it is a dogshit or not. That isn't the point. The complied a ton of the videos in one easy spot to watch. Don't read anything they have to say if you feel that strongly about it.

If you spend all your time weeding out any outlet that you don't agree with then you will be rightfully uninformed. The Wall Street Journal is a right wing publication but you are able to get good news and information from it. Hell even Fox News very rarely can give you information. You don't need to treat it as gospel, as with all news you need to use critical thinking skills.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The raving nutters really do flag themselves, don't they? Citing the Daily Heil and Washington Times, and expecting to be taken seriously as some kind of brilliant thinker.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Djarum posted:

Perhaps before you are a smartass do 20 seconds of research.
really seems like you should have done more than 20 seconds of research

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Djarum posted:

Who cares if it is a dogshit or not. That isn't the point. The complied a ton of the videos in one easy spot to watch. Don't read anything they have to say if you feel that strongly about it.

If you spend all your time weeding out any outlet that you don't agree with then you will be rightfully uninformed. The Wall Street Journal is a right wing publication but you are able to get good news and information from it. Hell even Fox News very rarely can give you information. You don't need to treat it as gospel, as with all news you need to use critical thinking skills.

It's not about whether you agree with their political opinions, but whether or not they have a habit of posting false information and photos taken out of context. We have no idea whether these photos are from movie sets or anything like that because these outlets are not above doing such things.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/1221179214080237570

lmao Mnuchin

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I can’t believe this is the loving actual timeline

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Djarum posted:

some guy on the internet posted:

BREAKING NEWS, THIS JUST IN: WUHAN CORONAVIRUS MORTALITY RATE CONFIRMED AT 101%, CAN BE TRANSMITTED OVER THE INTERNET VIA SHITPOSTS

Feel free to copy paste that elsewhere with a combination of doomsaying and "well you just gotta use critical thinking but it could be true..."

Look at your own source, which is careful to sound sensational with weasel words. Here's a direct quote: "Do these videos show people collapsing in the streets of Wuhan?"

The news that's being reported is that some people posted unconfirmed videos to youtube. Everything else is speculation designed to get you to click on their links. Which you're breathlessly doing. These news outlets have a history of doing exactly these kinds of things: take something, wrap it up in sensationalist just-asking-questions reporting that confirms people's inbuilt biases (here, "dirty foreigners threatening our health" - which matches the anti-immigrant sentiments pushed by the Washington Times and Daily Mail for decades), and throw it out to get eyeballs and push an agenda.

Oh, and people suddenly collapsing in a way that looks like they're straight up jumping at the ground doesn't make sense with what we already know of the flulike symptoms associated with the disease, which have been confirmed many times outside China.

But do go on about how we're in the pre-opening-credits scenes of a bad zombie movie.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is incredibly pathetic, god drat. How could he possibly think this makes him look good?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

This is incredibly pathetic, god drat. How could he possibly think this makes him look good?

It's an attempt to distract the news cycle away from other things.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cruella DeVil cant have her coats made out of the poorpuppies if climate change kills them all.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Leonard French posted this new video today that gives me some hope about convicting Donny Dipshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YEVjgxJlJ4

In short, because that loving smug-rear end turtle stated he wouldn't be impartial, and his lapdog Graham towing the line, there is a possibility that this could be settled in a court of law instead of the senate.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

empty whippet box posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat with anger issues, this is well documented in advance, and you can reasonably hypothesize that the scope of the current stresses he is under as a consequence of his career of being a big corrupt bag of baby poo poo are enough to make him blowing his top (a.k.a 'a Mt. Pompeiio Eruption') something that can happen to him easier and easier and with less effective optics control

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1221188993360039936

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

There Bias Two posted:

It's not about whether you agree with their political opinions, but whether or not they have a habit of posting false information and photos taken out of context. We have no idea whether these photos are from movie sets or anything like that because these outlets are not above doing such things.

They literally posted a complication video made up on the dozens of videos people have posted right out of the loving China. Jumping Jesus on a Pogostick god forbid I try to find the easiest option for people to watch, especially since most of us don't want to go to Chinese social media sites. They have exactly which accounts they got the source videos from in the video. I somehow doubt that they would go to all the work to fake a dozen cell phone shot videos, post them on various accounts and services many of which have been known and around for quite some time, post them for free so every other news organization can use them as well. Next thing you are going to do is tell me to "Read the Transcript" and that will prove to me that Trump did nothing wrong as well.

Again if you are outright discounting any news from any source without actually looking at it or jumping to conclusions that make no rational sense and making the case to ignore news because you aren't happy who is reporting it then you are no different than the Right Wing nutbags that discount anything that isn't Fox, OAN or the like.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

They literally posted a complication video made up on the dozens of videos people have posted right out of the loving China. Jumping Jesus on a Pogostick god forbid I try to find the easiest option for people to watch, especially since most of us don't want to go to Chinese social media sites. They have exactly which accounts they got the source videos from in the video. I somehow doubt that they would go to all the work to fake a dozen cell phone shot videos, post them on various accounts and services many of which have been known and around for quite some time, post them for free so every other news organization can use them as well. Next thing you are going to do is tell me to "Read the Transcript" and that will prove to me that Trump did nothing wrong as well.

Again if you are outright discounting any news from any source without actually looking at it or jumping to conclusions that make no rational sense and making the case to ignore news because you aren't happy who is reporting it then you are no different than the Right Wing nutbags that discount anything that isn't Fox, OAN or the like.

Maybe log off for a bit man

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Djarum posted:

you should probably go for a walk or something

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's not like Chinese social media doesn't have its own problems with clickbait and fake news poo poo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Velocity Raptor posted:

Leonard French posted this new video today that gives me some hope about convicting Donny Dipshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YEVjgxJlJ4

In short, because that loving smug-rear end turtle stated he wouldn't be impartial, and his lapdog Graham towing the line, there is a possibility that this could be settled in a court of law instead of the senate.

I 100% didn't understand any of this.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1221178482060865537?s=20

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1221179445685497856?s=20

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1221180615518756864?s=20

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Djarum posted:

Nobody's claiming that the Daily Mail is fabricating all of this poo poo themselves. At least as far as I know. They're saying that the Daily Mail is just uncritically repeating unverified poo poo from random sources online. At best that's wildly irresponsible.

After hurricane Sandy, for example, the Daily Mail posted a story full of tweets using the hashtag #SANDYLOOTCREW, all of which turned out to be fake. So you had multiple sources claiming to be first-hand accounts, photos that purported to be from the scene, and so on. But it was all utter bullshit. It in fact turned out to all coming from a single individual identifying themselves as the GNAA, the Gay N-word (he didn't say n-word) Association of America. (internet archive link to the article)

I'm not saying that this particular story is the same thing. But it's the same loving Daily Mail. It's a garbage source that can't be relied up to not simply regurgitate random internet garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He knows what he’s doing. His base hates the establishment because they value correct spelling and grammar. To them, typographical errors are attacks on the libs that make them rage in impotent fury.