Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Come to think of it, I should hack my New 2DSXL. Is there a thread for that? TIA.

There is a Nintendo homebrew thread for such things, but really you can just skip directly to the comprehensive guide at 3ds.hacks.guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Sticker Star is the bad Mario game right ?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fit em all up in there posted:

Sticker Star is the bad Mario game right ?

Very much so, yes.

STEM Manifesto
Sep 10, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

The clear HORI one. You'll have to import it, but afaik, it's the best one.

thanks dude

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

An Amazon seller sent me the incorrect power adapter for the original Nintendo DS. Thankfully, I won’t have to bother returning it. Assuming it was a 3DS adapter, it surprisingly didn’t fit my original 3DS. What system is this for in particular?

I’ve tried looking up more information to what it could be, but I’m getting things like “3DS, New 3DS and DSi all use the same adapter”.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That looks like it's for a DS Lite.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

That looks like it's for a DS Lite.

Thank you! Looks like you’re right about that.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
A ton of 3DS games are on sale on the e-shop!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ryuga Death posted:

SMT:Devil Survivor is on sale. How is that if I liked SMT IV but never beat the minotaur on account of that game being stupid hard?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

SMT:Devil Survivor is on sale. How is that if I liked SMT IV but never beat the minotaur on account of that game being stupid hard?

Devil survivor is a very different game, closer to fire emblem in gameplay.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations from this sale? I know Rune Factory 4 is generally recommended, too bad it doesn't have a demo. Trying out the Fire Emblem Awakening demo. That's the good Fire Emblem, right? Finding a boxed copy of it seems pretty pricey these days so maybe getting it on sale digitally is my best bet. SMT4 seems like it could be fun but I really wish it had a demo to try out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Awakening is very good. Can’t go wrong with it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Rune Factory 4 is coming to switch if you have one.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Awakening is very good. Can’t go wrong with it.

It depends. You stand to like it if you haven't played the previous games or any other Fire Emblem. It puts character class variety and customization above good level design, challenge, and depth.
If you like anime characterization Anne cliches as well as dating sims with consequences, you'd probably enjoy it.

I personally hated game and it just about killed the series for me, but I'm in the minority and it did well with a lot of people.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Blotto_Otter posted:

There is a Nintendo homebrew thread for such things, but really you can just skip directly to the comprehensive guide at 3ds.hacks.guide.
Thank you!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Ryuga Death posted:

Why won't you ever go on sale Bravely Default? :negative:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alliance Alive demo is a lot of fun! Even found out there's an HD release that'll be on steam soon, so that's a bonus.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

For those in Europe, the e-shop has a sale, until I don't know when (if it's like the Switch one it's today!) with a bunch of Capcom stuff half off, including all the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney stuff, Resident Evil Revelations and Mercenaries, and there was also Metal Gear Solid 3 for ten euro. So I picked that up. I've seen most of it played back in high school, but never played it myself and I know while it's not the best platform for it, that's a great price.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can someone explain or sell to me SMT4? From what I've read, it's a turn based rpg that's sort of like pokemon where you persuade demons to join you and there's a really terrible overworld map?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's basically the gist of it. Do you like Devil Man? It's basically a Devil Man jrpg.

The majority of the game is third person dungeon crawling and fighting demons and recruiting demons. Unlike Pokemon, you're not supposed to get attached to the demons, you're supposed to fuse them together to make stronger, better demons.

The battle system is brilliant. The press turn system is based around getting free turns whenever you exploit your enemy's weaknesses. (They can do it back to you too.)

The world map is kinda lovely, but you get used to it. It's worth playing, easily one of, if not the best JRPG on the system. It's so atmospheric, got a killer soundtrack, and has an intriguing story.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cross-posting but:

Bravely Default is amazing. I've hardly even played it, but drat! I've only just got the Knight Job making it a total of 4 jobs I now have, but I just love it. The look, the music!, the options, and just the potential. You can just see how awesome it's going to be, and the Brave/Default system is pretty loving brilliant in its simplicity.

It's crazy because I had a good time with DQVIII and thought that I could enjoy XI one day, but honestly it dragged near the end and I just wanted it to end. I may get at that point in Bravely Default, but frankly it's just the right amount of complex that I need. So I need to beat Bravely Second and the first before the new game comes out because already just a few hours in it's easily my favorite JRPG atm, if not in a long time.

I'm running with Edea as a Knight, Agnes as Blackbelt, Ringabel is going White Mage/Black Mage, and Tiz is a Freeloader lancer for now using Edea's awesome katana.

Can you hurt yourself but using "inappropriate" jobs to the character or does it not really matter? Like is Ringo going to be a better Mage forever now? I sort of want to see my options to make plans but I also don't want to spoil myself. Also how important is re-building the village? I miraculously have 4 villagers but things are going to take ages at that rate.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Characters are very, very, very weakly predisposed to some jobs based on base stats, but since you can just level up there’s literally no situation where it actually matters.

The village is useful but not necessary

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
If you talk to the save point guy in town, you can download new villagers once per day. You can get it done pretty easily after a few days of villagers.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hamsterlady posted:

If you talk to the save point guy in town, you can download new villagers once per day. You can get it done pretty easily after a few days of villagers.

Oh wait, regardless of Streetpass? Nice.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Characters are very, very, very weakly predisposed to some jobs based on base stats, but since you can just level up there’s literally no situation where it actually matters.

The village is useful but not necessary

Cool. What... are their predispositions? I'm not going to change but I'm curious.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Cool. What... are their predispositions? I'm not going to change but I'm curious.

Hi BD buddy. If you check my previous posts you'll find my friend code if you want to add me.

For the base stats, I just looked at who did what best in Freelancer class. As I remember, Agnes = Mage, Tiz and Edea = Physical Attackers, Ringabel = Speed. I rolled Ringabel as a White Mage for instance because healing team to start the turn seemed useful to me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Agnes has the highest magic, Edea the highest strength, Ringabel the highest speed and Tiz is kind of an all rounder and second best at most things.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know it's pronounced "Anyes" but I can't help but say "AGnes" because it's so amusing they gave a JRPG princess an old lady name. I hope Bravely Default 2 has an Ethel or Doris.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I pulled up my old "everyone literally max level and max jobs" save, set everyone to Freelancer, pulled their equipment/abilities and the stats are:
code:
Tiz: 
HP  9636
MP  758
STR 73
VIT 74
INT 72
MND 73
DEX 74
AGI 73

Agnes
HP  9457
MP  777
STR 71
VIT 71
INT 74
MND 74
DEX 71
AGI 72

Ringabel
HP  9478
MP  771
STR 72
VIT 72
INT 73
MND 71
DEX 75
AGI 74

Edea
HP  9461
MP  771
STR 74
VIT 74
INT 71
MND 71
DEX 73
AGI 71

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So yeah it's negligible. I'm just dressing them up with what looks best at the moment.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

btw as you progress through the game you're basically going to want to rotate all (or most) jobs onto everyone, since pretty much every job has a useful skill you can equip.

Also there is a sort of soft level cap for jobs (I think it's 4) until a certain point in the game, you'll know because the JP requirements will suddenly jump. At that point you're better off rotating to a different job to get more skills.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

btw as you progress through the game you're basically going to want to rotate all (or most) jobs onto everyone, since pretty much every job has a useful skill you can equip.

Also there is a sort of soft level cap for jobs (I think it's 4) until a certain point in the game, you'll know because the JP requirements will suddenly jump. At that point you're better off rotating to a different job to get more skills.

Thanks for the heads-up

Any and all advice is welcome

I love school yard rumors

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

irlZaphod posted:

I want to say it's more like 7-10/14, IIRC.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah I'm in chapter 3 and I think the limit is going from 9 to 10.

For reference, I am getting roughly 30 JP a fight, and the jump from 8 to 9 was 800.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I couldn't remember the exact point, but there is a definite jump in the JP requirements. Once you get to a later Chapter (5, I think) you start earning more JP per fight and it allows you to advance levels again.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

These Jobs just come flying out you. Just got Merchant and Thief, so Agnes is now a Thief, since her damage was finally dropping as a Monk. Though I'm eyeing some new claws in the village so maybe I'll just re-class her after that.

Is there any point in stealing though? Or rather, unmissable items? Should I be stealing from everyone or just from bosses or not even? I also got a Thief knife that lets me mug but I can't find the ability?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Stealing is mostly useful on bosses, and IIRC the best stuff comes from the Asterisk-holders.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How is Bravely Second? I hardly hear anyone talk about it but a store nearby has it cheap.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's solid. The soundtrack doesn't have Revo and it's weaker for it. But the rest of the game is good. I dunno why it got so cheap when the original keeps getting more and more expensive.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
bravely second is good but not as good as default, still worth playing and the new jobs are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's solid. The soundtrack doesn't have Revo and it's weaker for it. But the rest of the game is good. I dunno why it got so cheap when the original keeps getting more and more expensive.

There were a lot more copies of the second than the first and collectors want both.