Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't given Lynch any money for Season 3 yet so I bought the vinyl. Sometimes I will look at it and I will smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't experience pure joy watching a tiny monkey toddle after a chicken while shouting "my love, my love" in David Lynch's voice

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

My main thought after watching that short was how much mileage younger film makers can wring out of current tech and sfx with an iphone, a DAW, and some video editing.

It was just lynch playing around.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And how much a younger filmmaker wouldn’t be able to get away with because they are not David Lynch

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

If lynch was an old man who lived in my neighborhood and held little art shows in his garden or garage id go, so, i guess ill let him get away with whatever horrible thing he did here

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Personally, I think the monkey was framed.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is Lynch's version of the James/Evelyn storyline.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 13, 2020

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

And More posted:

Agreed. Imagine gushingly praising any old poo poo that some "renowned" director puts out despite it being obviously loving terrible to any normal human being. Lynch is one of the greatest carnies of all time and everyone unironically enjoying this complete shite is an utter loving rube.

Is the goal of experiencing art to align our tastes with what Something Awful forums poster "And More" imagines normal human beings like or don't like?

No.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Are we still talking about the short film in which David Lynch cross examines a monkey here?

In any case, it's certainly some kind of success that I got you to post for the first time in two years by reappropriating three year old posts. :v:

And More fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 26, 2020

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

And More posted:

Are we still talking about the short film in which David Lynch cross examines a monkey here?

In any case, it's certainly some kind of success that I got you to post for the first time in two years by reappropriating three year old posts. :v:

:golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I keep forgetting how dirty and gross they managed to make Bad Coop look (as opposed to our sweet, wholesome Dougie).

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S2E20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYGa_tOKpkI

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Horse costume, works every time!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My wi-fi's been acting dumb. Dugpas?

Also hell yeah, the horse costume :lol:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The possibility that love is not enough

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S2E21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0J0lvn98cU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bob's back!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Bob's back!

Can I get a frame of his arm when you get a chance?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Jeffe posted:

Sure! I'm out of town and watching through Plex, but when I get home I'll screencap it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like Jack’s little “welp, okay then, after you” gesture at the door of the plane

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Log Lady costume owns too hahaha

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Log Lady costume owns too hahaha

It's seriously uncanny

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

El Jeffe posted:

It's seriously uncanny

It's the one time his disguise actually works.

Some random observations:
- That jittering of the hand in episode 27 reminds me a lot of BOB's shaking arm in FWWM.

- Pete taking Audrey fishing is some compelling evidence for the "Audrey's Dream" theory. Maybe she does have a deep desire to go fishing, after all. :v:

- Interesting that major Briggs seems nearly aware that he's named after Judy Garland when high on haloperidol.

- It's pretty funny that Lana is supposedly doing this extremely sexy dance, yet Lucy outdoes her before she even gets to try. That jump leading into her doing the splits. :eyepop:

- There is such a strange fluidity to Earle using that remote control. Everything else looks way choppier due to the strobe lighting. I'm unsure whether it's intentional or just a strange side effect, though?

Since there is only one episode left, and it's a good'un, I'd like to take this time to nominate for

Most disappointing episode: Episode 17 (The one after Leland dies S 2.10)
We spend half its runtime wrapping up the show, only to reveal that it intends on keeping Cooper in Twin Peaks for bureaucratic reasons. It's an episode with many good scenes, but you can instantly tell that the show has no material left and it's trying to buy time.

Most wretched episode: Episode 24 (Wounds and Scars S 2.17)
Josie's death (in the preceding episode) marks the end of the last remaining side plot that has been set up by the pilot. You can't blame Harry for being sad, but it's not exactly fun to watch. The rest of our time is spent with John Justice Wheeler serenading us, Dick saving Ghostwood with hijinks, and Windom Earle ineptly pretending to be other people. The only things I truly like are Cooper hugging Harry, and Andy as a model with that deer in headlights look.

Worst of all, the following episodes 25 and 26 are nearly as uneventful. The only reason I wouldn't call them equally bad is because Gordon actually manages to breathe some life into this dying show.

Could I get a screenshot from Episode 27 of
- A "horse" approaching
- The closed diner at the end after Cooper kisses Annie
- The empty school corridor right after that
- Glastonbury Grove, wide shot as BOB's arm begins emerging (the shot before he actually appears)

from Episode 28 of
- Windom Earle's motor oil grin, please?

And More fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 26, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

The possibility that love is not enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZqJsX2Ub1o

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The repeating bit of various townspeople (including Coop!) suffering that alien hand movement and their clear concern over it, culminating in Bob forcing his way back into our reality arm first was absolutely masterful. It a spoiler for the finale but I do love the way the two villains of the season finally meet in the Black Lodge and Bob just immediately does away with Earle who not only doesn't interest him but is standing in the way of HIS revenge on Cooper. Earle's increasing lunacy is fun but also proves the lie to Cooper's constant refrains about how he's a genius whose mind they can't understand: he's just a lunatic who is making up the rules as he goes along to suit him. The absolute best part from him comes in the archival footage from Project Bluebook, where he's enthusiastically if madly spelling out his understanding of the Black Lodge - there's something about the way it is shot, the grainy footage coupled with him face taking up most of the frame etc, that gives it a really unsettling vibe of a guy with a mental illness on drugs raving his stream of consciousness, which is pretty much what it actually is.

Major Briggs having a happy wander through the forest in full uniform always cracks me up, as well as how he doesn't seem all THAT surprised at a guy in a horse costume approaching him from out of nowhere. Leo being smart enough to steal the trigger for the shock collar but not quite figuring out that it is the collar that electrocutes him is a lovely touch. Also I'm glad the Giant isn't a fan of beauty contests either and is madly trying to wave off Annie taking part in such a backwards tradition.

Pete being kind of mad outside the fireplace always strikes me as bizarre, like he's been drinking or something, but then the episode ends on that lovely note of him offering to take Audrey fishing, so that's nice :)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The slow pull-back and the increasing ominous hum on that shot in the diner of Coop and Annie flirting over the counter, that's some bizarre stuff

What was that all about? Next shot it was right back to a close-up and regular conversation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And More posted:

- There is such a strange fluidity to Earle using that remote control. Everything else looks way choppier due to the strobe lighting. I'm unsure whether it's intentional or just a strange side effect, though?

I believe this is because the remote's lights are internally lit, so they hold steady while the rest of the scene is lit only by the strobe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Data Graham posted:

The slow pull-back and the increasing ominous hum on that shot in the diner of Coop and Annie flirting over the counter, that's some bizarre stuff

What was that all about? Next shot it was right back to a close-up and regular conversation.

I love that shot, I was expecting an Earle reveal at the end of it showing he was watching or something because the pullback really was adding an ominous sense to everything, but then it snaps back to normal.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've missed you, TP thread :cry: I'm going to sorta tell you why I've not really been able to participate/post much the last several months, feel free to skip to the tl;dr if you wany!

First off, I am so, so, so sorry I had to kind of... vanish when this whole thing kinda started up - my "real life" got in the way, more or less, and I simply ceased to maintain the ability to just... peacefully watch something, and be able to properly think about it and write about. My living situation just really did not allow me the space or the ability to *consistently* do that in any remotely reasonable way anymore, and it was getting more tense and stressful each and every day. So I had to get out of there, and since I've lived almost my entire life in Maine (barring a couple years) I also wanted to get the hell out of the state! Lucky for me, a very good and longtime friend of mine (actually a goon) offered to let me crash here - it was a VERY kind and amazing gesture which probably saved my life and sanity - I'm trying to be a fantastic guest and do lots of cleaning/cooking/chores/etc... Anyway, LA is perfect for me and cheaper than Portland in a lot of cities/neighborhoods here, and I love it here and never want to suffer another Maine winter again, heh. I visited here and stayed for a while as a trial run, and that really went well. So I went home, put most of my possessions in storage or gave them away/threw them away, got my various affairs in order, and got ready to leave! Needless to say, getting in your car with whatever life essentials you have managed to stuff into it and just.. driving the 3200 miles across the full breadth of the country from Maine to Los Angeles alone (but for the company of my beloved cat/traveling companion Jackie) is a pretty drat intense thing - I took it slow and made it there in 7 days, which I'm honestly a bit embarrassed about it, but goddamn was it a long drive!

So I am finally settled in a bit here in LA - amusingly, I currently live on sort of... the outskirts of the region called the "Inland Empire", and I can't quite get used to it being a simple geographical term here without much more meaning. The uh... "vibe" here certainly has a bit of an eerie, Lynchian feel. Everything looks gorgeous and beautiful, the weather is perfect nearly every day, etc etc... But you look closer, and there's this venal sickness sort of lurking under the surface. For instance, I was walking the other day and walking across a sort of overpass - It's a gorgeous day, not a cloud in the sky, a cool breeze smelling very faintly of the ocean, and the road and sidewalk is beautifully maintained, and I'm sipping an iced coffee and it's just a lovely morning. I look down and over, I see that I'm actually quite high up and there is another road beneath me, and even THAT road overpasses a flood control channel. I have a weird thing for vertical-ish city designs. I make my way down and around to the road beneath mine, and I notice everything is shabbier, and the breeze is gone. I walk further down, and I see that the entire area under here is a "tent city" of homeless people. I see people nodding out - one guy is openly huffing an aerosol can of air, and the tents are packed together perfectly so as not to be visible from the overpass I was on. The stench of stale urine, and unwashed human is overpowering by now and unlike anything else I've ever encountered. It was so shocking to find that lurking under there, on an otherwise beautiful day. Reminded me of the man behind Winky's in Mulholland Drive.

But otherwise, LA is fantastic and great. I have so, SO many great films that I can properly see in their original print. For example, tomorrow night I am going to a screening of freaking Sunset Boulevard at the TCL Chinese Theater!!! I mean, good GOD if you had told me I'd even have that opportunity (let alone be able to follow through with it) and see one of the most classic and great films of all time in like the PALACE of Hollywood movie culture. And if you told me it was only $12.50 a ticket, well... That would shock me almost as much. I think this screening *might* top the midnight showing of Raging Bull I went to at Tarantino's own theater, we shall see. Part of me is especially intrigued to watch this film in a *classic theater* almost as warm-up for Season 3, because it just.... feels pertinent. Who knows if I'll ever get a chance to see this film again in a place like this!

tl;dr - I moved across the country to LA and my life is better now yay

So, I am sorry for going off a little bit there, but I felt I owed some sort of explanation. I'm very very very sad I missed so much of the rewatch, but I am *thrilled* that I showed up in time for the finale of season 2. I really had some great things to say about the Ben Horne Civil War subplot, too... And David Duchovny's guest spot is so legendary, he REALLY looked good back then and had great acting chemistry with Lynch. Regardless, I may share some of these thoughts as I catch up with you guys a bit; I may be belated but I am sincerely looking forward to this still :)

kaworu fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 26, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I miss LA sometimes, but every time I go back to California (even the Bay Area now) I get a bit of that same feeling you describe. That it's all artificial and synthetic, that humans just aren't quite capable of making a simulation that mimics reality well enough and California is what you get when the Matrix is perfect except for the glitches.

When I was in college a friend of mine and I had a "thing" for Titanic when it was first released, our ritual was to blow off studying and AMa95 TA section and go to watch Titanic in the Chinese Theater (Mann's at the time). I'm not sure why we kept going back but she kept suggesting it and we must have seen it like 5 times, no wonder I failed that class

Also saw a few Disney premieres at the El Capitan. That was even better in some ways.

Anyway glad you're back, just in time for TP to get good again

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The only major benefit to living in California is that you can make it a living research project to just exist in it, much like NYC or elsewhere. The valley is moderately racist suburbs and cities with salmon pink strip malls built up around former railroad depots, the ones with universities in them are a little better (sometimes). the coasts are an interesting blending from north to south. A lot of southerners migrated to the valley and the eastern foothills after the civil war, while a lot of the coasts were settled earlier by merchants and european settlements. And los angeles exploded in size and importance after the earthquake and fire destroyed san francisco (along with its port and shipping abilities). The focus on the gold rush in California has often made me think about lynch and his use of gold. I know it has metaphoric qualities for him, but...I wonder what does he think all these people out here are panning for. Then there’s pyrite of course.

Anyway, welcome to the state! and, it sounds like an even better state of mind. Also welcome back to the thread! I too haven’t kept up very well.

Maybe part of me just wants to rewatch S3. The finale build up is very good though. I wish they had been able to do more of this during the original run.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Glad you're in a better place (emotionally, mentally and it seems physically too) kaworu, welcome back :)

Also I'm assuming we're watching Fire Walk With Me as part of the re-watch, right?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Also I'm assuming we're watching Fire Walk With Me as part of the re-watch, right?

Yeah, that should be the weekend after next.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kaworu posted:

tl;dr - I moved across the country to LA and my life is better now yay
Welcome back :)

Jerusalem posted:

Yup! My question is how do we handle The Missing Pieces? Do the people who have access to it watch it the same weekend as FWWM?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've never actually watched Missing Pieces and I have it, so I'll certainly be taking advantage to fit it in this time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Jeffe posted:

And More posted:

Could I get a screenshot from Episode 27 of
- A "horse" approaching
- The closed diner at the end after Cooper kisses Annie
- The empty school corridor right after that
- Glastonbury Grove, wide shot as BOB's arm begins emerging (the shot before he actually appears)

from Episode 28 of
- Windom Earle's motor oil grin, please?

See above for arm shot

Jerusalem posted:

I've never actually watched Missing Pieces and I have it, so I'll certainly be taking advantage to fit it in this time.
Neat! I've only seen it once.

There's also the Q2 fan edit of FWWM that has all the Missing Pieces added in, for people who don't have it on Blu-Ray.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Welcome back, kaworu!

Rageaholic posted:

See above for arm shot

Thank you! The first few images are perfect. I actually meant the shot right before that one that's further zoomed out. I guess I didn't describe it well enough. :ohdear:

It's hideously low res, but this is the shot:

Rageaholic posted:

There's also the Q2 fan edit of FWWM that has all the Missing Pieces added in, for people who don't have it on Blu-Ray.

I tried to find it when you first mentioned it, but it seems the original fan edit has been removed.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 27, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
If you are watching the blu-rays, there are a couple of cast interviews from the previous disk that are relevant to these episodes. Kimmie Robertson mentioned how she got hate mail from people who couldn't believe she would do a split like that while pregnant since they were worried about her hurting the baby (she wasn't pregnant in real life). Best was Don Davis saying how he cut a huge fart falling to the ground after getting tranq'ed by Windom Earl (after eating beans from a taco truck) and scaring off a cute PA.

And More posted:

- Pete taking Audrey fishing is some compelling evidence for the "Audrey's Dream" theory. Maybe she does have a deep desire to go fishing, after all. :v:

I don't know how far you should push this theory, but if we're going to follow it. But I do think pretty much every scene between John Justice Wheeler and Ben or Audrey, or between Ben and Audrey related to Jack, can be read as if Jack is a manifestation of a younger Ben.

Also, if Annie and Audrey are connected, they are wearing pretty much the same thing at the end of the Miss Twin Peaks pageant. And they are the only ones we actually hear give a speech, right? No Shelly or Donna if I remember.

quote:

- Interesting that major Briggs seems nearly aware that he's named after Judy Garland when high on haloperidol.

Interesting that Cooper can just sniff and know he was injected with haloperidol. Who needs Albert!?

quote:

- It's pretty funny that Lana is supposedly doing this extremely sexy dance, yet Lucy outdoes her before she even gets to try. That jump leading into her doing the splits. :eyepop:
In the interview Kimmie says she choreographed that herself. Also kinda funny that Milford complains that Annie had "only been in town like 15 minutes" when Lana Budding was also a fairly new arrival...

Watching this last episode, I never realized how Cooper comes off as kind of a dick.
Annie: I'm super nervous about this public speech in front of the whole town that I haven't started and that I have to give in 6 hours.
Coop: Don't worry baby, just grab my tree

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Haloperidol. I'd bet my life on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Also, if Annie and Audrey are connected, they are wearing pretty much the same thing at the end of the Miss Twin Peaks pageant. And they are the only ones we actually hear give a speech, right? No Shelly or Donna if I remember.

I'm afraid it's actually Shelly and Audrey who wear similar types of dresses. You're right abut the speeches, though.

quote:

Also kinda funny that Milford complains that Annie had "only been in town like 15 minutes" when Lana Budding was also a fairly new arrival...

Poor guy is just grumpy because he's not getting to elope now. (Man, I tried to figure out whether Annie was born in Twin Peaks, and Mark Frost seems to have invented a really insane story about her upbringing.)

quote:

Watching this last episode, I never realized how Cooper comes off as kind of a dick.
Annie: I'm super nervous about this public speech in front of the whole town that I haven't started and that I have to give in 6 hours.
Coop: Don't worry baby, just grab my tree

Listen, we all know Cooper worked some Sex Magick here, so she'd win. :v: