Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I picked this up on a whim because it's on sale, I'm at the end of the first day and not sure if I should restart or finish this playthrough. I went heavy intelligence and have been enjoying the game so far once I realized how the internalized conversations worked. I do think I messed up and just equipped the first 3 thoughts I unlocked without much thought to how I've been building Harry.

Two questions - is it worth restarting to focus my build tighter, and how much gameplay should I expect to get out of a single playthrough if I'm at the end of day 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gyshall posted:

I picked this up on a whim because it's on sale, I'm at the end of the first day and not sure if I should restart or finish this playthrough. I went heavy intelligence and have been enjoying the game so far once I realized how the internalized conversations worked. I do think I messed up and just equipped the first 3 thoughts I unlocked without much thought to how I've been building Harry.

Two questions - is it worth restarting to focus my build tighter, and how much gameplay should I expect to get out of a single playthrough if I'm at the end of day 1?

Nah, you get tons of skill points, you don't need to be super careful about your build. Just roll with it.

The length of the game varies a lot depending on how fast you read, but I finished my first run in about 20 hours. That was missing a bunch of stuff, though, you could easily hit 30 if you're more thorough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gyshall posted:

I learned every single thought cabinet I ever gotten with the exception of Advanced Race Theory, replacing old ones when my slots got full, purely because I was always curious about what they did, and I managed to get a good ending no problems.

You can do the same.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You really don't need to optimize your skills or thoughts at all, not least because your failures will still move you forward for the most part.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Great, thanks goons. Game owns, I hope the devs made tons of money on this game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone tell me if the karaoke dice roll is rigged or not? I had a 96% or something chance to do it and I rolled snake eyes.
I mean, the result was amazing and all, so I'm not complaining, but I suspect that it's totally rigged.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The fact that you never 'have' to minmax and there are no 'trap builds' is one of the big triumphs of this game mechanically.

You play the PC you want to play and it'll probably work out. Somehow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone tell me if the karaoke dice roll is rigged or not? I had a 96% or something chance to do it and I rolled snake eyes.
I mean, the result was amazing and all, so I'm not complaining, but I suspect that it's totally rigged.

No, you can succeed at it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

No, you can succeed at it.

I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse but I'm glad to know that I'm extremely (un)lucky at least.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse but I'm glad to know that I'm extremely (un)lucky at least.

There's a Thought that makes you automatically fail every Red Check while you're working on Internalizing it. I got screwed by this a few times when I got careless. Maybe that's what happened to you?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Failure is a lot better than success imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Well Kim approved of it regardless and that's what's important.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
So, Dolores Dei did genocide? So much for humanism.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
That is why the new religion should revolve around Contact Mike

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Harry X Getting His poo poo Together OTP

you mean harry X volumetric poo poo compressor OTP

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
About to start this game since so many friends recommended it to me.
Going in completely spoiler free - any must know before i get in?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RattiRatto posted:

Probably don't start your first playthrough with a 1 in Phys or Psy. Sensitive Cop is a nice first start.
It may seem like there's a time limit, but there isn't.
Eventually all your investigation leads will point to a certain person. Confronting that person is a point of no return--take care of all your business before then.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

RattiRatto posted:

You have a hotel bill you need to pay. There's ways to get help with the bill on day 1, but you must pay your day 2 hotel bill out of your own pocket, and there is no way to avoid paying that bill.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

JamMasterJim posted:

That is why the new religion should revolve around Contact Mike

Contact Mike rose from the slums of Saint-Batise to the top of the boxing world, overcoming adversity and serious brain trauma. Nothing is coming -- nothing he wouldn't knock out in three rounds. The real fight is for the right attitude. :eng101:

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

RattiRatto posted:

Have 20 reál by the evening of Day 2.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Hope you haven't gone through any terrible relationship drama recently

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If Harry (jock) and Acele (nerd) start a band, it will be Ween. That is the true litany of Contact Mike.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

RattiRatto posted:

The BeforeIPlay on it is solid http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Disco_Elysium but your value of spoiler free may vary.

Otherwise just because I cannot remember how much of the controls the game ever tells you.:
Autosaves are kind of far apart. F1 is a Help screen. F5, and F9 are quicksave/load. Don't savescum, but losing progress sucks too.
Double-click to run.
Time only passes by talking/doing things.
Tab to highlight interactables.
If you are about to hit 0 health or morale you can use a healing item still by clicking on the stat before the bar hits 0.
Right click can equip/unequip if dragging is a drag.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Savescum if you want.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'll admit to having save scummed some moments. Like dancing. But my advice stands at the level of 'broad starting advice'. Apologies if the tone was off.

Most notably some of the coolest/most glorious/funniest moments lie behind failures. White and Red.

I should really let myself hit 0 health or morale sometime and see how those go.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nosfereefer posted:

So, Dolores Dei did genocide? So much for humanism.

She reads like a critique of liberalism, really. She's the welfare state, she's an alleged historical inevitability, a humanist, yet also a genocidal colonialist. She knows what's good for you and you're going to get it, alive for dead, because she is BETTER than you and she's going to show you how to be like her.

In the end she was murdered because she, like the bourgeoisie, was not human.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 26, 2020

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Although she could not directly address the problem of the expanding pale, one of the churches dedicated to her would eventually become the planet's only successful institute for dance and entroponetics.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Every time I had the choice to accuse someone of owning the mug I did and it was worth it. I didn’t make the connection to Gary and the house Evrart gives you the key to, because I didn’t talk to him in the Whirling until like 4 days later. I like how the racist Lorry driver thinks it’s hilarious and doesn’t seem to realize that you’re accusing him of being racist.

the only bug I ran into in the game was Kim having dialogue when he wasn’t with me, and it was strange because it suggested I come back with Kim for at least one or two dialogue options. It might’ve just been because I went to the fishing village for the first time right after he takes the body, which was the first time I went out without him.

Xanderkish posted:

Planescape is compared continually to Disco Elysium for very good reasons. That being said, it is bogged down a bit by some outdated RPG mechanics, primarily with combat. For me, it's not a deal breaker, and I've played it several times already.

It's also less about topics like politics and mental illness and more about subverting RPG tropes, but I still think the quality of writing is top-notch and gripping.

Entorwellian posted:

Planescape Torment is closest to Disco Elysium. Icewind Dale does have a good story but it's less about choice and all about combat, and you probably wouldn't like it as much.
The Baldur's Gate series is half and half.

Ok cool, I’ll definitely get them if they go on sale, cause both bundles are like 50 bucks. Seems like they’d be dirt cheap on PC tho, given how old they are.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

When I play Torment I play on pic and use a save editor to boost str|con up to Max, which trivializes the combat.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

FunkyFjord posted:

Hope you haven't gone through any terrible relationship drama recently

Disagree, this game is great if you had terrible relationship drama recently, speaking from experience.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Khizan posted:

When I play Torment I play on pic and use a save editor to boost str|con up to Max, which trivializes the combat.

A very smart and valid way to play Torment. As is minimum difficulty so it goes faster.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sat down on a bench and enjoyed the cold, misty weather today. It was quite enjoyable! Strong recommend, become the Shivers.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Imhotep posted:

Ok cool, I’ll definitely get them if they go on sale, cause both bundles are like 50 bucks. Seems like they’d be dirt cheap on PC tho, given how old they are.

Note : Planescape Torment is the one that is weird and cool and expressive with lots of talking and stuff. (And cool Planescape flavour and factions.) I seem to recall Max Wisdom was the meta for some reason? Like, it boosted XP gain and was the big talking stat check?

Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate series are straight up D&D RPGs. Icewind being more fighty but both will have you chopping up baddies as a big part of your time. I've fond memories, but they aren't like Disco Elysium.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ragnar34 posted:

She reads like a critique of liberalism, really. She's the welfare state, she's an alleged historical inevitability, a humanist, yet also a genocidal colonialist. She knows what's good for you and you're going to get it, alive for dead, because she is BETTER than you and she's going to show you how to be like her.

In the end she was murdered because she, like the bourgeoisie, was not human.

This is basically the reading intended, I think, since Moralism is basically the equivalent to third-way neoliberalism/neoconservatism that touts its supposed pragmatism and mercy while ignoring its atrocities. Ultraliberalism is just full on free market capitalism/libertarianism that isn't exactly in conflict with Moralism if only because it's ridiculously easy to just manipulate them with a token facade of moralism instead.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mr. Dick seems to recall there also being a perk related to wisdom being the psyche equivalent of fortitude.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

see what happens when you run your mouth

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Did you consider not: Shooting the child in the face?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Snowman Crossing posted:

You're the worst loving cop, but also gently caress you Garte.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Snowman Crossing posted:

To stop a child-murderer, Dick Mullen must become a child-murderer... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

Apparently, there is actually a lot of dialogue locked away behind physical attribute requirements, which hardly anyone has ever seen since everyone knows you have to put all your points in Wis/Int/Cha. I think cheating all your attributes to max is the best of way playing.