Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh gently caress, I didn't realise that's Timon's voice. And the bird is Costanza.

Ugly cartoons were all the rage in the 90s. Not everything has to look cute.

And the principal is Vizzini. By the standards of Saturday Morning cartoons it is an absolutely all-star cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I'm really enjoying how Teacher's Pet weaves in references to science and historical figures into the show. There had to be at least one kid who knew who Peron was or that the capital of Malawi was Lilongwe from the show. It's not in your face either since the main character is a show-offy know-it-all too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ugly cartoons were all the rage in the 90s. Not everything has to look cute.

I do have to wonder what caused that trend. The "ugly" style was probably at least partially backlash against the Disney/Filmation/Hanna-Barbera. On the other hand, you did have other new styles for example Batman: The Animated Series.

There really was a huge glut in cartoons in the 90's, like way more than I remember from the 80's where you could always find old Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry filling time slots.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How I met your mother has an episode that's just a Microsoft Bing and Maury Povich commercial presupposing Maury Povich would still be known in 2030

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Iron Crowned posted:

I do have to wonder what caused that trend. The "ugly" style was probably at least partially backlash against the Disney/Filmation/Hanna-Barbera.

Klasky-Chupo.

They gor their druthers on the first couple season of The Simpsons, which (espeically on those first two seasons) was really an ugly cartoon when you get down to it. Yellow people, massive overbites, and...uhh...actual monster people who look like this:

Then they went and made their own cartoons to emphasize their unique brand of "ugly, but technically competent"* cartoons like Rugrats, Ahhh! Real Monsters, Duckman, etc...Other studios then just sort of capitalized on the trend.

John K probably can take some credit, too, since he developed Ren and Stimpy and it was kind of ugly at times and plenty of cartoons tried to ape it's style as well.

*As opposed to basically every cartoon from the mid 60's to the late 80's (basically before Ducktales) that was "pretty, but technically incompetent."

Like...Scooby-Doo and Transformers can look fine if you just have one static shot/cell, but once the actual animation starts, woo-boy.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I love those two guys with Bart hair who have become stuck together in the crowd like an MC Escher painting. It's nothing like the Simpsons at all, but I wish there were more shows with stuff like that.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Calaveron posted:

How I met your mother has an episode that's just a Microsoft Bing and Maury Povich commercial presupposing Maury Povich would still be known in 2030

Also the whole show is way more transphobic than you probably remember. Like, a lot of weird uncomfortable jokes about trans sex workers.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jedit posted:

Outside the half-plus-seven rule, though.

I don't know about Drake's dating history, or indeed who Drake is, but I've heard people mention before that he's grooming Millie Bobby Brown.

The half plus seven rule is dumb if both parties are older than, like, 22. Adults can date who they want.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Moon Monster posted:

The half plus seven rule is dumb if both parties are older than, like, 22. Adults can date who they want.

No, it's still weird.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Actually, in Europe

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

The Moon Monster posted:

Technically yes, but it's still gross if a 55 year old dates someone who's only 22. The age difference implies an imbalance in experience and power, and that the older of the two is exploiting that imbalance for their own gain.

If course there are exceptions, and it should be judged on a case-by-case basis. But as a rule-of-thumb the 'half your age plus seven' rule is valid more often than not.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nah, it's disrepsectful/infantalizing to grown rear end adults in service of scoring creep points on the older party. And anyway Seinfeld dated a high school student while in his thirties so creep points: scored, no need for some meme-y rule.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Twenty somethings are not grown rear end adults, if you're over 50 and need to date someone 30 years younger than you, you're a creep. There's no need for a rule because that's common sense.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The half-plus-seven rule is like a lot of rules - it's a bit arbitrary, obviously, but it exists so that you'll think about it before you break it. Like speed limits. Someone going 70mph in a 65 zone isn't really being dangerous, and in the same way a 50-year-old dating a 30-year-old isn't really being creepy. But someone doing 100 in a 65, or a 50-year-old dating a 19-year-old, is a whole different loving story.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

The Moon Monster posted:

Nah, it's disrepsectful/infantalizing to grown rear end adults in service of scoring creep points on the older party. And anyway Seinfeld dated a high school student while in his thirties so creep points: scored, no need for some meme-y rule.

Sorry, you're right. What I meant by exceptions are more akin to "65 year-old dating a 37 year-old", which I should have been more explicit about. But absolutely agree with the other posts, if a person outside their late-20's dates somebody who can only be described as "young" then it's super creepy; and likely based on imbalanced relationship dynamics.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
50 and 30 is creepy as poo poo. weirdo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So it would be creepy if this man dated a 30 year old?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Up till twenty, the difference shouldn't be much more than two years.

Between twenty and thirty, everything goes, as long as it's legal.

Between thirty and forty, date anyone between 25 and your own age.

After thirty, it's chaos and just do what you want.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Ok, groomer.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

Yes

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
no one should date anyone ever.

a tv episode that didn't age well is star trek: the next generation.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Twenty somethings are not grown rear end adults

...?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

:golfclap:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The rear end keeps developing well into your 40's.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pick posted:

50 and 30 is creepy as poo poo. weirdo.

Caring about a 30 year old dating someone older is creepy as poo poo.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
ageplay isn't weird but pursuing a spurned lover as they flee you over the misty moors and beneath a large truck is? typical GBS hypocracy.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Anyone remember the show Kung Fu

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

somepartsareme posted:

All I remember is the final episode involves a belt and a closet

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

Fantasy RPGs do. The D&D monk and all its descendants are just Gary Gygax letting people play Carradine.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

somepartsareme posted:

I only remember two bits.

One episode where David Carradine used Kung Fu magic to force-push somebody to the ground, causing a bullet to miss them.

And then one where he and his pupil went back in time and paradoxed it so that they were the ones who inspired the creation of Crane and Tiger styles.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

somepartsareme posted:

I only remember it came on after The Searcher/Danger Theatre here on our local station

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

The half-plus-seven rule is like a lot of rules - it's a bit arbitrary, obviously, but it exists so that you'll think about it before you break it. Like speed limits. Someone going 70mph in a 65 zone isn't really being dangerous, and in the same way a 50-year-old dating a 30-year-old isn't really being creepy. But someone doing 100 in a 65, or a 50-year-old dating a 19-year-old, is a whole different loving story.

The best summary on the top end of half-plus-seven is that it has a corollary which eventually replaces it some time around age 50: "no man should be older than his mother-in-law".

Beachcomber's using Keanu as an example was quite amusing, considering that pretty much the first joke in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is how squicked they both are that Bill's stepmother went to high school with them.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Eh! Frank posted:

I only remember it came on after The Searcher/Danger Theatre here on our local station

I miss Danger Theatre so much. :(

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neito posted:

Also the whole show is way more transphobic than you probably remember. Like, a lot of weird uncomfortable jokes about trans sex workers.

And also an episode where the entire cast appears in yellowface.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

It's kind of funny to use Reeves as an example because he's probably in one of the most appropriate age difference couples in Hollywood. About 10 years between them with her being in her mid 40s.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

It's kinda hard for an immortal to date people his own age though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

somepartsareme posted:

What about Kung Fu: The Legend Continues?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The Moon Monster posted:

Leo get off the forums and make another movie with Nolan.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

22 is way too old for Drake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Alhazred posted:

And also an episode where the entire cast appears in yellowface.

gently caress, I had purged that entire season from my memory, and now it's flooding back.

God that show was a mess toward the end half.