Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/scottwongdc/status/1220740830677405704?s=21

there's a bunch of other reports but I'm too many vodka shots deep into the evening to collate them for you

lol nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hopefully the Wuhan coronavirus culls a good amount of them.

unfortunately it also seems to kill kids and the unhealthy

in the former case it'll only cost us the Good Demographics in 15 years, in the latter case, well, rip goons

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
On Friday, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the director of the CDC's Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said the incubation period for the novel coronavirus, called 2019-nCoV, is an estimated 14 days from the time of exposure to getting sick.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

rewatching contagion and the insane super virus in this movie has an R0 of 2 lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

at least the mortality rate isnt apocalyptic i guess

3% is like "LMAO 97% survival" but like

Holy poo poo 3% is really loving high

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

what's the flu's mortality rate? I tried looking it up earlier, but the best I found were a few counts of the number killed in given years, which doesn't include the number infected

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

rewatching contagion and the insane super virus in this movie has an R0 of 2 lol

the tweets from scientists monitoring this are like "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD -- R0 OF 3.8??!?! THIS IS THERMONUCLEAR!!!"

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220919589623803905

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TeenageArchipelago posted:

what's the flu's mortality rate? I tried looking it up earlier, but the best I found were a few counts of the number killed in given years, which doesn't include the number infected

For the common flu?

0.1%

official reports of Coronavirus are right around 3% mortality

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

3% is like "LMAO 97% survival" but like

Holy poo poo 3% is really loving high

232 million people on the approximate current world population

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm stocked up on duct tape and plastic sheeting. got palettes of the stuff. let's do this.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

For the common flu?

0.1%

official reports of Coronavirus are right around 3% mortality

bit unfair comparison considering the sample size tbh

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it feels a bit paranoid to be stocking up on masks but idk

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i am getting a bit of a cough and i have seen many asians coughing in sf (they generally do not cover their mouths)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

triple sulk posted:

the masks are worthless, virii are way smaller than mask tolerance

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

that's what i figured, plus it'd need to be on perfectly, plus the supposed lifespan on objects anyway

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

triple sulk posted:

it's always the same poo poo: it's paranoid right up until, it's necessary but impossible (you should've done it 2 weeks ago, gosh)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

basically your best bet for escaping Coronavirus

• 1. don't touch your eyes or mouth
  • 2. always sanitize your hands when you get home
  • 3. don't go out from your home until this dies down

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i'm in a major metro, so i assume i'm hosed no matter what really, in terms of exposure

hopefully its just a few days of feeling lovely and not something worse

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
lol
https://twitter.com/tinacarmillia/status/1220965583925067777?s=20

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
The Good: Well, it's just Pneumonia

The Bad: Everyone who can't handle Pneumonia is going to die

Give your grandparents a hug

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

masks are effective for viral infections

https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/mask

quote:

First, a 2008 study published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases concluded that when used correctly, masks are highly effective in preventing the spread of viral infections. Family members of children with flu-like illnesses who used the masks properly were 80 percent less likely to be diagnosed with the illness. Surprisingly, the difference between types of masks used was insignificant.

Another study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine reported similar results. Researchers looked at 400 people who had the flu. They found that family members reduced their risk of getting the flu by 70 percent when they washed their hands often and wore surgical masks.

viruses are still carried by aerosols that cant get through your mask. they also reduce how much you directly touch your face.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I didn't follow SARS very closely when it was happening

how big of a deal was its out break and spread, compared to this

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

has anyone checked in on pangzai....... where does he live exactly......

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

IDK how you'd get more perfect than that. Waterborne and diarrhea?

that's cholera

it killed a bunch of people before we figured that out and went "hey let's not drink water that someone with cholera has poo poo in"

it still occasionally kills a bunch of people in places or disaster situations where the "purify the poo poo water" tech breaks down or was never present

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Bullfrog posted:

has anyone checked in on pangzai....... where does he live exactly......

just lol if you think the government is going to let him talk about coronavirus

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

IDK how you'd get more perfect than that. Waterborne and diarrhea?

way back in the earliest flash game versions of plague inc i remember the winning strategy was basically: airborne, long incubation period. you'd get a ton of points from spreading minor symptoms relatively quickly, then you'd mutate something insanely lethal like making them vomit blood as soon as you had a foot hold on every continent (and madagascar)

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eric ciaramella posted:

you just KNOW there are some rich families bribing their way out of the quarantine. probably even leaving the country.

They’re on the way to your town now dude

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dude you don’t understand, you and your family are already dead

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minrad posted:

way back in the earliest flash game versions of plague inc i remember the winning strategy was basically: airborne, long incubation period. you'd get a ton of points from spreading minor symptoms relatively quickly, then you'd mutate something insanely lethal like making them vomit blood as soon as you had a foot hold on every continent (and madagascar)

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/531922043705753602?s=20

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Like many scientest goons, I've been simulating this whole china disaster in plague: evolved and ha-ha if we let this get out of control and don't just turn up the global difficulty

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

eboler'? maybe after I've had a few coronas!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SKULL.GIF posted:

the tweets from scientists monitoring this are like "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD -- R0 OF 3.8??!?! THIS IS THERMONUCLEAR!!!"

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220919589623803905

This guy has old/bad info and more recent info has the R0 at ~2.6. Still bad obviously.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

RandomBlue posted:

This guy has old/bad info and more recent info has the R0 at ~2.6. Still bad obviously.

yeah 2.6 is still worse than spanish flu

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1221236638325436417

More dead than cured is pretty loving scary and makes me think we don't have good fatality rates yet.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
mortality is low so ehhh watch the doom unfold and enjoy ur 2 week sick vacation when ur office gets infected. sucks a bunch of infants and oldes will die, well, moreso infants. also please work out to become an antifa supersoldier

poo poo's probably not even the deadly strain we'll see in the next 20 years with how mega industrial meat farming, deregulations, and antiviral/antibiotic usage is going and a losing battle because NUMBER must go up and bacon must be cheap

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

mortality is low so ehhh watch the doom unfold and enjoy ur 2 week sick vacation when ur office gets infected. sucks a bunch of infants and oldes will die, well, moreso infants. also please work out to become an antifa supersoldier

poo poo's probably not even the deadly strain we'll see in the next 20 years with how mega industrial meat farming, deregulations, and antiviral/antibiotic usage is going and a losing battle because NUMBER must go up and bacon must be cheap

:eyepoop:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RandomBlue posted:

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1221236638325436417

More dead than cured is pretty loving scary and makes me think we don't have good fatality rates yet.

gently caress these aren't even the real numbers they're just the 'official' ones which are no doubt wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

starting a new job at a hospital soon. pretty excited. :)