Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Bentai posted:

"Find someone that will look at you like Hakuho looks at Enho."

I bet hakuho gets rowdy in the locker rooms when his boys win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747
Tokoshoryu vs Takakeisho tomorrow for the yusho or a playoff

Ozeki pride on the line!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I've been pretty busy, but this last day is gonna be fun to watch.

For those who don't usually watch live, day 15 is fun with all kinds of bizarre traditions, including the sumo dances before the final 3 matches (the kore yori sanyaku), a strong possibility of a playoff, and if you can stay up late enough, the parade of trophies. The parade of trophies is one of the most absurd thing in sports where the winner has to stand there and receive trophy after trophy after trophy, like 20 of them, as the crowd slowly gets bored and starts to leave. At the very, very end the young new recruits all get in a circle, drink beer, and literally throw one of the old gyoji up in the air a few times.

That all sounds like a joke, but this is Japan, so of course it is not.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rigel posted:

For those who don't usually watch live, day 15 is fun with all kinds of bizarre traditions, including the sumo dances before the final 3 matches (the kore yori sanyaku), a strong possibility of a playoff, and if you can stay up late enough, the parade of trophies. The parade of trophies is one of the most absurd thing in sports where the winner has to stand there and receive trophy after trophy after trophy, like 20 of them, as the crowd slowly gets bored and starts to leave. At the very, very end the young new recruits all get in a circle, drink beer, and literally throw one of the old gyoji up in the air a few times.

Where and when to watch?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fruity no gay posted:

Tokoshoryu vs Takakeisho tomorrow for the yusho or a playoff

Ozeki pride on the line!

considering that takakeisho literally can't win it, i can't help but feel sorry for rocket egg. that is an absurd jump.

ah well, shodai might get his vengeance!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Where and when to watch?

i've been watching here. undercard on now. makuuchi division on at 5pm australia time (you're australian right?) https://www.twitch.tv/mbovosumo

e: aw teruonfuji poo poo the bed the last two days. still, hope it's enough.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 26, 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Marching Powder posted:

i've been watching here. undercard on now. makuuchi division on at 5pm australia time (you're australian right?) https://www.twitch.tv/mbovosumo

Yup mate

Just got back from Europe so despite posting been unable to watch til now

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

Yup mate

Just got back from Europe so despite posting been unable to watch til now

sweet. they get english speaking dudes to commentate for the top div and it's a pretty reliable stream

i follow along with the matches / results here http://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/torikumi/1/15/

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Lid posted:

Where and when to watch?

There are multiple sources, but whatever the source, the channel probably has to be Abema TV and not NHK if you want to see everything. NHK cuts out in the middle of the parade of trophies.

edit: mbovosumo uses NHK. If you want to see the whole parade, the gyoji getting tossed, etc very late tonight, maybe try (or switch over to) D i on youtube.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I believe https://www.twitch.tv/karla_marxist uses Abema

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Rigel posted:

also one of the trophies is a giant macaron

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh right, everyone place your bets on what color macaron it will be this time. Also I believe one of the other trophies is a fish.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm predicting pink for the macaron

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Does sumo also get the cup of noodles man?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, the macaron is an 'every time' thing?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ok i'm putting iit out there, rocket egg is getting hosed. making him fight an ozeki last, and giving shodai a 7-7 dude two ranks above him and forcing rocket egg to have two massive fights back to back for the cup is pretty hosed up

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, the macaron is an 'every time' thing?

yes, and guessing the color of the macaron is a silly side bet amongst sumo nerds. The Macaron is France's "trophy".

It can be any color, but the common ones are green, blue, yellow, pink, sometimes gold. other colors are possible but less common. They don't repeat colors 2 basho in a row, and I don't remember what they did in November.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 26, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

first match about to start

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
These English commentators have the same cadence as cricket and lawn bowls commentary. It is amazing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

first match about to start

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

These English commentators have the same cadence as cricket and lawn bowls commentary. It is amazing.

lol. they absolutely do.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Macaroon will be blue.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lid posted:

Murray Johnson is Australian, probably why.

E: I'd say gold for macaron. It seems like it's popping up frequently in last year or so.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 26, 2020

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Takanosho vs Ikioi: Man I dunno. It really feels like the heel touched first.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bentai posted:

Takanosho vs Ikioi: Man I dunno. It really feels like the heel touched first.

The replay was pretty clear, hand hit the floor well before the heel touched down.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

What level is going on right now, I've never watched before. I do agree with you that this is interensting.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Maigius posted:

What level is going on right now, I've never watched before. I do agree with you that this is interensting.
Top division sumo wrestlers.

Edit
Tokushoryu you absolute legend!

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 26, 2020

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES? :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The biggest lol imaginable :allears:, what a perfect ending.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

So many beautiful tears....

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Takakeisho looked like he landed awkwardly, I hope he didn't get hurt.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dad camera. :allears:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The feed I've been watching has had a commentator in a sport coat and slacks demonstrating the strategy of the previous match along with a small guy dressed more like you'd expect. It's neat, after you get over how weird it looks.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

This was the greatest basho to move sumo to Rowdy Ringsports for.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Maigius posted:

The feed I've been watching has had a commentator in a sport coat and slacks demonstrating the strategy of the previous match along with a small guy dressed more like you'd expect. It's neat, after you get over how weird it looks.

The man on the left is 66th Yokozuna Wakanohana, the man on the right is holocaust denier, plastic surgeon and Abema TV advertiser, doctor takasu.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i couldn't have scripted a better ending and i am absolutely thrilled with the result and the basho in general

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

If you're curious, the sumo rankings resulting from this Basho will be released on February 24th, the next Basho will start on March 8th.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Brut posted:

The man on the left is 66th Yokozuna Wakanohana, the man on the right is holocaust denier, plastic surgeon and Abema TV advertiser, doctor takasu.

lol, and he seems like such a nice little man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It was pink.

drat.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 26, 2020