Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I’m vomiting blood is that fish flu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given that the fatality rate for people that end up in hospital is currently sitting at 53%, you'd need 95% of cases to never see a hospital just to get it down to Spanish flu levels - and for every fatality to happen in a hospital.

Going off the confirmed cases, it's 53 deaths out of 1975, for a death rate of 2.82%. One of the problems with containing something like coronavirus (as opposed to more highly virulent / deadly diseases) is that the combination of long incubation period + low severity in many patients makes it incredibly difficult to assess who's even a carrier.

It's going to be bad, and it's probably going to kill a lot of people, and a lot of it will be because it's difficult to track a disease that doesn't require assistance in many people.

e: this is also why part of why the outbreak took so long to track, probably, non-SARS coronavirus isn't exactly a rare thing and nonlethal cases are far from unusual

Niton fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 26, 2020

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

snoo posted:

good time to not have health insurance in the US

lol what?

oh gently caress

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Centrist Committee posted:

you're already dead

or close to it if you're vomiting blood

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Centrist Committee posted:

all of your blood has fallen out of your body at once.

you are now in a critical state.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Niton posted:

Going off the confirmed cases, it's 53 deaths out of 1975, for a death rate of 2.82%.
The vast majority of those people are still sick. I was going off the numbers for cured/dead.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

MorrisBae posted:

Herpes lives in your system after you are no longer systematic

You are not cured of herpes

So does chicken pox. This all seems like semantics nerd poo poo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Victory Position posted:

all of your blood has fallen out of your body at once.

you are now in a critical state.

Just rest in a bed for 1 hour

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Niton posted:

Going off the confirmed cases, it's 53 deaths out of 1975, for a death rate of 2.82%. One of the problems with containing something like coronavirus (as opposed to more highly virulent / deadly diseases) is that the combination of long incubation period + low severity in many patients makes it incredibly difficult to assess who's even a carrier.

It's going to be bad, and it's probably going to kill a lot of people, and a lot of it will be because it's difficult to track a disease that doesn't require assistance in many people.

e: this is also why part of why the outbreak took so long to track, probably, non-SARS coronavirus isn't exactly a rare thing and nonlethal cases are far from unusual

OTOH 49 people saved so far out of 1985 infected is a survival rate of only 2.5%

Truly apocalyptic.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

OTOH 49 people saved so far out of 1985 infected is a survival rate of only 2.5%

Truly apocalyptic.
Finally someone talking sense.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

'cured' refers to the specimens they preserved for later study??

edit: i think its just the 'congrats you made a post!' page messing up. if you just go back to thread manually its quick as ever

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mantis42 posted:

Truly apocalyptic.

lol jesus imagine if a disease like this had a 50% K/d

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

MorrisBae posted:

Herpes lives in your system after you are no longer systematic

You are not cured of herpes

So does chicken pox. This all seems like semantics nerd poo poo.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'cure' implies an effective treatment, you either die or you don't and no one can help you with that.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Fly Molo posted:

imagine a 100% k/d

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the disease isn't even real lol. this is china fighting back against trump's trade war. open you're eyes folks.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

upgunned shitpost posted:

'cure' implies an effective treatment, you either die or you don't and no one can help you with that.

Oh really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdbLqOXmJ04

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Minrad posted:

the disease isn't even real lol. this is china fighting back against trump's trade war. open you're eyes folks.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

CODChimera posted:

imagine a 100% k/d

sweet release

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lmfao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

california

here we cooooooooooome

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

CODChimera posted:

imagine a 100% k/d
Viruses arguably aren't even alive in the first place, so their K/D will be infinite the moment they kill a single person.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fly Molo posted:

we probably won't see one that high, but i think it's likely to start seeing more pigbatavian power lvl 9999 uber-flus in the coming years and getting to even 15% would be real bad

capitalism is also the perfect vector because everyone has no safety nets, no to little sick days, managers depending you show up even if you aren't feeling well or esle NUMBER will fall and then they'll go even (further) into debt and starve or lose their lease, so wide swaths of people have to be constantly working despite knowing they're sick

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 26, 2020

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Fly Molo posted:

imagine a 100% k/d

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Mantis42 posted:

Truly apocalyptic.

quit disseminating CIA/Chinese talking points.

this is going to kill 3% of the world's population.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Bad bad news...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/live/2020/jan/26/coronavirus-outbreak-death-toll-rises-to-54-as-canada-confirms-first-case
Hong Kong now has a sixth confirmed case of coronavirus. According to reports, the patient, who was admitted to Ruttonjee Hospital in Wan Chai district of Hong Kong, had recently travelled to Wuhan on a high speed train before returning to Hong Kong

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I wonder if the huge incubation period also is saving us from the insane world travel aspect since whatever rich bastard gets it in wuhan probably is back at home by the time it actually becomes contagious and they're relatively easily trackable.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

imagine a...ahh nevermind

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

I wonder if the huge incubation period also is saving us from the insane world travel aspect since whatever rich bastard gets it in wuhan probably is back at home by the time it actually becomes contagious and they're relatively easily trackable.
I assume they're contagious before they show serious symptoms, maybe before showing any symptoms.

The above guy I mentioned could have spread it to dozens on the train car he was on.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

CODChimera posted:

imagine a...ahh nevermind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Homeless Friend posted:

Long incubation periods while communicable is the worst case scenario because people walk around and spread this poo poo before anyone has any idea they're infectious.

e: source - I've watched both Contagion and Outbreak in the last 36 hours.

e2: For real though, this is a really bad combo.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 26, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Homeless Friend posted:

Great news!

quote:

China’s national health minister Ma Xiaowei said the new coronavirus is also infectious during incubation, which is different from Sars.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

China’s national health minister Ma Xiaowei said the new coronavirus is also infectious during incubation, which is different from Sars.

He said authorities’ knowledge of the new virus was limited and they are unclear on the risks posed by mutations of the virus.

The press conference ended with a promise to live up to “the expectations of the people” and to increase transparency. To that end, they said there would be a press conference every morning.

:rip:

efb

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

this whole disease made me crave chinese food so i ordered some

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao i tempted fate

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

sichuan food owns

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

frantically typing "bat soup" into grubhub right now

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

triple sulk posted:

sichuan food owns

Engraved on my tombstone.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

financial tip: invest in bat soup futures rn because after these last few weeks, the price can only go up uP UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the grave just got 10 feet deeper