Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BguHta6Wo7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I guess nowadays you can measure the success of something by the lengths the mainstream press goes to ignore it. Barely a mention in portuguese papers or tv.

Papers here informed us a year ago the riots had completely died down. Then they let Macron have a platform to soapbox his speech on.

I would not shed a tear if journalists were being shot on the street anymore (well I do because the wrong ones are and will be), the next decade is going to be awesome lol

BioMe has issued a correction as of 17:47 on Dec 25, 2019

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Looks like the Five Star Movement is collapsing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Like a year and a half ago I talked with some folks who voted Five Star in the latest election, and told them: "You're handing the country over to the fascists."

They laughed in my face. "We got the most votes. We're the majority party. The League is a bit player."

Who's laughing now, huh?

(I'm not loving laughing. There is absolutely nothing to laugh about.)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1207666896872456192?s=19

The EU has dashed France's attempt at bringing Airbnb into line with its property and rental regulations.

Im ok with frexit now

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

marg bar eu

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Expropriate all airbnbs

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Too liberal for macron

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

OhFunny posted:

The EU has dashed France's attempt at bringing Airbnb into line with its property and rental regulations.

smash the eu

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

OhFunny posted:

I'm assuming they'll allow the same for Uber, Lyft, WeWork, etc.? :thunk:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Horseshoe theory posted:

No. For Uber, there already is an earlier decision which states that Uber does not provide 'an information society service' (a decision actively gets referenced in the decision at hand, by the way).

"ECJ, C‑434/15, Recital 40 posted:

That intermediation service must thus be regarded as forming an integral part of an overall service whose main component is a transport service and, accordingly, must be classified not as ‘an information society service’ within the meaning of Article 1(2) of Directive 98/34, to which Article 2(a) of Directive 2000/31 refers, but as ‘a service in the field of transport’ within the meaning of Article 2(2)(d) of Directive 2006/123.

Reuters also overstates the scope of the Airbnb decision. Airbnb won, to keep it in journalist lingo, 'on a technicality', because France didn't send prior notice about its measures against Airbnb.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Horseshoe theory posted:

Have you met the EU? XD

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

OhFunny posted:

cool, there goes the neighbourhood

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The EU is some neolib bullshit

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

spankmeister posted:

The EU is some neolib bullshit

:hmmyes:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
the EU is cool and good, very good even. however, the current elected EU representatives are some neolib bullshit indeed

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The basic idea is decent, and if it were with more left-wing oriented representatives could be great and help less developed countries improve and guarantee peace.

But... yeah.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
it has guaranteed peace for the longest period in Europe ever op

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

oliwan posted:

So far. Austerity is fanning the flames of right wingers, though.

I hope I'm wrong about this but I feel it's only gonna get worse.

I will say that I think EU did good at least trying to accept migrants and manage that situation without deploying guns at the borders.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

To clarify, I'm a supporter of the EU. It's just infected with neolib cancer rn.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I think overall I agree that it has done good for the world, I am just skeptical of it's ability to last in a world we seem to be approaching, with climate change and the right wing rise on the horizon.

A lot of that skepticism is rooted in the neolib bullshit, naturally

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

spankmeister posted:

To clarify, I'm a supporter of the EU. It's just infected with neolib cancer rn.

and there is no cure for it either, since the cancer was institutionalized and constitudionylized in the founding loving treaty of the gently caress union. it would literally require a new constitution of methotrexate, written in a union-wide fuckfest convention, and then agreed upon in a new union-wide referendum by every state. and we all know how thats gonna go

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's incredible how hard centrists work at accelerationism these days yeah

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
theres a war cummin, and is gonna be fuckin awesome

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I said this before, but the EU abolished roaming charges so I will support it to the death 🇪🇺

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, I've lived, worked and studied in 5 different EU countries. I was able to move away from the lovely Netherlands without any problem whatsoever. I'm literally what I am because of the EU. thank u 🇪🇺

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

oliwan posted:

That was NATO and the WP.

Also, even if they did (and until 20 years ago the CEE was a good thing) the course they are following now leads only to division and the rise of the hard-right.

Sure, roaming and student mobility, but none of that even begins to compensate the disfunctional economy, the stupid, pig-headed austerity dogma and the neoliberalism ingrained in the treaties or how much tax evasion is encouraged be the institutional structure as it stands. I mean, couple of years ago they wanted to finish with the double Irish arrangement and they gave a 5 year warni g vefore doing it? What was the point of that? Giving evaders time to find new loopholes?

And that's without going into just how ridiculously the eu to particular intererests.

https://lobbyfacts.eu/
https://corporateeurope.org/en

Those should help.

Oh, and if you are going to answer "but America/ others are worse!" Please don't bother. The misery of others doesnt help me or the people I love.

Dawncloack has issued a correction as of 09:56 on Jan 22, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in c-spam arguing whether the eu or nato is responsible for world peace

lemme toss free trade in there too

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

i say swears online posted:

It's trump

I read it on twitter

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

i say swears online posted:

You make a good point, and gently caress more or less trade meaning anything.

Perhaps I should have said that the cold war + european countries being vassals of one or the other big boys is that brought peace.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

in summary...
the eu is a land of contrasts

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

You know, that's an interesting point. Did poo poo like the hidden invasion of Crimea even happen during the Cold War? Obviously, there were proxy wars in non-european locations, and grandstandings like the Cuban Missile Crisis, but has there ever been anything quite like what's happening, y'know, right now?

(also proxy conflicts haven't stopped, they're just less overt than during the cold war)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dex_sda posted:

You know, that's an interesting point. Did poo poo like the hidden invasion of Crimea even happen during the Cold War? Obviously, there were proxy wars in non-european locations, and grandstandings like the Cuban Missile Crisis, but has there ever been anything quite like what's happening, y'know, right now?

(also proxy conflicts haven't stopped, they're just less overt than during the cold war)
Does Czechoslovakia count? It's not really the same as it wasn't particularly hidden and they didn't outright annex the territory of course.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Does Czechoslovakia count? It's not really the same as it wasn't particularly hidden and they didn't outright annex the territory of course.

As you mention, it wasn't hidden, and there were much bigger repercusions when it happened.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
In Portugal the new lead of the Conservative party is the most dweebiest beige portuguese guy you could picture
https://twitter.com/aitorehm/status/1221395381034024960?s=19

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

oliwan posted:

Also, I've lived, worked and studied in 5 different EU countries. I was able to move away from the lovely Netherlands without any problem whatsoever. I'm literally what I am because of the EU. thank u 🇪🇺

When you were partying, I studied the Treaty of Lisbon. When you were having premarital sex, I mastered the Schengen Zone. While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity, I cultivated federal integration. And now that the UK is on fire and the populists are at the gates, you have the audacity to come to me for help?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

In Portugal the new lead of the Conservative party is the most dweebiest beige portuguese guy you could picture

This is one of those cases where I feel bad for the former leader since most of her campaigning was that kind that outright highlighted issues in transportation and tried to be that Dream Candidate the commentariat wanted any time there was an election elsewhere in the world, down to constantly being on their talk shows (And getting outright ignored or shat on for not being gunho hard enough on getting Portugal to get on board with US-style Healthcare and Drug Policy). I remember seeing her pop nearby for somewhat delayed subway roadwork and popping way, way more for stuff on keeping the SNS going or highlighting aid on families than on culture war poo poo.

But now that they have a Culture War dipshit on the lead! A guy that lost on 0.5% on a "NO VENEZUELA!!!!111" ordeal that even alienated returned Venezuelan-Portuguese migrants on a Centre-Right stronghold.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Honest Thief posted:

I can’t wait for the time when him and André Ventura (leader of the far-right Chega and soccer pundit) do the fusion dance and are hailed as Salazar( fascist dictator worshipped by these clowns) reborn.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Can't wait for march for civility lead by them

twoday posted:

When you were partying, I studied the Treaty of Lisbon. When you were having premarital sex, I mastered the Schengen Zone. While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity, I cultivated federal integration. And now that the UK is on fire and the populists are at the gates, you have the audacity to come to me for help?

dicking down erasmus students in your thirties for the EU culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

lol