Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What Suprfli6 said, but also note that you can make that your Kanai's skill slot and it will still double drop the gem in your helmet (if you need to keep it on it for your class set or something). Since you don't need to min-max in the vault, throw in your mainstat gem since you will want 39 flawless royals eventually for Caldesann's Despair.

You can just change gem colors in the cube so it doesn't matter what color gems you get, as long as you get a bunch of the same color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Only nine at a time, mind, so it's still best to stick to the main one you want.

It's good for boosting secondary characters with different main stats, though.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

FFT posted:

Only nine at a time, mind, so it's still best to stick to the main one you want.
It can be nine of any quality gem, though. You could make 9 Royals or Flawless Royals of the wrong color and transmute them if you happened to have enough to do so.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Temporarily broke my character. Created a Crusader and equipped an ancient 2-hand maul, with a gem of ease, and a barb hellfire amulet with legacy of dreams.

Killed Zolton Kulle's T6 constructs using the secondary normal attack, leveled up, and could no longer attack after the game auto assigned a shield requiring skill to my secondary slot. Couldn't reassign skills during a boss fight, and no idea how to perform a normal attack. He wasn't overcoming my regen, so i had to quit the game.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Personally, I'm a fan of the bug where a mob you kill doesn't die, simply becomes untargetable. So it can run around whacking you, but you're powerless to actually do anything about it.
It's mostly a pain in Rifts, where your only real option if you actually want to finish is to find the next level of the Rift.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Oh, and the EU Challenge Rift this week is remarkably piss-easy. I hate Demon Hunters, can't play them well at all, and I finished with about 90 seconds to spare.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

kingturnip posted:

Personally, I'm a fan of the bug where a mob you kill doesn't die, simply becomes untargetable. So it can run around whacking you, but you're powerless to actually do anything about it.
It's mostly a pain in Rifts, where your only real option if you actually want to finish is to find the next level of the Rift.
I haven't had that happen in a while but now that I'm doing hardcore ladder I'm terrified it will.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I just like when you are pleveling someone else on T6 and your lategame build annohilates monsters so fast their sprites stand then half-phased in and motionless because you killed them before they could even spawn and its like, "Yeah... Feels good"

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
anyone know if drops from grift guardians get lower depending on your gem levels or something?

after doing probably ~50+ grifts i never once didn't at least get 1 unique from a grift boss on my WD (first char of season).

however, just leveled up a barb to 70 and threw on some of my leveled gems. i've killed ~10 grift bosses and got a unique... once so far.

will drops improve if i take the gems off or something? i haven't played in 6 years

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

You always get one legendary gem but can't get a spare of one you have access to. Exceptions are you only get Boon of the Hoarder if you've killed Greed before, and that helm gem from the throwback event.

You can get spares of gems if you move them from your stash into another character's bags.

For other rift guardian loot: they drop an approximately fixed number of items, but quality (blue->rare->set/legendary) increases as difficulty goes up, and past GR80 or so you'll see almost all legendary or set loot. That's a different system/table than gems though.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

heffray posted:

You always get one legendary gem but can't get a spare of one you have access to. Exceptions are you only get Boon of the Hoarder if you've killed Greed before, and that helm gem from the throwback event.

You can get spares of gems if you move them from your stash into another character's bags.

For other rift guardian loot: they drop an approximately fixed number of items, but quality (blue->rare->set/legendary) increases as difficulty goes up, and past GR80 or so you'll see almost all legendary or set loot. That's a different system/table than gems though.

ah i think i worded that poorly. I have all the legendary gems already actually.

my question was if having high level gems ( well, 3 lvl 25 ones) on a new character like reduces the rewards from a grift or something? i was getting at least a single unique item drop from every grift boss before on my WD, even on lower grifts (like t3+) but i've gotten all of 1 on this new guy.

I was trying to think of why. anyway it's a little annoying, I can't push as high of grifts as my WD as I didn't get the set reward for this guy. so atm I'm just stacking uniques w/ legacy of dreams for the bonus damage. wish i had the other part of the legacy of nightmare set. seems like a good damage source if you don'ty have the class sets...

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Just level the Legacy of Dreams and you can clear GR45/TX or better with a couple good/useful legendaries and random legendary items in other slots. Barbs usually have a weapon + bracer (or belt) that each give 400% or so damage to a skill: get a complementary pair of these and you should be able to clear pretty well until you have good builds to choose from. Try to get a Band of Might if you're dying too much.

Drop quality generally sucks below T6 or so, maybe you just had a lucky run earlier. If clearing things on your barb is too bad now: level gems for it with your WD, farm DBs to upgrade weapons (and eventually mighty belts if you're looking to whirlwind) with, spend blood shards on the barb, and you can get gear without playing the undergeared character.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

For Barb, make a level 1 Barb and gamble shards on rings and bracers, then cube them.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So question. I just went the game for the first time. I choose Crusader randomly. I got a Darklight at level 31 (Fist of the Heavens casts twice and does 900% damage) that level 31 weapon carried me through act 4 on mania difficulty easily. When it started looking long in the tooth (around level 61) I got ANOTHER Darklight, which carried me through act 5 on Torment 1. My build is kinda a mess because I push for life per second and wrath boosts. So my question is, is Fist of the Heavens (with Darklight) a decent enough attack to keep working my build around? What do I need to focus on to make this work? Can I extract Darklight's ability and use it with another weapon that has more base damage? (I've done like zero crafting stuff in this game). I NEVER use the attack button, instead just using abilities to gain wrath to use Fist of the Heavens is this a terrible strategy for higher Torments?

Tldr: Can I make Fist of the Heavens work for this aftergame stuff, and how?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RodShaft posted:

So question. I just went the game for the first time. I choose Crusader randomly. I got a Darklight at level 31 (Fist of the Heavens casts twice and does 900% damage) that level 31 weapon carried me through act 4 on mania difficulty easily. When it started looking long in the tooth (around level 61) I got ANOTHER Darklight, which carried me through act 5 on Torment 1. My build is kinda a mess because I push for life per second and wrath boosts. So my question is, is Fist of the Heavens (with Darklight) a decent enough attack to keep working my build around? What do I need to focus on to make this work? Can I extract Darklight's ability and use it with another weapon that has more base damage? (I've done like zero crafting stuff in this game). I NEVER use the attack button, instead just using abilities to gain wrath to use Fist of the Heavens is this a terrible strategy for higher Torments?

Tldr: Can I make Fist of the Heavens work for this aftergame stuff, and how?

The Kanai's Cube lets you take the unique passive of most Legendary items and equip the passives. You can equip 3 in total - 1 weapon/offhand, 1 armor, and 1 amulet/ring.

If you haven't gotten the Kanai's Cube, you can find it in Adventure Mode in Act 3. Head to the Ruins of Sescheron waypoint and progress through the area until you reach the Elder Sanctum.

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/game/guide/items/kanais-cube

The "Extract Legendary Power" thing is what you want. You need 1 of each Bounty item, 5 Death's Breaths, and the Legendary item you want to extract the power from.

As for Heaven's Fury, they just added a set revolving around Heaven's Fury / Fiet of Heavens this season, though I don't know how it operates since I didn't play it. Here's some guides though.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/crusader-aegis-of-valor-heavens-fury-build
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/crusader-aegis-of-valor-fist-of-the-heavens-build

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tabletops posted:

ah i think i worded that poorly. I have all the legendary gems already actually.

my question was if having high level gems ( well, 3 lvl 25 ones) on a new character like reduces the rewards from a grift or something? i was getting at least a single unique item drop from every grift boss before on my WD, even on lower grifts (like t3+) but i've gotten all of 1 on this new guy.

I was trying to think of why. anyway it's a little annoying, I can't push as high of grifts as my WD as I didn't get the set reward for this guy. so atm I'm just stacking uniques w/ legacy of dreams for the bonus damage. wish i had the other part of the legacy of nightmare set. seems like a good damage source if you don'ty have the class sets...

Legendary Gems have no effect on loot drops. Difficulty is what affects them, with higher difficulties giving more/better loot. Your Barbarian probably isn't on the same difficulty setting as your Witch Doctor.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Say! I started playing Diablo 3 for the first time at the start of Season 19, and I rolled a Crusader. It's fun-ish. I'm doing an Invoker Thorns build (I've tried Sweep Attack Builds and the Shotgun Crusader build) and it's the one that lets me do Greater Rifts up to the high 80s, and that's without really any ancient or primal items. I've got him up to Paragon 615 so far.

However, it's getting a bit dull. I want to finish the ENTIRE season Journey, and all I really have left are cubing about 23 more legendaries, two more Conquests, and getting 3 gems up to level 70 (I'm already at 45 with them). Is there a class that has less of a "park in the middle of a pack of enemies and stab around you" feel and more of a "whooshing through crowds much quicker" feel? My survivability is alright, but it's very stop-and-start and I'd like something that flows better.

99 CENTS AMIGO fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 25, 2020

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Say! I started playing Diablo 3 for the first time at the start of Season 19, and I rolled a Crusader. It's fun-ish. I'm doing an Invoker Thorns build (I've tried Sweep Attack Builds and the Shotgun Crusader build) and it's the one that lets me do Greater Rifts up to the high 80s, and that's without really any ancient or primal items. I've got him up to Paragon 615 so far.

However, it's getting a bit dull. I want to finish the ENTIRE season Journey, and all I really have left are cubing about 23 more legendaries, two more Conquests, and getting 3 gems up to level 70 (I'm already at 45 with them). Is there a class that has less of a "park in the middle of a pack of enemies and stab around you" feel and more of a "whooshing through crowds much quicker" feel? My survivability is alright, but it's very stop-and-start and I'd like something that flows better.

Whirlwind barbarian, multishot demonhunter and wave of light monk are all superfast explode the screen kinda builds. The most fun and smooth builds to play imo. All of them are worth trying if you haven't before.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The new Tempest Rush Monk set also fits this criteria (and is my current all-time favorite)

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I like LoD blessed shield crusader more than shotgun, and it works well at moderate rifts even with mediocre stuff in several slots. Not as fast/fun as whirlwind barb, though.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

heffray posted:

Just level the Legacy of Dreams and you can clear GR45/TX or better with a couple good/useful legendaries and random legendary items in other slots. Barbs usually have a weapon + bracer (or belt) that each give 400% or so damage to a skill: get a complementary pair of these and you should be able to clear pretty well until you have good builds to choose from. Try to get a Band of Might if you're dying too much.

Drop quality generally sucks below T6 or so, maybe you just had a lucky run earlier. If clearing things on your barb is too bad now: level gems for it with your WD, farm DBs to upgrade weapons (and eventually mighty belts if you're looking to whirlwind) with, spend blood shards on the barb, and you can get gear without playing the undergeared character.

thanks for this info! I ended up settling on a pretty winning combo. using blade of the tribes (found an ancient one), a bunch of legendaries and bracers of man w/ hammer of ancients.

it was really nice, with earthen might i basically have infinite fury. i wish i knew how to carry that into an endgame build but i have no idea really.

i have all of the full sets now i think. I'm messing around with wastes atm because whirlwind is fun.

i'm still using the blade of the tribes (in the cube) effect because i can't give up the infinite fury. it's too nice. I really wanted to use the bul kathos sword set because the movespeed is fantastic but Ambo's pride is way too strong. it seems pretty much required for this to feel good.

any tips or anything for making a shouts + blade of the tribes thing work or is it just not worth it?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/barbarian-leap-earthquake-build-with-might-of-the-earth

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Regarding D3 getting stale with a build, it's par for the course. It's a podcast / tv show game.

Change up characters and builds and play again next season if you feel like you're done.

edit: playing on switch is great because you can take some memorable drops on the shitter

edit2: i should've gone for 'opening a rift' joke

Vic fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 26, 2020

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is that what kids are talking about these days when they talk about streaming?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

So update on my Darklight Crusader. I took the extra Darklight(Fist of Heaven casts twice for 10x damage) and made it an ability. Then threw Burst of Wrath (killing and breaking things has a chance to refill 20% of wrath) as my primary weapon. Added a complete Captain Crimson set (lowers cool down and resource cost by 20%. Damage delt increased by cool down reduction and damage taken lowered by cost reduction)

Other items add to that stuff and grant "shrine effects last 10 minutes", "pylon effects last twice as long" and "shield glare all around (for wrath)

It's a pretty drat good setup so far, I'm again thinking about dropping my primary, but my whole skillset needs reworked since I'm not starving for wrath anymore.

Are there like torment level breaks where there's certain ones that are better for items it just higher=better?

Edit: oh. Where should I dump my Paragon points? Just wait till I have a more finished build?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

RodShaft posted:

So update on my Darklight Crusader. I took the extra Darklight(Fist of Heaven casts twice for 10x damage) and made it an ability. Then threw Burst of Wrath (killing and breaking things has a chance to refill 20% of wrath) as my primary weapon. Added a complete Captain Crimson set (lowers cool down and resource cost by 20%. Damage delt increased by cool down reduction and damage taken lowered by cost reduction)

Other items add to that stuff and grant "shrine effects last 10 minutes", "pylon effects last twice as long" and "shield glare all around (for wrath)

It's a pretty drat good setup so far, I'm again thinking about dropping my primary, but my whole skillset needs reworked since I'm not starving for wrath anymore.

Are there like torment level breaks where there's certain ones that are better for items it just higher=better?

Edit: oh. Where should I dump my Paragon points? Just wait till I have a more finished build?

This was linked above, but should answer most of your questions https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/crusader-aegis-of-valor-heavens-fury-build

There will be a breakpoint later, but don't worry about it for now. When you are comfortably clearing Torment 16 content, you will want to split out a greater rift build.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Paragon points can be reassigned at any time. A fairly standard loadout for your first 200 points if you don't have a reason to do something else is
Run speed until you have 25% total from paragon + gear (you can't get more than that), then mainstat
Whichever of crit chance and crit damage you're currently lacking (you want them to be ~1:10 ratio generally)
Resistance (or whichever of all res/armor/life% gives you the most sheet toughness, but it's probably all res)
Area damage

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
got a demon hunter up and i'm trying various builds

they all feel... clunky? i'm a little surprised honestly. i haven't played in ~6 years but don't remember this game feeling this way. I've played a LOT of PoE in that time and one thing i never thought i'd say was that PoE feels better (in end game play) but it totally does. wow.

anyway, i've tried multishot and am trying impale right now. it's interesting but i guess i don't like the elite hunter playstyle that much. probably another thing I've ingrained from PoE - I want to be able to quickly clear everything on screen and then kill elites or bosses or whatever.

anyway, does monk or wizard have a build that feels a bit better that way?

Another thing i'm dearly missing is the ability to have my mouse1 button not be bound to a skill but to walk. I can probably just change the bind though. i'm constantly hitting poo poo on accident.

edit: you can't change it. gently caress

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What's clunky about MS? Press MS, whole screen dies, dash off to next area. It couldn't be simpler.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

bamhand posted:

What's clunky about MS? Press MS, whole screen dies, dash off to next area. It couldn't be simpler.

it's ok, just the movement and mixing skill use at least on DH. everything just feels a little clunky and slow, i guess. idk! it was especially there w/ impale.

i couldn't get MS damage high enough to clear past t12 comfortably. guess i just don't have the gear for it?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Vault does feel a bit weird. Especially if it's laggy. I actually prefer Smokescreen with the Displacement rune. If you have a complete MS build it should basically one shot everything at T16.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tabletops posted:

it's ok, just the movement and mixing skill use at least on DH. everything just feels a little clunky and slow, i guess. idk! it was especially there w/ impale.

i couldn't get MS damage high enough to clear past t12 comfortably. guess i just don't have the gear for it?

You do not. Check guides, and make sure the rolls are right. You need every point of discipline and now the set uses Captain crimson's with it.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Link your character if you want feedback but DH doesn’t have a lot of clunky or slow builds.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Tabletops posted:

IIRC, Yang's Recurve is the big one that makes it feel way different and much faster because of the huge boost to MS attack speed. Enchanting for +max discipline is also extremely unintuitive but a huge damage boost, and if you got into the habit of vaulting whenever you have spare discipline (because that's what you should do in any other build) then you'll be horribly gutting your damage. Use Vault frequently but keep yourself near max and pop Prep whenever you use vault more than a couple times in a row to refill.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

stuxracer posted:

Link your character if you want feedback but DH doesn’t have a lot of clunky or slow builds.

Can you link switch characters?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

stuxracer posted:

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/duncandun-1679/hero/118243832

i'm playing around on my wd again so my gems aren't equipped. also have the impale thing on.

edit: one of the things i'm having a little trouble figuring out is additive vs. multiplicative bonuses. ie, with the legacy of nightmares bonus: is the 750% increased damage going to be more damage for my minions than say, 50% from theos? is theos multiplicative or additive as well?

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 27, 2020

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Basically if it's a different category then it's multiplicative. Each gem, each legendary unique ability, each skill, etc is its own category.

I think attack speed is the only one where the math doesn't always work out due to frame break points but generally speaking Tasker and Theo is gonna increase your total pet damage by 50%.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Each additional ancient item for LoN/LoD is additive: if you have LoN and 10 ancient items, LoN gives you a 7500% damage bonus (750 * 10), and an 11th would give you a ~10% marginal damage increase.

LoN/LoD are still multiplicative with other damage bonuses, though.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Tabletops posted:

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/duncandun-1679/hero/118243832

i'm playing around on my wd again so my gems aren't equipped. also have the impale thing on.

edit: one of the things i'm having a little trouble figuring out is additive vs. multiplicative bonuses. ie, with the legacy of nightmares bonus: is the 750% increased damage going to be more damage for my minions than say, 50% from theos? is theos multiplicative or additive as well?
I can’t see stats on mobile for some reason but a few items.

Cube:
Prides Fall doesn’t help a build that has almost always free abilities. Use Aquilas for dmg reduction.
Weapon should be Dawn. Vengeance 100% uptime is good.
No ring in cube but it should be RORG or use the set shoulders. You’re missing a 75000% dmg bonus.

Your vault rune will slow you down. RCR on it doesn’t matter with your belt making them free.

If you equip RORG or use in cube you can also swap in some other items that increase dmg done and reduce dmg taken. Look at this as an example https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/demon-hunter-shadow-impale-build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
I think I only held down RMB for this weeks challenge rift. Is this really what barbarian life is like. Have I been missing out on the easiest of easy modes?