Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Endman posted:

If you can't hack super neat edge highlights, just do what I do and be consistently messy:

It's a Locust!

Alternatively, you can just say you were going for a desert camouflage, and knock everyone's socks off. It looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I got given a box of the Necromunda Cawdor Gang and I'm planning out a color scheme for them. I was thinking of doing a yellow as their primary color but I've never used much yellow before. I remember it being a really tricky color back in the day does anyone have any suggestions for how best to do this? One that I found online was to either paint yellow over a pink base coat or to shade yellow with a pink wash, does anyone have any experience with this?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Finished up this angry fella:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

R0ckfish posted:

The water finally dried on this broodlord:

This owns, really dig the skin tone. Is that just Carroburg crimson over Rakarth flesh or something? Has a subtle brown-ish tint to it that really pulls it together.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This owns, really dig the skin tone. Is that just Carroburg crimson over Rakarth flesh or something? Has a subtle brown-ish tint to it that really pulls it together.

Its thinned carroburg over ushabti bone, thanks!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I've done 'regular' plastic and metal minis - did my first mini made of resin and, um, are all all like this? I wasn't prepared for how much cleaning up it needed and how extremely delicate/brittle it was compared to others.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Resin can be really hit and miss, but IMO metal is worse to paint. Some resin is basically the same as plastic. So probably a bad one there.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dienes posted:

I've done 'regular' plastic and metal minis - did my first mini made of resin and, um, are all all like this? I wasn't prepared for how much cleaning up it needed and how extremely delicate/brittle it was compared to others.

Yeah, there's a reason people hate resin. It's easily the biggest pain in the rear end of the common miniature materials to model; resin sculpts often look great, but GW-style plastics are also incredibly detailed, more durable, and don't have as many manufacturing defects.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I'll take resin over metal any day.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i've picked up a partly painted model of the old fat genestealer patriarch from rogue trader days.
whats the best way to strip the paint off this thing without damaging it?

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 26, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Communist Thoughts posted:

i've picked up a partly painted model of the old fat genestealer patriarch from rogue trader days.

Soak it in a bowl of simple green for a few days, scrubbing it with an old toothbrush once a day

If its metal you could probably use like acetone or turpentine and it'll go faster but simple green works too and is safer

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any hobby people in nyc know where I can get Vallejo metal color duralumin and steel, or the metal color line in general? Amazon has them at a big markup, and miniatures market is out of stock.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Simple green / purple power followed by isopropyl alcohol (at least 95%, preferably 97% if you can find it) has served me well for stripping old metal stuff. Heard it's fine for plastics too but I've never tried. Scrub it down afterwards with a firm toothbrush and you'll get 99% of the paint off except for stuff trapped in the deepest crevices. Once in a while I'll run into some weird enamel paint or something that just doesn't want to come off no matter what, but it always ends up thin enough that you can prime over it without any issues.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Simple green / purple power followed by isopropyl alcohol (at least 95%, preferably 97% if you can find it) has served me well for stripping old metal stuff. Heard it's fine for plastics too but I've never tried. Scrub it down afterwards with a firm toothbrush and you'll get 99% of the paint off except for stuff trapped in the deepest crevices. Once in a while I'll run into some weird enamel paint or something that just doesn't want to come off no matter what, but it always ends up thin enough that you can prime over it without any issues.

If it's metal you can skip all the intermediate steps and dunk it in acetone.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

unfortunately, some of GW's best sculpts are metal only, Kasrkin for example are my favorite IG models by far and the old metal Daemon Prince that came out in 4th or 5th edition was just perfect, the metal bloodletters with goat heads looked great too despite being less dynamic than the newer ones

every metal model I painted back in the day would have corners bared of paint because the primer just never adhered well enough

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 26, 2020

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
My Maleceptor has finished drying, they are a big brain fella.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

R0ckfish posted:

Holy smokes that looks good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Yeah, there's a reason people hate resin. It's easily the biggest pain in the rear end of the common miniature materials to model; resin sculpts often look great, but GW-style plastics are also incredibly detailed, more durable, and don't have as many manufacturing defects.

I think maybe the biggest reason people hate resin is because the resin they're most likely to deal with is finecast, which is legit garbage. There's plenty of resin out there with extremely high quality casts that are great to work with, although requiring super glue rather then plastic cement means it'll never go together quite as easily as plastic.

But yeah, the barrier to entry for resin casting is something like "a few hundred dollars and a garage" so the range of quality is extremely wide between maker to maker.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thanks for the paint stripping advice guys and gals, is there a way I can stop paint coming off of the metal model for when I'm painting it?

also sorry if this is the wrong thread for it, but does anyone know where I can get a good warhams scale model of a butcher?
the closest i can find is this guy https://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/warmachine/malifaux/the-guild/butcher

my GF got me some genestealer cultists and I'm making them up to be unionised slaughterhouse workers

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

deadking posted:

I got given a box of the Necromunda Cawdor Gang and I'm planning out a color scheme for them. I was thinking of doing a yellow as their primary color but I've never used much yellow before. I remember it being a really tricky color back in the day does anyone have any suggestions for how best to do this? One that I found online was to either paint yellow over a pink base coat or to shade yellow with a pink wash, does anyone have any experience with this?

Basecoat pink orange or brown (or whatever) depending on the warmth/coolness you want for the yellow. Then thin a yellow paint with yellow ink and do a few layers till its where you want it. You could also underpaint the full shade range with those stronger tones and glaze with yellow for a broader range of value.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

R0ckfish posted:

Simple, but ruthlessly clean and effectively executed. He looks great.

Do you use water effects often? Do you have a recommendation or know a good primer for using it?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Simple, but ruthlessly clean and effectively executed. He looks great.

Do you use water effects often? Do you have a recommendation or know a good primer for using it?

I use vallejo still water and it is fairly simple, my big suggestion is that if you want dynamic water while being lazy is to sculpt it into the river bed with sculptamold or something similar. Once the water effects are on, it looks deeper then it is while having ripples and such. The other thing is to use a dam at the edges of the water for the main pour, then later on dab a bit on with a spatula like tool to the water on the dam without everything flowing out. One last thing, always do the water before grass or anything or you will regret it. :v:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

R0ckfish posted:

I use vallejo still water and it is fairly simple, my big suggestion is that if you want dynamic water while being lazy is to sculpt it into the river bed with sculptamold or something similar. Once the water effects are on, it looks deeper then it is while having ripples and such. The other thing is to use a dam at the edges of the water for the main pour, then later on dab a bit on with a spatula like tool to the water on the dam without everything flowing out. One last thing, always do the water before grass or anything or you will regret it. :v:

Thanks! Does it take color well? If I wanted it to have a dirty or sickly green tint to it, would you mix it with a color or just paint the stream floor that way?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

also sorry if this is the wrong thread for it, but does anyone know where I can get a good warhams scale model of a butcher?
the closest i can find is this guy https://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/warmachine/malifaux/the-guild/butcher

It will take conversion, but this Chaos Cultist w heavy stubber might be a good start:

There's also a whole guildball team of butchers IIRC, but I can't vouch for the figures.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Thanks! Does it take color well? If I wanted it to have a dirty or sickly green tint to it, would you mix it with a color or just paint the stream floor that way?

Mixing it with very very little paint works fine to tint it. It literally takes like a drop or two depending on how much water effect you’re using.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

thanks for the paint stripping advice guys and gals, is there a way I can stop paint coming off of the metal model for when I'm painting it?

my GF got me some genestealer cultists and I'm making them up to be unionised slaughterhouse workers

Theres the "junior" model in the wargames foundry "street violence" range ("The Family" pack, if this doesnt link correctly). Warning, in this link there is also a NSFW miniature ("Ma Viscera") https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/street-violence/products/sv025-the-family

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

This might work

https://www.nobleknight.com/P/2147684411/Butcher
https://www.aenorminiatures.com/en/shop/butcher

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

How much space do you need for an airbrush? I have a small desk and apartment, and I’m wondering if I should wait until I have more space available to get one.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

How much space do you need for an airbrush? I have a small desk and apartment, and I’m wondering if I should wait until I have more space available to get one.

Not much, I have a small apartment and use my airbrush on the balcony in summer, and near the open window when otherwise and I have no complaints.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

For some dumb reason I've mostly painted finished models that were fully assembled. For some models its fine, but for some I've no doubt made things harder for myself that way.

I did a lot of work on painting Kaptin Badrukk tonight, and I'm doing sub-assembly painting for the first time since he's an important model for my team. He's only got a head and bosspole so there's not even much sub-assembly, but just having the head super-glued to a toothpick makes it pretty easy to work on the head by itself, and painting the body with no head is way easier.

Part of the issue is I'm usually rushing to get models table-worthy so I can play, and then trying to improve the details later, so that usually means fully assembling them. But now I only rarely play so I feel less pressured to rush to assemble everything.

Need to wrap up the Kaptin but I have a feeling this is gonna be my best paint job yet! :)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I just put together the techmarine gunner for the Thunderfire Cannon.

I did not do subassemblies. I am soon to be full of regret and woe.

Don't be like me, people. Be like Zaphod. Do subassemblies.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I basecoated a Novamarine and did sub-assemblies for the first time because I thought it would help me paint that quartered color scheme, which it totally did.

So yeah, be like Zaphod.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

My name is inscrutable horse, and I didn't do a sub-assembly. That's why my St. Celestine model is now awaiting a strip-dip, because I can't reach all the necessary places to paint what I had planned.

Be like Zaphod.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I always feel weird for doing sub assemblies since I keep seeing people painting models fully assembled and just balk at that idea. Granted I probably go overboard with mine because I'd hate knowing there are parts I wasn't able to paint and if you look at a very precise angle you'd be able to see grey plastic or primer.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I don't do sub assemblies because I don't get around to painting stuff until years after I bought and built it

No shame club

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
... the right tool for the job

When doing my Howling Griffons I use assemblies because the hard part is all masking.

When doing Beastmen ... gently caress it. They are dirty-assed savages. Who cares!?

Think about the model:
* What is going to be the hard part?
* How much is using assemblies going to cost you in time?

That's all I do.

Edit: I also don't play the game, so there is no rush to get dudes standing up.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 27, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

I always feel weird for doing sub assemblies since I keep seeing people painting models fully assembled and just balk at that idea. Granted I probably go overboard with mine because I'd hate knowing there are parts I wasn't able to paint and if you look at a very precise angle you'd be able to see grey plastic or primer.
im certain this is half the reason people prime black

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm a degenerate who pipettes brown wash into places the brush doesn't go that isn't usually viewable. Just looks like a shadow. Usually.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

jesus WEP posted:

Not wrong to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

jesus WEP posted:

Guilty