Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Rogan apologists will say his transphobic comments have been for transgender people’s own safety but that’s dumb and incorrect.

And this is not a nuanced discussion of Fallon, it’s an anti-trans rant complete with antiquated stereotypes about women’s work.

quote:

If you want to be a woman in the bedroom and you know you want to play house and all of that other poo poo and you feel like you have, your body is really a woman's body trapped inside a man's frame and so you got a operation, that's all good in the hood. But you can't fight chicks. Get the gently caress out of here. You're out of your mind. You need to fight men, you know? Period. You need to fight men your size because you're a man. You're a man without a dick.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/mikepompeo/status/1221427227885285376?s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

These guys really do lose their god damned minds when women talk back to them.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

... So, him?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Eej posted:

I didn't realize the accusations of Joe Rogan being a transphobe boil down to him opposing transwomen like Fallon Fox from hopping into the ring with their opponent not knowing they're a transwoman and proceeding to crack open the skulls of two women before retiring.

There shouldn't be women's and men's MMA, there should only be weight classes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SimonCat posted:

There shouldn't be women's and men's MMA, there should only be weight classes.

gently caress weight class. Two persons enter, one person leaves.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

gently caress weight class. Two persons enter, one person leaves.

ngl I found the original UFC of like 150lb Gracie vs like 220 lb Samoans and poo poo a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Rogan apologists will say his transphobic comments have been for transgender people’s own safety but that’s dumb and incorrect.

And this is not a nuanced discussion of Fallon, it’s an anti-trans rant complete with antiquated stereotypes about women’s work.

Joe sucks and the only time I listen to him is when he interviews fighters as he's got a fantastic knowledge of all things MMA. He's got a lot of lovely views and platforms nazis but this like trans-comment is imo kind of dumb. He's being crass, unsympathetic and saying poorly but he has a point.

I support trans rights, but when it comes to athletics, especially MMA or physical/contact sports there's a huge difference between a man and a women or male/female or whatever term we want to use. I ran a 10.53 100m in high school which is fast but in no way especially impressive as far as track times go (I didn't even qualify for state and rarely competed for my school. It was a requirement all athletes did a year of track). The womens world record is 10.49 and Olympic record is 10.69. I, a 17 year old boy who ran track for 6 months was faster than female Olympic sprinters. Gold in Rio in 2016 was something like 10.70/1. Go look at any measurable athletic statistic and you'll see a similar chasm. The women's Olympic soccer team who destroyed china in the world cup lost a tune up game 5-2 to an under 15 boys soccer team.

I really don't want to be probated/attacked over this and I think there's some nuanced discussion that needs to occur of which i am incredibly uneducated and unaware of the issues in this space, but I'm a former (now fat and old) high level athlete and when we start moving to D1, Olympic, World Class level athletes past high school there are realities that need to be considered.

e:

That Works posted:

ngl I found the original UFC of like 150lb Gracie vs like 220 lb Samoans and poo poo a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

ADCC would be of general interest to you, specifically the absolute division which is the premier grappling medal in the world which has no weight division. There is a good split between good and small guys, Marcelo Garcia won like 4 or 5 times, he's like 5'5 140/150ish but recently in the last maybe 6 years its all been heavy weights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QqsFcB6Y3w skip to 2:10 for the action

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 26, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I really don't want to be probated/attacked over this and I think there's some nuanced discussion that needs to occur of which i am incredibly uneducated and unaware of the issues in this space, but I'm a former (now fat and old) high level athlete and when we start moving to D1, Olympic, World Class level athletes past high school there are realities that need to be considered.

And those nuanced discussions are not new for the governing bodies of athletics that matter, with testing for hormone levels and such dating back to the 60s. The problem is that most of the "discussion" going on in popular media today is making GBS threads on trans kids just trying to participate on a level where who wins doesn't even matter.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Personally, I think it is sexist to make women compete in their own divisions instead of allowing them to compete with men. What kind if medieval paternalistic bullshit is that? They're every bit as good as men are at everything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

Personally, I think it is sexist to make women compete in their own divisions instead of allowing them to compete with men. What kind if medieval paternalistic bullshit is that? They're every bit as good as men are at everything.

:rolleyes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I can 100% understand how someone heavily involved with sports at a professional level would be concerned about trans women competing. Testosterone in the form of steroids is a performance enhancing drug that a lot of competitors have gotten in trouble for using during training and is a clear advantage. It would serve to reason then that a trans woman would have all the advantages of having trained for years with all that extra testosterone right?

Except it’s completely wrong and HRT wipes out any advantage a trans woman would’ve had.
(Also weight classes would surely make muscle gain kinda moot?)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 26, 2020

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFckWw8xHCo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i am ignorant of medical realities, but i know that among cis men who lift, use testosterone, and talk about it online, it is considered an accepted fact that a long period of training with increased test has benefits long after you stop taking it.

that said, i don't care about sports being fair, and i know that these kinds of discussions get used as a stalking horse for bigotry, so obviously the fair solution is to stop drug-testing fighters :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

i am ignorant of medical realities, but i know that among cis men who lift, use testosterone, and talk about it online, it is considered an accepted fact that a long period of training with increased test has benefits long after you stop taking it.

that said, i don't care about sports being fair, and i know that these kinds of discussions get used as a stalking horse for bigotry, so obviously the fair solution is to stop drug-testing fighters :v:

Those cis-men aren’t taking antiandrogens though.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Oh boy Joe rogan and trans-athlete chat. That coronavirus can't come quickly enough

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Here's an endocrinologist weighing in on things. Also, apparently Fox's opponents were not told that Fox is a transwoman, which I feel is wrong and takes informed consent away from the women who faced her in the ring.

https://www.theverge.com/2013/3/21/4131174/fallon-fox-mma-science-transgender-fighting-athletes

The Verge posted:

Dr. Ramona Krtuzick, an endocrinologist well versed in the finer points of hormone therapies, says that because Fox started her treatment so late in life, it's unlikely her skeleton and musculature would change significantly. As Krutzick told Bloody Elbow:

"Typically, you're looking at about 15 years after androgen suppression and sexual reassignment surgery to really start to see significant changes in bone density. It's been too early for her to see much of a decrease in bone mass or to make her equal to that of a female. She started off with a much higher bone density than other women her same age, and therefore will maintain a lot of that for a while. Additionally, because she is taking estrogen, that will actually help to maintain that bone mass. Women also have lighter, child bearing hips because of the difference in hormones during the body's developmental years. Her skeleton and body mass and shape developed a long time ago. Those changes cannot be undone. They are permanent.

Her testosterone levels are more than likely in the normal female range, since her adrenals are the primary source for it now. She didn't undergo hormone therapy and surgery until she was fully developed, as compared to someone who completes therapy and surgery in their adolescence or very early adulthood, when they haven't completely developed. She has the potential to be significantly stronger because her muscle development reached several years beyond full maturity, giving her the potential to be significantly stronger than other age matched women.There's not really a way to determine how much her muscle mass will decrease over time. What can be said is that she has a naturally higher propensity to build and maintain muscle mass because she was once a fully developed, adult male. You can't ever take that away from her."

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Things get a lot more complicated when you realize even biological sex is a spectrum, in part because even nominally standard XY males will have both different levels of natural hormones and different levels of response to hormones.

There was a minor hullabaloo over a woman sprinter who suffered a lot of transphobic criticism even though she was a cisfemale, because she had a stronger than average response to her natural testosterone production.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wish all these people cared about hormones when I was playing basketball in middle school. Playing in the 6th grade against fuckers with a foot on your tallest player rocking a beard.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That Works posted:

MMA was better before people realized, you really did have to have a mix of wrestling, submission grappling, and kickboxing instead of relying on one style.

edit: As a current wrestlemans and former "get punched/kicked in the head for the entertainment of others" guy, professional fighting is boring.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 26, 2020

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Waroduce posted:

Joe sucks and the only time I listen to him is when he interviews fighters as he's got a fantastic knowledge of all things MMA. He's got a lot of lovely views and platforms nazis but this like trans-comment is imo kind of dumb. He's being crass, unsympathetic and saying poorly but he has a point.

I support trans rights, but when it comes to athletics, especially MMA or physical/contact sports there's a huge difference between a man and a women or male/female or whatever term we want to use. I ran a 10.53 100m in high school which is fast but in no way especially impressive as far as track times go (I didn't even qualify for state and rarely competed for my school. It was a requirement all athletes did a year of track). The womens world record is 10.49 and Olympic record is 10.69. I, a 17 year old boy who ran track for 6 months was faster than female Olympic sprinters. Gold in Rio in 2016 was something like 10.70/1. Go look at any measurable athletic statistic and you'll see a similar chasm. The women's Olympic soccer team who destroyed china in the world cup lost a tune up game 5-2 to an under 15 boys soccer team.

I really don't want to be probated/attacked over this and I think there's some nuanced discussion that needs to occur of which i am incredibly uneducated and unaware of the issues in this space, but I'm a former (now fat and old) high level athlete and when we start moving to D1, Olympic, World Class level athletes past high school there are realities that need to

You genuinely believe USWNT went full attack on a bunch of kids and lost the game? Get the gently caress out of here you dork.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

bloops posted:

You genuinely believe USWNT went full attack on a bunch of kids and lost the game? Get the gently caress out of here you dork.

Seriously. What the gently caress, man. Did I just enter bizarro-GiP?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Everyone was saying it was unfair for Fallon Fox to compete and that she had massive advantages then she never broke into the elite level and no one noticed, cared, or changed their argument.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I also make sure to dominate the poo poo out of any snotnosed child who dares step on the field of play. Didn't want to get concussed? Shouldn't have stepped up, bitch.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
"Having a nuanced discussion" on a topic you may be unintentionally ignorant on was perfectly fine like 10 years ago. Hell, I didn't know squat on the issue myself and had some uninformed opinions on the matter back when it came up in the MMA field (and it came up well before Joe Rogan ever broadcasted his opinion on Fallon Fox).

But now it's 2020...all medical/scientific/expert positions you would ever need from people that know what they're talking about has been out and readily available for a long while now. There's no real reason to start the same "nuanced discussion" from scratch again, and with the same factual basis that the 2011/2012-era BloodyElbow had, no less.

I'm not implying malice in the people that genuinely don't know about this and want to have a discussion on it to educate themselves. Seeking more information on the issue is good.
I'm saying "the leg work has already been done by people that matter and deserve to have their standpoint serve to educate you, and then come back and have a discussion".

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

bloops posted:

Yes, it's true.
The physiological difference between fully grown post pubertal adult men and women in athletic performance is vast. In muscle mass, bone density and the associated peak upper body strength and anaerobic burst capacity.
It makes a huge difference, and is what allows these regional boys high school teams to simply outmuscle the far more technical National Women's teams.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/sports/olympics/25whockey.html

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They said they didn’t but those “boys” are monsters next to the women’s team in the photos.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Is there a good introductory book or summary work? A person who's interest is piqued in a highly contentious subject doesn't have the ability to discern what will be a reasonable introduction until they've consumed that and many other introductions.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mr Crustacean posted:

Yes, it's true.
The physiological difference between fully grown post pubertal adult men and women in athletic performance is vast. In muscle mass, bone density and the associated peak upper body strength and anaerobic burst capacity.
It makes a huge difference, and is what allows these regional boys high school teams to simply outmuscle the far more technical National Women's teams.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

Again, I’m simply stating USWNT was not playing full attack, so to draw any conclusions from this is flawed. Would they have still lost? I don’t know or don’t give a poo poo. They play other women’s teams and whoop on them.

Quit talking from a purely technical biotruths level and use your head. You all sound like a bunch of communication-challenged engineers.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Mr Crustacean posted:

Yes, it's true.

Is this post sarcasm? I honestly can't tell anymore.

I can't read the NYT article but the first one literally says they weren't going all out and they were just having some fun practicing some specific technical stuff. What is even happening right now?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Speaking of sports, Kobe Bryant is dead.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Edgar posted:

Did he try to rape the helicopter?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Kobe just died in a helicopter crash

https://myfox8.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-dies-in-helicopter-crash-tmz-reports/

Efb but with link

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Edgar posted:

poo poo I thought you were talking about his record but nope he died in helicopter crash.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
RIP nba legend rapist.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

bloops posted:

Again, I’m simply stating USWNT was not playing full attack, so to draw any conclusions from this is flawed. Would they have still lost? I don’t know or don’t give a poo poo. They play other women’s teams and whoop on them.

Quit talking from a purely technical biotruths level and use your head. You all sound like a bunch of communication-challenged engineers.

Pro athletes are very well known for going soft on opponents because they dont have a hypercompetitive drive that makes them drat near sociopathic when it comes to competition.

Edgar posted:

If he had gone full attack on the helicopter he wouldn't have died.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Did he try to rape the helicopter?

Just cuz the copter was drunk, doesnt mean it cant consent! It wanted it! Kobe could have any helicopter in the world and he chose that one!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I literally two hours ago watched a YouTube clip about comedians dunking on interviewers that asked them dumb questions, and there was a bit where Bill Burr said something like he was comfortable with his only plan for Boston to get good was to wait for Kobe to die

:stare:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

No one ever cares about the helicopter pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Pro athletes are very well known for going soft on opponents because they dont have a hypercompetitive drive that makes them drat near sociopathic when it comes to competition.

If he had gone full attack on the helicopter he wouldn't have died.

Are you shitposting for a reason?

SimonCat posted:

No one ever cares about the helicopter pilot.

I do :ohdear: