Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shrecknet posted:

Ginger Snaps owns because I think its the only werewolf movie to finally explicitly tie lycanthropy to both puberty and menstruation.

See, that's exactly why I don't like it. It treats female sexuality as a terrifying curse that the innocent younger sister has to kill her older sister to exorcise. It's the exact same thing Bram Stoker does with Lucy and Mina in Dracula, except now people think it's feminist for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

T Bowl posted:

The guy who loves Zombie's Halloween movies should listen to In Myers We Trust episodes 11 and 12... Heh.

Yeah, they are very harsh on them, while still very complimentary towards my favorite parts (Sheriff Bracket, Danielle Harris as Annie)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

See, that's exactly why I don't like it. It treats female sexuality as a terrifying curse that the innocent younger sister has to kill her older sister to exorcise. It's the exact same thing Bram Stoker does with Lucy and Mina in Dracula, except now people think it's feminist for some reason.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Ginger Snaps owns because I think its the only werewolf movie to finally explicitly tie lycanthropy to both puberty and menstruation.

The Company of Wolves is a movie that makes analogies between puberty and werewolves but it doesn't say that becoming a wolf is bad like Ginger Snaps does.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
"Horror fans" who don't care for the Zombie Halloween movies have no inner child, and are likely impotent.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ginger Snaps was written by a woman, so I imagine the idea of menstruation being a horrible curse was a feature and not a bug.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So the new Brandon Cronenberg joint sounds like a hell of a time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I got the Antiviral bluray and theres an interview with him on it and he is most disaffected boondock saints and pulp fiction dorm room movie poster film student ever.

Everyone else on the featurette is working so hard to not say "he only got this movie becaise of his last name" and its pure cringe.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Color Out Of Space was great!

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Shrecknet posted:

i FINALLY saw ginger snaps recently and liked it a lot (also was that the girl who played bev in 1990 it??) - are the sequels as good or worth watching?

going to to be at the mall tomorrow so i figure ill see the turning even though im sure it's as boring as everyone says because it's all that's playing and there is a horse in the trailer. the second season of hill house is going off the same book isn't it?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Also watching Dust Devil last night then Color Out of Space today was pretty cool. Some neat similarities in the storytelling.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Color out of Space was really good. It was definitely I feel only hampered by budget.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shrecknet posted:

I got the Antiviral bluray and theres an interview with him on it and he is most disaffected boondock saints and pulp fiction dorm room movie poster film student ever.

Everyone else on the featurette is working so hard to not say "he only got this movie becaise of his last name" and its pure cringe.

Weird cause it’s a good movie

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"Horror stories that have themes of how difficult and scary female puberty can be are dumb and gross and probably all written by dumb and gross men and never women exploring their own complex feelings and experiences in unique ways, also women who relate to these kinds of stories are idiots."
-As said by a woman written by a man

At least Garth Ennis knows what he's talking about when he says writers suck

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Alhazred posted:

The Company of Wolves is a movie that makes analogies between puberty and werewolves but it doesn't say that becoming a wolf is bad like Ginger Snaps does.

Much like the classic gangster movie, in which all the bad guys are either shot or hanged (or blown up) by the end, because they have to be, because they are very naughty boys, the reason we go to werewolf movies is because we actually want to see the very naughty wolves doing very naughty things.

The pun title is a dead giveaway. Ginger isn't being "turned." She just "snaps." The film is not about puberty. It's part of the superficial content, and a thematic device of the narrative, but the narrative itself is not analogizing puberty to turning into a werewolf. It's analogizing mental illness to the myths and legends of the werewolf, which makes sense because that's a pretty popular historical theory about the non-exclusive origins of werewolf like myths.

The point is not, "female puberty turns innocent little girls into brides of satan"... anymore than, like, "Goth / industrial is a red flag for a school shooter." I'd argue that the case is clearly the opposite, that the film's very aesthetic is romanticizing the perceived trauma coming from these devices, that it's wallowing in a Faberge of 'wild youth' behavior; not representing any of these individual things, in the abstract, as inherently significant or connotative of some terrible essence.

I see Aaron Sorkin is in comics, now.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Steve Dillon is drawing three faces for all his characters in heaven now :angel:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not sure I see Ginger Snaps as telling me that puberty/lycanthropy turned Ginger into a monster. When we meet Ginger at the start of the film she's already dark, withdrawn, obsessed with violence and death, and plotting a suicide pact with her sister. Ginger wasn't an average, stable teenage girl. Yeah, the puberty thing is obviously all written into the film's dna but it kinda feels like a red herring to me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Color out of Space was really good. It was definitely I feel only hampered by budget.

Yeah the cg is a bit bumpy but overall I think it’s a fun time. Definitely a good adaptation. The festival I saw it at was running a NC17 cut of Hardware right before it, I’m bummed I missed out on that.

edit: The trump voice was a little weird but shine on you crazy diamond

edit2: Amateur Farmer/Bourbon Connoisseur

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 27, 2020

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

enjoyed Underwater quite a lot. could have used a bit of pacing, but I appreciated how much of a rollercoaster it was - just wish the characters got a little bit more time to breathe!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

That weird all CG episode of Love, Death and Robots with the werewolf soldiers was pretty cool until the end. Werewolves are a hard sell. I can't think of a werewolf movie other than An American Werewolf in Paris that is actually good. I have not seen Ginger Snaps. Is it on any streaming service?

Fake edit: Teen Wolf slaps and is a werewolf movie. Also that urban legend that an extra has his dick out at the end of the movie in the background.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Untrustable posted:

That weird all CG episode of Love, Death and Robots with the werewolf soldiers was pretty cool until the end. Werewolves are a hard sell. I can't think of a werewolf movie other than An American Werewolf in Paris that is actually good. I have not seen Ginger Snaps. Is it on any streaming service?

Fake edit: Teen Wolf slaps and is a werewolf movie. Also that urban legend that an extra has his dick out at the end of the movie in the background.
extremely triggered

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

extremely triggered

I just assumed it was a typo.

Really though, as much as I hate John Landis, An American Werewolf in London is truly the GOAT.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked COOS a lot but it seems pretty reckless for someone to publish a paperback edition of the Necronomicon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You're not allowed to make a Lovecraft adaptation without a copy of an eldritch tome lying around and someone wearing a Miskatonic U sweatshirt. Chaosium will send wizards to kill you.

There are actually several paperbacks purporting to be the Necronomicon, but they all suck.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
“Well Mom’s sick, better grab this book that makes my soul itch and pulls at the very threads of my sanity, walk out into the woods and fire a few spooky spells off.”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've only seen the first episode so far, but the new season of Sabrina on Netflix is teasing the return of "The Old Ones", so I'm hoping they're gonna do a Lovecraft storyline.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

I've only seen the first episode so far, but the new season of Sabrina on Netflix is teasing the return of "The Old Ones", so I'm hoping they're gonna do a Lovecraft storyline.

Can't wait for Cthulhu to be played by a 29 year old skinny white guy with his shirt off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Can't wait for Cthulhu to be played by a 29 year old skinny white guy with his shirt off.

Hell yea

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lurdiak posted:

this but unironically

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That's how I've always pictured Cthulhu. Not white tho

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Cthulhu? More like SWOLElhu

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

I’d have no problem with this

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
lol if you think mancthulhu is gonna be skinny, he's swole af smdh

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lurdiak posted:

This but it's a different shirtless built dude every scene so as to emphasize Cthulhu's otherworldly nature.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i will play cthulu

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This discussion got me imagining The Rock as Cthulhu and at the risk of sounding trite, YUMMERS

e: imagine Cthulhu singing "You're Welcome"

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Everyone saying Cage was doing a Trump voice in COOS clearly have forgotten Vampires Kiss. He brought back the voice from that amazing movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drunkboxer posted:

I liked COOS a lot but it seems pretty reckless for someone to publish a paperback edition of the Necronomicon.

https://www.amazon.com/Necronomicon-Simon/dp/0380751925

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

:cthulhu: I am the concept of buff shirtless dudes and I'm going to annihilate you.

A stunned humanity: Okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I was googling around and was this the actual book they used as a prop? Seems weird to use that in a mythos movie.