Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Picard "If you come across crew members who have already been assimilated, do not hesitate to shoot them. Believe me, you'll be doing them a favour."

That's rich coming from a man who was assimilated and lived to be dessimilated!

Deanna taking a shot has me cracking up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVUIR4v_gE&t=66s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Move Along Home isn't even the third worst DS9 season 1 episode.

It is in fact the third best DS9 season 1 episode.

THIRD SHAP

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It did a good job characterizing the personalities of some of the main characters, and was a good intro to "this wormhole has opened and all these weird-rear end aliens are coming through and we need to be nice to them" without resorting to "the weird-rear end aliens are SUPER EVIL" just yet.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pyrotek posted:

Assuming you haven't already used your free week trial, if you subscribe now with the code JANUARY (good through tomorrow), you'll get the free trial week and then a free month, and the rest of the series will be done in the next month, so you could watch the whole series as it airs and be able to participate in the discussions as they happen for $6 or $10 depending on whether or not you can stand commercials.

Of course, that isn't quite as cheap as waiting for the last week the show is airing and binging the whole thing.

Eh, still fair - ten bucks for the season and a chance to check out the new Twilight Zone. Thanks for the tip.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think my favourite visual in all of Trek is the Lighting Circle thing above Borg nap cubbies. I really hope they keep that in Picard. I can't think of any other media to have invoked that same thing, it's instantly recognizable as Trek.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Khanstant posted:

I think my favourite visual in all of Trek is the Lighting Circle thing above Borg nap cubbies. I really hope they keep that in Picard. I can't think of any other media to have invoked that same thing, it's instantly recognizable as Trek.

you too can be the proud owner of a borg lightning circle thing

https://www.amazon.ca/Iuhan-Lightin...80064025&sr=8-1

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Khanstant posted:

Unlike this thing that shows up all over the place

https://youtu.be/BmJRqZEG4rs

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The Bloop posted:

and re-used in a number of other cheap sci-fi productions of the time, including in the excellent low budget movie Trancers here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB6VdGNsJtw&t=797s

that grating on the walls also looks like the exact same one used in TNG/DS9

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hahaha, I want to know who made that. Device to hold two fluorescent lights, very science, very fiction. I love it, like a wilhelm screen but for goofy props.

Cheyenne Jackson looks so much like JJ Kirk in this movie.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

I think I saw those things in the old Buck Rogers TV show.

I remember thinking that the first time they showed up on TNG.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God the baseball card episode is so good. I was lollin the whole time.

I think my favorite bit this time was cocksure Jake leaned up against a wall telling Kai Winn "We need to talk"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is it wrong that I'm hoping Data and the Borg Bae bang it out? An adorable little baby data-borg is born and there could be a whole series about trying to raise that little rascal to be a good kid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Khanstant posted:

Hahaha, I want to know who made that. Device to hold two fluorescent lights, very science, very fiction. I love it, like a wilhelm screen but for goofy props.

John Zabrucky. For decades he was the king of rental sci-fi props, but he's retiring this year.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-01-03/modern-props-closes-its-doors

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Khanstant posted:

Is it wrong that I'm hoping Data and the Borg Bae bang it out? An adorable little baby data-borg is born and there could be a whole series about trying to raise that little rascal to be a good kid.
Baby Databorg is sure to be next summer's most talked-about plot point!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

John Zabrucky. For decades he was the king of rental sci-fi props, but he's retiring this year.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-01-03/modern-props-closes-its-doors

drat, that's pretty rad. Gotta respect when someone knows to move on after decades of kicking rear end.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

piratepilates posted:

and re-used in a number of other cheap sci-fi productions of the time, including in the excellent low budget movie Trancers here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB6VdGNsJtw&t=797s

that grating on the walls also looks like the exact same one used in TNG/DS9

I saw Trancers in a theater recently and I haven’t hated a movie that much in a long time. Tom Paris’s dad does show up briefly though.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I saw Trancers in a theater recently and I haven’t hated a movie that much in a long time. Tom Paris’s dad does show up briefly though.

hey if Trancers 1 didn't do it for you, why not try Trancers 2? how about Trancers 3, starring Garak, who is using trancing (or w/e) to create secret super soldiers?

still not convinced? why not Trancers 4 and 5, which shifts the series to a fantasy setting?

there's also Trancers 6, which I haven't seen. I think I saw up to 4, and then couldn't find 5.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This belongs on the Star Trek Out of Context Twitter

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shocked that Pete Buttegieg was in a star trek movie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"Assimilate this." Worf says to a Direct TV dish floating into space.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

"Assimilate this." Worf says to a Direct TV dish floating into space.

I remember watching First Contact in theaters and this got a huge laugh.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The best part of the TNG movies were the beginnings of each when they had to cook up some reason why Worf was back from DS9.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lily owns, she made Picard fail his speech checks until he broke his funko pop cabinet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

The best part of the TNG movies were the beginnings of each when they had to cook up some reason why Worf was back from DS9.

By Nemesis they just stopped trying and he was just there

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ok so wait, wouldn't the First Contact have happened simply because the Ent-E was there? Obvi they tryna blow it up, but wouldn't the presence itself make the Vulcs be like "wots that?"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

Ok so wait, wouldn't the First Contact have happened simply because the Ent-E was there? Obvi they tryna blow it up, but wouldn't the presence itself make the Vulcs be like "wots that?"

They have a throwaway line about being sufficiently advanced to be able to easily hide from the vulcans of that era iirc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll buy that.

Hard to villainize the Borg in this. They're just looking for love! : o (

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Seems like all the drama about getting the launch off at the right time could have been avoided if the Enterprise just did a warp itself with that dude's busted prototype in tow and left.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

marktheando posted:

That's the one, the Borg Queen (There aren't any other movies with the Borg)

The Motion Picture :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay, that was pretty good. Just like a long episode with more action than usual and a few slightly over the top Picard action moments. But they were fun and cool so who cares. Come to think of it, this is kind of the DS9 episode where Sisko becomes Bell.

I do love that "First Contact" consists of them getting a drink at the bar with just the locals. I did crack up when the Vulcan was like *throws off hood, reveals ears*
"These primitives think our spaceship is impressive, but wait until they check out these ears"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Beachcomber posted:

Yes I fully understand that. All I'm saying is that Vulcan could have exploded for unrelated reasons in the 20 years since Romulus exploded, and we don't know for absolute certain it's still there until it appears on screen or someone mentions it.

Schrodinger's Vulcan

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, DS9's first season has some turds but is TNG is really the god mode of lovely first seasons. It's incredible the show survived that. Second season DS9 is fairly good overall.

Yeah but in the late 80s it was amazingly better than other scifi tv.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, DS9's first season has some turds but is TNG is really the god mode of lovely first seasons. It's incredible the show survived that. Second season DS9 is fairly good overall.

I am also rewatching through and just hit season three, man is it so good.

In retrospect I am impressed with how fully formed and well performed Quark, Garak, and Odo were right from the start.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Re watching the series I thought season one was no where near as bad as if been led to believe.

I think it's biggest issues was it was front loaded with some of the shittiest episodes, and the show gets slightly incrementally better and by around the end of the second season / start of the third it's fantastic.

:Edit: this is TNG I mean. Not DS9. I think DS9s biggest problem is the first season is kind of boring, but important to the world building that ends up being amazing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bilirubin posted:

I am also rewatching through and just hit season three, man is it so good.

In retrospect I am impressed with how fully formed and well performed Quark, Garak, and Odo were right from the start.

Less so about the other two, but Garak being fully formed is entirely down to Andrew Robinson. He was intended to be a one off played very differently.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

Re watching the series I thought season one was no where near as bad as if been led to believe.

I think it's biggest issues was it was front loaded with some of the shittiest episodes, and the show gets slightly incrementally better and by around the end of the second season / start of the third it's fantastic.

TNG had some TOS scripts they used early on, which are probably all the garbage ones. I know the racist Space Africa one was a TOS script at least.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Shocked that Pete Buttegieg was in a star trek movie.

Neal McDonough doesn't deserve this from you

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

TNG had some TOS scripts they used early on, which are probably all the garbage ones. I know the racist Space Africa one was a TOS script at least.

Phase II scripts. Phase II was a proposed Star Trek series in the late '70s. The episode that was written as the pilot, "In Thy Image", about a giant, destructive spaceship that comes to Earth to find its creator, was turned into The Motion Picture, and "The Child", and "Devil's Due" were Phase II scripts that were turned into TNG episodes.

Code of Honor, though, which was the Space Africa one, wasn't. That was based on an original script by Kathryn Powers. In the original script, the aliens were these lizard people called the "Tellisians", who were ruled by a warrior caste like the Japanese samurai. In the original script, the crew is on shore leave on this planet where ritual fighting occurs, and, after Tasha defeats a Tellisian in hand to hand combat, his father, this pilot named Lutan, kidnaps her. To get her back, the crew goes to the Tellisian homeworld. When they get there, they meet the king, who's then poisoned by Lutan, who wants to be the new king, and are thrown in prison for the king's murder. With the help of Lutan's nephew, they escape, and prove their innocence and Lutan's guilt.

Over the course of rewrites, they turned it into what it was, and then the director, Russ Mayberry, cast it entirely with African-American actors. He was fired about halfway through the episode of the filming, but by that point...

Kathryn Powers would then go on to write a strangely similar episode for Stargate: SG1, called Emancipation, where Major Carter (who's female), is kidnapped, this time by a tribe based on the Mongols, where women don't have rights and are the property of men, and ends up having to fight a chieftain to the death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I didn't know that about the original script. I assumed the writer just went on a spree of terror, submitting the same lovely story to every show.