Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

So I guess that means his fashion sense isn't as much of a facepalm as we thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's also worth noting that both times the hand on his face has been slapped off (by All Might and Bakugo), he's started talking to it and calling it father.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jng2058 posted:

I like how if one were coming to it blind one would assume that Jiro's the main character and that Izuku is at best her lead love interest in a harem that includes Bakugo and Todoroki!
Ah, so it's the OP to go with Season 2's first ED?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This entire season, every episode feels like absolutely nothing happens, with the exception of like, 3 episodes.

I just want some stuff to happen

C'mon

Do something

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The kitty cat sweaters in the OP!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fabricated posted:

Also lol, the ED is (Manga Spoilers)literally top to bottom spoilers. There's some really deep cuts in there too.

It's not quite as bad as Black Clover's newest OPs/EDs however, which includes a reveal for a thing that has been waiting since the actual start of the series- nevermind it revealing the next arc's antagonists probably a good dozen+ episodes before they'll be officially shown.

I know you probably meant well, but what told you this was a good idea to post in the Anime thread, where a lot of people haven't read the manga? Having these sorts of things told to you in advance can ruin the experience for some people. I ask that you please be more considerate in the future with posting anything that may be future manga spoilers in Anime threads and tag them appropriately or consider if it's worth bringing up at all. Thanks.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I like how if one were coming to it blind one would assume that Jiro's the main character and that Izuku is at best her lead love interest in a harem that includes Bakugo and Todoroki!

It would be a fun twist ending to the show if the final arc is just Midoriya and the rest having beaten so many villains that hero society is now unnecessary. Uraraka could be getting rich working on space exploration projects and Jiro could be the world's most famous rock star with Bakugo and Todoroki providing backing instruments and pyrotechnics during shows.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm fine with main character Jiro. Rocker girl, woo!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Somebody brought up an interesting point elsewhere that I hadn't considered. I liked Overhaul a lot and was unhappy with his end because it's apparent he was introduced for no other reason than to be sacrificed to a villain I care less about. His final impotent, agonized shriek was to show he had lost and Shigaraki had won.

But what was suggested to me was that his total despair had less to do with his plans going up in smoke and more to do with him now being powerless. With him powerless, there is apparently no way to help his father. Chisaki put him in that coma sure but it's also obvious he intended to heal his "pops" at some point. Even if his plan with the bullets fell through, as long as he had his Quirk he could help restore the old Yakuza leader.

Well now he has no Quirk and his beloved father is condemned to a coma forever. The bullets and world domination aren't what crushed his spirit, it was the realization the one person he loved was trapped in a fate worse than death.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

But what was suggested to me was that his total despair had less to do with his plans going up in smoke and more to do with him now being powerless. With him powerless, there is apparently no way to help his father. Chisaki put him in that coma sure but it's also obvious he intended to heal his "pops" at some point. Even if his plan with the bullets fell through, as long as he had his Quirk he could help restore the old Yakuza leader.

Chisaki's whole deal is that he thought everyone he came in contact with and everyone he used were absolutely expendable and just scum. The whole mask thing was so he didn't have to breathe the same air as that trash. He had no plan to save that old man. He's a selfish rear end in a top hat who wants to put himself on top and see's the world as diseased and sick, who consistently lies and manipulates everyone that he works with. They hammer that over and over and over to set him apart from the League of Villains who, while murderous assholes, do genuinely do care about one another (See: Toga and Twice's interactions, everything about their reaction to Magne's murder and misgendering). Chisaki wasn't going to save his mentor, that's something the LoV would do, not the Yakuza.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Chisaki's whole deal is that he thought everyone he came in contact with and everyone he used were absolutely expendable and just scum. The whole mask thing was so he didn't have to breathe the same air as that trash. He had no plan to save that old man. He's a selfish rear end in a top hat who wants to put himself on top and see's the world as diseased and sick, who consistently lies and manipulates everyone that he works with. They hammer that over and over and over to set him apart from the League of Villains who, while murderous assholes, do genuinely do care about one another (See: Toga and Twice's interactions, everything about their reaction to Magne's murder and misgendering). Chisaki wasn't going to save his mentor, that's something the LoV would do, not the Yakuza.

There is explicitly a scene of him vowing to restore his father in the anime and I would imagine it's in the manga as well. He has no reason to lie there, it was just him and the old comatose man. He also spoke in a very soft, clearly emotional way, even calling him "pops" which sticks with me as it's such a...personal way of phrasing to show how he felt about this man.

It seemed very apparent he loved the old man and was loyal to him in his own warped, villainous way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I could buy that Overhaul would restore the guy. But I also believe he'd put him right back into a coma when he found out what Overhaul was doing to Eri.

He just can't see the big picture. :argh:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Overhaul put his ostensibly beloved adoptive father in a coma because he rather politely told him to stop torturing a child. The old man and reviving the Yakuza was an excuse, nothing more than that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

There is explicitly a scene of him vowing to restore his father in the anime and I would imagine it's in the manga as well. He has no reason to lie there, it was just him and the old comatose man. He also spoke in a very soft, clearly emotional way, even calling him "pops" which sticks with me as it's such a...personal way of phrasing to show how he felt about this man.

It seemed very apparent he loved the old man and was loyal to him in his own warped, villainous way.

It's a lie to make himself feel better. The man put him in a coma because the old guy said "What no please stop torturing my only living relative who is an actual baby" and Overhaul snapped and put him in a coma and then tortured that baby even more. This was for no ones benefit but his own. He's a complete monster in a way that even makes the LoV look good, that's the entire text and subtext of his character and arc. Everything was something to be broken down and rebuilt into something useful to him personally, from his mentor to a literal child to his own men. In the end he's angry and desperate not for the memory of his mentor but because HIS plans and schemes are being destroyed by the things he doesn't even consider to be really people.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 26, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think its possible for both things to be true. Chisaki does seem to honestly care about his adoptive father as we do see him looking up to him in flashbacks but his obsession clearly got the better of him and he convinced himself that it was all for his step-dads best interests while going further and further off the deep end. Chisaki just sees his will as the only one that matters and refuses to compromise. You can see in his flashbacks that its not the first time he overstepped his place and acted outside of the Boss's wishes. I think he did start out wanting to revive the Yakuza but then at some point the possibilities of what Eri meant for his worldview became more important.

Its similar to how Stain has some genuinely good criticisms of Hero culture and does have a pretty good idea of what it means to be truly heroic but his fanaticism turned him into an uncompromising psycho and his original good intentions warped out of control.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I don't even remember what Stains motives were I just remember he was a serial killer

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I find it weird that Stain is all "You shouldn't be paid for being a hero!"

I mean... you expect people to risk their lives for free? :psyduck:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fartbox posted:

I don't even remember what Stains motives were I just remember he was a serial killer

He wanted heroes to be a hero as a hobby.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kild posted:

He wanted heroes to be a hero as a hobby.

This just makes me want a One Punch Man crossover with MHA even more.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I find it weird that Stain is all "You shouldn't be paid for being a hero!"

I mean... you expect people to risk their lives for free? :psyduck:
He doesn't have a problem with cops being paid to do their job. It's explicitly that he doesn't believe people should be running around claiming to be "heroes" if they don't fit whatever his definition of what it means to be a hero is.

Hell, it's probably less about the money and more about the amount of money as well as the glory seeking. Ingenium, both of them, are good men, but they also benefit from their family being intergenerationally wealthy off of heroics.

Which isn't to say Stain is right. Just that his world view is more complex than making money from saving lives is bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I think its possible for both things to be true. Chisaki does seem to honestly care about his adoptive father as we do see him looking up to him in flashbacks but his obsession clearly got the better of him and he convinced himself that it was all for his step-dads best interests while going further and further off the deep end. Chisaki just sees his will as the only one that matters and refuses to compromise. You can see in his flashbacks that its not the first time he overstepped his place and acted outside of the Boss's wishes. I think he did start out wanting to revive the Yakuza but then at some point the possibilities of what Eri meant for his worldview became more important.

Its similar to how Stain has some genuinely good criticisms of Hero culture and does have a pretty good idea of what it means to be truly heroic but his fanaticism turned him into an uncompromising psycho and his original good intentions warped out of control.

Somebody once put it this way to me: No matter how smart the villain is, evil itself is not a rational choice.

All for One told a little Tomura "the world shouldn't be so cruel" because that little boy was all alone in the world and ignored by society. If Shigaraki had his way, every child in the world would be like he was, frightened and alone and ignored by the world.

These are bad people and their motives and actions are not strictly coherent. Chisaki's love for the old man existed side by side with his narcissism. and fanatical hatred of Quirks.

Fartbox posted:

If you ever heard of the philosopher Immanuel Kant, he believed you should do something because it's right. You should take no pleasure in it, you do it simply because it is the right thing to do.

Altruism and self-sacrifice are what Stain idealized. Heroes should help society for no reason other than it is what Heroes do. If they let other "impure" motives into their hearts - like Iida's lust for revenge or Endeavor's quest for glory - they are bad Heroes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Stain's whole deal was taking a kernel of a perfectly reasonable idea - "A true hero shouldn't be distracted by personal interests like fame, money, or personal feelings when other people's lives are on the line" and running with it all the way to "If you have even the faintest moment of weakness or self-interest while working as a pro hero then I will paint the walls with your intestines."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tbf the example of "if you're such a hero why are you fighting me instead of saving that guy" is really powerful and cutting

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ninjewtsu posted:

Tbf the example of "if you're such a hero why are you fighting me instead of saving that guy" is really powerful and cutting
Yeah, that's a pretty good moment. He also specifically goes out of his way to save Midoriya because he proved himself a hero.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And of course his last act was to drag his broken body over towards Endeavor and scream about how he was a false hero.

This was right after we had learned all about Endeavor's awfulness.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Maybe some people want to spend their time saving people but also not become homeless and starve so they want to get paid

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat you're right looks like there's some kind of flaw in this psychopath murderer sword guy's plan after all

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Maybe some people want to spend their time saving people but also not become homeless and starve so they want to get paid

I never really got the impression that stain believed that heroes should never be compensated for their work (he idolized all might and all might certainly made good money off of heroing), he seemed to be more against the concept of heroing as a career. As in, a situation that creates a society where people masquerading as "heroes" are actually just interested in the paycheck and dont really want to save people, thus creating heroes that turn their back on people in danger because they see a bigger career move for them elsewhere (like being the one to take out an infamous serial killer)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I dunno, I feel like if Stain met Uraraka (who certainly wants the money being a hero gives you, but wants that money not for herself but to support her family) he'd at the very least understand her

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

There's nothing inherently wrong with being a hero for pay. a job is a job. They're still doing net good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stain operates on extremely black and white morality with no room for people to grow or redeem themselves. His ideal of heroism is noble but he’s too absolutist which is why he’s a villain.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fartbox posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with being a hero for pay. a job is a job. They're still doing net good

You might even say that while his perspective has some poignant and cutting criticisms that serve as a powerful motivator for his followers, as a whole his ideology is very poorly suited to any practical application and thus the existing hero society can't realistically integrate the ideology of a serial killer to appease those who were reached by his words

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Stain's perspective is super interesting but it kind of feels hollow when the only hero who really exemplifies his criticisms is endeavor. Wheres the other jerk heroes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Cool motive, still murder.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stain fails to realize that the real villain is capitalism.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ninjewtsu posted:

Stain's perspective is super interesting but it kind of feels hollow when the only hero who really exemplifies his criticisms is endeavor. Wheres the other jerk heroes

That's the thing....even the "jerk" heroes are still risking their lives for the greater good. Take Mount Lady, who we see is a greedy, fame-seeking, selfish hero who steals credit from Kamui Wood, shakes her rear end to get attention, and fights with Midnight on TV over who's the sexiest hero. She ought to be the exemplar of what's wrong with hero culture in Stain's eyes. But when the chips were down she intentionally sacrificed herself to help save Bakugo from the League of Villains, even knowing that (as far as she knew) they'd already killed Best Jeanist and could easily kill her too for interfering.

Even Endeavor, who is clearly an rear end in a top hat, still saves people from mortal peril drat near every day!

The flaw in Stain's thinking is in concluding that the good that even selfish heroes like Mount Lady and Endeavor do isn't worth doing, just because they have selfish motives for doing it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Not to derail the conversation but has anyone here speculated on what exactly the League will do with the Quirk destroying bullets? They only have a few so it must be a very targeted, specific thing.

I wonder if the bullets work on All For One? Would one negate his proper Quirk, just one of his stolen Quirks, all of them at once?

'Cuz I don't se Tomura being AfO's lackey forever. Could use one of those bullets on him at some future date.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Not to derail the conversation but has anyone here speculated on what exactly the League will do with the Quirk destroying bullets? They only have a few so it must be a very targeted, specific thing.

I wonder if the bullets work on All For One? Would one negate his proper Quirk, just one of his stolen Quirks, all of them at once?

'Cuz I don't se Tomura being AfO's lackey forever. Could use one of those bullets on him at some future date.

It is hard to say how it would react to AFO or OFA but I doubt Tomura has any plans to use it on one of the few people he genuinely cares for.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Junpei posted:

I dunno, I feel like if Stain met Uraraka (who certainly wants the money being a hero gives you, but wants that money not for herself but to support her family) he'd at the very least understand her

He'd think that because she wasn't doing hero stuff out of 100% pure altruism that she had no right to call herself a hero, because Stain is lunatic who doesn't actually care about people, just his ideals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ultimately Stain seems to object to the branding as much as anything, which is dismayingly realistic.