Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Klyith posted:

it is a limitation of running 4 sticks of memory in daisy chain

The wires that connect each channel of memory go from the CPU to slot 1, and then to slot 2. (The wires for the other channel go to slot 3 & 4.) This means that when you have a stick in each slot, they will be slightly out of sync due to the tiny additional distance the signal has to travel from slot 1 to 2. The QVL and ram rated speeds are always for running just 2 sticks.

Besides lowering the clockspeed, you can also try setting the CAS etc timings higher to run at 3000 or 3200, to keep the Ryzen IF clock high. That probably makes no difference for a plex server though.

(Other, high end boards have T topology instead of daisy chain, in which the signals split evenly like a T. This is more expensive for the PCB and in general can't run at as high of clocks as daisy chain can with just 2 sticks.)

Cool! Thanks for the info :)

The 2933MHz XMP profile sets the CAS to 16. Is it advisable to go any higher than that? Though, I'm not too fussed about all 4 sticks not being able to run at 3200MHz tbh. 2933MHz is fine, because yeah, the PC operates as a Plex server 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time it's a Steam "server" that streams games to a Steam Link and Apple TV during family get-togethers—these are casual "couch" type multiplayer games that aren't graphically intensive too (think like Overcooked, or Jackbox Party Pack), so I'm guessing there's likely no discernible difference in casual gaming performance between running the RAM at 2933 instead of 3200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Is it worth waiting until after next gen consoles come out to see what's out before I upgrade my CPU/motherboard/RAM? I'm at an ancient stock i5-2500k with a 2070 Super.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Evil Robot posted:

Is it worth waiting until after next gen consoles come out to see what's out before I upgrade my CPU/motherboard/RAM? I'm at an ancient stock i5-2500k with a 2070 Super.

Unless you're getting performance you're unhappy with now it always worth it to wait.

That said, your CPU is going to be holding back that video card, especially, especially, at stock. I assume you have a 1440p144 monitor as well?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Robot posted:

I upgraded from my 2500k to a 3600 in the summer because I was tired of my FPS dropping from ~120 to sub 50 in Battlefield V. It was totally fine in every other game. I don't think there is any other game that's so CPU dependant at the moment, so if you aren't having problems with other games it'll probably do you fine until Zen3, even more so if you aren't aiming for 144fps.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I run games at either 1440p60 or 4k60/30. Seems like not a big deal then. Borderlands 3 stutters a lot (at 1440p/High settings) with lots of enemies / when loading but maybe that's coming down to something else (I have a SATA3 SSD and my RAM is still DDR3).

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 26, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

Cool! Thanks for the info :)

The 2933MHz XMP profile sets the CAS to 16. Is it advisable to go any higher than that?

Eh, how valuable is your time? You could probably find some combo of timings and speed that's better, but fiddling with memory can be some extremely tedious trial and error.

And yeah, given your use there will be zero perceivable difference between 2933 and 3200.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Is there any info about when Zen3 is expected to be released? It's not such a big jump from Zen2 to 3 as it was from Zen+ to Zen2, right? So the gap between releases could potentially be a little less than the year-and-a-bit cadence of prior releases.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Is there any info about when Zen3 is expected to be released? It's not such a big jump from Zen2 to 3 as it was from Zen+ to Zen2, right? So the gap between releases could potentially be a little less than the year-and-a-bit cadence of prior releases.

I would expect a similar cadence so Q4 of this year or so, probably not as big of a jump as Zen 2 but the rumors are it's still pretty significant.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Evil Robot posted:

One of my old computers has a 2500k (4.5ghz) and I recently put a 2070s into it to see how it would perform and it was better than I expected. FPS was high, but it was as you note subject to a lot of poor 1% lows (stuttering, more or less).

Performance in certain games like BF1 was still pretty bad. You can upgrade to a much more capable processor for not a lot of money and have a much more consistent gaming experience. A 1600AF on the low end or a 3600 will smooth you over.

Here's the various scores https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/21181717/fs/21537873/fs/21585578 (slightly different clocks on the cards)

NickBlasta fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 27, 2020

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Evil Robot posted:

I run games at either 1440p60 or 4k60/30. Seems like not a big deal then. Borderlands 3 stutters a lot (at 1440p/High settings) with lots of enemies / when loading but maybe that's coming down to something else (I have a SATA3 SSD and my RAM is still DDR3).

Evil Robot posted:

Your frame times are probably inconsistent which leads to stuttering. You can get decent average FPS but you would see quite a difference in frame times and max FPS if you upgraded to something more modern.

late e: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3412-intel-i7-2600k-revisit-2018-benchmarks-vs-9900k-ryzen-more

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 27, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Klyith posted:

Eh, how valuable is your time? You could probably find some combo of timings and speed that's better, but fiddling with memory can be some extremely tedious trial and error.

And yeah, given your use there will be zero perceivable difference between 2933 and 3200.

I've never really been one to try and min/max settings when it comes to PC performance. I've done mild GPU OCs in the past, but for the last decade or so, I just buy components and run everything stock. I'm a-ok with just selecting XMP Profile 1 and leaving the RAM speed/timings at that lol.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I recently built a system with a 3900X and I'm wondering about the voltage/temperature stats in Ryzen Master. At idle the voltage is peaking at 1.475v with an average of 0.4v, temperature 40c. Under full load it remains a steady 1.37v and 60c.

Is that normal? I guess it could be, the thing is physically dense and changes frequency extremely rapidly. But it's quite a difference from my old 3570K for sure so I'd like some reassurance on that peak voltage, I don't want this thing dying on me.

Some other details: I'm using an MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max motherboard, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16 memory and the cooler is a Noctua UH-14S.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

What a CPU though, drat. I'm a developer and I'm going back to old tools I've made in the past to see how well they can utilise the 24 threads. Usually badly, but it's quite fun getting them there now.

One particular tool runs at 24.5 times the speed it did on the 3570K at 4.2Ghz. loving hell :v:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Spatial posted:

I recently built a system with a 3900X and I'm wondering about the voltage/temperature stats in Ryzen Master. At idle the voltage is peaking at 1.475v with an average of 0.4v, temperature 40c. Under full load it remains a steady 1.37v and 60c.

Is that normal? I guess it could be, the thing is physically dense and changes frequency extremely rapidly. But it's quite a difference from my old 3570K for sure so I'd like some reassurance on that peak voltage, I don't want this thing dying on me.

Some other details: I'm using an MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max motherboard, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16 memory and the cooler is a Noctua UH-14S.

Have you updated your BIOS? That's the behavior I was seeing on the stock BIOS of my launch X570 board with AGESA 1.0.0.2. Upgrading to a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA (right after it came out) fixed it for me.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Whoops, BIOS was the oldest possible version. :shobon:

Yeah that did it. Latest idles at 1.35v peak, 0.5v average. Loaded it's about the same as before. Only in the middling loads does it touch 1.4V.

Added bonus, it boosts a bit higher and the idle clocks are lower too, the performance is measurably better overall. Nice!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Microcenter has the 3800X for $299 and 3700X for $279.. I went for the 3800X since the free game alone would make up for the $20 difference. RIP i5 2500K.

Very impressed with the 3800X, I think the yields/bins must have improved drastically since launch because I got mine set to manual OC of 4.4ghz all-core with 1.30v, and reading old reviews people were complaining that 4.4ghz wasn't stable even at 1.45v. And I am using stock cooler (next on upgrade list), I am confident that I could get 4.5ghz all-core around 1.35v but I am not going to bother, 100mhz just isn't worth it.

Paired it with $155 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600C16. Hynix ICs (Thaiphoon says DJR). Had no problem overclocking to 3800C16 and FCLK to 1900 1:1 with 1.38v. I didn't have to reduce any of the primary timings which surprised me, and have been able to reduce some of the secondary ones.

I already sold the two included games for $35 each. Basically $230 for a CPU that takes on the 9900KS. This thing is a beast. Especially with AVX workloads.

I think any Sandy/Ivy Bridge people on the fence about upgrading should go for it. Otherwise Zen3 will come out and you'll start wondering whether you should wait for Zen4 because it will use a new socket + DDR5 and be more "future proof", meanwhile your 2500K will continue choking with crappy minimum framerates and at multitasking with the billion Game launchers/spotify/mouse utilities/web browsers you run in the background.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'll make the decision easier: It's almost absolutely certain that next gen Ryzen will be on a new socket, no need to wait for the generation after that.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
4000 series is AM4 though?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Threw together my 3600X / X570 system a while back, upgraded to the latest bios and oddly enough it crashes...while idling. It's soliid while gaming. If I let it sit in some games at the menu, it crashes. If I leave OneDrive running, it crashes. If I use Citrix to work from home, it crashes.

I don't know what the gently caress

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EmpyreanFlux posted:

almost certainly, but no official announcements

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Threw together my 3600X / X570 system a while back, upgraded to the latest bios and oddly enough it crashes...while idling. It's soliid while gaming. If I let it sit in some games at the menu, it crashes. If I leave OneDrive running, it crashes. If I use Citrix to work from home, it crashes.

I don't know what the gently caress

try memtest to see if your memory is unstable? ram would be equally likely to cause crashes when idle as with load.

Apr 7, 2003

Klyith posted:

almost certainly, but no official announcements

try memtest to see if your memory is unstable? ram would be equally likely to cause crashes when idle as with load.

I memtested and it all passed. System was solid as hell until I updated the BIOS from the original 07/2019 file. Pretty lol

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

Very impressed with the 3800X, I think the yields/bins must have improved drastically since launch because I got mine set to manual OC of 4.4ghz all-core with 1.30v, and reading old reviews people were complaining that 4.4ghz wasn't stable even at 1.45v. And I am using stock cooler (next on upgrade list), I am confident that I could get 4.5ghz all-core around 1.35v but I am not going to bother, 100mhz just isn't worth it.

Are you sure that you're not getting clock stretching and that 4.4Ghz actually performs like 4.4Ghz?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Yeah, those will be a Zen2+ minor refresh, not a full overhaul like Zen3. I personally suspect AMD will make good on supporting AM4 through Zen3 because they overbuilt the poo poo out of that socket. DDR5 support is going to drive a new socket design and every prior DDR generation change saw the new gen performing identical to the prior for the first 1-2 years. There likely won't be a practical reason to jump to it immediately beyond being able to say you did it, and it will drive up total system costs.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Arzachel posted:

Are you sure that you're not getting clock stretching and that 4.4Ghz actually performs like 4.4Ghz?

It really seems like it's never worth overclocking Ryzen. Sometimes you can get gains in all-core workloads, but then you lose in stability and lightly threaded performance

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3990x

Does anyone else find it funny that they put an asterisk on "render time irrelevant"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

3990X reviews are out. Due to so much software (including winders) not understanding what to do with 64c/128t, its actually slower than the 3970X in a lot of even highly threaded tests at the moment. Winders 10 Pro straight up doesnt understand over 64 threads and breaks it into two virtual "sockets", which then breaks a ton of software in the same way multiple NUMA nodes does. You either have to turn SMT off, or use Win 10 Enterprise/Pro for Workstations, which comes with its own tradeoffs.

But for things that understand what it is, like Blender, it performs like you would expect. I am surprised stuff like Geekbench and SPECWorkstation wasnt prepared for a 64c CPU, tbh.

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3990x-review-64-cores-for-a-workstation/

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483/amd-threadripper-3990x-review

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah, those will be a Zen2+ minor refresh, not a full overhaul like Zen3. I personally suspect AMD will make good on supporting AM4 through Zen3 because they overbuilt the poo poo out of that socket. DDR5 support is going to drive a new socket design and every prior DDR generation change saw the new gen performing identical to the prior for the first 1-2 years. There likely won't be a practical reason to jump to it immediately beyond being able to say you did it, and it will drive up total system costs.

AMD has confirmed there will be no Zen2+ though?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Arzachel posted:

https://imgur.com/a/hDUMBxN

Need a couple days more stability testing but so far so good.

Basically I:
+increased clock rate from 3900 by 100 each, ran CB20, kept eye on temps so they didn't go past 85C during testing
+If PASS and TEMPS under 85C, +100mhz, repeat.
+IF NO CRASH but TEMPS raising above 85C, cancel test, lower voltage, repeat.

At 4.5ghz it crashed. I think I was at 1.33v or something.
Backed down to 4.4GHZ. Then I reduced voltage a few steps at a time, to try to find where it would crash. Was about 1.27v
Then I raised voltage 2 steps above that. Stable enough to finish CB20. I would run it, note the score, raise voltage one step, re-run it. If score increased with volt increase, I knew there was clock stretching that was reducing the score. So I kept raising step by step until the score no longer improved with more voltage.
Then I gave it another 2 steps for good measure. Ended up at 1.30v. Also have LLC3 enabled. Temps max out about 80C in CB20 during 1 hour run. During gaming, I'm about 70C, normal use 45-65C, idle at 35C (Global C-states Enabled). A little higher than I'd like but next thing I'll buy is a new cooler.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
which of these reviews took place under noctua coolers :q:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Microcenter this weekend:

$150 for 3600

$260 for 3700X

$449 for 3900X

$700 for 3950X

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

EmpyreanFlux posted:

AMD has confirmed there will be no Zen2+ though?

Yeah this is correct, Papermaster has said as much publicly in a few interviews over the years.

They're going to Zen3 in later 2020 with TSMC's 7nm+ and it miiiiiiiight launch on the server platform first before going to desktops but it'll be coming to AM4.

Its Zen4 that could end up on a new socket. No word about that CPU at all really yet though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
From Tech Jesus: This chucklefuck again.

AMD Has Lost, Says Analyst Who Probably Cost Investors Money: Opinion: Why AMD’s best days are behind it: AMD had a shot to catch Intel and blew it

I feel terrible for driving clicks to it, but holy poo poo, this guy is so wildly off-base, it beggars belief.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I feel terrible for driving clicks to it, but holy poo poo, this guy is so wildly off-base, it beggars belief.
Me, talking about a market I know nothing about : AMD failed to grab market share in consoles.

You know, the market where they are the exclusive vendor for 2 out of 3 of the big console companies and face literally no competition. The market where they are the market.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 9, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
AMD's stock since the Zen release and especially the slow market reaction to Zen 2 was the tipping point that convinced me that there is a huge opportunity for a new wave of market analysts who actually understand the industries they're following in addition to the financial side of things. The current ones are so amazingly bad. Anyone with any understanding of the companies involved and what the actual physical possibilities are should understand that AMD has at minimum another year or two before Intel can actually do anything about their process problems and scale up production on them. Even if they do that the other problems they're facing and AMD's current strength make it unlikely AMD is going to go back to their previously abysmal market share any time soon.

You can't beat the analysts by only understanding the industry side of things, but even a modicum of understanding of the industry and a modicum of understanding of how stock markets work will let you beat them. This isn't just true for CPU manufacturers, I've seen it in other industries as well. It's not just the low-rent doofuses writing articles either, the analysis supporting real big money investors is clearly well behind the ball as well, failing to react at all to extremely obvious signals from the real world side of things. It seems impossible that there's still so much room for optimization, but it's clearly there.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 9, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

From Tech Jesus: This chucklefuck again.

AMD Has Lost, Says Analyst Who Probably Cost Investors Money: Opinion: Why AMD’s best days are behind it: AMD had a shot to catch Intel and blew it

That's all financial / stock / business reporting anymore, one guy writes an article about how "X is good and on top of the market" and another guy writes "X is finished", it's dumb as hell. Go to marketwatch.com and refresh it every ten minutes and you'll get both sides'd.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I guess if you are thinking the stock price will go up another 25x in the next 4 years from where it is now (over $1200/share) then yes, AMD's best days are most assuredly behind them.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don't make stock decisions based off technical merits of a product or your "understanding" of the industry

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

WhyteRyce posted:

Don't make stock decisions based off technical merits of a product or your "understanding" of the industry

Yes, but because no one else is either.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ItBreathes posted:

Yes, but because no one else is either.

People can and do but thinking because you read tech blogs gives you a leg up on everyone else isn't a great idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Yeah, basing stock predictions on things like technical merits of a product and understanding of the manufacturing mistakenly assumes stock markets are rational constructs.