Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Good friend of mine from college died in a freak helicopter accident and the only reason her crashed wasn’t covered more in local news was because another helicopter crash happened not long after that killed more people.

I will never fly in a helicopter.

I worked with someone who survived 3 different helicopter crashes in the military. He won't go anywhere near the things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

KillHour posted:

I worked with someone who survived 3 different helicopter crashes in the military. He won't go anywhere near the things.

Is he the Unbreakable dude? wtf

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

And military helicopters generally have more upkeep than civilian. I have been in several military helicopters myself that have had issues. I am another that will never set foot in one again.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There was a big deal made of helicopter safety in Hawaii less than a month ago when 7 people died on Kauai. They want to make it illegal to fly over Honolulu because there have been like 15 crashes in the past 3 years. Last year one crashed into a residential neighborhood in Kailua.

Never go on a helicopter.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

edit: I will retract this and I hope this wasn't true as there are now conflicting reports.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 26, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

There are conflicting reports on this right now.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
When Bernie wins the 2020 election, the DNC will make claims of election interference themselves, independent of Trump.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

PhazonLink posted:

the osha thread has taught me that helicopters are hell machines that want to violently fuse into the ground.

I always think of something that a experienced helicopter pilot told me while I was in the army: airplanes want to stay in the air, helicopters want to stay on the ground, and eventually the machine always gets it's way.

I don't go on helicopters anymore.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Welp, someone is getting fired

https://twitter.com/rsierra23/status/1221529169152086026?s=20

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Holy gently caress did her brain break or something?

For those who don’t want to listen she said “Los Angeles... N-word... Lakers” and it was crystal clear

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

OB_Juan posted:

" dumb as a rock AOC "

Reads AOC as "ayock"

:catstare:

Holy hell, I think you're onto something here.

I'm . . . utterly speechless. This is almost too dumb even for him, but at the same time it makes so much sense that it's probably true.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

N and L are very similar mouth shapes -- I'm not joking. I used to be a language teacher and would help people get to an English L by first making an N and modifying their tongue position.

G and K are even more similar, they are a voiced/unvoiced consonant pair.

That's an astonishing fuckup but it's a fuckup of coordination not crypto-racism. The vowel sound is clear and it's an A not an I.

lol is the appropriate reaction

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Holy poo poo. Yeah, I can't imagine what causes you to do this.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What won't Trump do to distract us from the impeachment?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

lol

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

N and L are very similar mouth shapes -- I'm not joking. I used to be a language teacher and would help people get to an English L by first making an N and modifying their tongue position.

That's an astonishing fuckup but it's a fuckup of coordination not crypto-racism. The vowel sound is clear and it's an A not an I.

Or that's exactly the kind of "edgy" joke a rich white neoliberal makes behind closed doors and she let it come out subconsciously

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And here I was to understand that helicopters cannot crash, because if they lose power they just magically autogyro down

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1221535503868223488

TRUMP: "Some say the biggest basketball tragedy that any president has ever had! Wow! Thank you!"

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think she actually said knickers, mixing up knicks and lakers, but it certainly sounds just like the n word

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Finally, the op ed page will be ours and political power will naturally follow.
As Frum goes, so goes the nation.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Arglebargle III posted:

we really out here giving the benefit of the doubt based on mouth shape

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Helicopters are loving death traps and I can’t understand why so many other medics aspire so hard to fly.

Maybe if you’ve got nothing to live for.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

LeeMajors posted:

Helicopters are loving death traps and I can’t understand why so many other medics aspire so hard to fly.

Maybe if you’ve got nothing to live for.

I mean they're cool I guess

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's so stupid and from the weird way that she paused I could maybe conceivably buy that she has terminally stupid mouth disease and tbh this is going to be pretty clear based off of her family/friends/is her social media covered in weird white nationalist poo poo

More precisely, lol

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's so stupid and from the weird way that she paused I could maybe conceivably buy that she has terminally stupid mouth disease and tbh this is going to be pretty clear based off of her family/friends/is her social media covered in weird white nationalist poo poo

More precisely, lol

Or just casual white mommy suburban poo poo.

Suburbanites say the worst things behind closed doors.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1221535503868223488

TRUMP: "Some say the biggest basketball tragedy that any president has ever had! Wow! Thank you!"

it's not a surprise that he's sad that a fellow rapist died

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let's watch a video that's actually about politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1-47VqgOs

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah that's why I say that this will be really clear based off of just who tf she actually is and how she responds. People who made an honest mistake and feel horrible respond 1000% differently from people who are smugly trying to signal some poo poo and maybe play stupid and suggest that people are over-reacting etc.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Arglebargle III posted:

Lakers is a hard A vowel sound. N word is a soft I vowel sound. I’m hearing a soft I, and if you think otherwise I don’t know what to tell you other than listen again?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
IMO it sounds more like mush mouth rather than wanting to say a slur on air but it's 2020 who fuckin knows anymore.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Slowpoke! posted:

Lakers is a hard A vowel sound. N word is a soft I vowel sound. I’m hearing a soft I, and if you think otherwise I don’t know what to tell you other than listen again?

I do not agree. I mean, yeah get mad about it. It's fun to get mad. I don't really know why I take these positions in this thread. Go nuts. Be angry. The woman clearly wanted to say the N-word on TV and get away with it, but you caught her! Good job. You're a real leftist. Everyone is proud of you.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah this. I can maybe buy the "Knicks, oh poo poo I mean Lakers" hybrid, but there's a reason "Get Out" resonated so well for lots of black folks who interact with high society white people

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If it was just a deeply-unfortunate mid-pronunciation hybridisation, I wish her the best of luck in her next job.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tubgoat posted:

If it was just a deeply-unfortunate mid-pronunciation hybridisation, I wish her the best of luck in her next job.

Possibly this. Started with, "Knicks," switched to "Lakers" halfway through.

If.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe she just listens to alot of korean music

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PainterofCrap posted:

Possibly this. Started with, "Knicks," switched to "Lakers" halfway through.

If.

That's how I heard it but still, goddamn yikes

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

As someone who has been called that word many times I'm gonna go ahead and say that wasn't just a casual mispronunciation.

Best of luck to her.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 26, 2020

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I just listened to that a few more times, and hoo boy that is a very hard G sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mat Cauthon posted:

I always think of something that a experienced helicopter pilot told me while I was in the army: airplanes want to stay in the air, helicopters want to stay on the ground, and eventually the machine always gets it's way.

Did this pilot think that airplanes are magic anti-gravity devices that will just float into the upper atmosphere if not kept in check? Because they will kill you just as likely if they crash. Just don't fly, it's the best for climate.

Data Graham posted:

And here I was to understand that helicopters cannot crash, because if they lose power they just magically autogyro down

Kinda. All aircraft can glide or autogyro down if they lose power, but it won't save any lives if they have nothing suitable to land on. And it obviously won't work if the cause is something more drastic than loss of power, like a major mechanical breakdown or hitting an obstacle.