Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

Question for the already out wizards - big Navy put a chrck in ky account today for an amount that seems like more,than I should get for my last 11 days of service, which end 26JAN. Do they bump up the date when you separate? Further, there's supposed to be a two week delay, ie we get paid for first two weeks of JAN on the first of FEB, no? Thanks.

Remember that pay rates changed in 2020 which includes a bump of around 3% or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yeah far as I can tell I got my second to last check a week early amd there's still the final that'll be processed. I probably should not try and make sense of DFAS.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i feel like the us merchant marine barely ever crosses the equator, you could have 30 years at sea and be a pollywog these days

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

shovelbum posted:

i feel like the us merchant marine barely ever crosses the equator, you could have 30 years at sea and be a pollywog these days

poo poo you could do 30 years without hitting salt water.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I’m rusty about merchant marine deets, but is it like only the ships that do the Jones Act type routes and all that keeps them out of that lat band?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

I’m rusty about merchant marine deets, but is it like only the ships that do the Jones Act type routes and all that keeps them out of that lat band?

Our foreign trading ships are overwhelmingly on middle east, northern europe, and east asia runs these days. There's a few low paying ships that go elsewhere but not many and there's no reason to sail on them unless you're desperate. There's one container ship on a good contract on the east Africa run I think.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1221101855163502592

Happy to hear that the 60 crew were all recovered safely

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1221101855163502592

Happy to hear that the 60 crew were all recovered safely

You almost never hear that, it's pretty nice to hear for once.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The blue ridge goes to sea?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

orange juche posted:

The blue ridge goes to sea?

If it's anything like Mount Whitney, it just teleports from pier to pier.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Madurai posted:

If it's anything like Mount Whitney, it just teleports from pier to pier.

Man I keep searching the orders available to try to get on admirals staff. Maybe next year.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Don’t those LCCs have a requirement to do a quarterly cruise or something for readiness reasons?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Don’t those LCCs have a requirement to do a quarterly cruise or something for readiness reasons?

Cruising from Japan to Korea for a week and then back to home port to pick up Christmas presents for the family isn't really a cruise. At least not in the way the rest of the Navy which is used to 6-8 month deployments is used to.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

orange juche posted:

Cruising from Japan to Korea for a week and then back to home port to pick up Christmas presents for the family isn't really a cruise. At least not in the way the rest of the Navy which is used to 6-8 month deployments is used to.

Yeah I mean I shoulda done quotes on it. Like when I came off an 11month (extended because dumbshits wanting to pewpew fishing boats) there was a dude at school whining about how frequently LCCs were underway. Everyone was basically like “dude, do not talk the rest of these 3 weeks”

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
so, uh, hypothetical question

lets say a ship's sonar system was super, duper hosed, and even casrepping the faulty parts, this hypothetical ship wouldn't see replacements until ~2024

what...would the ship's sonar techs do if they can't do their job

also does anyone have any experience doing ship-to-ship transfers? unrelated to the above but im curious how transferring to a different ship would work (or not, i guess, since about half the programs i hear about in the navy don't work at all)

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

boy are my arms tired posted:

lets say a ship's sonar system was super, duper hosed, and even casrepping the faulty parts, this hypothetical ship wouldn't see replacements until ~2024

also does anyone have any experience doing ship-to-ship transfers? unrelated to the above but im curious how transferring to a different ship would work (or not, i guess, since about half the programs i hear about in the navy don't work at all)

Sleep in corners of CIC like normal isn’t on the menu?

Real talk though Training Officers, XOs, CMCs will often work deals between ships if you want to get ojt experience and your ship ain’t doing what you need.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Real talk though Training Officers, XOs, CMCs will often work deals between ships if you want to get ojt experience and your ship ain’t doing what you need.

real techs sleep in sonar control, cipher locks and blue lights baybee

thats good i guess but three years of going to another ship once a week to do two hours of training seems bad if i wanted to be better at actual sonar, ugh. thanks

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Your chief would need to get the WEPS and XO on it. Parts can and will be expedited for poo poo like that (in my old rear end experience anyway)

Ship to ship xfer requires someone on the other ship willing to move to your ship to fill the same billet and both slots need to be covered for the same amount of time so extensions may be required.

If you just want to do a cruise on another ship while your ship is in need of serious repair you should be able to run a special request chit for a westpac or whatever. Youstafish qualified nearly 50% of its crew while it was in a major overhaul and had lots of crew replaced by putting guys on other boats for a pac.

ded fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 25, 2020

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ded posted:

Your chief would need to get the WEPS and XO on it. Parts can and will be expedited for poo poo like that (in my old rear end experience anyway)

Ship to ship xfer requires someone on the other ship willing to move to your ship to fill the same billet and both slots need to be covered for the same amount of time so extensions may be required.

If you just want to do a cruise on another ship while your ship is in need of serious repair you should be able to run a special request chit for a westpac or whatever.

we tried that, apparently the problem we're having is a problem every smallboy with this particular sonar suite is having so we're just next in a very long line, i guess

so if i were targeting a specific area, like say, leaving east coast and trying for japan or west coast or something, would i talk to my CCC? would ship to ship work with families? to different countries?

not trying to beat around the bush but my wife is japanese and her family is getting old, so im trying to move over there so her family can spend time with her and our kids before they kick the bucket. shes also pretty dang homesick and im not exactly a fan of the east coast anyways. i have a good handful of years left in VA still, tho

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Learn to squeak like a dolphin?

Oh wait you ain’t a reservist.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

we tried that, apparently the problem we're having is a problem every smallboy with this particular sonar suite is having so we're just next in a very long line, i guess

so if i were targeting a specific area, like say, leaving east coast and trying for japan or west coast or something, would i talk to my CCC? would ship to ship work with families? to different countries?

not trying to beat around the bush but my wife is japanese and her family is getting old, so im trying to move over there so her family can spend time with her and our kids before they kick the bucket. shes also pretty dang homesick and im not exactly a fan of the east coast anyways. i have a good handful of years left in VA still, tho

My experience is 20+ years ago, but if you really want to swap talk to your detailer. They should be able to give you current info.

I was on a fast attack as a sonar tech. I think we kinda had higher priority on parts. :smug:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

Learn to squeak like a dolphin?

Oh wait you ain’t a reservist.

are you still in va, lets do a burger run again

ded posted:

My experience is 20+ years ago, but if you really want to swap talk to your detailer. They should be able to give you current info.

alright cool, thanks! i'll give that a shot.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 25, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

are you still in va, lets do a burger run again

Got sent back to WA for a week. Coming back out for a week. Then sent home for two more weeks. My life is stressful.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I don't know how ships run things, but in aviation this is pretty much my main job right now as training officer. We're in the middle of a multi-year maintenance period, and I have to farm guys out to other air wings so that they can get the experience and exposure they need for their career progression. We'll send them out for specific workup exercises or a few months out on deployment. Sometimes it's a hard sell, but sometimes it works out well as they can fill shortfalls in their host squadron's manning.

It's not ideal, but it's basically all we can do when the aviation pipeline just assumes that a pilot will, at some point in their career, actually fly to a carrier.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

Got sent back to WA for a week. Coming back out for a week. Then sent home for two more weeks. My life is stressful.

thats a lot of words for "yeah burger run when i get back"

just hit me up when you got time!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

thats a lot of words for "yeah burger run when i get back"

just hit me up when you got time!

Will do

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I don't know how ships run things, but in aviation this is pretty much my main job right now as training officer. We're in the middle of a multi-year maintenance period, and I have to farm guys out to other air wings so that they can get the experience and exposure they need for their career progression. We'll send them out for specific workup exercises or a few months out on deployment. Sometimes it's a hard sell, but sometimes it works out well as they can fill shortfalls in their host squadron's manning.

It's not ideal, but it's basically all we can do when the aviation pipeline just assumes that a pilot will, at some point in their career, actually fly to a carrier.

Yeah we would often try to get people over to things like comptuex or take volunteers to deploy when we had major yard periods. Sometimes stuff like pre-insurv workups even depending on the rates needed and checks performed.

It’s always tricky to balance so you are keeping enough people for necessary work (imo prioritizing actually rate-based knowledge if it can be gained instead of the dumb poo poo like paint tiger teams to save money) but making sure people can experience actual Navy stuff and learn actual Navy work.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Michigan doesn’t have an active base so no USO but the locals in Detroit still have a pleasant little lounge inside of security for mil travels.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Yeah I mean I shoulda done quotes on it. Like when I came off an 11month (extended because dumbshits wanting to pewpew fishing boats) there was a dude at school whining about how frequently LCCs were underway. Everyone was basically like “dude, do not talk the rest of these 3 weeks”

Between long sea and anchors and entering port / pre- underway maintenance on an 50 year old steam ship, I bet the labor isnt evenly distributed. When an LCCs crew is on one of those hit 6 ports in 15 days stints I bet it's a pretty grueling tempo for certain departments.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

piL posted:

Between long sea and anchors and entering port / pre- underway maintenance on an 50 year old steam ship, I bet the labor isnt evenly distributed. When an LCCs crew is on one of those hit 6 ports in 15 days stints I bet it's a pretty grueling tempo for certain departments.

Based on what happens when anyone tries to activate decrepit ancient non-moving steamships in general...

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
When I was at 6th Fleet, I'm pretty sure deck and engineering was all done by civilians on Mt Whitney

Not sure if Blue Ridge was run the same way though

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

When I was at 6th Fleet, I'm pretty sure deck and engineering was all done by civilians on Mt Whitney

Not sure if Blue Ridge was run the same way though

I think it's just the Mt Whitney with the civmars but I have always wondered about this

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Michigan doesn’t have an active base so no USO but the locals in Detroit still have a pleasant little lounge inside of security for mil travels.

Yeah it's nice

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

I think it's just the Mt Whitney with the civmars but I have always wondered about this

https://www.msc.navy.mil/inventory/

Mt Whitney is an MSC ship on active duty with the USN with the USS designation.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

piL posted:

Yeah for sure the deck and eng folks (probably comms as well) probably bust their asses whether civmar or mil. Dude I met was someone who was a there on some random SWO billet after getting kicked out of flight school for disciplinary issues. Tbh don’t remember what his job title was but it didn’t ever sound like he let his liberty get hung up on things like whether or not the guys needed anything to support getting the ship squared away when they pulled in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

poo poo my orders changed again! Now instead of going straight to the USNS ship they are sending me to some ancient ship called the Mt Whitney for a month or more. What a bait and switch!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

poo poo my orders changed again! Now instead of going straight to the USNS ship they are sending me to some ancient ship called the Mt Whitney for a month or more. What a bait and switch!

:chiefsay: Now you can get all your basic DC quals done and be ready to start your ESWS when you hit the deck of the USNS

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

Free trip to Italy? :toot:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

That's a pretty decent place to get sidetracked to from my vague recollection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

That's a pretty decent place to get sidetracked to from my vague recollection

Yeah I’m happy about going to the ship. May only be for a few weeks but it is should be a good experience.