Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah it's not a huge deal, I was just thinking that ideally he'd be allowed some screen time, but not too much. The bus ride each way is like 90-120 minutes I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

Yeah it's not a huge deal, I was just thinking that ideally he'd be allowed some screen time, but not too much. The bus ride each way is like 90-120 minutes I think.

So, I just checked and you can use guided access (I believe it’s in accessibility) to lock an app to the screen. Set a time limit on the starting screen and store the info you need in the notes app or wherever. If you don’t count reading books as screen time, you can lock Marvin to the screen or something. Since the device won’t lock while in guided access afaik, you may also need to pack an extra battery.

Uno Venova
Jan 19, 2020
What apps do you guys use to track bills? I like Bobby, but I’d prefer if it was actually in the form of a calendar vs a list.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Uno Venova posted:

What apps do you guys use to track bills? I like Bobby, but I’d prefer if it was actually in the form of a calendar vs a list.

I use YNAB and don’t worry about when my bills come out because the money is already categorized for them. I recommend looking into that because worrying about due dates and money transfers and stuff really sucks.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Uno Venova posted:

I’m using Money Pro. The IOS app is really nice looking and the Gold sub price is roughly equivalent with YNAB

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Truebill is good. I’ve used it before, but now I prefer keeping them as a recurring list in Reminders, which I can view in the calendar using Fantastical, which can read Reminder dates.

Being able to check them off each month helps me to ensure that I don’t miss anything.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
With NuMu shutting down, is there an alternative app for tracking when new albums by specified artists are coming out?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

vote_no posted:

With NuMu shutting down, is there an alternative app for tracking when new albums by specified artists are coming out?

Music Harbor: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/musicharbor-track-new-music/id1440405750

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have an old ipad that can't install the Hulu app because it's too old. But I know for a fact that there are other apps that it can install older versions of; for instance if I install Netflix then the app store just gives me the most recent compatible version, but I guess that's because my account already had a history of installing Netflix. So I can't install older versions of apps that I've never installed on an iOS device before.

I don't have a newer iOS device, so I can't just install something on a newer device and then go install it on an older device, too.

Any suggestions for a path forward? How can I "add" the Hulu app to my account from, say, a Windows computer?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you have a friend with a modern iPhone or iPad then you can temporarily sign-in to the App Store on their device, then "Get" the Hulu app on that. Now you account will "own" it and you can download the most recent version that works on your iPad.

Yes, it's a very dumb limitation.

See also: if I'm running iOS 9 and have StupidApp v2.0 installed.
StupidApp v3.0 did run on iOS 9.
StupidApp v4.0, the current version, requires iOS 10.

I cannot update my StupidApp since the latest version requires iOS 10..
But if I delete StupidApp, then I go into My Purchases and it will let me download StupidApp v3.0.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
E: nvm

What’s a good alarm clock app? The default one is irritating in many ways (such as not being able to edit pre existing alarms)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Montalvo posted:

E: nvm

What’s a good alarm clock app? The default one is irritating in many ways (such as not being able to edit pre existing alarms)

Press “Edit” and tap the alarm.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

Press “Edit” and tap the alarm.

gently caress me

Okay, more questions—what is the purpose of the weird half-screen of emptiness that appears when I swipe down on the dock?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Montalvo posted:

gently caress me

Okay, more questions—what is the purpose of the weird half-screen of emptiness that appears when I swipe down on the dock?

Is that the reachability gesture? Makes it so that you can tap the poo poo at the top of the screen without having to fumble your phone.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

tuyop posted:

So, I just checked and you can use guided access (I believe it’s in accessibility) to lock an app to the screen. Set a time limit on the starting screen and store the info you need in the notes app or wherever. If you don’t count reading books as screen time, you can lock Marvin to the screen or something. Since the device won’t lock while in guided access afaik, you may also need to pack an extra battery.

Guided Access is weird about locking.

in iOS versions older than 12, it automatically used whatever your screen settings were as far as locking. iOS 12 would originally automatically sleep after a few minutes regardless of your settings. And from 12.1.1 on they added in a "Mirror Display Auto-Lock" setting to Guided Access, and if that's turned on it'll match whatever the screen settings are. If it's turned off, I think it'll still sleep after a few minutes.

The lock button I think is disabled by default, but if you hit the options menu within Guided Access, you can enable it. Same place you set the time limit and stuff.

We use an iPad Air as a sign-in device on the counter at work, and that original iOS 12 behavior drove us nuts until the option got added and I found out it existed.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

Is that the reachability gesture? Makes it so that you can tap the poo poo at the top of the screen without having to fumble your phone.

Ah, makes sense. I have freakishly large Sasquatch hands so I couldn’t figure out why that might be necessary.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Montalvo posted:

Ah, makes sense. I have freakishly large Sasquatch hands so I couldn’t figure out why that might be necessary.

You can disable it in Settings > Accessibility > Touch

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks friends! New to iOS here so this is all very enlightening.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Montalvo posted:

Thanks friends! New to iOS here so this is all very enlightening.

Something I’ve always found with iOS, is if I think an action might lead to something I want it to - it often does.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
They finally killed wunderlist, is there a good alternative, preferably on that does not require me to make a microsoft account.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

101 posted:

You can disable it in Settings > Accessibility > Touch

Holy poo poo thank you. I could not figure out what the hell that was or the conditions I was triggering it with.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I have an old ipad that can't install the Hulu app because it's too old. But I know for a fact that there are other apps that it can install older versions of; for instance if I install Netflix then the app store just gives me the most recent compatible version, but I guess that's because my account already had a history of installing Netflix. So I can't install older versions of apps that I've never installed on an iOS device before.

I don't have a newer iOS device, so I can't just install something on a newer device and then go install it on an older device, too.

Any suggestions for a path forward? How can I "add" the Hulu app to my account from, say, a Windows computer?

Does the old version of iTunes that still let you manage apps also still include the app store? If so, that might work to register the app to your account.

e: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

nervana posted:

They finally killed wunderlist, is there a good alternative, preferably on that does not require me to make a microsoft account.

what features do you want?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ve been using TickTick.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Todoist is good, Things is good, Omnifocus is good. Pick your poison.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Ya Ticktick is good too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

astral posted:

Does the old version of iTunes that still let you manage apps also still include the app store? If so, that might work to register the app to your account.

e: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

Thank you! I was able to use this older version of iTunes to add the Youtube app to my account and then successfully installed the last-compatible version of that on my iPad 2, that's a useful trick for older devices

But this didn't work for the Hulu app. Googling around, it looks like the issue is with Hulu, specifically; there is no longer a last-compatible version of the app for older versions of iOS. No biggie, I'll at least be able to add a few other apps with this workaround

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Is there a recommendation for a free RSS reader out there that's decent?

I know most of them are free with a cost to unlock pretty basic functionality, but I'm looking for something completely free if possible. I didn't like Flipboard, though.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 26, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I’m not sure which features you want, but I use Feedly and have no complaints (besides it not being google reader :sigh:)

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Funso Banjo posted:

I know most of them are free with a cost to unlock pretty basic functionality, but I'm looking for something completely free if possible. I didn't like Flipboard, though.

Newsify is great.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Funso Banjo posted:

The iOS version of NetNewsWire is in public beta currently but pretty drat great. Only has Feedbin and Feedly support atm though

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

I’m not sure which features you want, but I use Feedly and have no complaints (besides it not being google reader :sigh:)

I use Feedly but it’s a bit annoying because it needs to refresh before you can read old articles- so it sucks when you’re on a plane or underground train.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

nervana posted:

Depending on what you want to do, meistertask is pretty good at filling the group project infoshare role.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Mad Wack posted:

Todoist is good, Things is good, Omnifocus is good. Pick your poison.

I use Omnifocus. Also own Things. GoodTask is cool if you want to utilize Reminders.app but need GTD-like features

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

nervana posted:

I mean if you liked Wunderlist, what’s your beef with making a throwaway Microsoft account?

However the aforementioned Things, Todoist, etc are all good. Todoist is probably the most like Wunderlist in terms of functionality.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sri.Theo posted:

I use Feedly but it’s a bit annoying because it needs to refresh before you can read old articles- so it sucks when you’re on a plane or underground train.

I thought everyone these days turned their cellular service on as soon as the flight took off. Or am I the rear end in a top hat responsible for the last few fatal plane crashes?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

I thought everyone these days turned their cellular service on as soon as the flight took off. Or am I the rear end in a top hat responsible for the last few fatal plane crashes?

I want whatever cell service you have that works at 30,000ft.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

MarcusSA posted:

I want whatever cell service you have that works at 30,000ft.

I haven't used my phone extensively on planes, but once I can see Japan from my window I always turn it on. I suppose we've already descended a fair amount by then. Maybe thirty minutes until landing?

But I've also used it continuously on domestic flights here without issue. :confused:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve never had it work on Verizon or T-Mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What font installation app do I want to get? They all ask me to download and install a system profile and I’m not sure what the safety implication of that is so I’d like an app that won’t install some kind of spyware/vpn/bitcoin miner thing on my phone.