Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

wait. didn’t this morning they say he didn’t have symptoms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
are we even sure if coronavirus is real

has anyone actually seen it? and I don't mean sick people, I mean, literally, have we seen the virus under a microscope.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Minrad posted:

has anyone actually seen it? and I don't mean sick people, I mean, literally, have we seen the virus under a microscope.

they sequenced it's genome, which is how they know it's a coronavirus. you can't see viruses under visible light microscopes

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Minrad posted:

How can coronavirus be real if our eyes aren't real?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Ill Peripheral posted:

I trust that this will be an apocalyptic pandemic based on CSPAM's record of being right on Hillary 2016, Elob Musk, the economy, war in Iran, Catalan Independence, war b/w India and Pakistan and idk like anything else
if you inversed cspam's hysterical catastrophizing and bought tesla at $190 youd have nearly tripled your money lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/26/coronavirus-could-infect-100000-globally-experts-warn

quote:

About 100,000 people could be infected with the new coronavirus around the world, experts have warned, as the UK government faced calls to reassure people that the NHS is ready to deal with any British cases within days.

Prof Neil Ferguson, a public health expert at Imperial College, said his “best guess” was that there were 100,000 affected by the virus even though there are only 2,000 confirmed cases so far, mostly in the city of Wuhan in China where the virus first appeared.

“Sooner or later we will get a case,” he said. “There are very large numbers of Chinese tourists across Europe right now. Unless the Chinese manage to control this, and I’m sceptical about whether that is possible, we will get cases here.”

quote:

Jonathan Ashworth, the shadow health secretary, said: “The NHS is currently under immense strain this winter with staff already working flat out and hospitals overcrowded. We need urgent reassurance from ministers they have a plan to ensure we have capacity in place to deal with coronavirus should we need to.”

Priti Patel, the home secretary, insisted on Sunday that the government was taking “all precautions”, despite criticism it had been slow off the mark to find and give information to the thousands of people in Britain who had flown back from Wuhan in recent weeks.

quote:

But although only people with symptoms of illness spread Sars, scientists point to other diseases, such as influenza and some colds, that can be passed on by those who appear well. These viruses “are carried into the air during normal breathing and talking by the infected person”, said Prof Wendy Barclay of the department of infectious disease at Imperial College London.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

cargo cult posted:

if you inversed cspam's hysterical catastrophizing and bought tesla at $190 youd have nearly tripled your money lol

what did they predict about elon musk

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

gh0stpinballa posted:

that he was a crazy person

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Admiral Ray posted:

that he was a crazy person

kind of looks like time proved cspam right on that one then

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

gh0stpinballa posted:

that both him and tesla were on the cusp of bankruptcy

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol Brexit

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

SKULL.GIF posted:

I keep thinking about that 2 week incubation period while looking at this gif.

First-degree cases all over China began exploding right about 2 weeks after the original reported cases. About a week or so now is when we should start seeing second-degree cases becoming symptomatic across the world.

That gif is also slightly out of date given we have reports from Canada, Spain, and Russia today.
skull dot gif how extensive is your background in epidemiology

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If only they had Got Brexit Done they wouldnt have all these chinese diseases floating around

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAaoFaub1YY

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

this is only going to cause the virus to spread faster

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

day #83 of the quarantine. wuhan citizens have resorted to eating bats and fish to survive, all their other food stocks depleted. ironic...

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i am an autodidact expert on both virusology and orientalology

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i can't help but wonder about what happens when ttump catches this from a rally and, despite having access to top level care, starts making decisions under the assumption that he's dying

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cross species virus hopping with chinese characteristics.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221561497148588033

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

U-DO Burger posted:

i can't help but wonder about what happens when ttump catches this from a rally and, despite having access to top level care, starts making decisions under the assumption that he's dying

That brings up an interesting question, does his desire to be at a rally overwhelm his fear of germs.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

So when the hospitals are full are they able to confirm more cases?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i am both a schizophrenic and a haruspex and i can tell you definitively that this virus that only kills the immunocompromised will be the end of human civilization

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Not happy with my decision to read this entire thread at once

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It would be funny if this influenced the Iowa caucus from all the olds having to stay in and not vote

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

cargo cult posted:

i am both a schizophrenic and a haruspex and i can tell you definitively that this virus that only kills the immunocompromised will be the end of human civilization

1 - 3% fatality rate sucks pretty bad tbh. For ref the regular dang flu is like 0.002% fatality rate.

e: not to mention hospitalization rate. if that's like 10% then this easily overwhelms any country's healthcare system.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah for the record I don't think this will lead to Black Death, 97% of us will be just fine. I'm just having fun with it, because, like, A R0 OF FIVE POINT FORTY SEVEN HOLY LMAO

Also this has the chance to trigger the economic crash we've been posting about for years in the Doomsday Economics thread. China basically shutting down for an entire month is going to have loads of knock-on effects lol and might finally lead to all the other precarious structures crumbling down. Or it might not!

Honestly I am more concerned about economic collapse due to people panicking and deaths from people going all Purge the Unclean at this point, subject to change if it mutates to be more virulent. If anything it should serve as a reminder that regular old Influenza ain't nothing to gently caress with, to say nothing of Influenza But More Contagious.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

can we really translate mortality rates under the inferior and backwards chinese health system to the flawless and pristine american one

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah for the record I don't think this will lead to Black Death, 97% of us will be just fine. I'm just having fun with it, because, like, A R0 OF FIVE POINT FORTY SEVEN HOLY LMAO

Also this has the chance to trigger the economic crash we've been posting about for years in the Doomsday Economics thread. China basically shutting down for an entire month is going to have loads of knock-on effects lol and might finally lead to all the other precarious structures crumbling down. Or it might not!
sounds like you have no loving idea what youre talking about lol

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

can we really translate mortality rates under the inferior and backwards chinese health system to the flawless and pristine american one

*quickly does the math*

Huh, that cant be right... 118% of the population!?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Admiral Ray posted:

1 - 3% fatality rate sucks pretty bad tbh. For ref the regular dang flu is like 0.002% fatality rate.

This is horrendously oversimplistic of me, but based on what we know and how coronavirus works, we're probably gonna expect very similar outcome paths and mortality rates to community acquired pneumonia.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

though we'll see, its very very early. If its 3% in inpatient settings that's significantly under CAP.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Schnorkles posted:

This is horrendously oversimplistic of me, but based on what we know and how coronavirus works, we're probably gonna expect very similar outcome paths and mortality rates to community acquired pneumonia.

pneumonia sucks. i'm not saying it's gonna destroy civilization or anything, but it'll suck to catch it.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
the S&P 500 is gonna dip like .5% tomorrow and people will start posting about how the worker's revolt is 100% nigh

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

cargo cult posted:

the S&P 500 is gonna dip like .5% tomorrow and people will start posting about how the worker's revolt is 100% nigh

what is somethingawful if not ready for the world to end at any particular moment

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

cargo cult posted:

goon stock market takes are always great for a laugh

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Schnorkles please poll the virus

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

tbh I'm mostly worried about this increasing sinophobia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

It would be funny if this influenced the Iowa caucus from all the olds having to stay in and not vote

In another tragedy white boomer tourists take the virus home to the Phoenix metro area.