Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Captain Marvel is capable of great wisdom, but only has the knowledge bank and life experience of a relatively bright 12-year-old to draw upon.

That was my take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Captain Marvel is capable of great wisdom, but only has the knowledge bank and life experience of a relatively bright 12-year-old to draw upon.

That was my take.

But it's not like he's capable of the strength of Hercules but only has the muscle mass of a relatively active 12-year old.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Skwirl posted:

But it's not like he's capable of the strength of Hercules but only has the muscle mass of a relatively active 12-year old.

Well, no, but see upthread re: the difference between intelligence and wisdom. For the sake of discussion, wisdom is the ability to synthesize available information and make the best possible choice.

Strength seems like a less ambiguous metric: you can either lift as much as Hercules or you can't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Well, no, but see upthread re: the difference between intelligence and wisdom. For the sake of discussion, wisdom is the ability to synthesize available information and make the best possible choice.

Strength seems like a less ambiguous metric: you can either lift as much as Hercules or you can't.

Yeah, but it's also magic.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but it's also magic.

Yep.

I was just trying to no-prize the gaps between the definition of wisdom, the fact that Solomon ostensibly stopped adding to his body of knowledge in Old Testament times, and that Captain Marvel isn't, like, terrified of street lights or whatever.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Billy Batson thought it was cool to date Courtney Whitmore in a grown-up's body. Captain Marvel realized it was creepy.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There is only so much great wisdom can be applied in a comic book where getting in to a fight is going to be the result of most interactions the character happens to have.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are any of the Harley Quinn books any good? been reading the New52 one and it's pretty mediocre.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

radlum posted:

Are any of the Harley Quinn books any good? been reading the New52 one and it's pretty mediocre.

Her original ongoing is pretty good for the fist 2 years or so if memory serves.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
“Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass” is cute.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it is in fact very good

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, great creative team, great story, and probably the one interpretation of the Joker I've had any patience for whatsoever since Mark Hamil's. It's lovely.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I want to check out this new Quantum & Woody that's coming out Wednesday since Hastings is writing it. Do I need to know anything about the series before this? Do they tie in with the larger Valiant universe?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm getting that X-Men Children of the Atom box set and it collects up to issue 143, then the Uncanny X-men omnibus vol 3 starts at issue 154. Where are issues 144-153 collected? It ain't Uncanny X-men omnibus vol 2 because that one only goes up to 141. Is that part of some other storyline that got collected elsewhere?

VVVV thanks, dumb mistake on my part VVVV

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 27, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm getting that X-Men Children of the Atom box set and it collects up to issue 143, then the Uncanny X-men omnibus vol 3 starts at issue 154. Where are issues 144-153 collected? It ain't Uncanny X-men omnibus vol 2 because that one only goes up to 141. Is that part of some other storyline that got collected elsewhere?

This

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...k-xmen-guide-20

Says it's got 132-153, it just gets broken up at 141 because there's an annual in the middle.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
When/where did whoreswhoreswhores starting being used as a meme to describe Frank Miller's work?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Doctor Spaceman posted:

When/where did whoreswhoreswhores starting being used as a meme to describe Frank Miller's work?

February 7, 2006.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Born Again and Sin City.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Born Again and Sin City.

And Batman: Year One, with Selina.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I know why the meme exists, I just was curious about who started it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think it was that comic about the guys working in a toy store? The one that was super pandering to its audience.

Short Packed, I think.

Yeah it was Short Packed.

https://shortpacked.com/comic/whores

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 31, 2020

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
don't worry, DivineCoffeeBinge, I saw your post and I thought it was funny and helpful

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cubone posted:

don't worry, DivineCoffeeBinge, I saw your post and I thought it was funny and helpful

I gave the date and everything! :(

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sorry I am programmed not to respond to Spider-men in hard hats.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I gave the date and everything! :(

It was a good post. :sympathy:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What is the best of the New 52 stuff?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

I liked Grant Morrison's Action Comics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bessantj posted:

There's honestly quite a bit of good stuff. The main complaints about the N52 was that a lot of fan-favourite titles got unceremoniously cancelled and wiped from canon and that a few new titles completely stank.

But (from stuff I've read) you've still got things like Tomasi, Morrison and Snyder on various Batman titles, Azz on Wonder Woman, Demon Knights, Dial H, Morrison on Action and then later on Grayson, Prez, Lemire's Green Arrow, etc..

Then later on in the N52 there were things like Grayson, Prez, Lemire's Green Arrow, etc.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 4, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Morrison was on Grayson?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Morrison was on Grayson?

Urgh I phrased that terribly, thanks. That's what I get for posting without coffee.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the answers. Was New 52 from 2011-2016?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the answers. Was New 52 from 2011-2016?

Sort of. They changed the branding to DCYou in 2015 and introduced a wave of new titles. It represented a slight change of focus but it wasn't the kind of big rebranding / redirection that Rebirth was a year later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Urgh I phrased that terribly, thanks. That's what I get for posting without coffee.

That's fine, I'd only read the first trade and thought maybe he came on later or something.

I liked the first trade by the way, my library just didn't have the second one last time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

All the weird poo poo. Check out I, Vampire along with stuff already mentioned. The further from Justice League level characters you get, the better the comic, generally speaking. Pretty much all the Dark line was good, except for Justice League Dark. Swamp Thing and Animal Man are amazing, and I think our complaints about the Grey crossover taking too long is negated by having everything right there to read through instead of waiting month to month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GMo's Action, Azz's WW, Snyder's Batman. Those are the standouts. I remember Flash being okay at the start and Green Areow being poo poo. 8 books were canceled by #8 and like 20 others had creative teams shuffled constantly. The New 52 was a goddamned mess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Flash was okay writing-wise but the art kicked rear end.

Manapul did this thing where he'd work the story title into the art and I loving loved it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lemire’s Green Arrow was fun, and I liked a lot of the smaller books, like Dial H and the Frankenstein one.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fallen Rib
I'm going second, third and fourth I, Vampire - beautiful art and a fun (mostly) self contained story. Demon Knights was also a lot of fun for the first two arcs but don't bother wants Cornell leaves the book. Snyder's Batman run is mostly top tear stuff too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think new 52 had more interesting stuff going on than rebirth did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the other suggestions. I've been meaning to read Animal Man, it looks good but I've never bothered.