Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/Santucci/status/1221596289651167232

rudy admits its all loving true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mulveney admitted it was true from the White House podium.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

False and irresponsible barges?

Is Bolton running a shady shipping company?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Charlz Guybon posted:

False and irresponsible barges?

Is Bolton running a shady shipping company?

Fraud Guaranteed Shipping Co.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I like the Oxen-Free motivation at play here. If you come cleanish before the Senate acquits then it's not YOUR fault, it's theirs.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Amazing. I don't know how the GOP gets around not calling witnesses now. They'll still try

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oxsnard posted:

Amazing. I don't know how the GOP gets around not calling witnesses now. They'll still try

Every gop member will vote against calling witnesses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oxsnard posted:

The GOP suffers literally no consequences for anything they do so it doesn't really matter. Not a single Republican actually cares about anything but their team winning.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1221606104754421760

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Odds are good Republicans rush to subpoena Bolton just to try to discredit him?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Zwabu posted:

They don't routinely poll impeachment on all Presidents unless they're getting impeached or have some big scandal.

Yeah I don’t recall any serious push to impeach Bush. I’m sure some back bencher rep filed articles that didn’t even get taken up in committee to talk tough back home. But besides that I don’t recall anything else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Odds are good Republicans rush to subpoena Bolton just to try to discredit him?

who knows. i think alot of the purple/blue state Rs know they have jack and poo poo for cover and new openly incriminating poo poo keeps coming out. sure many of them probably dont care what he did but they know that a fuckton of the country does and the more obvious they make his acquittal. the more hosed they could be.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I feel like Charlie/Lucy with the football but if this doesn't peel off Romney and such I can't really think what really would and they really will just keep supporting him until he's out of power

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

terrorist ambulance posted:

I feel like Lucy with the football but if this doesn't peel off Romney and such I can't really think what really would and they really will just keep supporting him until he's out of power

romney has already said he's "very likely" to vote for witnesses like, yesterday. his vote is basically won already.

collins, lamar alexander, and murkowski are probably the big remainders (assuming Ernst and Gardner and Tillis are 1000% on the Trump Train despite being extremely vulnerable, which is what they've been signalling)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

romney has already said he's "very likely" to vote for witnesses like, yesterday. his vote is basically won already.

collins, lamar alexander, and murkowski are probably the big remainders (assuming Ernst and Gardner and Tillis are 1000% on the Trump Train despite being extremely vulnerable, which is what they've been signalling)

yeah. that also means machin will probably vote for it too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
IDK why the Republicans don't want to call the witnesses... This stuff is all going to come out and they are going to acquit him no matter what the witnesses say. The only thing calling witnesses does is deprive the D's of the talking point that they refused to call witnesses.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

IDK why the Republicans don't want to call the witnesses... This stuff is all going to come out and they are going to acquit him no matter what the witnesses say. The only think calling witnesses does is deprive the D's of the talking people that they refused to call witnesses.

i think there's a pretty easy answer: trump is insane, and republicans think that if they allow witnesses, they're going to have to constantly try to stop (and maybe have to vote down) him from having his attorneys call Hillary or whatever

there's no scenario where dems get to call the limited, completely relevant list they've asked for, that Trump doesn't go completely nuts. at that point, all bets are off

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

eke out posted:

i think there's a pretty easy answer: trump is insane, and republicans think that if they allow witnesses, they're going to have to constantly try to stop (and maybe have to vote down) him from having his attorneys call Hillary or whatever

there's no scenario where dems get to call the limited, completely relevant list they've asked for, that Trump doesn't go completely nuts. at that point, all bets are off

I think Trump would try to call Joe and Hunter Biden and the whistle blower. And all three are going to be election issues no matter if they are called or not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

yeah, either hurts the GOP pretty bad. either they are out and out moral cowards and let trump off right away or it turns into a giant circus and all the poo poo comes out than and than they acquitted him and look like dumb monsters.

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1221614758228582401

that seems big.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 27, 2020

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

IDK why the Republicans don't want to call the witnesses... This stuff is all going to come out and they are going to acquit him no matter what the witnesses say. The only thing calling witnesses does is deprive the D's of the talking point that they refused to call witnesses.

Calling for it is betraying Hair Furor. That makes you one of the bad people outside of the cult and therefore a target. They've totally yoked themselves to the Anger Mango because the rabid base will crucify them if they do anything except sing his praises constantly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Calling for it is betraying Hair Furor. That makes you one of the bad people outside of the cult and therefore a target. They've totally yoked themselves to the Anger Mango because the rabid base will crucify them if they do anything except sing his praises constantly.

I guess any vote that "democrats want" is going to be considered a betrayal of their dear leader but they are all going to vote to acquit him anyway....

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that seems big.
This is the same McCain-styled "very concern" bullshit they always roll with. An 11:45 press statement that it's troubling and a 3:15 followup saying it's not changing anyone's mind.

Man I just want some dirt to peel off on McConnell, like Rudy going "Mitch was in the room he knew it was ok!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Orange Devil posted:

If the American people ever do (re?)assert control over their own government, the crucially important question will be whether or not they realize that it is corporations who have murdered every shred of democracy that previously existed.

This is one of the most succinct things I've read in some time that really sums up our situation,

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

More tales from the ground, I had a chance to talk politics with my dad, a lifelong military-first and fiscal conservative, and Fox News got him to think that Mattis resigning was actually because he was a lot more timid and risk adverse than we needed him to be, not because Trump and his cabal are insane people and Mattis didn’t respect them. Like he was honestly arguing with me about how Mattis wasn’t cut out to be Def. Sec. and Trump and his team knew better about what needed to be done.

God I hope the majority in these polls is actually spread into swing states because every time I talk to these people I just get more affirmation that nothing he can do is ever wrong - they fundamentally will not believe what he does was impeachable even if Bolton or whoever comes out and said the aid was explicitly to expose dirt for 2020. They’ll just equate it to Biden somehow and point to number go up

e: meant this for USPOL but still impeachment related so imma leave it here

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 27, 2020

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

https://twitter.com/markszaidesq/status/1221625752376041473?s=21

That's a pretty drat good point. Interesting that this dropped the day before the defense resumes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FilthyImp posted:

This is the same McCain-styled "very concern" bullshit they always roll with. An 11:45 press statement that it's troubling and a 3:15 followup saying it's not changing anyone's mind.

Man I just want some dirt to peel off on McConnell, like Rudy going "Mitch was in the room he knew it was ok!"

Mitch is saved from these things by sheer laziness. He doesn't go to things, he doesn't DO things, he just sucks in money and kills bills. He won't get wrapped in any scandal that doesn't happen in his office

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ascii genitals posted:

That's a pretty drat good point. Interesting that this dropped the day before the defense resumes.

Everyone who ever gloms onto Trump winds up hosed over somehow eventually, but this point just never seems to get through to the next generation of absolute morons who decides that they are the ones that Trump will be loyal to and won't somehow destroy with his +50 moronic aura of life destroying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

empty whippet box posted:

Everyone who ever gloms onto Trump winds up hosed over somehow eventually, but this point just never seems to get through to the next generation of absolute morons who decides that they are the ones that Trump will be loyal to and won't somehow destroy with his +50 moronic aura of life destroying.

Its kind of amazing he can find lawyers willing to throw themselves under the bus for him.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

eke out posted:

Yeah, they're literally just hoping the whole thing holds together through the next week. Because once that's done they probably figure Parnas or Bolton or whoever can start carpetbombing bombshells every day, and they can just do the Senate decorum equivalent of calling no do-overs--the House is responsible for doing the investigation, they should've done a better job, whatever--and hope it more or less simmers down in a couple weeks exactly like the Mueller poo poo did.

And, you know, if the new material is going to happen anyway then there's zero motivation to make a move now in anticipation of it. Because very few people are going to change their votes for Senator based entirely on the observation that their Senator got out in front of public opinion on this issue. Like I'm sure there's somebody that would feel that way, but most people are just going to care about where they end up on the issue. Not specifically that their Senator is the lone brave soul that blazed the trail or whatever.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

Mitch is saved from these things by sheer laziness. He doesn't go to things, he doesn't DO things, he just sucks in money and kills bills. He won't get wrapped in any scandal that doesn't happen in his office

His wife is Trump's transport secretary, she got a lot of kickbacks from the same Russians who buy Trump's apartments. The Senate Leadership PAC (which is controlled by Mitch) also gets a lot of money from the same Russians who buy Trump's apartments.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SubG posted:

Yeah, they're literally just hoping the whole thing holds together through the next week. Because once that's done they probably figure Parnas or Bolton or whoever can start carpetbombing bombshells every day, and they can just do the Senate decorum equivalent of calling no do-overs--the House is responsible for doing the investigation, they should've done a better job, whatever--and hope it more or less simmers down in a couple weeks exactly like the Mueller poo poo did.

And, you know, if the new material is going to happen anyway then there's zero motivation to make a move now in anticipation of it. Because very few people are going to change their votes for Senator based entirely on the observation that their Senator got out in front of public opinion on this issue. Like I'm sure there's somebody that would feel that way, but most people are just going to care about where they end up on the issue. Not specifically that their Senator is the lone brave soul that blazed the trail or whatever.

I think they are hoping the thing holds together but it doesn't look like it will. Something tells me there is going to be bomb after bomb all week. Trump has made enemies and several that are holding cards in this. The GOP Senators are stuck in a bad position now where much of their cover is gone. They will be forced to bring in witnesses and evidence which will blow things wide open, granted kicking and screaming.

What is the question who will be the first GOP Senator to break? Being first to break will give some benefit, maybe not enough for someone is a tough race to get re-elected and I frankly wouldn't expect any of them to do so. It would be someone in a super safe seat and them breaking will mean something, that means not Romney. Someone like a Thune, Risch, Portman or Burr. The likelihood of any of them losing their seat is slim, it is a long enough time until they are up for re-election that any heat they may take in the short term would be gone and it puts them in a solid position for the future.

I will say that none of this will be good for anyone that has put their eggs in Trump's basket. Lindsey Graham especially is going to get shelled, he might survive by the skin of his teeth due to it being South Carolina but it won't be pretty.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how is that book? i never bought any of the "inside trumps presidency" books.

A Very Stable Genius was written by Pulitzer prize-winning investigative Washington Post reporters, so it can be trusted a lot more than a book written by someone Trump fired who's trying to cover his rear end. I found it to be very good.

Slowpoke! posted:

Imagine reading a Trump book and the due to the lag between writing, editing, publishing, and reading, the book’s big reveals are not just public knowledge, but overshadowed by next month’s major scandal.

Like imagine thinking you were going to write a book about the Mueller investigation and by the time you’re done he is impeached for Ukraine and we are at war with Iran. Nobody is going to want to read about Mueller.

True, books like this can't cover everything that Trump has done up to the date they were published, but it does gives you a more complete oversight of what has taken place and includes new information. Even if someone reads the news every day there will be things that they missed.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

ascii genitals posted:

Have Trump's attorneys been saying "the Managers have shown us no direct evidence of QPQ" or have they been saying "there IS no direct evidence of QPQ"?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I read the Anonymous book mostly because I was intrigued by a less varnished view of the inner workings of the White House. It was a short read and whoever actually wrote the thing can write and has a good grasp of history. It still is trying to cover the rear end of the people who worked there though.

I have tried to read a couple of the others but you run into two issues generally with any book written during a presidency. Those written by reporters no matter how hard they try end up like an extended expose. After awhile you just grow bored with it since it is so dry and disconnected. Those written by former workers end up being half self-mastubatory and half covering their rear end while trying to perform a hit job on those they have issues with.

You generally have to wait until after the presidency to get anything decent and often many years after the fact. With Trump we'll likely have good books for years since you will have bozos running to blab what happened to them. Historians will have a field day.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Slowpoke! posted:

Imagine reading a Trump book and the due to the lag between writing, editing, publishing, and reading, the book’s big reveals are not just public knowledge, but overshadowed by next month’s major scandal.

Like imagine thinking you were going to write a book about the Mueller investigation and by the time you’re done he is impeached for Ukraine and we are at war with Iran. Nobody is going to want to read about Mueller.

I want the insider tale of the great Alabama Hurricane of 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I’m shocked the Swiss brained gently caress is going out of his way to deny it. He must really be worried.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't trust my ability to judge anything anymore. Bolton writing down "Trump did the crime" in a book is loving crazy, right? This has to kind of be a big deal

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lemming posted:

I don't trust my ability to judge anything anymore. Bolton writing down "Trump did the crime" in a book is loving crazy, right? This has to kind of be a big deal

I’m tentatively hopeful this is the one that cracks the floodgates since it’s happening during the trial and trump can’t handwave Bolton away as a coffee gopher he’s met once.

But I also thought the stormy daniels pay-off would be a much bigger deal. He paid off a porn star affair with hush money from his campaign. Barely moved the needle.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

red19fire posted:

I’m tentatively hopeful this is the one that cracks the floodgates since it’s happening during the trial and trump can’t handwave Bolton away as a coffee gopher he’s met once.

But I also thought the stormy daniels pay-off would be a much bigger deal. He paid off a porn star affair with hush money from his campaign. Barely moved the needle.

We left needle moving territory 3 years ago. This is all team sports now, with the implications for social stability that brings.

This stuff doesn't move the needle. What it does do is increase the temperature. In other words, all this poo poo isn't ever going to change anyones mind or team, but it is going to make us angrier. 4 years of righteous anger come November. Legacy of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mcmagic posted:

I’m shocked the Swiss brained gently caress is going out of his way to deny it. He must really be worried.

Big burn on the Swiss out of nowhere

:sweden:

(I know)