Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Whoever mentioned Contagion, thank you now I have a case of the heebie-jeebies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Lol, I ordered some n95 masks couple of weeks ago because I was worried about smoke from some possible fires in the future after browsing the Australian thread. Now Amazon is already out of stock of most masks and they just jacked up the prices on the other masks that are left

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Luckyellow posted:

Lol, I ordered some n95 masks couple of weeks ago because I was worried about smoke from some possible fires in the future after browsing the Australian thread. Now Amazon is already out of stock of most masks and they just jacked up the prices on the other masks that are left

you can use a pair of underwear in a pinch

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

you can use a pair of underwear in a pinch

Do they have to be clean

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

EngineerJoe posted:

Whoever mentioned Contagion, thank you now I have a case of the heebie-jeebies.

You could watch Outbreak and see Kevin Spacey die a painful death.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Do they have to be clean

god i hope not

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

RandomBlue posted:

You could watch Outbreak and see Kevin Spacey die a painful death.

*drops heavy pile of papers loudly on desk* We’re in deep loving poo poo, Harry!!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

TOOT BOOT posted:

Do they have to be clean

I'd imagine if they were all munged up with taint butter or quim sauce that they'd filter even better.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
The reusables are still in stock for some reason

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

bob dobbs is dead posted:

The reusables are still in stock for some reason

i usually wear my underwear for a week and then toss them

are you saying theres another way

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Do they have to be clean

It's better if they're not, it's the Mr Burns theory of immunology

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

TOOT BOOT posted:

Do they have to be clean

it's better if they aren't. the native bacteria and viruses will protect their turf and beat the poo poo out of any random visitor. just because Wuhan is the cool new kid on the block doesn't make it the big dog in the jock.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I worked ina daycare for a while and they’d punish you nice and hard for calling in sick. You have a fever? gently caress you, you’re getting it good unless you come in and spread it to the 12 infants you work with.

I’m a public school teacher now and they’d love to be able to do that but they understand that there’d be a PR shitstorm, thankfully. Local news outlets would love to run “IS YOUR FIRST GRADER SICK? MAYBE IT’S THE DISTRICT’S FAULT” stories.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
BBC says over 300 in critical condition

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51259649

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
As an old one thing is different than before

(Adjusts glasses)
Now that we all carry cell phones which most of us don't sanitize because gently caress I paid 800 bucks for it, can't get it wet..

That fact alone would make some of us sick. I wash my hands 30 times a shift at work and handle my dirty phone all day. I think this huge change would matter in an epidemic.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

drat those police are quick

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011

pnumoman posted:

The poster clearly doesn't understand that the death toll isn't the only measure of a crisis.

Well I'm not an authority on that, but the WHO kinda is and didn't declare an international crisis. They did point out, and I agree, that people should keep an eye out on this virus and take steps where appropriate. Just as China is doing.

The death toll is a figure readily available. Both for the yearly influenza and the Wuhan coronavirus. Infection rate is harder to come by, since many patients just ride out the disease .

I'd like a source on how many of the infected have to receive ICU treatment to survive. Half? Third? Quarter? One in twenty? That'd give indication of a crisis, not that wild speculation on the total number of ICU beds in China.

Basically, when I see data to be worried about I'll worry. Lacking that, online speculation and sensationalist news articles only make me frustrated.

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011
WebMD has some numbers on the US flu season so far. Expect inaccuracies, but maybe the magnitudes are correct:

So far: 13 million illnesses, 120,000 hospitalizations (no mention if these are ICU), 6,600 dead. This hasn't made headlines in international news, but the new coronavirus has. The flu is not closing down public transport, theme parks and movie theaters.

Sure, great that peeps take steps to curb a new disease. Boo to the media for making a huge deal out of it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Wheezer posted:

WebMD has some numbers on the US flu season so far. Expect inaccuracies, but maybe the magnitudes are correct:

So far: 13 million illnesses, 120,000 hospitalizations (no mention if these are ICU), 6,600 dead. This hasn't made headlines in international news, but the new coronavirus has. The flu is not closing down public transport, theme parks and movie theaters.

Sure, great that peeps take steps to curb a new disease. Boo to the media for making a huge deal out of it.

Youd make a good CCP whatabouter.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I also don't put any stock in "the WHO know what they're doing, so if they're not panicking I'm not panicking". The WHO added Traditional Chinese Medicine, which is not evidence based or grounded in cell theory, to its global compendium. To me that reeks of Chinese government influence and interference, almost certainly in the way of funding. Meanwhile they continue to block Taiwanese participation in the WHO. It all demonstrates a long tradition of the WHO capitulating to the demands of the Chinese government, often times putting lives at risk for strictly political reasons.

So when a new virus breaks out in China and everyone has been saying forever that it is almost certainly transmitting human-to-human but China denied it vehemently before it was literally impossible to do so anymore and only then started to act, yeah I'm a little skeptical when the WHO says, "Nah, nothing to worry about."

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Ah yes the failing new york times is making a big deal out of this, not the government thats quarantining cities of 20m.

Also the difference between a novel virus and a virus thats been with mankind since time immemorial might be why people are concerned

Despera fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 27, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Wheezer posted:

Well I'm not an authority on that, but the WHO kinda is and didn't declare an international crisis. They did point out, and I agree, that people should keep an eye out on this virus and take steps where appropriate. Just as China is doing.

The death toll is a figure readily available. Both for the yearly influenza and the Wuhan coronavirus. Infection rate is harder to come by, since many patients just ride out the disease .

I'd like a source on how many of the infected have to receive ICU treatment to survive. Half? Third? Quarter? One in twenty? That'd give indication of a crisis, not that wild speculation on the total number of ICU beds in China.

Basically, when I see data to be worried about I'll worry. Lacking that, online speculation and sensationalist news articles only make me frustrated.

Of the 1st forty one cases, 100% developed pneumonia and 15% died.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Wheezer posted:

Even if this new virus is exactly transmissible and exactly as lethal as the current flu virus, the lack of a vaccine means that it will spread wider and to more vulnerable people and healthcare providers.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Spinz posted:

That fact alone would make some of us sick. I wash my hands 30 times a shift at work and handle my dirty phone all day. I think this huge change would matter in an epidemic.

Huh... That's an interesting point.

Everyone uses their phone on the crapper.

You can sanitize the gently caress out of your hands after and even open the door with a paper towel, but you're still going to be poking the entertainment/communication rectangle in a few minutes.

Then it's time to shake hands or make food!

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Charlz Guybon posted:

Of the 1st forty one cases, 100% developed pneumonia and 15% died.

Yeah it's almost like people are trying to downplay this because they are freaked out

15% mortality rate, 50+ million people quarantined, spreading 3x to 5x faster than normal flu.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Largest country on earth is shutting itself down = No Big Deal

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Symptoms of the first 41 patients

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

quote:

41 admitted hospital patients had been identified as having laboratory-confirmed 2019-nCoV infection. Most of the infected patients were men (30 [73%] of 41); less than half had underlying diseases (13 [32%]), including diabetes (eight [20%]), hypertension (six [15%]), and cardiovascular disease (six [15%]). Median age was 49·0 years (IQR 41·0–58·0). 27 (66%) of 41 patients had been exposed to Huanan seafood market. One family cluster was found. Common symptoms at onset of illness were fever (40 [98%] of 41 patients), cough (31 [76%]), and myalgia or fatigue (18 [44%]); less common symptoms were sputum production (11 [28%] of 39), headache (three [8%] of 38), haemoptysis (two [5%] of 39), and diarrhoea (one [3%] of 38). Dyspnoea developed in 22 (55%) of 40 patients (median time from illness onset to dyspnoea 8·0 days [IQR 5·0–13·0]). 26 (63%) of 41 patients had lymphopenia. All 41 patients had pneumonia with abnormal findings on chest CT. Complications included acute respiratory distress syndrome (12 [29%]), RNAaemia (six [15%]), acute cardiac injury (five [12%]) and secondary infection (four [10%]). 13 (32%) patients were admitted to an ICU and six (15%) died. Compared with non-ICU patients, ICU patients had higher plasma levels of IL2, IL7, IL10, GSCF, IP10, MCP1, MIP1A, and TNFα.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spinz posted:

As an old one thing is different than before

(Adjusts glasses)
Now that we all carry cell phones which most of us don't sanitize because gently caress I paid 800 bucks for it, can't get it wet..

My friend did you know that most smart phones are waterproof, and have been for years?

That alone doesn't get people to sanitize their phones but if you upgrade your ancient flip phone then you totally can if you want to

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

*and diarrhoea (one [3%] of 38)*

At least we probably won’t poo poo ourselves to death

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Keep in mind, this is a group of people that were already admitted to the hospital with what was, at the time, some kind of weird unidentified viral pneumonia.

This is scary and all, but it's not "if you get it, 32% chance you have to go to the ICU and 16% chance you're dead" scary.

quote:

Further studies in outpatient, primary care, or community settings are needed to get a full picture of the spectrum of clinical severity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wheezer posted:

Per your numbers, the flu season has had a mortality rate of 0.05% with most people just recovering in bed normally. You are comparing these to a mortality rate that's more than 100x higher, coupled with about a 30% likelihood of needing an ICU for more than a week

Granted, the statistical uncertainty is a lot larger this early in the outbreak, but by all accounts the symptoms are a lot more severe than seasonal flu. Could... that be why China is quarantining entire cities???

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 27, 2020

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Despera posted:

Largest country on earth is shutting itself down = No Big Deal

Correct. What's more important is the death of Kobe Bryant and his daughters. God bless America.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Mortality of admitted people is not the same as mortality of infected. We don’t know how many infected didn’t go to the hospital and recovered without intervention.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Holyshoot posted:

Correct. What's more important is the death of Kobe Bryant and his daughters. God bless America.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

In the end Oregon Trail kills us all.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Equivalent to the population of Italy on lock down. No big deal
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1221651024420753408

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Per your numbers, the flu season has had a mortality rate of 0.05% with most people just recovering in bed normally. You are comparing these to a mortality that's more than 100x higher, coupled with about a 30% likelihood of needing an ICU for more than a week

Granted, the statistical uncertainty is a lot larger this early in the outbreak, but by all accounts the symptoms are a lot more severe than seasonal flu. Could... that be why China is quarantining entire cities???

I responded to you saying that mortality is not the only measure of severity. Those figures allow us to compare the scale of the infection to flu. Note that the flu season is a major health issue which pretty much goes unreported.

To make my position clear:
Yes, the new coronavirus is scarier than your average flu.
No, nothing so far makes me panic. The scale just isn't there - a few thousand are sick and even if only a third of cases is reported, that's still pretty small compared to the population in the area.
No, I don't trust statistics coming out of China.
Yes, Traditional Chinese Medicine is bullshit. Mao's regime started promoting it during the 60's when no western medicine was available in China - stamping various snake oil treatments traditional makes things worse, not better.
And maybe, maybe China is right in quarantining Wuhan and taking other action.
Ultimately, the media is making a huge deal out of a disease which doesn't deserve it. I'll change my position as new data becomes available, but I'm not stocking up on rice and water on my way to the face mask store quite yet.

And don't loving put me in the same camp as the CCP. My opinion on the Chinese government isn't the point of this thread though.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Calm down Beavis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

kazr posted:

Calm down Beavis

He is Coronholio