Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

HD DAD posted:

I need gay space communism because I want a creative platform that doesn’t immediately get overrun by shills min-maxing its algorithms for profit.

sounds like someone just doesn't have the lobes for business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like rlm as mindless entertainment, I don't take them seriously

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Seriously. It's fun listening to those guys roast bad movies, but I don't understand why so much stock is put in their actual opinions.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Epicurius posted:

I don't think I've ever sat through one of their reviews.

I still like their reviews of the Star Wars prequels. Those are funny as hell.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Seriously. It's fun listening to those guys roast bad movies, but I don't understand why so much stock is put in their actual opinions.

They were Right About The Prequels and have been coasting on that in people's psyche's for about 10 years now. They're great when they're zinging z-grade shlock, but I've long since lost interest in them being performatively disappointed in [Pop Culture Thing]. Turns out an actual near-death experience makes one realize they have better things to do with their time than wallow in someone else's misery vicariously. Who knew.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also anyone who thinks that a funny framing device is a guy who murders women is, like hosed. Lol it's just a joke that a woman is being tortured in the basement, lighten up!

Picard's Federation is the US without the Soviet Union, it has no big enemy to fight. Unlike in the TOS->TNG era where the galaxy was at peace, this galaxy is one that is a smoking ruin that the Federation is the sole standing empire. It's going to be paranoid as gently caress, even if on the surface everything is all right. As someone else mentioned, those that are running the show are officers who came up during the wars, and even if they may hold Federation Values at heart, they see those outside of the Federation as not worth their time. Picard had to shame them and probably used up whatever political capital he had to get them to act. As Picard straight up says "lives", he's not going to let old hatreds cloud his morality.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The Utopia Planitia shipyards are, I always presumed, at Utopia Planitia on Mars. They're not called the 'Mars orbital shipyards.' I took the orbital parts to be the last step.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

People tend to bring up the evil admirals but I do tend to feel like there's a major thematic difference between 'The Federation has bad actors that we must guard against in order to preserve our society's values' vs 'The Federation itself has become rotten.'

ashpanash posted:

The Utopia Planitia shipyards are, I always presumed, at Utopia Planitia on Mars. They're not called the 'Mars orbital shipyards.' I took the orbital parts to be the last step.

The Earth orbital fleet yards are called the San Francisco Fleet Yards, I think most of the stuff is in orbit, they're just named for the controlling centre. But you're right that there are definitely major surface facilities at Utopia Planitia.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

We don't know that the Federation has 'become rotten,' either. We have bits and clues and a general idea that the Federation (or at the very least, Starfleet) has turned inward.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ashpanash posted:

Building large ships would be easier in Zero G.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Building large ships would be easier in Zero G.

Counterpoint: Star Trek physics has little to do with real physics

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

adaz posted:

Yeah they didn't exist even in the dominion war -- the siege of AR-558 the soldiers were just addressed as LT etc. Basically those forces became red shirts and rip

They instead used army vs navy ranks for the Bajoran Militia, with Kira being a Major and then Colonel before finally getting a Starfleet commission.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Delthalaz posted:

Now I didn't write Star Trek Picard and if the RLM guys are right in their predictions yet more revenge superweapon horse poo poo then this is absolute garbage. But if this is show is anything like I hope it will be, the message is going to be: the trial never ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvDWtCM_ch8

My body is always ready to hear that sweet sweet voice again
"Mon Capitan".
Man I want it sooo bad I don't even want to watch any criticism now and really hope its not going to be that predictable

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AntherUslessPoster posted:

My body is always ready to hear that sweet sweet voice again
"Mon Capitan".
Man I want it sooo bad I don't even want to watch any criticism now and really hope its not going to be that predictable

People have being going apeshit online for months now over a blurry on-set photo of a red leather glove peeking out from around the corner of a wall... so be careful what you wish for.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I would shoot waves and waves of cum if Q showed up.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I like rlm more than most here and yeah that Picard review was poo poo. Rich Evans deciding that the Romulan were building the Borg cube (??!?) and Mike saying he did t know what was going on at all. Both of them claim to be big fans. They desperately want Star Trek to just be tng again. Forever. Never anything new. New cinematography? Bad. Better sets? Bad. People acting like humans and not weird roddenbury pretend humans? Bad. Fight choreography? Bad. I get it. We all want 30 years of our lives back. To go back to the 90’s. But they wallow in it unashamedly. This isn’t my Star Trek when I was thinner and had more hair!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If Q does show up I hope they don't de-age him like Data and just have old rear end man John De Lancie appear as is with his beard intact and have Picard go "Oh, so pretending to be God wasn't enough for you? Now you want to look like him too?"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i love my fat data son

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

If Q does show up I hope they don't de-age him like Data and just have old rear end man John De Lancie appear as is with his beard intact and have Picard go "Oh, so pretending to be God wasn't enough for you? Now you want to look like him too?"

Naaaa, he SHOULD appear like we saw him last, young and fit. Next we see deep surprise (and mild shock expression) in Picards eyes and De Lancie abruptly goes 'oh sorry' and transforms into his current real life appearance with 'you feel better now, Jean Luc?' smirk :D

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It is a funny thing with Q is that he specifically chooses his appearances with whoever he's appearing to in mind, even if he doesn't always get the idea right. (and of course, it's impossible to tell just how much he's taking the piss at any given time) He usually appears as what whoever he's talking to would recognise as an equal or superior.

Given the emphasis on Data's legacy, they might even have some room for conversation; Q has taken an open interest in humanity's potential and development, and the development of synthetics by humans seems like a clear parallel.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

I like rlm more than most here and yeah that Picard review was poo poo. Rich Evans deciding that the Romulan were building the Borg cube (??!?) and Mike saying he did t know what was going on at all. Both of them claim to be big fans. They desperately want Star Trek to just be tng again. Forever. Never anything new. New cinematography? Bad. Better sets? Bad. People acting like humans and not weird roddenbury pretend humans? Bad. Fight choreography? Bad. I get it. We all want 30 years of our lives back. To go back to the 90’s. But they wallow in it unashamedly. This isn’t my Star Trek when I was thinner and had more hair!

I thought their review was unnecessarily harsh and nitpicky in places but I don't think most people who are weary of the setting and the story beats so far just want to go back to the 90's. One thing they're right about is that we've effectively seen the first 10 minutes of a movie and it's still early to judge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, 175 new posts and a third of it is about those loving glasses.

Mods, can that discussion be bannable now? For fucks sake.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Their Star Trek cred died when Mike didn't like The Orville because "it was too much like TNG." What the gently caress? It's exactly what he wants and he won't watch it. They are, otherwise, fun to watch.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Every time travel creates a multiverse 'branch' and a new timeline that is affected by your actions in this moment.
But is somehow fixed when you undo your actions, which creates yet another timeline that should in theory be the same as yours when you fixed it but in fact not.

After this post on p 25, the thread got trapped in a temporal loop and keeps repeating the same points that have been made countless times before.

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, 175 new posts and a third of it is about those loving glasses.

Mods, can that discussion be bannable now? For fucks sake.

Be careful what you ask for; we could end up with 200 new posts on warp nacelle design instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's another Trek thread for that bullshit.

This thread is about Michael Burnam, Savior if the Universe.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Rhyno posted:

What Savior? I know only Michael Burnham, the Mutineer.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Their Star Trek cred died when Mike didn't like The Orville because "it was too much like TNG." What the gently caress? It's exactly what he wants and he won't watch it.

This 'Mike' fellow is correct about that, but as the saying goes, even a damaged temporal measurement device is accurate twice for each time the Earth rotates on its axis.

Rhyno posted:

If there are self-made purgatories, then we all have to live in them.

So...

Picard lives in a winery yet seems to have no interest in grapes or wine making or the retail market.

I'm not yet convinced he's right and the Federation is wrong/evil. Data and androids like him are scary as gently caress since they're built to be almost invulnerable, they each have far too much stored energy, and they don't give a darn about Asimov's quaint little guidelines for robotics.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

woah what does data run on? Can't believe that never came up!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"Power cells".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Rich Evans deciding that the Romulan were building the Borg cube (??!?)

Did I miss something incredibly obvious here. Is that not exactly what happened?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hakkesshu posted:

Did I miss something incredibly obvious here. Is that not exactly what happened?

It’s not clear at all what they’re doing. It’s just referred to as a “Romulan reclamation site” which to me implied that they’re literally reclaiming Romulans from being drones.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

skasion posted:

It’s not clear at all what they’re doing. It’s just referred to as a “Romulan reclamation site” which to me implied that they’re literally reclaiming Romulans from being drones.

Yeah, that would also explain the line about "fixing broken people." The cube is probably an old derelict and the Romulans are salvaging what they can from it, including drones, for reasons we'll get to eventually.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

"Why do you look old, Q?"

"Look in a mirror, Jean-Luc, you've gotten so old and wrinkly. I'm your friend, I didn't want you to feel bad."

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Did the rest of the Federation not send any ships? And I think RLM does have a good point about writers conflating Starfleet and the Federation a lot.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

That might have been all the Federation was sending, right. ~150 member worlds, a 10,000 ship rescue fleet is 10-100 ships per member world. Earth would be a natural staging area for a fleet headed to Romulan space since it's in the Beta Quadrant.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Kazy posted:

Did the rest of the Federation not send any ships? And I think RLM does have a good point about writers conflating Starfleet and the Federation a lot.

Starfleet is the Federation's navy. They're the ones who have the ships. We don't really see anything suggesting that individual planets have their own fleets, I don't think. There are civilian ships, but they aren't generally portrayed as big enough to make any meaningful difference, and plus, they're private property and I assume the Federation can't just seize them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Epicurius posted:

Starfleet is the Federation's navy. They're the ones who have the ships. We don't really see anything suggesting that individual planets have their own fleets, I don't think. There are civilian ships, but they aren't generally portrayed as big enough to make any meaningful difference, and plus, they're private property and I assume the Federation can't just seize them.

At least some possibly EU stuff indicates member worlds still make their own ships, Vulcans in particular still having their own style, and there's still all-Vulcan crews.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Epicurius posted:

We do hear about planets having their own ships and services sometimes. The Vulcans for example definitely have their own science fleet.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

SF is Federation navy. All other worlds should have their own ships, shiplines, shipyards and fleets. The Federation unites the worlds, not starts them and the main feat for First Contact is being warp capable.
And it shouldn't stop there, it's not like 'if you join federation we grant your warp1 civilisation some advanced transwarp ships and weaponry capable of annihilating your whole planet in a whim' so basically planets join federation but keep their own fleets and trade ships and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I enjoy watching the RLM reviews even when they're clearly BS.

For instance, they spent a minute mocking the first scene with Djah where the Romulans try to kidnap her and put a bag over her head. The RLM crew thought that the bag itself was meant to knock her out (and to be fair, I did too the first time I watched it, but that was due to the slow-motion effect they had going on). Immediately following the bag going over her head, the Romulan tries to punch her head to knock her out, this is the point we know she's activated as she somehow blocks it without even seeing it coming.

They also somehow thought the Romulans were building the Borg cube themselves? Looked pretty clear they were hoboing up in it and harvesting tech from it.

For all they love to review things, their lack of actually 'watching' stuff has been getting worse and worse over the years so they can make fun of stuff on youtube. It's on the same tier as CinemaSins.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 27, 2020