Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

hospital or only building guaranteed to not be infected where the party leaders can hide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Wuhan Expats Fed Up With Foreign Media Hype

quote:

Many journalists have been posting in the group looking for people to comment. One from the UK’s Evening Standard got just that. It read, “How about doing articles on road accidents in Asia and ensuring the entire Asian media see them?”

Daniel Pekárek sized up the opinion of many a Wuhan expat today. “Seeing the reactions from outside world, especially in western media, racist, political comments and so on is so disgusting, people should stop this.”

Other requests from journalists have come from Australia, Italy, France, Canada, Ireland and the Philippines. Carr also asked whether there is any way to ban journalists from the group.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1221717688885506048

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Ora Tzo posted:

Just wondering, if you get exposed to the virus and recover you get immune to it right?

I think it's more like you 'level up' and can take on new viruses, Corona won't respawn

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ora Tzo posted:

Just wondering, if you get exposed to the virus and recover you get immune to it right?

It's too early to tell isn't it? How do similar viruses like SARS and MERS work?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Won't anyone think of the crypto-currencies?

https://www.coindesk.com/how-coronavirus-outbreak-in-china-could-weigh-on-crypto-prices

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Wait do people actually drink unpasteurized camel urine?

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Ora Tzo posted:

not if it mutates, then you have to go through it again

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

So is this actually a big one unlike SARS/bird flu/pig flu?

Who knows. It seems exceptionally virulent (long incubation while communicative, airborne, object persistent), with a pneumonia like mortality rate. It could get pretty no bueno.

But we don't have much info yet. All the conspiracies are not helping know what's accurate either

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Pajser posted:

not if it mutates, then you have to go through it again

Not necessarily, having immunity to one virus can give you immunity to other related ones, such as with cow pox giving people immunity to small pox

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/UKDefenceClub/status/1221742778973114368?s=20

remember to screen sailor

not that screening matters if it’s asymptomatic for 2 weeks

acid garfield
Jul 11, 2019

Mondays are certain,
suffering is optional.

acid garfield
Jul 11, 2019

Mondays are certain,
suffering is optional.
https://twitter.com/SimonOstler/status/1221767292096274432?s=20

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

People are singing and chanting 武汉加油!(Let's go, Wuhan!) out their windows. I also saw a clip of food trucks coming in and they had red banners across the front with that too. Supermarkets are overnight shipping supplies in from other cities in China, and the news of where / how to get food is easy to find on WeChat.

Have to agree with that article earlier on the expats reaction to the international coverage. Anyway, the singing out the windows was uplifting.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1221770998225215495?s=19

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

note: this is not an endorsement of China's government in general, they are evil fucks

BUT if this poo poo broke in a major American/European hub we'd be ten times deeper in poo poo by now, the totality of the response from the chinese government is impressive

twoday
May 4, 2005

The number of people who react to any news with casual racism is still shocking to me, though I should know better by now

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol this things worldwide already

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

why did i skip the gym this morning and read this whole thread instead

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shanghai is starting to shut down

If Beijing goes down, oh boy

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy gently caress who's gonna make the new iPhone?!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

twoday posted:

The number of people who react to any news with casual racism is still shocking to me, though I should know better by now

Yeah I feel this whenever I post anything on Facebook. Haven't posted about this for that reason.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

lol this things worldwide already

it was worldwide days ago

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Wrong thread.

Remember to caufh into your elbow people

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i beat swine flu untreated in 2009 with about a three day period in bed i don't remember. i watched the discover series everest on repeat and lived on a bag of robin eggs candy that happened to be at the foot of my bed. then my old lady got it and she went to the doctor like a wimp but it was still pretty bad.

im 10 years older now so hopefully the coronavirus doesn't finish me off when i catch it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Over Easy posted:

Wrong thread.

Remember to caufh into your elbow people

This thing spreads just by breathing and talking. Coughing into your elbow isn't going to do poo poo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SKULL.GIF posted:

This thing spreads just by breathing and talking. Coughing into your elbow isn't going to do poo poo.

we got a real debbie downer over here

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

jarofpiss posted:

i beat swine flu untreated in 2009 with about a three day period in bed i don't remember. i watched the discover series everest on repeat and lived on a bag of robin eggs candy that happened to be at the foot of my bed. then my old lady got it and she went to the doctor like a wimp but it was still pretty bad.

im 10 years older now so hopefully the coronavirus doesn't finish me off when i catch it

I also got it and it was basically a mild flu but it lasted like a week. I was real young so it was just a week of bed rest and video games basically.

twoday
May 4, 2005

That's it! This is getting serious. Time to start eating fruit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fart simpson posted:

we got a real debbie downer over here

Are you kidding? This is the most fun I've had in months.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Remember the Harvard guy going HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!! and then it turned out the data he was looking at was bad and it was only 66% of what he thought it was and then two days later new numbers came in at 1.5x the original figure?

Having a good lmao remembering

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are you your avatar irl?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Makes sense that a skellington wouldn't be afraid of no virus particles

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off
Well, that’s one way of getting rid of boomers. Sucks that young children would also be vulnerable.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

are you gonna do one of ur old style mega posts again anytime soon

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wasn't there someone during the SARS scare that dunked themselves in hand sanitizer and/or rubbing alcohol and died?

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

twoday posted:

That's it! This is getting serious. Time to start eating fruit.

this is no time for rash decisions.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

dex_sda posted:

Are you your avatar irl?

he's another sinophobic loser like you, I'm sure you'll make fast friends

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lol. I have ticket to Vietnam and Cambodia for mid-March. It's gonna be exciting watching how this develops.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ebola is like way less contagious than most people think it is. You have to get the actual bodily fluids to catch it, and by the time people are spraying blood from their holes they're already about to kick it anyway.
That's kind of what I meant, that this poo poo could spread much faster than Ebola and get more people in total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol. I have ticket to Vietnam and Cambodia for mid-March. It's gonna be exciting watching how this develops.

It'll probably be fine in two months.

Unless this mutates.