Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Wheezer posted:

And don't loving put me in the same camp as the CCP. My opinion on the Chinese government isn't the point of this thread though.

Oh I'm sorry you were just reciting word for word their talking points

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1177725.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wheezer posted:

I responded to you saying that mortality is not the only measure of severity. Those figures allow us to compare the scale of the infection to flu. Note that the flu season is a major health issue which pretty much goes unreported.

To make my position clear:
Yes, the new coronavirus is scarier than your average flu.
No, nothing so far makes me panic. The scale just isn't there - a few thousand are sick and even if only a third of cases is reported, that's still pretty small compared to the population in the area.
No, I don't trust statistics coming out of China.
Yes, Traditional Chinese Medicine is bullshit. Mao's regime started promoting it during the 60's when no western medicine was available in China - stamping various snake oil treatments traditional makes things worse, not better.
And maybe, maybe China is right in quarantining Wuhan and taking other action.
Ultimately, the media is making a huge deal out of a disease which doesn't deserve it. I'll change my position as new data becomes available, but I'm not stocking up on rice and water on my way to the face mask store quite yet.

And don't loving put me in the same camp as the CCP. My opinion on the Chinese government isn't the point of this thread though.

The flu season gets a lot of reporting literally every year, maybe you just don't leave your goon cave often enough to notice.

This whole "I don't trust statistics coming out of China" thing is entirely new, given that a very early iteration of those numbers was the entire basis of your earlier take

You're now acknowledging that this virus is pretty severe, much moreso than seasonal flu. Jinkies, now if you can acknowledge that it has a comparable rate of spread then maybe you can put two and two together and figure out the mystery of the quarantined cities. My guess is a health minister looking for buried gold while dressed as a ghostly prospector but maybe you can deduce a better explanation.

your blood sugar is low or something because I sure as gently caress never compared you to the CCP and no one is saying that you need to panic, idiot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Updated R0 and not for the better....

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.23.916395v1

quote:

We estimated that the mean R0 ranges from 3.30 (95%CI: 2.73-3.96) to 5.47 (95%CI: 4.16-7.10) associated with 0-fold to 2-fold increase in the reporting rate. With rising report rate, the mean R0 is likely to be below 5 but above 3. Conclusion: The mean estimate of R0 for the 2019-nCoV ranges from 3.30 (95%CI: 2.73-3.96) to 5.47 (95%CI: 4.16-7.10), and significantly larger than 1. Our findings indicate the potential of 2019-nCoV to cause outbreaks.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Honestly pretty surprised to learn that diseases have literal power levels this past week.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MorrisBae posted:

He is Coronholio

His name is Jonas

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Volcott posted:

Honestly pretty surprised to learn that diseases have literal power levels this past week.

If only we could catch big dick disease

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

"preprint first posted online Jan. 24, 2020". This is the old estimates.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RichardA posted:

"preprint first posted online Jan. 24, 2020". This is the old estimates.

Guess I can’t read dates correctly! Disregard!

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Flying home to NZ in a month or so through Guangzhou. Silly NZ always thinks it's so safe from these things, far away from all the war and worry. Suckers.

Honestly though I'm a bit worried about the flight being cancelled or whatever. These flights are never cheap

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Suzhou, Jiangxi province just announced it's joining the quarantine party. https://www.china-briefing.com/news/coronavirus-latest-emergency-measures-announced-prc-government/?from=groupmessage

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Fifth confirmed case in Australia.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This was published today.

https://promedmail.org/promed-post/?id=20200126.6918012

quote:

These numbers fit very nicely to case data available as of January 22, 2020, but unfortunately, they are wrong. The abrupt surge in confirmed case counts (to 1423 cases as of January 26, 2020) is not compatible with the growth process described above, certainly not with a SARS-compatible generation time of 6-10 days. Indeed, the authors of the MRC model (3) noted in one of their earlier reports that the volume of observed exported cases in countries outside China suggested a much larger underlying epidemic than had been reported at that time, and this epidemic may have begun a month prior to the recognition of the market-associated outbreak, consistent with the reported timing of viral emergence based on phylogenetic analyses (5). The authors of several analyses cited above have incorporated the MRC estimates of under-reporting in order to fit their models (2, 3, 5). A second line of evidence suggesting undercounting of cases relates to the older age of cases (median 59 years in early reports), and the even older age of fatal cases (averaging around 75 years in the first 17 deaths) as contrasted with a median age of 37 or 38 years in China. Increased age in cases as compared to the population as a whole suggests that younger (likely milder) cases have been under-reported. As such, it would seem likely that at least part of the sudden apparent growth in case counts does not reflect changes in transmission, but rather increasing ascertainment of previously undercounted cases.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Exponent go up

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I didn't mentioned TCM just to take a shot at China, but to make it clear that just because the WHO has said or done something doesn't mean they're at all reliable or responsible.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
If you don't have it you're missing out.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Volcott posted:

You should watch Contagion. First time I heard the term R0 was there.

Better yet, watch Contagion with friends and/or family and then midway through start coughing.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

have we all died yet?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I can't of course speak for everyone, but I, for one, have.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fartbox posted:

have we all died yet?

Yah. Who knew hell had pestilences

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Famine and War are really loving it up this time around, c'mon pull up.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Symptoms of the first 41 patients

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

Thanks for that, I’m a hypochondriac, I feel like I have RNAaemia now

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

On the plus side, if milder cases are being under-recorded it means that the mortality rate is lower.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

MorrisBae posted:

Coronholio

I NEED IC FOR MY PHLEGM HOLE

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

The important question, how much will you re-sell your N95 masks?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
hey all i put the virus in my rear end enjoy your rear end virus lol

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

halokiller posted:

The important question, how much will you re-sell your N95 masks?

If there was an actual deadly pandemic these scalpers should be fair game :fuckoff:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I like how you think :unsmigghh:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

Famine and War are really loving it up this time around, c'mon pull up.

Famine and war just poo poo on poor people but at least pestilence and death aren’t afraid to go after everyone. Equal opportunity apocalypse and all.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
lmao that people actually think gas masks are gonna protect them while walking around in the streets.

Wash you are gosh dang hands people!!! You get infected by touching an infected surface someone blew their nose on, then rubbing your gross hands all over your face.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mooey Cow posted:

lmao that people actually think gas masks are gonna protect them while walking around in the streets.

Wash you are gosh dang hands people!!! You get infected by touching an infected surface someone blew their nose on, then rubbing your gross hands all over your face.

I’m seeing a lot of people wearing the masks here in Scotland (I work in a University and live in an area with a lot of overseas students) and I keep getting anxious about innocently coughing and terrifying them.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

This was published today.

Indeed, the authors of the MRC model (3) noted in one of their earlier reports that the volume of observed exported cases in countries outside China suggested a much larger underlying epidemic than had been reported at that time, and this epidemic may have begun a month prior to the recognition of the market-associated outbreak,

This is what I was talking about a page or two ago

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

I’m seeing a lot of people wearing the masks here in Scotland (I work in a University and live in an area with a lot of overseas students) and I keep getting anxious about innocently coughing and terrifying them.

Well considering that just 3 feet of distance between people can drastically reduce viral spread maybe the best way to stay not sick is to walk around coughing all day, people will be terrified of you and give you a nice wide berth.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Disco Pope posted:

If anything I think the masks are gonna give them a false sense of security.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

hey all i put the virus in my rear end enjoy your rear end virus lol

Doesn't that make it your rear end virus?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

If anything I think the masks are gonna give them a false sense of security.

The masks are, if nothing else, very good at keeping people from touching their face habitually

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Suzhou is in Jiangsu. Strange that this website got that wrong

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Literally everyone in Bangkok had a mask on today. The paranoia is high.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Well considering that just 3 feet of distance between people can drastically reduce viral spread maybe the best way to stay not sick is to walk around coughing all day, people will be terrified of you and give you a nice wide berth.

Nice, and they said cigarettes would kill me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Start eating snakes to build up your resistance.