Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's that stupid product different to a regular exercise bike in any meaningful way? It's it just some prestige marketing that makes it look like there is something special about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

App, like Number, is holy and worthy of praise

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It can be remotely turned off if you don't pay your subscription, so it continues to perform capitalism even after you've paid thousands of dollars for it. That's the only difference.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

T-man posted:

It's not a metaphor, this is the kind of thing that TERFs, as well as non-academics, think gender is and how it functions. Platonic ideals are essentialist, and essentialist notions about gender are what society runs under in all but the queerest/transest/wokest spaces.

As for Butler, the Big Idea that she brings is that nothing fundamentally defines the performance besides recognition. You're assuming that these concepts of caring and emotional labour can exist outside their engendered forms, but as they (as we agree) have become entangled in the way people act, the ways they are allowed to act, the way they are forced to act, and the boundary of thinkable ways of acting. "Woman" isn't merely a set of stable attributes that exist independently in the performance, the attributes themselves are changed and ultimately defined themselves in the action of recognition. You don't get to say "the feminine is x y z and the masculine is a b c" because the meaning of x depends on the meaning of feminine, y and z, as well as the meaning of masculine, a b c, as well as the negation of x. And unless you're down for infinitely regressing chains of meaning, it's pointless to say such an unstable sort of classification and grouping of unclassifiable and ungroupable amorphous, constantly changing ideas.

Of course the categories are amorphous and unstable, but Butler doesn't deny that they exist, just that something is never fully and always belonging to one particular gender (or as you say, that they don't exist separate from a performative act). One of the things she does best I think is bridge that gap between french linguistic theory and an actual material discussion by considering that in the context of people's physical bodies. But she doesn't discuss it as some mystical unknowable thing, which is why I think she's actually way more accessible through interviews than by reading her theory, because she has to use the same linguistic shortcuts as the rest of us.

T-man posted:

Read Hegel, Lacan, Baudrillard and submit yourself to the madness coward. David Foster Wallace. Mark Fisher besides vampire's castle. madness comes in volumes.

Hegel is good, Lacan I refuse. His poo poo about how the subconscious is linguistically structured is decent but his developmental psych is pure quackery and I stopped when I realised (maybe like this Duca woman) that he was being quite literal, like in talking about libidinal investment in the mother and poo poo. It's so eurocentric and heteronormative it kinda boggles the mind that people have it time of day even then. I have read people that use Lacanian ideas well, but the original material is bs in my experience. Baudrillard I have dabbled and might read more if I have time. ty for some actual reccs though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This just comes off as more Women Are Wonderful nonsense that just always happens to exclusively support cis white upper class Western women who can totally invalidate those uncouth bro-adjacent populists who actually want to point out fundamental problems with society.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This just comes off as more Women Are Wonderful nonsense that just always happens to exclusively support cis white upper class Western women who can totally invalidate those uncouth bro-adjacent populists who actually want to point out fundamental problems with society.

I like to call it Hillary Clinton Feminism in my head.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

bike tory posted:

some stupid female guards bullshit

just take the L bike tory

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

solidarity with all comrade helicopters

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
White Feminists are the upper class white women version of Hoteps

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Forceholy posted:

White Feminists are the upper class white women version of Hoteps

Not really at all

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not really at all

Yeah, Hoteps can at least be sympathetic in that they've reacted in a counterproductive but understandable way to their lack of privilege with trying to flip the script. White Feminists are just trying to ensure sure they get their turn to do the oppressing.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://twitter.com/jmpalmieri/status/1114338480153346049?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, Hoteps can at least be sympathetic in that they've reacted in a counterproductive but understandable way to their lack of privilege with trying to flip the script. White Feminists are just trying to ensure sure they get their turn to do the oppressing.

I think it would be more productive to be a bit clearer with your definitions. Like, I'm a non-American white guy who grew up poor, and I'm a feminist - but presumably we're talking about something else here more like "super-privileged wealthy white North American cishet woman who dismisses intersectional concerns and actually stifles minority voices thus further reproducing patriarchal structures".

Like maybe we could just say 2020 Hillary fans or something

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

T-man posted:

I like to call it Hillary Clinton Feminism in my head.
Lehman Sisters

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This would make a great username.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cakesmith handyman posted:

It can be remotely turned off if you don't pay your subscription, so it continues to perform capitalism even after you've paid thousands of dollars for it. That's the only difference.
It also came with a "subscription" or whatever to play licensed music that streamed while you rode for a while, except now they can't renew the licenses so you get royalty-free crap instead.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
You'd think Peleton could partner with a streaming music service or something. Instead of doing every bit of production themselves.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

a helpful bear posted:

Cross posting because I think this maybe applies loosely

Spotted today at the mall. Welcome to the Peloton prison where you can try out a stationary bike that has a subscription and becomes obsolete!

I have never heard of this. Weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pShKu2icEYw

I thought the constant selfies were a parody.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shipon posted:

I do think there is a legitimate lack of knowledge about how systems work in countries with universal systems, even on the side of single-payer advocates. People in 20s and 30s who managed to get good jobs and have good insurance yet are healthy enough to never really use them are glad that the insurance is there, and the monthly payments while still high are affordable enough for them that they don't notice the absurd cost.

If the job is good, you don't pay anything though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

anonumos posted:

You'd think Peleton could partner with a streaming music service or something. Instead of doing every bit of production themselves.

there is no compulsory sync right, thats why companies have divided copyrights into different "types" of copying, so they can deny usage/double charge via some other one

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It also came with a "subscription" or whatever to play licensed music that streamed while you rode for a while, except now they can't renew the licenses so you get royalty-free crap instead.

That seems even pointless than these bikes in general. Like, who doesn't already have their own music they can play?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

starkebn posted:

It's that stupid product different to a regular exercise bike in any meaningful way? It's it just some prestige marketing that makes it look like there is something special about it?

The bike is basically a regular studio cycle bike with a screen and app built in. The live classes are ok because for me personally I exercise better when I have a woman yelling at me (live studio classes are better but you can get the app subscription for like $12 a month instead of $150 for a gym).

The problem is that it's basically a $500 bike and a a $200 limited function tablet wrapped in a $2,000 package so what we did is my wife bought 2 used studio quality bikes for $500, put them in our basement and we just stream the classes on a tv with a firestick.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

If the job is good, you don't pay anything though.

I’ve never known anyone who didn’t have a monthly payment taken from their gross pay. it’d be so dope not to have to pay $175 a month for basic insurance with a huge deductible as a “benefit” to my bureaucracy drone government job but as far as I know even the bosses pay monthly

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Nastier Nate posted:

The bike is basically a regular studio cycle bike with a screen and app built in. The live classes are ok because for me personally I exercise better when I have a woman yelling at me (live studio classes are better but you can get the app subscription for like $12 a month instead of $150 for a gym).

The problem is that it's basically a $500 bike and a a $200 limited function tablet wrapped in a $2,000 package so what we did is my wife bought 2 used studio quality bikes for $500, put them in our basement and we just stream the classes on a tv with a firestick.

lol

So, for how long have you been doing this?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Frog Act posted:

I’ve never known anyone who didn’t have a monthly payment taken from their gross pay. it’d be so dope not to have to pay $175 a month for basic insurance with a huge deductible as a “benefit” to my bureaucracy drone government job but as far as I know even the bosses pay monthly

:laffo: I didn't think I'd find out any more "America fundamentally sucks in ways I never even imagined and they just categorically fail at even the basic stuff" tid-bits on the forums but there you go.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Lambert posted:

lol

So, for how long have you been doing this?

about 2 months so far.

i put my gym membership on hold because this was cheaper and it was getting harder to get out there with my kids and work schedule

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think it would be more productive to be a bit clearer with your definitions. Like, I'm a non-American white guy who grew up poor, and I'm a feminist - but presumably we're talking about something else here more like "super-privileged wealthy white North American cishet woman who dismisses intersectional concerns and actually stifles minority voices thus further reproducing patriarchal structures".

Like maybe we could just say 2020 Hillary fans or something

No, sorry, as white people our collective cross to bear is being terrible, absolute loving garbage, for our whole lives until we die.

I'm not being sarcastic we're the worst.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Andrast posted:

That seems even pointless than these bikes in general. Like, who doesn't already have their own music they can play?

The kind of people who listen to whatever's on the radio in the car.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shame Boy posted:

No, sorry, as white people our collective cross to bear is being terrible, absolute loving garbage, for our whole lives until we die.

I'm not being sarcastic we're the worst.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jerry Cotton posted:

:laffo: I didn't think I'd find out any more "America fundamentally sucks in ways I never even imagined and they just categorically fail at even the basic stuff" tid-bits on the forums but there you go.
Yeah, it's a line item on your pay stub and everything, it's "amazing".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The thing is about criticising wealthy liberals is that it doesn't matter what language you use because they will use literally anything you say, including outright making poo poo up, to try to discredit you because they don't want you talking about those issues at all.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

In posting this video I was going to ask how long you guys think it will actually take before having to buy protection plans from the police (or they will actually ignore you) becomes a real thing. But I'm afraid that it's probably already happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo2OQsPDwBI

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol lauren duca recently taught a course at NYU called something like "feminist journalism" that was apparently actually about the career and personal life of lauren duca and featured lengthy in-class meditation sessions

she is p clearly a crazy person

not gonna top the time david brooks assigned his own book while teaching a class on humility

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

spacetoaster posted:

In posting this video I was going to ask how long you guys think it will actually take before having to buy protection plans from the police (or they will actually ignore you) becomes a real thing. But I'm afraid that it's probably already happening.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

check out Project Greenlight in Detroit. OCP's already here

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, Hoteps can at least be sympathetic in that they've reacted in a counterproductive but understandable way to their lack of privilege with trying to flip the script.

I feel like this is really ignoring the high-key misogynism and homophobia of hoteps

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

Private ‘police force’ to roll out nationally after success in London

quote:

For £100 to £200 a month, staff from My Local Bobby will meet with people, discuss any concerns and investigate crimes. ‘Bobbies’ patrol neighbourhoods and let people who pay track their progress on an iPad app. The business was set up by two former Metropolitan Police officers. Although the ‘bobbies’ are not PCs, they will make citizen arrests and gather evidence for private prosecutions.

The company has reportedly achieved more than 400 convictions for offences including fraud and intellectual property theft. They will investigate crimes such as drug dealing to criminal damage, and have even investigated a murder. Mr McKelvey told the Sunday Express: ‘You don’t see policemen walk around the streets any more. If you call 101 it’s a 30-minute wait and it is not a police officer who answers.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

boar guy posted:

check out Project Greenlight in Detroit. OCP's already here

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

quote:

If purchasing cameras, the cost of the program ranges from $4000-$6000 depending on your site and which approved vendor you choose. If leasing your cameras, the cost of the program ranges from $130-$180/month plus installation cost of $450-$1,000, depending on your site and which approved vendor you choose.

quote:

No. Each business is responsible for purchasing the flashing green light and signs from an approved Project Green Light vendor.

quote:

Yes per the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), Project Green Light signs must be installed. The signage signifies to your customers and the community that you are a Project Green Light partner. The cost of the signs depends on the vendor and ranges between $400-$650.

https://detroitmi.gov/departments/police-department/project-green-light-detroit#collapse-vbp-accordion-21131-1

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

yeah the “benefit” is that jts considerably cheaper than if I didn’t have a full time job with benefits, where it would be out of the realm of affordability entirely, but still costs thousands plus a deductible of several hundred bucks and payment at the time of service copays even after meeting that.

my girlfriend is a part time public school teacher (2-3 days a week) and works other contract jobs and just can’t afford any insurance at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I had "good" insurance from work, treatment for any one medical condition was covered up to 10 000€, excluding being really fat and dental problems. General practice + lab work was covered as a matter of course if it interfered with work or was work-related but that had nothing to do with the insurance. (I once had a really stupid clerk try to bill me for something because the insurance specifically didn't cover it until the person sitting next to them leaned in and told them it was covered by my employer by law.)

e: The whole point of good employer-provided healthcare is that it has been proven 100% without doubt to cost an employer less money than workers going to municipal healthcare. The fact alone that at the health centre one would basically always have to go during working hours probably affects that all by itself.

ee: I'm imagining that it "WOULDNÄT WORK IN AMERICA" because:
"Sir, there's this scheme that would give you more money to spend on helicopter rides, pro-AIDS advertising, and Trump campaigning."
"Ah, excellent, excellent; and how would this make my minions poorer and sicker?"

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Jan 27, 2020