Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

MrMojok posted:

Alright, I will be the idiot here. If visibility is bad, and you are flying a helicopter in these conditions, why can you not take the helo 2000' feet above the highest known terrain feature?

Because that would be an admission that you don't know the route like the back of your hand and you are not, in fact, the awesome pilot you think you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Because then you’d need an IFR clearance.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Flying in conditions where you don't have constant visuals with the ground change the flight from Visual Flight Rules (VFR) to Instrument Flight Rules (IFR). Pilots require additional training and certification to fly in IFR conditions. I am not familiar with what the flight plan filing procedures are for helicopters but I imagine there are different clearances required to fly IFR in Los Angeles which is one of the busiest areas in the US.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hekk posted:

Flying in conditions where you don't have constant visuals with the ground change the flight from Visual Flight Rules (VFR) to Instrument Flight Rules (IFR). Pilots require additional training and certification to fly in IFR conditions. I am not familiar with what the flight plan filing procedures are for helicopters but I imagine there are different clearances required to fly IFR in Los Angeles which is one of the busiest areas in the US.

Dood this happened up around Malibu, there is nothing but loving hills up there, it is literal nonstop hills on top of hills

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MrMojok posted:

Dood this happened up around Malibu, there is nothing but loving hills up there, it is literal nonstop hills on top of hills

Air traffic, not cars.

edit- Also, I am not an expert on flying helicopters but I have flown. For planes, I can fly VFR without filing a flight plan. However, if I want to fly IFR, I need the IFR rating, an aircraft with all of the equipment necessary to fly IFR, and I need to file a flight plan in order to be granted clearance.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 27, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It may not be infrastructure week, but it sure is Brexit Week. :getin:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Asking out of complete ignorance: what steps would have been taken with a better pilot that found themselves in a similar low-viz, hazardous-terrain situation?

1) Pilot recognizes they're in a bad situation
2) Pilot calls it in
3) ???
4) Helicopter lands safely

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EBB posted:

I'm pumped as hell and ready to gloat and I feel far less bad for the brits than I do the americans though that'll likely change come november

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I kinda also want to gloat and laugh and all that good stuff, but the end of the day, I still feel bad for the people getting hosed.
At least I'm kinda hoping for some juicy drama from a friend working at a HAUPTZOLLAMT. He isn't really involved in the actual international customs operations, but pretty much every customs employee has been getting an earful of the clusterfuck in the past couple of years.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
A friend made this.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

EBB posted:

Hell yes

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh hey

quote:

Weather conditions on Sunday morning did not meet the Los Angeles Police Department’s minimum standards for flying, spokesman Josh Rubenstein confirmed to CNN.

Due to foggy conditions, LAPD had grounded their helicopters in the morning.

“This morning we did not fly because of that [weather],” said Rubenstein.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Cugel the Clever posted:

Asking out of complete ignorance: what steps would have been taken with a better pilot that found themselves in a similar low-viz, hazardous-terrain situation?

2) Pilot calls it in
3) ???

1Announce that you are inadvertent IMC
2Transition to the instruments.
3Level the wings, turning only to avoid known obstacles.
4 Climb to a safe altitude.
5 Squawk emergency on the transponder.
6. Contact ATC and request vectors to nearest appropriate approach.

You don't need a clearance if it's an emergency and you can request a pop up clearance if the conditions are deteriorating.

Edit: A better pilot would have scrubbed the flight or filed IFR to start with.

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 27, 2020

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

ded posted:

from the gbs china thread

Had a look at that thread and holy poo poo there's a lot of sick loving people with redtext who are gleeful at the coronavirus killing Chinese people

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Racists gonna racist unfortunately

There's five cases in Australia now I think

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Unless the coronavirus is guaranteed to kill us all, you do not in fact gotta hand it to it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Unless the coronavirus is guaranteed to kill us all, you do not in fact gotta hand it to it.

I'm rooting for a global pandemic, but this isn't gonna be the one.

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

Cugel the Clever posted:

2) Pilot calls it in
3) ???

The pilot was flying under Special VFR (Visual Flight Rules). There are three types of flight rules:

VFR - Weather is good (1000ft ceilings and >3 miles visibility per the rules but that’s the bare minimum) and I want to navigate by looking outside but take the responsibility of not hitting anything completely.

IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) - Weather is dog poo poo (weather less than 1000/3) and I am flying solely by looking at instrumentation in the aircraft except for takeoff and the last part of landing, right before touchdown. ATC takes the responsibility for ensuring I don’t hit anything provided I am following their instructions and playing by the rules.

Special VFR - An ATC clearance to fly under VFR when weather is less than the standard VFR conditions. Pilot and aircraft must be rated to fly IFR and the pilot must specifically request Special VFR. I only need a minimum of 1 mile visibility and to remain clear of clouds. You are supposed to operate at slow enough speeds to allow you to react.

As a helo pilot, I operated under Special VFR many times. Generally my flying was going to be done at 500 feet and the ceiling was at, say 900ft, and we’d usually be at 70-90 KIAS, not 161. That being said, I was based out of Norfolk where all the airports were at sea level and the only thing I had to worry about were a couple large towers.

What this pilot should have done:

1) Realize the weather was too bad and elected for an IFR clearance before going flying.

Or

2) Realize the weather was too bad while he’s circling outside of the first airport and request and IFR clearance while airborne.

Or

3) Once he pushed along his route and realized it was too bad, immediately declare an emergency with ATC and hit the emergency button on his transponder, turn away from known obstacles, and begin a climb to either a) the published minimum safe altitude or b) until he is above/clear of the clouds.

The real sad part about it is there is really nothing that happens to you if you declare an emergency. ATC makes you a priority and try’s to get you safe. Plenty of people are too afraid to declare and emergency because they don’t want to admit they hosed up, don’t realize how bad they’ve hosed up, or are afraid they FAA will come down on them (again, generally doesn’t happen when you declare an emergency. That generally happens when you gently caress up and haven’t declared an emergency).

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My wife was telling me that schools in Beijing let out for five months for SARS. State television put on educational programming during the day and you could tune to a channel with grade-appropriate material. None of the kids watched, everybody was out playing.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JosephHDempsey/status/1221793225427558400

Between this, the Kobe helicopter, and a Navy 60 going down in the Pacific (all were rescued), not a great time for aviation

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/JosephHDempsey/status/1221793225427558400

Between this, the Kobe helicopter, and a Navy 60 going down in the Pacific (all were rescued), not a great time for aviation

You missed the Caspian Airlines emergency landing in Iran

https://twitter.com/BahmanKalbasi/status/1221656208228192256

https://twitter.com/HamediHami/status/1221656570771255296

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah I'm never getting on a plane again. I decided that years ago and reasons why just never stop accumulating.

That Caspian air emergency landing, fuuuuuck they got sooo lucky. Didn't see the other one yet. E: ohhh, same crash different footage.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Boy do I have something to tell you about every other mode of transportation

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Alaan posted:

Boy do I have something to tell you about every other mode of transportation

I don't want statistics, nerd

[jumps in car and speeds into a brick wall]

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I don’t think anyone is surprised these protest planes keep getting shot down. At least they’re using non-lethal rounds and bean bags?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I know numbers are against me on this one. Not even remotely trying to argue the numbers. It's irrational.

Just a phobia.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Commercial air travel is a miserable experience and I'd much rather roll the dice in a car

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I appreciate this thread and the AI thread because even though I have a more than basic knowledge of aviation stuff, it's nice seeing people who actually know what the gently caress they are talking about discuss it.

Saw a post in D&D where some guy posted the common quip that gets posted around here "Planes want to fly, helicopters want to hit the ground" followed by the explanation that if a plane loses engine power or w/e, you can still "fly" it (and have a fighting chance of not outright dying). Queue D&D levels of arguing that "UHH, PLANES AREN'T MAGIC, THEY WILL STILL CRASH, JUST LIKE A HELICOPTER!"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pretty much, that.

I also just prefer the false semblance of control even though I'm aware everyone else around me might as well be out for a drunken joyride. Can't dodge every idiot on the road, but at least my inevitable death won't include the possibility of falling 30k feet in a tin sausage.

Unless one lands on me.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Nick Soapdish posted:

I don't want statistics, nerd

[jumps in car and speeds into a brick wall]

:tesla:

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Sounds like they were in special vfr.

https://youtu.be/B0pQfgi9ZqU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Commercial air travel is a miserable experience and I'd much rather roll the dice in a car

I hate every person in every airport every time I fly

It is 2020 where the hell are my high speed trains

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

I appreciate this thread and the AI thread because even though I have a more than basic knowledge of aviation stuff, it's nice seeing people who actually know what the gently caress they are talking about discuss it.

Saw a post in D&D where some guy posted the common quip that gets posted around here "Planes want to fly, helicopters want to hit the ground" followed by the explanation that if a plane loses engine power or w/e, you can still "fly" it (and have a fighting chance of not outright dying). Queue D&D levels of arguing that "UHH, PLANES AREN'T MAGIC, THEY WILL STILL CRASH, JUST LIKE A HELICOPTER!"

I mean as a general rule, planes will fly given enough airspeed. Helicopters will drop.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bloops posted:

I mean as a general rule, planes will fly given enough airspeed. Helicopters will drop.

Helicopter will autorotate! If you're not in the death envelope.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

bloops posted:

I can only imagine there is a physics equation somewhere featuring a circular helicopter in space without gravity or other outside forces where it will still fall and explode.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In less fatal crash news, they walked away from this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfgtins1HC8

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

bloops posted:

Look at this nerd who doesn't know about autorotation aka falling with style

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Laranzu posted:

I can only imagine there is a physics equation somewhere featuring a circular helicopter in space without gravity or other outside forces where it will still fall and explode.

Physics equations may not totally account for the malevolent hellspawn consumed by hatred of the living and thirst for their blood that is the beating heart of a helicopter.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Sounds like they were in special vfr.

https://youtu.be/B0pQfgi9ZqU

So "Special VFR" is basically the "I pinky-promise I can still see poo poo", and ATC doens't really have any way of saying "you're full of poo poo"?

mlmp08 posted:

In less fatal crash news, they walked away from this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfgtins1HC8

The roll-cages on proper Rallye cars are absolutely le-git

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So "Special VFR" is basically the "I pinky-promise I can still see poo poo", and ATC doens't really have any way of saying "you're full of poo poo"?

The roll-cages on proper Rallye cars are absolutely le-git

https://youtu.be/-hIsWx5qbQs

Perfect example of why you pay the 30k for a real roll cage and not a backyard special

(they walked away)