Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Herstory Begins Now posted:

On the one hand, yeah maybe you're right. On the other hand: imagine that they continue handling everything in literally the worst way possible and Trump sabotages his own defense even more and we get another damaging leak or two. Because that's entirely more likely than the best or even not-bad case scenario for Trump rn

That's pretty much it. It has always been obvious they were wanting to slam this thing through to avoid the bombs that are being leveled right now. Any cover that the GOP had is now over so they will have to at the least call Bolton now. If Bolton starts naming names like it certainly seems like he will then the doors are blown completely off. Let's say, as the book is said to have, him state Pompeo, Mulvaney and Barr at least were in on the deal. Things start getting even uglier there as privilege would go out the window quickly. Who knows how the White House would fight to keep any of the three from testifying. And when/if they would testify how would they behave? Telling the truth effectively ends Trump, they could theoretically plead the fifth but that again is basically an admission of guilt.

We are officially walking into the nightmare scenario for the GOP Senators. They are now painted into a corner and while there is loyalty for Trump I don't see them all falling on the sword to save the guy. I bet they are wishing he would be like Nixon and resign but we all know that won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I expect tearful baby rage a la kavanaugh/Graham from pompeo and barr

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/VicToensing/status/1221812164660539397

Jesus

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually kind of to the point with this that while I'd prefer to see him removed, there is no bad result possible from the proceedings. More than half the nation wants him removed. The first primary states for dems are next week. Him getting acquitted seems almost better from a voted turnout standpoint, maybe? But him getting removed would be an incredible victory. It's sort of how I feel when I play fortnite and get three kills right off the drop, like, ok, this game was a success already even if I don't get the win.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Majority of country wants trump impeached & removed; he somehow wins reelection anyway

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

empty whippet box posted:

I'm actually kind of to the point with this that while I'd prefer to see him removed, there is no bad result possible from the proceedings. More than half the nation wants him removed. The first primary states for dems are next week. Him getting acquitted seems almost better from a voted turnout standpoint, maybe? But him getting removed would be an incredible victory. It's sort of how I feel when I play fortnite and get three kills right off the drop, like, ok, this game was a success already even if I don't get the win.

I agree but also I'm not a vulnerable demographic or likely to suffer consequences

I want whatever result will guarantee this poo poo never happens again. Maximize damage against those that sold out the country for their own power for the longest period of time

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Of course she is going to say this, hasn't Parnas implicated her and DiGenova in the crimes?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Djarum posted:

That's pretty much it. It has always been obvious they were wanting to slam this thing through to avoid the bombs that are being leveled right now. Any cover that the GOP had is now over so they will have to at the least call Bolton now. If Bolton starts naming names like it certainly seems like he will then the doors are blown completely off. Let's say, as the book is said to have, him state Pompeo, Mulvaney and Barr at least were in on the deal. Things start getting even uglier there as privilege would go out the window quickly. Who knows how the White House would fight to keep any of the three from testifying. And when/if they would testify how would they behave? Telling the truth effectively ends Trump, they could theoretically plead the fifth but that again is basically an admission of guilt.

We are officially walking into the nightmare scenario for the GOP Senators. They are now painted into a corner and while there is loyalty for Trump I don't see them all falling on the sword to save the guy. I bet they are wishing he would be like Nixon and resign but we all know that won't happen.

Yeah, shits gonna keep leaking and Bolton is almost certainly gonna get called and he will probably name names. Than idk what will happen. He might get removed if only because the gop realizes it’s the least worse option.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Love the implication that "words" can never constitute "conduct" even if the rest of that drivel was internally consistent/coherent/relevant.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Wasn't the aid only released once his scheme was uncovered?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Yes, conspiracy to commit a crime isnt a thing at all.

Just tell all those brown people that were arrested for conspiracy to commit terrorism.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Yeah pretty sure it goes witnesses followed by removal. Things are lining up nicely for the first US president to go to jail.

Don't get your hopes up buddy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Faustian Bargain posted:

Wasn't the aid only released once his scheme was uncovered?

Yes.

The reports coming out about it is what motivated them to release it.

Had that not happened, Ukraine would have likely announced the investigation, probably live on like CNN or whatever they wanted, and the aid would have been released.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

She's...a lawyer. :eng99:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDona...790577446019072

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Sure, I pointed a gun at the teller and demanded cash or I would shoot. But I never made it out of the building with the cash, therefore there was no robbery.

Fatz
Jul 1, 2011
Can Trump still try to block Bolton from testifying by claiming executive privilege or is that off the table during an impeachment trial?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

oxsnard posted:

Amazing. I don't know how the GOP gets around not calling witnesses now. They'll still try

"We make the rules. gently caress you."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"We make the rules. gently caress you."

This is always the answer.

Fatz posted:

Can Trump still try to block Bolton from testifying by claiming executive privilege or is that off the table during an impeachment trial?

He can and will.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, shits gonna keep leaking and Bolton is almost certainly gonna get called and he will probably name names. Than idk what will happen. He might get removed if only because the gop realizes it’s the least worse option.

At this point I think the GOP is pretty much dialed in on the short-term because drat near half of them will be dead/out of office before the long-term impact hits. Eventually leaks and FOIAs will air most of the evidence and a probable next-POTUS order can declassify/release the rest. But why would Grassley/McConnell/Collins/etc care about something 4-8 years from now.

Not too mention the GOP banking on all the courts and regulation changes setting them up regardless of the Trump fallout.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am still not convinced he will actually be removed. I do wonder if GOP leadership would go to Trump and tell him he needs to resign or they will remove him what he would do. I assume he would call their bluff because of course he would.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Someone tell Trump that if he demands for witnesses to prove his innocence and they all sing of his crimes like canaries and he not only gets removed from office and imprisoned, it would probably be the highest ratings TV has ever had.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Djarum posted:

I am still not convinced he will actually be removed. I do wonder if GOP leadership would go to Trump and tell him he needs to resign or they will remove him what he would do. I assume he would call their bluff because of course he would.

They won't do this more because of the resulting tantrum and attempts to hire russian mafioso types to murder whoever asked him that, but holy poo poo would it be funny to watch. Especially the resulting tweetstorm where he out of nowhere, apropos of nothing, accuses whatever rube was dumb enough to be the one to go suggest it to him of treason and says they should be impeached and removed from office.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

empty whippet box posted:

As much as I'd like you to be correct, I really don't think you should set yourself up for disappointment like this. The republicans are not under any circumstances going to remove Trump. It literally doesn't matter what we see or hear. All this will just make it worse for them electorally after they acquit Trump but save yourself the anguish and don't let yourself hope that republicans will do anything approaching the right thing, ever.

this. the republican party is devoid of any redeeming quality. They only care about power which comes from money which comes from doing the bidding of the elites. I don't think you are an elite. they aren't going to do what you want.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Retro42 posted:

At this point I think the GOP is pretty much dialed in on the short-term because drat near half of them will be dead/out of office before the long-term impact hits. Eventually leaks and FOIAs will air most of the evidence and a probable next-POTUS order can declassify/release the rest. But why would Grassley/McConnell/Collins/etc care about something 4-8 years from now.

Not too mention the GOP banking on all the courts and regulation changes setting them up regardless of the Trump fallout.

Those ghouls are going to grasp to power as long as they are breathing. A big part of what makes McConnell such a piece of poo poo is he always covers his own rear end first.

The push to pack the courts I have a feeling will be undone with a mixture of expanding the courts and as it is common knowledge there aren't many conservative judges because they tend to be wildly unqualified and/or complete wackjobs. Look at many of the unqualified idiots put on the bench to get removed in the oncoming years.

If the Democrats get both the House and Senate you will likely see a ton of bills pushed through to undo much of what Trump has done and McConnell has sat on his hands about. Unlike the Executive Orders like Trump has used nearly exclusively, once something is signed into law it is EXTREMELY hard to undo it. There is a saying in American politics: it is easy to pass a law, it is impossible to remove one.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fatz posted:

They can invoke executive privilege, but with Bolton publishing a book and all the evidence of crimes it will be hard to defend and enforce with any logical consistency

So I'll be interested to see how Roberts ratfucks it.

In reality I expect them to do all the testimony behind classified closed doors and try to bury it that way

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Framboise posted:

Someone tell Trump that if he demands for witnesses to prove his innocence and they all sing of his crimes like canaries and he not only gets removed from office and imprisoned, it would probably be the highest ratings TV has ever had.

We should remember that nothing Trump has done or probably will do will be close to as heinous as the Bush Iraq War and no one went to jail over that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fatz posted:

the actual answer is "it's complicated" because it depends what's been waived (practically everything Bolton would testify about has already been waived), what Roberts is willing to do, etc.

it's certain that it won't work, but the question is how long it would take to dispense with

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

mcmagic posted:

He can and will.

IANAL, but I heard somewhere that because he is no longer part of the executive, he cannot be prevented from testifying. Is this not true?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

IANAL, but I heard somewhere that because he is no longer part of the executive, he cannot be prevented from testifying. Is this not true?

you're confusing it with "he can't be ordered to not show up" like employees were told they were not allowed to testify

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I saw an article today that was some fan fic about John Roberts forcing there to be witnesses or something moronic like that... I needed a good laugh to start the work week.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

mcmagic posted:

We should remember that nothing Trump has done or probably will do will be close to as heinous as the Bush Iraq War and no one went to jail over that.

Playing Crime Olympics is a waste of breath, but leaving Kurdish allies behind in the face of ethnic cleansing and genocidal separation of immigrant families at the border, while not of the scale of Bush's war crimes, are themselves heinous acts that we can only hope won't go unpunished

They will, I know

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I saw an article today that was some fan fic about John Roberts forcing there to be witnesses or something moronic like that... I needed a good laugh to start the work week.

did this post contribute anything whatsoever to this thread, mcmagic? you don't need to performatively tell us how little you care, i think literally everyone in dnd knows by now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

eke out posted:

did this post contribute anything whatsoever to this thread, mcmagic? you don't need to performatively tell us how little you care, i think literally everyone in dnd knows by now

You said that privilege depends on what Roberts is willing to do...

This is also a bad characterization of my posting.

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1221842763131576320

Josh Hawley is a very disturbing character....

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 27, 2020

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

ManBoyChef posted:

You are absolutely right. When the founders came up with impeachment they didn't envision a group of senators so devoid of integrity as to put their own power ahead of the constitution. Now we have this poo poo show

Seems like they weren't as brilliant as we like to think then.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ryde posted:

No set of rules will ever constrain people who don't believe the rules apply to them.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Every system is liable to be exploited by someone.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ryde posted:

They did realize that political parties were problematic but they overestimated how much members of the specific branches would put their parties' interest over their branch's interest.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Deteriorata posted:

No set of rules will ever constrain people who don't believe the rules apply to them.

It's about how hard it is to break those constraints without everyone else revolting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1221764212873224193