Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s probably dead.

Scratch the bark with a fingernail and check if there’s green underneath. If there is, there is some life in it yet.

File for their guarantee if it’d dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm doing goji berries from seed this year, finally. I'm pretty excited. I've been seeing them in seed catalogues for so long and never had one.. they're supposed to be so amazing for you... this is just really good marketing isn't it

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm doing goji berries from seed this year, finally. I'm pretty excited. I've been seeing them in seed catalogues for so long and never had one.. they're supposed to be so amazing for you... this is just really good marketing isn't it

They’re also apparently piss-easy to grow yourself. They’re drought-tolerant, disease resistant, they do okay in less-than-ideal soils, and they’re cool with partial shade.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

I. M. Gei posted:

They’re also apparently piss-easy to grow yourself. They’re drought-tolerant, disease resistant, they do okay in less-than-ideal soils, and they’re cool with partial shade.

Right!? All things I've read and thought "these berries sound delicious, healthy for you and foolproof what could go wrong!"

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

"these berries sound delicious, healthy for you and foolproof what could go wrong!"

Everything in every seed catalog ever

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My only question is whether or not goji berries have a lot of seeds in them. I’ve never eaten them before, and I don’t like fruits that have a ton of seeds in every bite (like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, pomegranates, etc).

I tried googling it but somehow as far as Google knows that information just doesn’t exist anywhere on the whole internet.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Look I’m not stupid ok, I’m not gonna do that unless I already know what I need to introduce later to eat the rabbits

spiders

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Like I said I’m just worried about spraying the macropod track. It’s right on where they eat and the wicking thing or applying it directly to any taproots I can’t remove cleanly seems like a reasonable first measure alongside what I’m planning. Overspray is well and truely the concern.

Actually, how big of an area are you dealing with, and is it intermixed with flora you actually want to keep? I totally forgot solarization, which is actually the standard procedure for nuking invasive species in an area:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37WHFwh7b4

Basically, you wet the soil you want to clear and cover it with a clear plastic tarp. The sun heats up the damp soil and essentially boils everything within a few inches of the surface. The only concern here would be whether the Lantana has roots deep enough to escape the solarization, but even then this will kill everything near the surface and you can go through and wick any re-emergent shoots with glyphosate as before. At the very least, this would save you that first step of hot labor pulling out all the shallow weeds.

e: Found a fellow countryman showing you how to build a wick that works in your upside-down gravity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFKexJVfUiQ

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

My only question is whether or not goji berries have a lot of seeds in them. I’ve never eaten them before, and I don’t like fruits that have a ton of seeds in every bite (like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, pomegranates, etc).

I tried googling it but somehow as far as Google knows that information just doesn’t exist anywhere on the whole internet.

(Random youtube thumbnail from a 'grow goji from seeds' video.)

Looks like they have a cluster of small seeds in the middle.
They seem to be pretty small though, kinda like a less seedy strawberry.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Hubis posted:

Actually, how big of an area are you dealing with, and is it intermixed with flora you actually want to keep? I totally forgot solarization, which is actually the standard procedure for nuking invasive species in an area:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37WHFwh7b4

Solarization is what we recommend for changing over small areas. It works well as long as you leave it for long enough. My issue with it is that as the area grows you need a lot of plastic to cover it and at what point is the plastic more harmful than just controlled applications of glyphosate.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Like I said I’m just worried about spraying the macropod track. It’s right on where they eat and the wicking thing or applying it directly to any taproots I can’t remove cleanly seems like a reasonable first measure alongside what I’m planning. Overspray is well and truely the concern.

Do people rent their goats to clear ground in Australia? Because that's one way to nuke your yard. They'll even dig up roots and eat them if they don't run too deep.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
As much as I hate goats and I’m sure their evil physique could survive a bit of mild toxicity better than other animals I’m still not sure that’s a good idea. Literally boiling away the plants that have wronged me though? That’s awesome and I’m going to do a trial run rn of a small patch with some hothouse plastic I have lying around

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

As much as I hate goats and I’m sure their evil physique could survive a bit of mild toxicity better than other animals I’m still not sure that’s a good idea. Literally boiling away the plants that have wronged me though? That’s awesome and I’m going to do a trial run rn of a small patch with some hothouse plastic I have lying around

Just be sure to leave it out longer than you think. You really want to kill the poo poo out of that area.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Solarization is what we recommend for changing over small areas. It works well as long as you leave it for long enough. My issue with it is that as the area grows you need a lot of plastic to cover it and at what point is the plastic more harmful than just controlled applications of glyphosate.

Yeah you'll need to think about the area as it can take longer than you think to really nuke all the roots. Having plastic all over your garden for an extended period of time might not suit your needs either.

I've not used the water/clear plastic method myself, only the black stuff you get from the hardware store placed directly over the problem area. It took about 4 weeks in Australia's mid summer (average 30c/86f daytime temps) to ensure no resprouting occurred in the following weeks.

Another thing I found useful for problem weeds in the cracks or lines of large paved areas (NOT lawns) is to put a teaspoon of table salt on the weed stump and then pour as much boiling water on that bastard as I can be bothered making. At least 5 full kettles should penetrate deep enough to have a noticeable effect.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

Does anybody have advice/recommendations on using birds for snail/slug control? I'm getting sick of using coffee grounds and iron chelate as the effect wears off after a few weeks with all the rain we get here in Melbourne, AU.

I have an enclosed yard and enough space for half a dozen chickens or ducks, plus I love eggs so it's a win-win potentially. I'd build a coop of course, but allow them to roam free most of the day to do their thing. What species and breed are best for absolutely decimating slugs and snails?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Forget goats, chickens will decimate anything you let them near. Plants, grass, other (smaller) birds. You'll have a barren wasteland before you know it!

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

Forget goats, chickens will decimate anything you let them near. Plants, grass, other (smaller) birds. You'll have a barren wasteland before you know it!

And dinner too!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Beardcrumb posted:

Does anybody have advice/recommendations on using birds for snail/slug control? I'm getting sick of using coffee grounds and iron chelate as the effect wears off after a few weeks with all the rain we get here in Melbourne, AU.

I have an enclosed yard and enough space for half a dozen chickens or ducks, plus I love eggs so it's a win-win potentially. I'd build a coop of course, but allow them to roam free most of the day to do their thing. What species and breed are best for absolutely decimating slugs and snails?

Not ducks, ducks are a nightmare to keep in small spaces as they need water but also will poo poo up the water really badly. The backyard chicken thread in Pet Island might have some more specific ideas.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

This sent me down a wormhole on what's good for goats, and apparently lantana is not good for them at some large amount. I just remember them eating nightshade which will kill a horse even in small amounts. Sheep and goats are good if you need to clear a big space or heavily overgrown space, but you have to fence them in and just resign yourself to losing whatever you trap with them that isn't large trees. Very useful for English Ivy and Kudzu, maybe not for whatever you're dealing with.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Goats are browsers, sheep are grazers. Which means goats want to eat bushes and trees rather then grass, but will eat grasses if nothing else is available. Sheep are the opposite.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So these are the instructions that came with my bare root, combination fruit trees.

I’m concerned for two reasons. The first is that other places I’ve seen say that the plants must be kept in a bucket of water for 12-24 hours. The second is that the pruning seems really harsh, given that those side branches are all grafted on. It feels like I should prune them to a certain extent (they’re around 3” or so), maybe to 12-18”. Am I wrong here?

Also when planting, would it be useful to mix in a little rooting hormone into the dirt right around the roots?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It’s real hot and dry and I keep waking up way too late to rip out weeds but here are some weirdly colour saturated photos my partner took of things I’m hopefully NOT going to murder

Thicc melons

Pretty genitals

Hibiscus being hugged by qld blue pumpkin

shot of thunder dome with a portrait lens bc we don’t own a better lens for these shots

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m concerned for two reasons. The first is that other places I’ve seen say that the plants must be kept in a bucket of water for 12-24 hours.

I've never had a problem with a two hour soak followed by planting into moist soil, but maybe that's a difference in climate?

Solkanar512 posted:

The second is that the pruning seems really harsh, given that those side branches are all grafted on. It feels like I should prune them to a certain extent (they’re around 3” or so), maybe to 12-18”. Am I wrong here?

That does seem excessive for a multigraft. Would there be any buds/nodes left to grow on your grafted wood if it was pruned that hard?

Solkanar512 posted:

Also when planting, would it be useful to mix in a little rooting hormone into the dirt right around the roots?

Unnecessary. Likewise, don't bother with mixing bone meal into the soil. I'm too lazy to dig up the research atm but it showed that bone meal suppresses mycorrhizal activity. Normally symbiotic fungi make calcium and other nutrients available to plant roots. When suppressed the plant becomes nutrient starved and sends out more roots in an attempt to find and absorb the needed nutrients. This observed root growth stimulation led us to to assume the plant was "healthy".

Beardcrumb posted:

Muscovy ducks. A pair of hens will lay eggs occasionally and probably not do a lot of collateral damage to your yard. They absolutely love slugs and snails. They're calm, personable birds that do well in a dry land chicken yard type of environment, although bathing water is appreciated.

Drakes are twice the size of the hens and have a disturbingly large corkscrew penis that you probably don't want to see dragged through your produce. Apparently the hens have a counter-threaded cloaca in what appears to be a mechanism to prevent duck rape. Do not read about duck sex if you ever want to enjoy Donald and Daisy cartoons again.

Since we started using wood chips in our paths and as mulch on the permanent beds our slug problem has disappeared. The little blighters are still out there in the forest and meadow but don't seem to be crossing the perimeter paths to munch lettuce anymore. Hopefully that continues.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Well, my bulbs are coming up and looking like Spring has a good chance of being loving.

Snowdrops just starting to bloom.

Will post pics when I get time.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
It's interesting here, the days aren't boiling hot any more and we are coming into autumn/ winter

Even tho the weather is still warm I can see all my plants are slowing down

I've planted capsicums, ginger okra and spring onions

I know it will be slow over the winter but it's warm enough in my region to support capsicums and I might have 10 more weeks of warm enough to do the okra

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Jestery posted:

I've planted capsicums, ginger okra and spring onions

i planted exactly this and a couple more things today. spooky. also it was 36 here today. its a dry heat though (I say this so often now I dont even hate myself for it anymore)

Good for the patch of plastic I put down as a proof of concept for the solarization. Plenty of dead leafy stuff there already, gonna cut up a few more bags and do another two patches tomorrow and keep ripping out the newer growth stuff growing in shade while I wait for that to come to fruition

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hexigrammus posted:

Unnecessary. Likewise, don't bother with mixing bone meal into the soil. I'm too lazy to dig up the research atm but it showed that bone meal suppresses mycorrhizal activity. Normally symbiotic fungi make calcium and other nutrients available to plant roots. When suppressed the plant becomes nutrient starved and sends out more roots in an attempt to find and absorb the needed nutrients. This observed root growth stimulation led us to to assume the plant was "healthy".
Fascinating! Thanks for this; it makes perfect sense. I've never used bone meal myself, but it feels like it was always on the table back when my folks were doing their extensive landscaping. Hell, it's even in Minecraft as a growth stimulant.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

quote:

Muscovy ducks. A pair of hens will lay eggs occasionally and probably not do a lot of collateral damage to your yard. They absolutely love slugs and snails. They're calm, personable birds that do well in a dry land chicken yard type of environment, although bathing water is appreciated.

Drakes are twice the size of the hens and have a disturbingly large corkscrew penis that you probably don't want to see dragged through your produce. Apparently the hens have a counter-threaded cloaca in what appears to be a mechanism to prevent duck rape. Do not read about duck sex if you ever want to enjoy Donald and Daisy cartoons again.

Muscovy ducks are great. I worked at a farm that had a big fly problem during the summer because of spilled feed and pig/horse/everything poop, so we acquired a trio of muscovies. Muscovies are also feral in our area, so after we got the initial home team going and multiplying, a hundred-ish muscovies started showing up and living at the farm. They are for the most part polite members of the farm, they stay out of the way, eat the spilled feed, and eat ALL THE FLIES. There are no more flies at the farm, every million flies has been replaced by a duck, everyone's thrilled.

They also taste excellent, the breasts grill up like beef. The eggs are delicious as well.

They are considered an invasive species in Florida, but everything's invasive there, and they are fairly low on the scale of destructiveness.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 29, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Any recommendations for humidifiers for houseplants? I just want something basic to up the humidity in my plant corner. There are plenty of ~$30 ones on Amazon, but I'd rather not get a dud.

Also, has anyone built a moss pole before? I'm thinking of making one for my big and small monsteras. They're a sprawling mess right now.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Hexigrammus posted:

I've never had a problem with a two hour soak followed by planting into moist soil, but maybe that's a difference in climate?

That does seem excessive for a multigraft. Would there be any buds/nodes left to grow on your grafted wood if it was pruned that hard?

Thanks a bunch for the detailed info! I've planted plenty of potted trees so this is a little new. I'm going to trim to about 24" to make sure there are buds available.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Any recommendations for humidifiers for houseplants? I just want something basic to up the humidity in my plant corner. There are plenty of ~$30 ones on Amazon, but I'd rather not get a dud.

Also, has anyone built a moss pole before? I'm thinking of making one for my big and small monsteras. They're a sprawling mess right now.

I'll bet you could get away with an inexpensive evaporation humidifier from a department store or larger pharmacy. It's basically a unit with a tank, a large sponge that sucks up the water and a fan that blows air through the sponge blowing humid air out into the room. No heaters or anything like that, so you can leave them alone for a while. A few drops of of bleach occasionally in the water tank prevents mold from growing in the sponge.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

Hexigrammus posted:

Since we started using wood chips in our paths and as mulch on the permanent beds our slug problem has disappeared. The little blighters are still out there in the forest and meadow but don't seem to be crossing the perimeter paths to munch lettuce anymore. Hopefully that continues.

Awesome :) Thanking you kindly!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Holy crap, I checked my yard yesterday and I have crocus, wild tulips, anemone and alliums starting to come up! I thought I had a solid month before I had to worry about serious yard work. I’m in the PNW.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 30, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Just wait for that gently caress you mid February snow storm to throw everything off.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Just wait for that gently caress you mid February snow storm to throw everything off.

We had one last year, so I am a little concerned.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I get so mad if it snows after the tree blossoms come out. It's unfair and an insult to everything I hold dear.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I planted my goji.

I’m gonna plant the other one to the right of this one in about a week when it’s hardened off.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Solkanar512 posted:

Holy crap, I checked my yard yesterday and I have crocus, wild tulips, anemone and alliums starting to come up! I thought I had a solid month before I had to worry about serious yard work. I’m in the PNW.

:same:

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I get so mad if it snows after the tree blossoms come out. It's unfair and an insult to everything I hold dear.

Yep.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just got three fruit trees in the ground, my plans to eliminate my lawn are coming along nicely.

Apple tree: Fuji, Gala, Mcintosh, Braeburn and Honeycrisp
Cherry tree: Bing, Sweetheart, Royal Ann and Black Tartaran
Peach: Reliance

All these are sweet/eating fruit rather than cooking fruit (though it won't stop me from making pies!).

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

so the bird seed i've been feeding to the local galahs and rainbow fuckwits has corn in it and apparently my soil is perfect for growing corn bc where I'm feeding the birds is coming up crazy with a bunch of very powerful looking 3-tip grassy stalks that look a lot like the corn I planted in some other random places thats just coming up. I think I'm a corn person now. Midwestern America, I finally Get You. Corn Rules. I love it. See you in the late autumn my juicy looking friends.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

You're going to be awfully upset if you're expecting delicious corn from those plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

nah I'm just kind of in awe of the sight of a spontaneous cornfield, its a whole reverse field of dreams thing