Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
:tastykake:

Rodatose has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Nonsense posted:

lmao @ libs pretending Donald Trump barely won

Trump did barely win though? like, he won Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania by a combined margin of less then 100,000 votes, and those three states going to clinton would have made the election go the other way

which is not at all like what trump losing to bernie is going to look like

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jennifer Rube

gorgmatic
Apr 25, 2006

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't
ALLAH IS ALL MERCIFUL

Karl Malone endorsement when?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

just aimless flailing, can't even come up with something

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
1. Trump's win was a narrow statistical fluke
2. Bernie and Trump are absolutely nothing alike.
3. Bernie's going to soundly beat Trumo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Hmm hearing conflicting reports from the Succ and Never Trump media today about how Bernie supporters are helpless idealists about to get roasted by napalm or alternatively an unstoppable harassment mob of elite level hackers while achieving new heights of your-momma-joke hilarity.

Whatever the case may be, Bernie must apologize so we can write a follow up article on how Bernie admitted his followers are losers that suck.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

republicans dont need the popular vote to win, thus it doesnt matter if they barely win or not. they dont need it, when they win they win big

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:umberto:

giant umberto puking out smaller umbertos

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Been a while since I've checked in with Tom Friedman, succ pioneer. Let's see what he has to say about the impeachment trial.

quote:

Indeed, at moments like these I always fall back on what I consider to be one of the most useful essays in political science. It was a 2012 speech by Andrew G. Haldane, a top economist at the Bank of England, at an economic symposium in Jackson Hole, Wyo. It was titled “The Dog and the Frisbee” and was all about how central bankers and regulators should think about regulation after the 2008 financial crisis.

Haldane began by asking a profound philosophical question that we should all ponder occasionally: Why are dogs better than humans at catching a Frisbee?

The argument is apparently that dogs follow a basic, simple approach to the mathematically complex problem of catching a frisbee. That being that they keep their eye on it in roughly the same way while chasing it, without worrying too much about what it's going to do. It seems that we should regulate banks in the same way, with simple rules of thumb and not trying to look to hard at the problem or dig too deep into the fundamentals of what is going on. Apparently Friedman feels that an impeachment trial is much akin to bank regulation, and should be handled similarly.

Never change, Tom.

eviltastic has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Jan 27, 2020

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nonsense posted:

lmao @ libs pretending Donald Trump barely won
for as much as i like to make fun of libs misframing the election narrative, this is true afaik

it would amuse me to be proven otherwise

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

in no universe was hillary getting those electors, it didnt matter if she won 10 million more votes in california than anybody ever

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rodatose posted:

*slamming palms on keyboard* LoOk aT mE tYpE, iM a ReSpEcTed joURnAliST wiTh tHe WaShInTong PoSt. BLLoOp dOoPy dOO

If you tweet this at her, she may use it in her next column

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trump had an extremely narrow victory but there's no reason to believe it can't happen again.

See also: Bush didn't even actually win in 2000 but he still wrecked Kerry in 2004

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

in no universe was hillary getting those electors, it didnt matter if she wont 10 million more votes in california than anybody ever

This is called determinism

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/banalplay/status/1221856367037894658

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Harrow posted:

Trump had an extremely narrow victory but there's no reason to believe it can't happen again.

See also: Bush didn't even actually win in 2000 but he still wrecked Kerry in 2004
You can't change horses in midstream!

I think barring a literal 9/11 we won't get that argument ever again.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1221849112699703301?s=20

You literally could not parody David Frum more accurately than he parodies himself

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The same people who breathlessly declared Trump a threat to the survival of the republic for years will turn around and encourage Trump to effectively seize power rather than lose an election to someone who might raise their taxes.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

eviltastic posted:

Been a while since I've checked in with Tom Friedman, succ pioneer. Let's see what he has to say about the impeachment trial.

The argument is apparently that dogs follow a basic, simple approach to the mathematically complex problem of catching a frisbee. That being that they keep their eye on it in roughly the same way while chasing it, without worrying too much about what it's going to do. It seems that we should regulate banks in the same way, with simple rules of thumb and not trying to look to hard at the problem or dig too deep into the fundamentals of what is going on. Apparently Friedman feels that an impeachment trial is much akin to bank regulation, and should be handled similarly.

Never change, Tom.

also i'm like 99% sure the "your brain is doing crazy amounts of math to catch a frisbee/baseball" has been studied and debunked and that's basically how humans catch them too.

in fact this article which discusses the problem cites papers on both at the bottom because humans and dogs catch objects the same way https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/cognition-without-borders/201207/the-embodied-cognition-the-baseball-outfielder

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nonsense posted:

in no universe was hillary getting those electors, it didnt matter if she won 10 million more votes in california than anybody ever
saying trump narrowly won based on the electoral college rules (which is true) is totally different than wrongly believing a popular vote election would have 100% elected hillary instead

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Watch Bernie winning Iowa be the thing that finally makes us fix the insane scheduling of the primaries

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

You literally could not parody David Frum more accurately than he parodies himself

she lost to that guy too, nuff said bout her

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It'd be great if reforms inspired by a leftist being president are written in a way that they're permanent, but I mostly expect centrists to advocate for reforms that mysteriously last 4-8 years then expire or get repealed

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
they're so loving shook lmao

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah, good, ok

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Lmao it begins. :unsmigghh:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
"small business owners"

"influencers"

https://twitter.com/BoldProgressive/status/1221841659270455296

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
there's a big stereotype about bad opinions on twitter coming from people with anime avatars, but does anyone think that there's also a huge corellation between dog avatars and tribe liberal boomer poo poo

it feels like almost every time i see some gibbering about civility, unity and how bernie yells too much and needs to be vetted it's coming from a boomer with a photo of their dog as profile image

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

lol and by wrecked you mean diebold helped the republicans fudge the vote in ohio to tip it to bush

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Would Bernie win a 1 on 1 matchup against Evan McMullin in that state?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dolash posted:

The same people who breathlessly declared Trump a threat to the survival of the republic for years will turn around and encourage Trump to effectively seize power rather than lose an election to someone who might raise their taxes.

So what you're saying is, Bernie would not have won?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say

Like... an underequipped, loyal militia facing off against a ruthless army isn't not only uh... the founding myth of this country, it's also the most famous example of us losing and also what's kept us stuck in conflicts for decades.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Streak posted:

they're so loving shook lmao

This is going to be a wild ride

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

just out of camera shot

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/dinosaurthe3rd/status/1221858442970877955

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

galenanorth posted:

It'd be great if reforms inspired by a leftist being president are written in a way that they're permanent, but I mostly expect centrists to advocate for reforms that mysteriously last 4-8 years then expire or get repealed

still lolling at California being moved to Super Tuesday to rig it for Kamala and instead ending up as an impenetrable Bernie bulwark

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Echo Chamber posted:

Would Bernie win a 1 on 1 matchup against Evan McMullin in that state?

Bernie would break Evans back, make him humble.

Bernie is a legend. Evan is a jabroni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1221857291001114625

they included the Pod Save bros and MSNBC lmao