Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh Christ did RLM not like it, well that's poisoned the well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
maybe q would look older because he was older? just because you can change forms and time travel doesn't make you immune to aging - he was always obsessive about mortals, perhaps his forms started to sympathetically show age?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

twistedmentat posted:

Also anyone who thinks that a funny framing device is a guy who murders women is, like hosed. Lol it's just a joke that a woman is being tortured in the basement, lighten up!

Picard's Federation is the US without the Soviet Union, it has no big enemy to fight. Unlike in the TOS->TNG era where the galaxy was at peace, this galaxy is one that is a smoking ruin that the Federation is the sole standing empire. It's going to be paranoid as gently caress, even if on the surface everything is all right. As someone else mentioned, those that are running the show are officers who came up during the wars, and even if they may hold Federation Values at heart, they see those outside of the Federation as not worth their time. Picard had to shame them and probably used up whatever political capital he had to get them to act. As Picard straight up says "lives", he's not going to let old hatreds cloud his morality.

I really tend to like their reviews, and I often line up with Jay with movies, even though they're overly harsh on popcorn movies, like Marvel. I do like re:view better than HitB, since it tends to be movies they enjoy more. I really wanted to show people the Plickett reviews, so I actually downloaded the TPM one and edited out the murder stuff as best I could.

It was too much effort, honestly.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

quote:

You have a starship captain who, when stuck on a planet, decided the way to bring the people of the planet together was Nazism.

He was a historian who had never read any book on WW2 that wasn't written by David Irving. I headcanon he was just a nazi who used the "whoops wasnt me it was this other guy" excuse. Kirk and spock come off as exceptionally stupid in that episode by buying that bullshit.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He was a historian who had never read any book on WW2 that wasn't written by David Irving. I headcanon he was just a nazi who used the "whoops wasnt me it was this other guy" excuse. Kirk and spock come off as exceptionally stupid in that episode by buying that bullshit.

I mean of course, the real life reason was that, in the late '60s, the mainstream historical opinion of Nazi Germany was that, while it was incredibly evil and genocidal, Germany under the Nazis was efficient and Nazism was a unifying force for non Jewish Germans.

It wasnt until the early '80s, I think, that historians started doing in depth studies of the Nazi economy and governmental structure and realized that it was remarkably inefficient and self sabotaging.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

large_gourd posted:

...large_goodpost...

:same:

Basically at this point I like it because it’s got potential, JPL, and it isn’t offensively bad yet. I do really wish we could actually have a utopia in our utopian sci-fi again.

adaz posted:

This entire thing can be summed up as "q was right." When Q tossed the enterprise into borg space and very smartly said you have no idea what the borg is going to do to your precious federation like he wasn't wrong. Before them the federation was living as a happy little island paradise nation not realizing what threats and predators were still out there. CAN the federation still exist in galaxy with those type of threats is now an open question and I <3 that they are asking it and trying to explore it.

This is a compelling counter I suppose. I thinks it’s a fine line, one that DS9 walked infinitely better than current incarnations of Trek, which may well be the essence of my gripe. What I’m saying is the modern show runners are hacks 😝

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 27, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Epicurius posted:

I mean of course, the real life reason was that, in the late '60s, the mainstream historical opinion of Nazi Germany was that, while it was incredibly evil and genocidal, Germany under the Nazis was efficient and Nazism was a unifying force for non Jewish Germans.

It wasnt until the early '80s, I think, that historians started doing in depth studies of the Nazi economy and governmental structure and realized that it was remarkably inefficient and self sabotaging.

Seeing how the historiography surrounding Nazi Germany has evolved since the war is as much fun as studying the period itself. Hitler was regarded as a war genius for a long while.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pinterest Mom posted:

That might have been all the Federation was sending, right. ~150 member worlds, a 10,000 ship rescue fleet is 10-100 ships per member world. Earth would be a natural staging area for a fleet headed to Romulan space since it's in the Beta Quadrant.

They were also (presumably) being refitted at UP to handle large swaths of refugees since passenger liners or cargo haulers probably don't have the life support systems to handle evacuating millions of people.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does anyone in Picard's era have a recollection of the AI that Disco dealt with? I can't remember if they just super-killed it or if it got shunted into a time prison or something. Could that AI have anything to do with the synth issues in Picard now?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They "fixed" the timeline issues by ordering everyone to pretend everything in the first two seasons of Discovery never happened. No discussion, no records.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Were there even any timeline issues if you didn't have a problem with how things looked newer than thing made a long time ago?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Were there even any timeline issues if you didn't have a problem with how things looked newer than thing made a long time ago?

It's like that episode of VOY where a civilization reconstructed their culture's contact with Voyager and concluded that it was an advanced warship with a psycho captain and her insane crew of enablers.

They were right, of course, but they also thought the ship's sets were all dark and blue-tinted, and that everyone wore black turtlenecks and gloves.

Same goes for Disco.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I'd argue that the Trek fandom is probably the most continuity-obsessed fandom there is. They used to publish books called “nitpicker's guides to TOS/TNG/DS9” back in the 80s and 90s that exhaustively detailed every continuity error episode by episode. The tone of the books was definitely tongue-in-cheek and aware that they were being nitpicky, that is to say, it didn't have the acid that internet nitpicking does.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
every single enterprise ships looks exactly the same to me, my brain is very blurry when it comes to these kinds of details and time is no different. what I'm hearing is that no, there aren't any real continuity errors

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

zoux posted:

I'd argue that the Trek fandom is probably the most continuity-obsessed fandom there is. They used to publish books called “nitpicker's guides to TOS/TNG/DS9” back in the 80s and 90s that exhaustively detailed every continuity error episode by episode. The tone of the books was definitely tongue-in-cheek and aware that they were being nitpicky, that is to say, it didn't have the acid that internet nitpicking does.

*sigh* Okay, everybody, raise your hand if you, like me, had more than one of those books. (Raise your other hand if you, like me, still have them on a shelf.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Discovery was mostly just "and they have this really cool technology that does this" without thinking anything of it. Then someone realizes "oh poo poo, that didn't exist in TOS and our show takes place right before that." The solution was always "Wow, turns out that technology really sucked rear end, and the federation never used it again." They probably decided to throw them into the future so they could finally do cool poo poo without having to constantly worry about "BUT KIRK NEVER HAD THAT!"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Khanstant posted:

There were a bunch. I didn't care that much about most of them, but the one glaring one is if the Federation had "teleport across the galaxy" tech then that would've been something Voyager might have wanted to look into. Maybe they couldn't replicate it, but the idea undercuts the entire premise of that series.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

*sigh* Okay, everybody, raise your hand if you, like me, had more than one of those books. (Raise your other hand if you, like me, still have them on a shelf.)

One hand only (I recently sold mine)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CoolCab posted:

maybe q would look older because he was older? just because you can change forms and time travel doesn't make you immune to aging - he was always obsessive about mortals, perhaps his forms started to sympathetically show age?

Or he just got punished by the Collective for a recent fuckup and turned into a disheveled, potbellied old guy in a shirt that says "kiss me I'm a brony"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Khanstant posted:

The Red Dwarf TV show did a whole bunch of time travel episodes but they also totally updated their sets and costumes occasionally so they were always coming up against this problem and their solution was they just didn't bother giving a gently caress about continuity at all, except for that one time where they very very carefully and faithfully recreated the original series set.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tighclops posted:

I thought their review was unnecessarily harsh and nitpicky in places but I don't think most people who are weary of the setting and the story beats so far just want to go back to the 90's. One thing they're right about is that we've effectively seen the first 10 minutes of a movie and it's still early to judge.

Im not sure what Rich evans wants when he talks about the optimistic future where racism is double-dead but then does poo poo like this: https://youtu.be/3XCFjN80BO8

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Red Dwarf TV show did a whole bunch of time travel episodes but they also totally updated their sets and costumes occasionally so they were always coming up against this problem and their solution was they just didn't bother giving a gently caress about continuity at all, except for that one time where they very very carefully and faithfully recreated the original series set.

Red Dwarf at it's most serious is at the level of Spock's Brain, though

And I LOVE it, this is not an insult

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I know that in the 60s western historians were largely reliant on German sources and had no access to lots of Soviet stuff that is now available, and that nazi propaganda about their own efficiency was very successful. But it's still so crazy to see Kirk just accept the premise that Nazi germany was extremely efficent.

Also, Mussolini never actually made the trains run on time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

There were a bunch. I didn't care that much about most of them, but the one glaring one is if the Federation had "teleport across the galaxy" tech then that would've been something Voyager might have wanted to look into. Maybe they couldn't replicate it, but the idea undercuts the entire premise of that series.

_had_

Yeah, it would be weird if that tech was around and Voyager didn't have a clue. But AFAIK they came up with a contrivance that the tech isn't there, so it's not an issue. If a paper-thin contrivance is good enough to let us accept impossible technologies and solutions all the time, should be good enough to dismiss tech progression quirks. Every ship we follow habitually uncovers potentially profound new technologies and lifeforms or techniques that are never examined or mentioned again.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

zoux posted:

Oh Christ did RLM not like it, well that's poisoned the well

I don’t know much about modern RLM because like a decade ago I saw a review for some Star Trek property and in the review they said that that Worf alternate timeline TNG episode was the worst Trek episode ever and I decided that they didn’t know what they were talking about.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t know much about modern RLM because like a decade ago I saw a review for some Star Trek property and in the review they said that that Worf alternate timeline TNG episode was the worst Trek episode ever and I decided that they didn’t know what they were talking about.

Parallels? That's an awesome episode.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I mean even if Discovery hadn't been sent to the future and everyone sworn to secrecy, navigating the mycelial network is only possible with either enslaving an adorable tardigrade or illegal genetic modification of a human. And everyone on Disco's sister ship was killed in a spore drive related thing. You can see why the Federation would not encourage this line of research.

Plus yeah every other Star Trek series has game changing technology that is never mentioned again every other week, so who cares.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

marktheando posted:

I mean even if Discovery hadn't been sent to the future and everyone sworn to secrecy, navigating the mycelial network is only possible with either enslaving an adorable tardigrade or illegal genetic modification of a human. And everyone on Disco's sister ship was killed in a spore drive related thing. You can see why the Federation would not encourage this line of research.

Plus yeah every other Star Trek series has game changing technology that is never mentioned again every other week, so who cares.

I was hoping that in the 25 years since Nemesis, they were playing with another form of drive, like using reverse-engineered Borg tech from Voyager or something. Remember, warp drive was determined to be bad for the environment in like season 6 of TNG, which is why Voyager had the moving nacelles or something.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MichiganCubbie posted:

I was hoping that in the 25 years since Nemesis, they were playing with another form of drive, like using reverse-engineered Borg tech from Voyager or something. Remember, warp drive was determined to be bad for the environment in like season 6 of TNG, which is why Voyager had the moving nacelles or something.
The warp 6 speed limit was mentioned like two other times before they invented the warp catalytic converter or whatever.

For the best, though, who wants a B plot about Riker filling out form UFP-97364(g) Permission to exceed environmental warp speed limit (retroactive)?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cojawfee posted:

Discovery was mostly just "and they have this really cool technology that does this" without thinking anything of it. Then someone realizes "oh poo poo, that didn't exist in TOS and our show takes place right before that." The solution was always "Wow, turns out that technology really sucked rear end, and the federation never used it again." They probably decided to throw them into the future so they could finally do cool poo poo without having to constantly worry about "BUT KIRK NEVER HAD THAT!"

It was really dumb.

Honestly, one of the things I liked most about Enterprise was the LIMITS on their tech. They created tension when you had to use shuttle pods to ferry around crew and couldn't teleport people out of bad situations, or had limited weapons that were far inferior to those you encountered.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Admiralty Flag posted:

The warp 6 speed limit was mentioned like two other times before they invented the warp catalytic converter or whatever.

For the best, though, who wants a B plot about Riker filling out form UFP-97364(g) Permission to exceed environmental warp speed limit (retroactive)?

I would unironically watch a show about Starfleet Bureaucracy. Especially if it’s grumpy Riker filling out reports of his antics.

I imagine that audience is not huge.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The description of lower decks is that they're on a 'second contact' ship that comes after the fancy explorers breeze in and out and does all the paperwork.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
If Lower Decks isn't canceled within 2 seasons I'd be surprised.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

If Lower Decks isn't canceled within 2 seasons I'd be surprised.

It irrationally bothers me that the uniforms don't match anything. That'd be okay if we're talking about yet another time period, and Discovery season 2 did a better job of explaining away the Disco uniforms vs. TOS, but what's wrong with sticking to an style?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

The description of lower decks is that they're on a 'second contact' ship that comes after the fancy explorers breeze in and out and does all the paperwork.
Yes we call that the USS Hood

Hoping it’s not trash. The TNG Season 8 guy is apparently the head writer

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes we call that the USS Hood

Hoping it’s not trash. The TNG Season 8 guy is apparently the head writer

Did he ever write more than just the twitter blurbs about episodes?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MichiganCubbie posted:

Did he ever write more than just the twitter blurbs about episodes?

I think he’s also a writer on Rick and Morty.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm cautiously optimistic about Lower Decks, but it entirely depends on what sort of tone they're going for. I'm really not interested in a pure comedy, but a relatively straight yet lighthearted show could be fun.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Drunkboxer posted:

I listened to their pitch a while back for what the Picard show should be, and that's when I was like "okay, you're no more insightful about Star Trek than any other dork on the internet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lower Decks looks so bad that I kinda hope it’s cancelled mid-season somehow.