Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Once saw a car for sale with an "aesthetic roll-cage" made of PVC covered in foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So "Special VFR" is basically the "I pinky-promise I can still see poo poo", and ATC doens't really have any way of saying "you're full of poo poo"?

Special VFR is essentially for helicopters to be able to operate how they normally do despite the weather being less than VFR. I have about 800 hours flying helos and I’d say a good 80%+ is at 500 ft or less. It allows ATC to sequence you into an airfield that is IFR without the increased requirements/decreased flexibility of an IFR clearance. But yes, it basically relies on the pilot telling the truth/not lying and it can quickly go sideways if you aren’t prepared or the weather drops suddenly. Helicopters have the advantage of being able to hover or fly controllably at a walking pace.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I've flown SVFR numerous times in Iraq and Afghanistan. Launching on a casevac at <400 meters vis was just a thing we did. They didn't like SVFR much at Kandahar but Balad didn't give a gently caress

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

to be fair to the pilot he wasn't flying so high that he couldn't land safely with autorotation

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bloops posted:

I mean as a general rule, planes will fly given enough airspeed. Helicopters will drop.

Oh yeah, I get that. It's just equal parts funny and frustrating watching the pedant crew in D&D go to work with flight physics.

I mean, same crew that said it was racist to say the Iranians couldn't fly F-14s on a regular basis due to a lack of spare parts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alaan posted:

Boy do I have something to tell you about every other mode of transportation

tbh I want to see numbers minus single car accidents, covering only timid driving at 40mph max on residential streets in early daylight hours

Probably still works out worse than air travel but I bet there’s a magnitude of difference

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1221862439026921474?s=20

Infinity growing ironicat

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh yeah, I get that. It's just equal parts funny and frustrating watching the pedant crew in D&D go to work with flight physics.

I mean, same crew that said it was racist to say the Iranians couldn't fly F-14s on a regular basis due to a lack of spare parts.

They’re morons.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

to be fair to the pilot he wasn't flying so high that he couldn't land safely with autorotation

No such thing? The altitude record for helicopters is about 40k feet. That’s also the autorotation record due to a flameout. (FAI also gave him the autogryo altitude record )

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

https://youtu.be/-hIsWx5qbQs

Perfect example of why you pay the 30k for a real roll cage and not a backyard special

(they walked away)

You just pulling buttnumbers? 65k buys you a bare rolling tube chassis. 6-10 k depending on spec is pretty reasonable. As far as competition goes, most sanctioning bodies have the run spec in the run tech inspection and certification process so I guess this is a really long way of saying maybe just don't put roll cages in cars that don't need one?

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 27, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The roll-cages on proper Rallye cars are absolutely le-git

If they had shown the track cam instead of the internal cam first I would have assumed dead. That was a really bad crash.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lol:
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1221839478224015361

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/gregstohr/status/1221861932929601536?s=21

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

The.....gently caress.....???

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore
wealthy white people
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed wealthy white people to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How do they decide that? There is no possible objective litmus test that can determine wether a person immigrating here is going to be financially soluble or not. Hell, half the post-docs I know can’t get a job after their post-doc and are certainly already “public charges.”

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Flikken posted:

The.....gently caress.....???

Donnie wanted to change the public charge exclusion to whites only only immigrants that wouldn't use public benefits when weighting if they should get green cards.

As per usual, the Roberts Court is cloaking racism in dumb legal bullshit. The five conservative justices decided to get mad about national injunctions - a district court put a full stop to the policy going ahead, when the court ruled against Donnie. Donnie then petitioned the Supreme Court for a stay while the thing was on appeal and got it. Basically, the Roberts Court is pissy about district courts blocking poo poo nationwide and chose only now to do anything about it.

All white, all right.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Blind Rasputin posted:

How do they decide that? There is no possible objective litmus test that can determine wether a person immigrating here is going to be financially soluble or not. Hell, half the post-docs I know can’t get a job after their post-doc and are certainly already “public charges.”

The darker your skin the more money you need.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh boy. We can sell citizenship to lovely rich oligarchs all day long.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh boy. We can sell citizenship to lovely rich oligarchs all day long.

That’s what the investor visas are for. It’s always been the easiest way to get into the US.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

When can I expect to be repatriated for losing my job?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They aren't killing off Mr. Peanut anymore. Apparently they think people might mistake him for a basketball playing rapist.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Apologies if this was already posted:

quote:

L.A. weather was extremely foggy Sunday morning, and law enforcement sources tell us even LAPD air support was grounded because of it. Flight tracker data shows Kobe’s chopper appeared to first encounter weather issues as it was above the L.A. Zoo. It circled that area at least 6 times at a very low altitude—around 875 feet—perhaps waiting for the fog to clear. We know the pilot contacted the control tower at Burbank Airport around 9:30 AM PT, and the tower was aware the pilot had been circling for about 15 minutes. The pilot eventually headed north along the 118 freeway before turning to the west, and started following above the 101 freeway around Woodland Hills, CA. At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather—as in seriously heavy fog—and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet. However, moments later—around 9:45 AM—they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.

from https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/01/sikorsky-s76-helicopter-kobe-bryant.html

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That Works posted:

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free

MA-Horus posted:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore
wealthy white people
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed wealthy white people to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

NPR: Would you also agree that Emma Lazarus' words etched on the Statue of Liberty - give me your tired, your poor - are also part of the American ethos?

CUCCINELLI: They certainly are - give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge.
(Acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
(Aug. 2019)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

lemme tell you what i'm gonna do with my two feet, ken

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
This law is retroactive. All of the you with Irish and Italian heritage have to leave.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

A Bad Poster posted:

This law is retroactive. All of the you with Irish and Italian heritage have to leave.

Hmm, I'm part Irish, but I've also got family that's been here since before the revolution. Any way I can apply for joint custody?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hmm, I'm part Irish, but I've also got family that's been here since before the revolution. Any way I can apply for joint custody?

We send part of you back home, or all of you.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

But...what... they do understand that there's only one kind of whiteNorwegian people who want a green card, right? The literal poor? This... it's a little dumb.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wouldn't this bar a ton of academics since academics don't always have a ton of money as these very forums have shown us

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

joat mon posted:

NPR: Would you also agree that Emma Lazarus' words etched on the Statue of Liberty - give me your tired, your poor - are also part of the American ethos?

CUCCINELLI: They certainly are - give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge.
(Acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
(Aug. 2019)

There's no way that's real

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

You forget we live in hell dimension, my friend:

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/13/750726795/immigration-chief-give-me-your-tired-your-poor-who-can-stand-on-their-own-2-feet

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Have you been living under a rock since 2016?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

A Bad Poster posted:

What about us Germans?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wouldn't this bar a ton of academics since academics don't always have a ton of money as these very forums have shown us

yes which is why it will be selectively applied only to people coming from the southern border

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

BigDave posted:

What about us Germans?

Especially the Germans.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

FrozenVent posted:

Have you been living under a rock since 2016?

Don't say things about my rock you aren't prepared to defend

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

SimonCat posted:

1Announce that you are inadvertent IMC
2Transition to the instruments.
3Level the wings, turning only to avoid known obstacles.
4 Climb to a safe altitude.
5 Squawk emergency on the transponder.
6. Contact ATC and request vectors to nearest appropriate approach.

You don't need a clearance if it's an emergency and you can request a pop up clearance if the conditions are deteriorating.

Edit: A better pilot would have scrubbed the flight or filed IFR to start with.

Disclaimer that I have absolutely no idea what happened onboard the helo and I haven't seen any reports but

we were batting this around at the office and I imagine it's difficult to tell a person of Kobe's stature that "no you can't go where you wanted to go today." I can totally imagine a scenario where the person up front is thinking "oh poo poo this isn't good, I really want to turn around but I don't think I have that option" and the dude in the back is thinking "what the gently caress is this guy doing, I'm uncomfortable in this weather and I want him to turn around" but nobody voices anything so nothing happens. Perceived mission pressure is a hell of a thing, if that's what happened here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Especially the Germans.

Oh. No. Please don't deport me to the land of free college education and rapid mass transit.