Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mcmagic posted:

Fascists are immune to charges of hypocrisy. They don't care.

sure but its not giving the "moderates" the cover they want. we are probably gonna get witnesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
He is trying to make a weak process argument with a bit of "it's not fair"? Ken Starr is a joke.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I just want the executive privilege court fight to carry through the SOTU so Trump can't have his televised victory lap.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I would be exceptionally surprised if this rambling non-defense is swaying literally anyone

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I would be exceptionally surprised if this rambling non-defense is swaying literally anyone

its gonna get dumber i am sure. but yeah, its not helping or swaying anyone.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is this all there is to the White House defense? I'm not seeing any coverage of the defense in the news, it seems like no one cares what they have to say. I thought Trumps whole game plane was to make this a media spectacle with a bombastic defense but it seems like no one actually cares, the news is all about Bolton right now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I don't think there's anyone to be swayed either way. Everyone's mind was made up long ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Popete posted:

Is this all there is to the White House defense? I'm not seeing any coverage of the defense in the news, it seems like no one cares what they have to say. I thought Trumps whole game plane was to make this a media spectacle with a bombastic defense but it seems like no one actually cares, the news is all about Bolton right now.

i thought cnn and the big channels were covering it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I think the sheer soporific drudgery of Starr's argument really conceals how much of a dog's breakfast of nonsense it is. Like is this motherfucker seriously asking the Senate to adjudicate House procedure? Like he's literally arguing that the House should have deferred to the Courts on something, and that as a result the Senate should peremptorily decide they were wrong themselves.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i thought cnn and the big channels were covering it.

Maybe, I don't really follow cable news. Just loosely checking news aggregates and the top stories seem to be about Bolton and I haven't seen anything about the White Houses defense these past couple of days.

I could be entirely mistaken.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

Everyone already knows the republicans are going to go 'pee pee doo doo he is the best president don't impeach,' anyone who is paying attention is now looking ahead to voting on witnesses.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I don't think there's anyone to be swayed either way. Everyone's mind was made up long ago.

the point is that this mind-numbing drivel isn't going to sway the narrative, which is all about Bolton, one bit

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
PENS! THINK OF THIS!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

A CELEBRATORY MOMENT yells Sekelow while showing video of Nadler looking like Deputy Dawg fighting depression.

Motherfucker is seriously pearl-clutching over motherfucking pens.

Edit: I regret to inform everyone I have confused Deputy Dawg with Droopy and therefore you must vote to acquit.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao Sekulow now whining that Pelosi handed out pens

can we just get on with the Trial of Hunter Biden already?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Popete posted:

Maybe, I don't really follow cable news. Just loosely checking news aggregates and the top stories seem to be about Bolton and I haven't seen anything about the White Houses defense these past couple of days.

I could be entirely mistaken.

the main websites are all talking about romney and or bolton. but the news channels are live streaming the trial.

eke out posted:

the point is that this mind-numbing drivel isn't going to sway the narrative, which is all about Bolton, one bit

this. trumps defence team was supposed to be about giving muddy cover to collins and others to just acquitte right away after. its not doing that at all and the 2 big leaks have made that worse. idk what will happen. but its gonna be a circus.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

eke out posted:

can we just get on with the Trial of Hunter Biden already?

*gasp* She's a monster!!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah Sekulow is loving this up biggly

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Popete posted:

Trump wants the show trial - No one in the Senate wants that shitshow. They want it closed quickly, silently and with as little collateral damage as possible.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

Yeah they should've been drinking champagne instead like when the GOP thought they had finally killed Obamacare.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
why not :smug:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SubG posted:

Motherfucker is seriously pearl-clutching over motherfucking pens.

Isn't that even fairly common practice when it comes to 'historical event' signings?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Taerkar posted:

Isn't that even fairly common practice when it comes to 'historical event' signings?

Yes but demonrats witch hunt emails hearsay read the transcripts

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/SenateGOP/status/1221848184902815744

seems the official line is this. it doesnt work but gently caress if i know.

I enjoy the irony here, like "look upon my works ye mighty and despair" -- "The facts remain unchallenged and uncontested" (interpretable as: "He did it and we knew it without Bolton".)

Even the third statement is ironic if interpret as "the failed play is bringing up reasonable evidence because we're gonna just slam it through regardless".

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 27, 2020

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I enjoy the irony here, like "look upon my works ye mighty and despair" -- "The facts remain unchallenged and uncontested" (interpretable as: "He did it and we knew it without Bolton".)

Even the third statement is ironic if interpret as "the failed play is bringing up reasonable evidence because we're gonna just slam it through regardless".

You are right. Kavanaugh definitely did something to blasey ford and there was nothing that anyone could say that would make them not put him on the court. I have a feeling this is going to be a similar situation. Im pretty sure that even with witnesses the GOP is going to try to put Bolton behind closed doors to control the narrative. Secondly, they are going to try to make this as quick as possible so they can slam through an acquittal.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1221882192785235969

lol not only are they not helping with the Bolton news, they didn't even bother to rewrite their arguments so they're actively raising the question "why not just have bolton testify?"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Djarum posted:

That's pretty much it. It has always been obvious they were wanting to slam this thing through to avoid the bombs that are being leveled right now. Any cover that the GOP had is now over so they will have to at the least call Bolton now. If Bolton starts naming names like it certainly seems like he will then the doors are blown completely off. Let's say, as the book is said to have, him state Pompeo, Mulvaney and Barr at least were in on the deal. Things start getting even uglier there as privilege would go out the window quickly. Who knows how the White House would fight to keep any of the three from testifying. And when/if they would testify how would they behave? Telling the truth effectively ends Trump, they could theoretically plead the fifth but that again is basically an admission of guilt.

We are officially walking into the nightmare scenario for the GOP Senators. They are now painted into a corner and while there is loyalty for Trump I don't see them all falling on the sword to save the guy. I bet they are wishing he would be like Nixon and resign but we all know that won't happen.

Nixon hit 66% public support for his removal before Republican senators fully turned on him. That was also the 70s, when the lines between Republican and Democratic voters were more blurry. The fact remains that pretty much any* Republican senator who votes for impeachment will get primaried by Trumpist hardliners. Unless you can find a way to actually convince those hardliners that Trump should go, then no Republican senator is voting to convict.

* Possible exceptions for odd cases like Romney.

It's still a nightmare scenario for them, in that it's a choice between falling on their sword in the general to protect Trump, or falling on their sword in the primary by betraying him. Unfortunately they're mostly making the judgement that the primary is the bigger threat.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Nixon hit 66% public support for his removal before Republican senators fully turned on him. That was also the 70s, when the lines between Republican and Democratic voters were more blurry. The fact remains that pretty much any* Republican senator who votes for impeachment will get primaried by Trumpist hardliners. Unless you can find a way to actually convince those hardliners that Trump should go, then no Republican senator is voting to convict.

* Possible exceptions for odd cases like Romney.

It's still a nightmare scenario for them, in that it's a choice between falling on their sword in the general to protect Trump, or falling on their sword in the primary by betraying him. Unfortunately they're mostly making the judgement that the primary is the bigger threat.

i think we will probably see witnesses. at least bolton which may start even more of circus. the GOP stuck itself between a bolder and wall and they are coming together to crush them because the GOP kept kicking the bolder.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1221885068328697857

if loving tapper is saying this. than i doubt the MSM is gonna both side this.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think we will probably see witnesses. at least bolton which may start even more of circus. the GOP stuck itself between a bolder and wall and they are coming together to crush them because the GOP kept kicking the bolder.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1221885068328697857

if loving tapper is saying this. than i doubt the MSM is gonna both side this.

It is obvious that the GOP knew that they had a very small window to be able to squish this threw before getting caught. It isn't even so much the GOP kicking the bolder as they could only hold it back so long with Trump, all of the cast of criminals and the Democrats pushing it in on them.

And yeah if Tapper is saying that there is no both sides to this. I will be interesting to see how Fox plays all of this. The second Fox breaks it is over.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Blackburn is currently on the NewsHour stream handwaving the Bolton poo poo away saying it's hearsay. She says it's a story in the New York Times, inflecting each word distinctly in a way I can't convey here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SubG posted:

Blackburn is currently on the NewsHour stream handwaving the Bolton poo poo away saying it's hearsay. She says it's a story in the New York Times, inflecting each word distinctly in a way I can't convey here.

She's impressively stupid.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Djarum posted:

It is obvious that the GOP knew that they had a very small window to be able to squish this threw before getting caught. It isn't even so much the GOP kicking the bolder as they could only hold it back so long with Trump, all of the cast of criminals and the Democrats pushing it in on them.

And yeah if Tapper is saying that there is no both sides to this. I will be interesting to see how Fox plays all of this. The second Fox breaks it is over.

From what I've seen posted itt it seems like even Fox is struggling to keep it together

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I feel almost comfortable enough to toxx that we'll hear from at least Bolton. It's one thing to make a Senator make a hard vote, it's another thing to lie to his face about it.

"Yeah, yeah, we got the scandal contained and Trump is on board with no witnesses and squashing this asap, it's all good"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Djarum posted:

they pissed away their shot again. anything they do now will hurt them badly outside maybe removal but that will still gently caress over a ton of them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pay no attention to the Guiliani behind the curtain.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Lmao this is amazing, they found someone to stand up in front of people and say good things about giuliani

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they pissed away their shot again. anything they do now will hurt them badly outside maybe removal but that will still gently caress over a ton of them.

In fact, removal will now be even more damaging. Like, if they had (somehow) agreed to hold a real trial and then voted to remove Trump, yeah you'd give up some vulnerable seats but the Goldfish Memory of the American Public would allow people to think the GOP had managed to take a principled stand after being duped by the President (:laffo:).

The longer this goes on the more it becomes evident that the GOP is rotten to the core and does not care about anything approaching good governance. Whether that translates into even worse losses for the GOP remains to be seen of course, due to the aforementioned Goldfish Memory.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
This really is Trump getting the defense he wants isn't it, they just said gently caress giving the senate cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I was just thinking and the primary worry of Senators and in turn House members is bullshit. If they were that worried about being primaried they would be doing all they could to drag things out beyond the filing date.

They tried to have it both ways and got caught.