Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
NGU Card whining:

Gotta admit my hype for the cards feature fizzled quickly

*It requires a lot of busywork to constantly yeet crappy cards (hint: all cards except adventure and maybe pp are worthless)

*Even when you do get a card with the stat you want it also needs to give a decent boost so you end up yeeting half the cards with the stat you want

*Its annoying to have to click on individual cards to see which Mayos they cost

*Having EVERYTHING be random is frustrating. It takes away a lot of the feeling of the cards being a parody on collectible card games. There should be more fixed parameters, e.g. PP cards always cost Red and Black Mayo, Adventure cards always cost Blue and Green.

*Combined with the previous point, Mayo generation should be random. With a fixed Mayo type for a stat and random Mayo generation we would be able to/forced to play other stats. As it is now i see no reason to ever use any of the other stats until Adventure is at at least a 1000% boost.

*The amounts of boost you get for a few of the stats needs to be drastically increased. Why would i use a card that give me 0,086% daycare speed for 3 Mayo when i can use an 1% adventure card that costs 5 Mayo?

*I am unable to see the correlation between the adjective describing a card and the amount of boost it gives. Why is an adventure card giving 2,532% adventure stats "Bad" while one giving 0,798% "Very Good" ?

*Mayo fruits should be increased. a level 24 fruit with 50% daily boost and poop gives 1,57 Mayo? Wow, an entire hours worth of a Mayo generator, for 3 MONTHS of farming seeds.

*Poop income from ITOPOD is not enough to poop "all" fruits now (I never pooped on the rebirth specific fruits and prior to the card feature that gave a good equilibrium between poop usage and ITOPOD poop gain). With 7 new fruits we don't get enough poop from ITOPODto poop on all permanent fruits

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It tells you in the manual that the rarity rating is relative to the mayo cost. The mayo cost is what determines how much boost you get, and that's multiplied by the rarity. Bad cards will be up to 10% lower stats than you should get, while Good ones will be ~15% more than you should.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Has this thread gone through Arcanum chat? I just discovered it over the weekend, and it's fun, but I could really use an explanation on what minions do and how to get them. I see different houses and skills affect "maximum minions" but that's all I know.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Goon Danton posted:

Has this thread gone through Arcanum chat? I just discovered it over the weekend, and it's fun, but I could really use an explanation on what minions do and how to get them. I see different houses and skills affect "maximum minions" but that's all I know.

People played it pretty heavily when it came out, but then I think it was supposed to be recoded from scratch and I think most people dropped out until that happened (don't know if it has yet or not). As for minions, you can cast summoning spells to have minions fight with you in battle, but they die so quickly and do so little I never really bothered.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Goon Danton posted:

Is that the one where you murder people then enslave their ghosts to write books so you can eat the books and gain their knowledge?

For me it was a crazy story and a fun ride but most of the fun was that the dev was live updating it and you could f5 and suddenly have 20 new skills because the dev was just committing changing live and doing about 30 a day.

Eventually my save broke horribly. It's a fun game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

Is that the one where you murder people then enslave their ghosts to write books so you can eat the books and gain their knowledge?
Hell yeah it's that one.

Minions are the awful crap you can hire through the Bestiary (after defeating 10 of a monster) or summon with some lovely spells - the reason they're awful is that they fight alongside you in Adventure mode, until they die, at which point you have to manually get rid of them or maybe there's a mechanic to heal them up but I have no idea what that is. (there's a submenu for them but I have no idea how you actually open it initially, maybe it's when you buy/summon the first one?)

I just stone ignored it the entire game, literally the entire game because I tried some Ancient Vampires or whatever the ones with drain attacks were and they still died instantly.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I've played through stage three of Alkahistorian 5 times now and I'm about to do it again. Is there anything else out there that has a similar "turning on the machine" feeling?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I think we just have to agree to disagree on the various design choices there, ineptitude. too many to go over.

But, there is still to-be-added upgrades that will reduce some of the RNG portions, such as perks to gain card spawn time/mayo progress when you yeet cards, and to improve the effects of tagging. There was just too much content to fit it all in one update, without it taking too long to launch.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The idea that only adventure and PP are useful is not right. At the very least, both NGUs, QP, and hack speed are all going to combine together to make adventure stats go up at a faster rate than throwing everything into Adventure stats just through cards.

Hacks and wishes were big immediate boosts when they were first implemented if you're at the end game but slow down a lot. I was a little disappointed that the cards are going to take time to push me further into the latest titan, but it's going to provide a good steady source of growth long term.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hell yeah it's that one.

Minions are the awful crap you can hire through the Bestiary (after defeating 10 of a monster) or summon with some lovely spells - the reason they're awful is that they fight alongside you in Adventure mode, until they die, at which point you have to manually get rid of them or maybe there's a mechanic to heal them up but I have no idea what that is. (there's a submenu for them but I have no idea how you actually open it initially, maybe it's when you buy/summon the first one?)

I just stone ignored it the entire game, literally the entire game because I tried some Ancient Vampires or whatever the ones with drain attacks were and they still died instantly.

They get okay when you get a summon spell and put it on autocast - manually buying them's terrible but if you have like unicorns being summoned they can be an effective use of mana for combat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

xiw posted:

They get okay when you get a summon spell and put it on autocast - manually buying them's terrible but if you have like unicorns being summoned they can be an effective use of mana for combat.
Fair, I basically tapped out right when the "craft spell" option was invented so autocasting a single spell that, among other things, makes friends might be relevant.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I can already fully max out my NGU's constantly and NGU speed doesn't actually speed up NGU (it just reduces the cost of them) so I'm not sure where the NGU advantage comes from? Hack speed is ok, i guess. I'm about to run out of things to wish for.

e: I should say I'm only on Evil.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 28, 2020

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I can already fully max out my NGU's constantly and NGU speed doesn't actually speed up NGU (it just reduces the cost of them) so I'm not sure where the NGU advantage comes from? Hack speed is ok, i guess. I'm about to run out of things to wish for.

You can BB all your Sadistic NGUs?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Klungar posted:

and have all your wishes at max speed?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm about to run out of things to wish for.

I don't see how that's possible just due to time being linear and there being a minimum length of time you have to wait on wishes.

I didn't bother to count, but the patch notes said "50+ new wishes". So let's say 50. Every wish takes 3 hours. So you're looking at 150 hours to max out all of the wishes, or roughly 6 days. The patch has been out for 4 days.

[edit]
Based on your post history, I'd guess you're still in evil difficulty. NGUs slow way down when you go to sadistic, just like the transition from normal->evil.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I don't see how that's possible just due to time being linear and there being a minimum length of time you have to wait on wishes.

I didn't bother to count, but the patch notes said "50+ new wishes". So let's say 50. Every wish takes 3 hours. So you're looking at 150 hours to max out all of the wishes, or roughly 6 days. The patch has been out for 4 days.

[edit]
Based on your post history, I'd guess you're still in evil difficulty. NGUs slow way down when you go to sadistic, just like the transition from normal->evil.

You can do 4 wishes at a time, but several of them also have 10 levels which means 30 hours. If I had grabbed all the tier wishes for cards I'll never use I'd probably be down to a page of wishes, which considering what they are is like 2 months worth of stuff.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Klungar posted:

Not at Sadistic yet. At the very end of Evil, just need to kill Exile V4.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

[edit]

Yea. I didn't think about the huge wall that sadistic will be. so I could see NGU cards re-gaining a lot of their usefulness. Maybe I'll start casting those as they come up.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 28, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
For perks in NGU, once I've got all the seed generating ones, what should I invest in next?

I was thinking the NGU bonus ones because they seem like they'd be handier over the boss exp ones as exp will be handled by seeds instead.

Though should I save up and get the fruit exp perk in advance of getting the fruit up to level 24?

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

something posted:

hey open request to those with cards unlocked to please post yer best/funniest randomly generated cards

tia

terrifying energy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

something posted:

hey open request to those with cards unlocked to please post yer best/funniest randomly generated cards

tia

:hmmyes:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sibling of TB posted:

I've played through stage three of Alkahistorian 5 times now and I'm about to do it again. Is there anything else out there that has a similar "turning on the machine" feeling?

Crank

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am at the point now I can idle Beardverse at 1.5 day rebirth, but jesus my drop rate is abysmal even with a level 36 digger.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I would love it if there were light-up buttons in NGU (like the Adventure/Quest/Pit/etc) for having access to Advanced Training and having enough gold to upgrade a Gold Digger. I've absolutely screwed up entire reincarnations because I play this game mostly when I first wake up or when I'm tired but want to click buttons for a few minutes.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I am at the point now I can idle Beardverse at 1.5 day rebirth, but jesus my drop rate is abysmal even with a level 36 digger.

If you can spare the accessory slots from needing power/toughness - do you have the most ascended forest pendant, ring of greed, and most upgraded Looty Face?

Don't forget about the Blood Magic spell to help a little too, and keep working on Yggdrasil

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I am obscenely new to NGU (total time played ~11 days, highest boss defeated 91); would there be any point to joining the discord or would I just be the only person there not already maxed out on progression and have nothing to talk about?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Zyxyz posted:

I am obscenely new to NGU (total time played ~11 days, highest boss defeated 91); would there be any point to joining the discord or would I just be the only person there not already maxed out on progression and have nothing to talk about?

The discord has rooms for each phase of the game, so once you understand the naming convention you can slot into the right channel. (I was confused at first too).

Get in the discord.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
How do I stop using Regular Black Pens in NGU idle? I can't find the toggle.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

Sexual Aluminum posted:

How do I stop using Regular Black Pens in NGU idle? I can't find the toggle.

There is none. If you bought the pack you just have to accept you won’t get efficient use of them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zyxyz posted:

As mentioned already there's rooms for separate stages of the game but there's a secret goon channel that is full of helpful goons who don't care where you're at in the game. :getin:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Devor posted:

If you can spare the accessory slots from needing power/toughness - do you have the most ascended forest pendant, ring of greed, and most upgraded Looty Face?

Don't forget about the Blood Magic spell to help a little too, and keep working on Yggdrasil

I have uhh, 4 slots so of course I have all the above. I've been dumping blood into Iron Pill, maybe it's time to hold off on that for awhile then.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'd like to be into Idle Miner on Android but it really, really seems to want to be actively running instead of other apps at all times and that's basically contrary to how I understand idle games.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

That's a consistent problem with Android idlers and I do not understand why. Presumably something about the os not wanting to run a bunch of stuff in the background, but that seems easy to work around.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Goon Danton posted:

That's a consistent problem with Android idlers and I do not understand why. Presumably something about the os not wanting to run a bunch of stuff in the background, but that seems easy to work around.

It is, but then you either need a server or people will just change the time on the phone to cheat and the primary reason people make Android idle games over PC is that they make way more money. We're talking tens of millions vs hundreds of thousands a year.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah Idle Miner severely cuts your income while idle and they really, really want you to buy boosts. And I get it, they want to monetize their game and make money, and that's fine. But the boosts are ridiculously expensive, though now that I think about it that's every idle game. If be okay with dropping a dollar here or there to get over this or that dead zone in the math but idlers seem to me to always want a shocking amount of money for small boosts.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah Idle Miner severely cuts your income while idle and they really, really want you to buy boosts. And I get it, they want to monetize their game and make money, and that's fine. But the boosts are ridiculously expensive, though now that I think about it that's every idle game. If be okay with dropping a dollar here or there to get over this or that dead zone in the math but idlers seem to me to always want a shocking amount of money for small boosts.

NGU is the only reasonably priced and monetized idle game, that's why it's popular. A game is either 100% free and has slow development or requires you to spend thousands of dollars or spend 6 months at a wall and you can see 5 other even bigger walls in front of you so you either pay money, quit, or play 20 years to beat the game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Pope Guilty posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone's done the math that high value conversions from unhealthy whales always makes a game more money than loads of micro transactions. Then all new clickers have just copied it.

It's almost screaming out for a meta idler to be made about idle games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve dropped probably a hundo on NGU but the packs give you so much for your money I don’t really mind spending 20 bucks or so a month on something that I really enjoy. A bunch of games want like 4 bucks for 2 hours of double progress and fuuuck that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
NGU certainly could make more money by being very harmful to people. I'm glad it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Kin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone's done the math that high value conversions from unhealthy whales always makes a game more money than loads of micro transactions. Then all new clickers have just copied it.

That's basically it. Theres a small segment of the playerbase that will buy microtransactions regardless of what they cost so the game companies discovered that having obscenely priced packs earns them more money from this small segment of players than having cheap packs bought by a larger segment of the playerbase.