Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bank posted:

Anyone use an Nvidia Shield with Retroarch? I'm planning to play stuff pre-N64/PS1 (NES/SNES/MG mostly).

Only for a little bit to try things out. Works fairly well for 8/16-bit stuff. Still a bit of a weird setup if you don’t normally use RetroArch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Has anyone itt ever modded their Dreamcast with the DCHDMI board that lets it do native hdmi output?

Is that better than, say, running component output through a line doubler? The games are all either 240p or 480i.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Has anyone itt ever modded their Dreamcast with the DCHDMI board that lets it do native hdmi output?

Is that better than, say, running component output through a line doubler? The games are all either 240p or 480i.

I have, and it is absolutely worth it. Most Dreamcast games do native 480p through VGA which looks great through the DCHDMI.

You can also make do with something like the Beharbros Gekko, but it won't work with the non VGA games and the quality isn't quite as nice. It's cheaper and much less of a hassle though, especially if you aren't comfortable with precision soldering.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Bank posted:

Anyone use an Nvidia Shield with Retroarch? I'm planning to play stuff pre-N64/PS1 (NES/SNES/MG mostly).

Yeah, I've had my shields for a few years now, they work great when it's not having the typical android device struggles. It used to be the best box for streaming video apps too but that's probably leveled out to a degree. Retroarch works pretty well on it, and you shouldn't have any issues with those systems.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Bank posted:

Not sure if you tried powerline adapters? I have them in my ~60s place and it seems to work great.

Moca works ok too if there's cable.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
:drat:

https://twitter.com/citrus3000psi/status/1221823597326557185?s=21

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

drat this is cool. I did a GDEMU recently and that poo poo was easy as hell.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I'm downsizing a bit and selling a couple sealed NES games I've just had for a while. I'm not really a collector of such things but ended up with them a few years ago because it seemed like a deal. However, I'm having trouble really pinning down fair price on them. Sealed games don't seem to sell very often so it's hard to get a bead on. Anyone have any resources they use to figure this out outside of ebay?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Depends a lot on the condition and the titles, but sealed games in general have shot up in price recently. eBay is a good indicator, sites like gamevaluenow.com get their data from it.

Whatcha got?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Princess Tomato and Rad Gravity. Both are in new condition. They came from a former Nintendo employee a few years back that had kept them in their offices till they came to me.

Edit: And just for clarity, I did check ebay but only found a small number of listings for the games and none really appeared to match the condition of mine.

DisposableHero fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 28, 2020

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
If they are in very mint condition, it might be worth sending off to VGA or WATA to get graded to maximize value. As it is, Princess Tomato is the rare one and could be in the region of $500 sealed, and Rad Gravity more like $150. If you got Princess Tomato graded and it came back VGA 85+ or WATA 9.6 and above it could be over $1000.

It's a weird market!

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Thanks. That does help. Those prices are on the order of what I was kinda expecting. I hadn't really considered grading and while it does sound like it would likely net me more money it's always been a weird practice I'm not sure I want to participate in. That might require some thought.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Pricecharting now attempts to track sealed prices and may show more history of eBay sales. A lot of time it has incorrect things listed but may have some useful data.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

Got my EZ Flash Jr today. ... The EZ Flash Omega came in too.
I picked up both of these based on your good comments and my initial impressions are quite positive.

On the EZ Flash Omega have you found a purpose for the NOR memory?

So I have an EZ Flash 3-in-1 from back when, and on that the NOR memory was really useful because to load games into PSRAM you had to boot with a DS flashcart, run GBA ExpLoader, then load the game. While once a game was loaded into NOR you could just boot the DS straight into GBA mode. With the Omega you're still booting to the menu either way, and PSRAM loading is really fast, so it doesn't seem as necessary. Also the NOR flash on the 3-in-1 was 256 Mbit which was necessary for large games like Mother 3, but the Omega's PSRAM is also 256 Mbit so that's not necessary either.

I'm wondering if games run from NOR flash use less power, or maybe if the NOR has dedicated save SRAM it doesn't backup to SD as often preserving SD write cycles or something? I don't know. It's really unclear.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

pzy posted:

If they are in very mint condition, it might be worth sending off to VGA or WATA to get graded to maximize value.

Please do not support scammy companies like this or encourage this kind of behavior/environment. Just sell your games on eBay.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Have any of you succesfully replaced/upgraded the rechargable batteries in handheld battery packs with something more modern? I have battery packs for the Game Gear/Nomad, PC Engine GT/TurboExpress, and original Game Boy that I'd like to fix up.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Thanks for the pointers folks. I'll spend a little more time researching and see how Pricecharting treats me. I'm not in a big hurry to move this stuff. Just identified it as stuff I could easily part with.

Ofecks posted:

Please do not support scammy companies like this or encourage this kind of behavior/environment. Just sell your games on eBay.

Yes, honestly this was more my take but was avoiding saying it for fear of making it a thing. Something about it rubs me the wrong way.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Do people really buy VGA graded stuff for a lot more these days? I'm sure people are listing those VGA graded copies for $1000, but do they sell?

I know the retro gaming market is big these days, but that always seemed to be more from people who actually want to play the games, rather than from investor/collector types. Maybe I'm way off on that though.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Heritage just started listing graded games after WATA came into existence last year, and the market has absolutely exploded for high grades and certain titles.

It's mostly big-money comic collectors trying to diversify a bit, and there was a similar bubble a few years ago too.

I think it's stupid WATA will encapsulate and grade opened games, and I used to agree that grading was dumb for all games, but there is something to be said for the continued preservation of specifically high quality examples of cultural ephemera. A boxed game sitting on a shelf doesn't deserve grading, it deserves playing, but a crazy mint sealed game that evokes the kind of nostalgia people shell out big bucks for deserves protection.

But you can also accomplish that with a $5 box protector for the most part...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Are actual collectors buying them? I figured the whole thing was a bunch of speculators hoping to cash in on the next comic books.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

ItBreathes posted:

Are actual collectors buying them? I figured the whole thing was a bunch of speculators hoping to cash in on the next comic books.

does it matter what they want it for if someone wants to give you upwards of ten grand for a stupid game you can never ever play

al-azad
May 28, 2009

gently caress I sold a sealed Super Mario Bros. 3 like 5 years ago for $200, if only I held out >:(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Finally, my sealed copy of NFL Football for the NES will pay off!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

One of those games is probably more expensive than the machinery that actually sealed them on the factory floor.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

al-azad posted:

gently caress I sold a sealed Super Mario Bros. 3 like 5 years ago for $200, if only I held out >:(

And then you would have been mad at yourself five years later for not holding it if you sold it today.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Caitlin posted:

does it matter what they want it for if someone wants to give you upwards of ten grand for a stupid game you can never ever play

No, the difference is more in when the market collapses.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Star Man posted:

And then you would have been mad at yourself five years later for not holding it if you sold it today.

Only if the value jumped another 10,000%

Trying to imagine a world where Tecmobowl can buy me a house.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
will someone buy my mint condition cib original owner conkers bad fur day for £12000 please. i could do with it. thank you.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My only sealed Nintendo thing is some e-reader cards I just found in a box from my parent's house. I think it was Golf. Other than that I have what appears to be all the non-Pokemon cards loose, including the Mario Advance 4 levels and that Mario Party thing. Based on what I'm seeing on eBay I can prob get $100-150 for everything if I'm lucky... I'll have to give it a shot :shobon:

Man e-reader was an odd thing. It was very cool that the Wii U version of Mario Advance 4 included all the e-reader levels.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I have one sealed game at home and it's NFS Underground for DS. I didn't open it because I got it as a gift and I heard it sucks.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I have a sealed copy of Bloodstained for switch from the Kickstarter because when it finally came I realized I'd rather have a digital copy to actually play. :eng99:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I picked up both of these based on your good comments and my initial impressions are quite positive.

On the EZ Flash Omega have you found a purpose for the NOR memory?

So I have an EZ Flash 3-in-1 from back when, and on that the NOR memory was really useful because to load games into PSRAM you had to boot with a DS flashcart, run GBA ExpLoader, then load the game. While once a game was loaded into NOR you could just boot the DS straight into GBA mode. With the Omega you're still booting to the menu either way, and PSRAM loading is really fast, so it doesn't seem as necessary. Also the NOR flash on the 3-in-1 was 256 Mbit which was necessary for large games like Mother 3, but the Omega's PSRAM is also 256 Mbit so that's not necessary either.

I'm wondering if games run from NOR flash use less power, or maybe if the NOR has dedicated save SRAM it doesn't backup to SD as often preserving SD write cycles or something? I don't know. It's really unclear.

I can't think of anything outside of it being another huge oversight. I imagine it can be changed with a firmware update, though, but who knows why they thought people would want it to function this way.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Miles McCloud posted:

I have, and it is absolutely worth it. Most Dreamcast games do native 480p through VGA which looks great through the DCHDMI.

You can also make do with something like the Beharbros Gekko, but it won't work with the non VGA games and the quality isn't quite as nice. It's cheaper and much less of a hassle though, especially if you aren't comfortable with precision soldering.

Looks like the Gekko is discontinued anyway.

My solution was to order a SCART cable and an OSSC since that was about the same price as paying someone to mod the Dreamcast with t he DCHDMI plus I can use the OSSC for my foray back into N64.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I still have my ordered-from-Nintendo copy of Xenoblade for the Wii in an unopened envelope package from whenever it came out, since I just hacked the Wii in the meantime. I'm hoping to retire from it (not really)

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i could probably lurk to find this out but are old pc games allowed in this thread too or is that more of a yospos kind of a thing
im currently building a windows 98 machine to play some classic games ive found at good will like curse of monkey island which ive found sealed(just the cd case not the box and all) and also hopefully it will be DOS friendly enough that i can play stuff like Z and Loom and Doom 1/2 and other cool dos games

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

starbarry clock posted:

i could probably lurk to find this out but are old pc games allowed in this thread too or is that more of a yospos kind of a thing
im currently building a windows 98 machine to play some classic games ive found at good will like curse of monkey island which ive found sealed(just the cd case not the box and all) and also hopefully it will be DOS friendly enough that i can play stuff like Z and Loom and Doom 1/2 and other cool dos games

You'd probably get better assistance over in this thread if you run into any issues:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have an old Mac SE/30 with the caddy CDROM and stuff that I’m hoping will put my kids through college lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Gnoman posted:

You'd probably get better assistance over in this thread if you run into any issues:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352

thanks ill be sure to check it out im currently waiting for the case to come in so i can put all these parts together

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have an old Mac SE/30 with the caddy CDROM and stuff that I’m hoping will put my kids through college lol

i actually had one of these up until a little while ago and some of the games are incredibly fun stuntcopter is a really good waste of time

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a boxed Socrates educational system thing and I keep waiting for AVGN to do an episode about it so I can sell it for dumb money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Minidust posted:

My only sealed Nintendo thing is some e-reader cards I just found in a box from my parent's house. I think it was Golf. Other than that I have what appears to be all the non-Pokemon cards loose, including the Mario Advance 4 levels and that Mario Party thing. Based on what I'm seeing on eBay I can prob get $100-150 for everything if I'm lucky... I'll have to give it a shot :shobon:

Man e-reader was an odd thing. It was very cool that the Wii U version of Mario Advance 4 included all the e-reader levels.

I thought the e-reader was a really awesome thing for the time. The tech was really interesting, I wish it had taken off. I feel like Nintendo could do so much more now with RFID cards though. I am honestly surprised they haven't outside of some Animal Crossing cards. Selling cards with RFID chips that can interface with various games like the e-reader stuff would be rad.