Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

I discovered Radio War Nerd a couple of days ago, been binging random episodes that interest me before starting a systemic go at the whole thing. Absolutely stunned at the quality of this so far, wanted to ask if anyone knows of any podcasts (or whatever really) that are similar to this in their approach/quality/level of discourse but tended towards finance/money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Richard Wolff is pretty good

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Drexler posted:

Folks I’ve taken the excellent advice of this thread and subscribed, can I listen anywhere besides on the patreon app? It’s terrible; it doesn’t save your place and each episode takes half the screen as you scroll through them.

sorry for the dumb question I’m a big dum dum when it comes to this sort of thing

You can just download the mp3 from the email link.

Drexler
Jun 30, 2013

Cheers.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I added the link to Overcast and it works like any other podcast

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

wasanibalen
https://twitter.com/Annibal97783312/status/1215586436474339328?s=20

lmao at Germany still thinking about invading Switzerland in 1944

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 05:53 on Jan 11, 2020

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

wasanibalen
https://twitter.com/Annibal97783312/status/1215586436474339328?s=20

lmao at Germany still thinking about invading Switzerland in 1944

Is that the guy from the series on the italian years of lead? Because that was really good. Did he return for other topics?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anibale just did the recent run on the rise of Venice.

coathat
May 21, 2007

He also did like 10 hours on the hundred years war

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
annibale owns and i like how it's pronounced "annie bolei"

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I think he also did the Joan of Arc ones as well, although maybe that was part of the Hundred Years' War. If it wasn't him, then it was someone else whose pronunciation of "Jeanne d'Arc" was fabulous.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

no Jeanne d'Arc was definitely Anibale. Jeanne d'Arc got her own series in addition to the 100 years war stuff

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

uhhhhhhhhhhhh euuuuuuuuuughhhh uhhhhhhhhhhhh

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Anibale has the best and most fascinating mispronunciations of english

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
He's Italian :shrug:

Every other Italian I know has the same accent.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
John Dark

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Nothus posted:

He's Italian :shrug:

Every other Italian I know has the same accent.

he’s the only italian i know

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is almost certainly revenge for the War Nerd article on Sikhs

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Personal favourite moment of Anibale accent confusion was him describing Dalmatia as along the coast of Iceland.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dikkfor posted:

John Dark

That's how I pronounce it now. Anibale can't be wrong.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pt. 4 of Venice dropping feels like i finally busted after a whole month of edging

animist
Aug 28, 2018
oh man I gotta catch up on Venice

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Dan Carlin eat your heart out

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

another killer episode, but that i had such knowledge

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

skooma512 posted:

Dan Carlin eat your heart out

really though, RWN could seriously compete with Dan Carlin, especially considering his glacial output

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Carlin puts a lot of effort in making a narrative, which I appreciate but yeah it's slow and he doesn't have some crazy computer brain like Dolan and Annibale etc. do, doesn't really stay abreast of current goings-on or at least rarely has public "takes" on them. He's basically a "pragmatic libertarian" who has been wanting a successful "outsider" candidate forever and it broke his worldview pretty hard when the monkey's paw curled and Trump showed up as a tough-to-dismiss avatar of what a lot of America is actually like. It works for shows about things that happened 50+ years ago but for newer stuff he can only comment on specifics, struggles to synthesize etc.

I will say that because of his effort in making a narrative his stuff stays with me better than any RWN show does, for better or worse. Part of the reason he slowed down even further was the book he wrote, which is pretty good but I think people who like RWN can safely skip it / won't get much from it.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I felt so bad for John when he talked about how he got denied entry to India. I know he thinks it's a visa war thing, but I'm not so sure of that.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

visa war plus the "writer" application getting thrown in the scrutiny pile sounds pretty plausible

if they're at all interested in denying applications for either reason it can't be hard to justify rejecting the author of "Indians and Pakis Too Faggy For War" who's been reporting about nearby communist insurgencies and kashmiri separatism

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hahaha was that really the title? gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pangstrom posted:

Carlin puts a lot of effort in making a narrative, which I appreciate but yeah it's slow and he doesn't have some crazy computer brain like Dolan and Annibale etc. do, doesn't really stay abreast of current goings-on or at least rarely has public "takes" on them. He's basically a "pragmatic libertarian" who has been wanting a successful "outsider" candidate forever and it broke his worldview pretty hard when the monkey's paw curled and Trump showed up as a tough-to-dismiss avatar of what a lot of America is actually like. It works for shows about things that happened 50+ years ago but for newer stuff he can only comment on specifics, struggles to synthesize etc.

yeah i was a big listener of Common Sense years ago. he goes radical centrist in 2015 and the election really does break his brain. he cannot comprehend current events anymore

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

DrPop posted:

Hahaha was that really the title? gently caress

Yeah, writing in full character as Gary Brecher back in 2002, republished 2008, fifth google result for "john dolan writer kashmir"

http://exiledonline.com/war-nerd-called-it-indians-and-pakis-too-faggy-for-war/all/1/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

i say swears online posted:

yeah i was a big listener of Common Sense years ago. he goes radical centrist in 2015 and the election really does break his brain. he cannot comprehend current events anymore

I mean, at least he actually was taken aback and sort of acknowledged he was wrong instead of digging in his heels and doubling down.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah he wasn't going to be all rah rah Trump and also wasn't excited about Democrats' RESISTANCE response and he's not a leftist so he didn't really have a team to root for after his erstwhile team turned out to be essentially fictional. He probably knows his takes are just going to alienate chunks of listeners at this point, the fact that large swaths of the country hate each other is I think what he's most worried about and nobody really has a fix for that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/satanicmill/status/1219856582336335872?s=21

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Finally getting caught up on RWN, while saving some of the multi-part episodes for later (Hundred Years War, Venice). The Incan Empire episode was good but I wanted a bit more of a deep dive. The Xenophon episode is great, the guy they bring on for some of their Classical era episodes is really good and it makes me want to check out some of his books.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMX_oBpDKQ

subject matter for the next episode. i'm excited

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

i say swears online posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMX_oBpDKQ

subject matter for the next episode. i'm excited

oh hell yes

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
that's a good watch. the interview with that mercenary around 15 minutes in... :stare:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

god drat i love this pod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

cola do rienzo is crying out for an anibale episode