Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

lol if you test positive they will drive you off into the woods

Is this how they're going to do the test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Man the potential if the hong kong modeling is correct of having 44000 presymptomatic cases on the 25th is pretty insane, couple that with doubling every six days that means by friday we'll probably have almost 100,000 cases, that means by the 24th of next month there will be more than a million people infected with the wuhan and we'll be moving toward more than 30,000 deaths.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Man the potential if the hong kong modeling is correct of having 44000 presymptomatic cases on the 25th is pretty insane, couple that with doubling every six days that means by friday we'll probably have almost 100,000 cases, that means by the 24th of next month there will be more than a million people infected with the wuhan and we'll be moving toward more than 30,000 deaths.

did you see what that model said would happen in april

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wash your hands, face, and rear end regularly

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i didnt and im not sure i want to. I wish they'd done some modeling travel since december 1st and given us an idea of how many pre-symptomatic people might be in other countries. I imagine there was a lot of traveling over the last month and a half with all the holidays.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i didnt and im not sure i want to.

wtf... please wash your rear end.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0xDGXotGIE

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

i would but i'm relying on my plethora of gross butt germs to help crowd out the coronavirus

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i didnt and im not sure i want to. I wish they'd done some modeling travel since december 1st and given us an idea of how many pre-symptomatic people might be in other countries. I imagine there was a lot of traveling over the last month and a half with all the holidays.

*this apparently was modeled as the lockdown being the ONLY containment policy to show if it had any benefit (it was too late and won't do poo poo)* so it isn't meant to be a prediction of what will happen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vishass posted:

*this apparently was modeled as the lockdown being the ONLY containment policy to show if it had any benefit (it was too late and won't do poo poo)* so it isn't meant to be a prediction of what will happen.
So hypothetically speaking, if it does get really bad (like in that chart), how long would one need to stay locked inside to ride it out? Like two months until it dies down, if I'm understanding that correctly?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Siljmonster posted:

wash your hands, face, and rear end regularly

dying from the rear end flu

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

So hypothetically speaking, if it does get really bad (like in that chart), how long would one need to stay locked inside to ride it out? Like two months until it dies down, if I'm understanding that correctly?

i mean you will have no immunities and the disease wont really go away, so until you can get a vaccine

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This seems suboptimal

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/01/hubei-cities-fearful-china-virus-medical-supplies-run-200126034425456.html

quote:

In Xiangyang, the third-largest city in Hubei and home to more than five million people, there were zero confirmed cases as of January 25, but that has not brought any relief.

"There are no hospitals in Xiangyang that have the diagnostic kit and can provide diagnosis," Yixin Yu, a resident of Xiangyang told Al Jazeera. "The most likely diagnosis you get is viral pneumonia and will be asked to go back home to exercise self-quarantine."

"It can't be that there are no infected people - it's only that no case is being confirmed," Yu added. Xiangyang is about 300 kilometres (186 miles) northwest of Wuhan.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 28, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm reading that China isn't testing dead people for coronavirus, so if you caught it and then died before you were diagnosed with it, you wouldn't be included in the official counts.

Many many posts ago but where you reading that?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

drat the lying and deceitful Western propaganda!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vitamin P posted:

Many many posts ago but where you reading that?

I don't recall exactly (When I made the post you're quoting I was in the middle of scanning through Twitter, Reddit, and a bunch of journalism digging up information) but there's been complaints about patients not getting tested and there's this story: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/25/quick-burials-lack-tests-raise-fears-cornavirus-outbreak-much/

quote:

The corpse of Chen Min was wrapped in a yellow body bag with tape when it was delivered to the funeral home by workers in hazmat suits. The staff disinfected the van they travelled in and disposed of protective gear.

Despite being pressured into a quick cremation by authorities, the grieving family did not know if the 65-year-old had died from the novel coronavirus sweeping China. And they still don't.

If they're running out of testing kits then it stands to reason that they wouldn't waste them on testing random corpses, right?

https://twitter.com/gzmimi/status/1220535231507136512

I may have read it in a SCMP article, lemme see if I can dig it up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221936044972695553

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol this is way up from yesterday https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1221934427908997120

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't recall exactly (When I made the post you're quoting I was in the middle of scanning through Twitter, Reddit, and a bunch of journalism digging up information) but there's been complaints about patients not getting tested and there's this story: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/25/quick-burials-lack-tests-raise-fears-cornavirus-outbreak-much/

If they're running out of testing kits then it stands to reason that they wouldn't waste them on testing random corpses, right?

https://twitter.com/gzmimi/status/1220535231507136512

I may have read it in a SCMP article, lemme see if I can dig it up.

So this is why they were monitoring thousands of likely cases in yesterday's update

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

I'd listen to the CDC call from today, they expect it to continue to rise as they isolate everyone in close contact with the 5 confirmed current cases.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stop all flights, lock up the infected, lock up anyone who came within 100 feet of the infected.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The thing thats bothering me right now is that according to the DNA scientists this thing started its spread as early as October and testing kits are apparently not really widely available anywhere, if thats the case, what are the chances that people are being sent home with "just" the flu or pneumonia even in countries outside of China

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I've never had flu so im surely safe. In the unlikely event I catch it I'll post through it nbd

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

within a year there will be more infections than humans. and its just going to go up from there. i would be pretty worried

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The thing thats bothering me right now is that according to the DNA scientists this thing started its spread as early as October and testing kits are apparently not really widely available anywhere, if thats the case, what are the chances that people are being sent home with "just" the flu or pneumonia even in countries outside of China

I've actually been feeling under the weather the past few days and it's making me paranoid.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Wuhan hasn't released any new stats today

I'm sure it's fine

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jose posted:

I've never had flu so im surely safe. In the unlikely event I catch it I'll post through it nbd
never fear goons, no matter how bad it gets, jose and i will be here posting while puking and burning up at 105f holding one arm on the toilet seat and phone in the other. our shitposts may be more delirious but that can only be an improvement. solidarity

ventilators won't stop me and if the nurses take away my phone i will tap morse code through the rj11 line directly to lowtax's house

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Jose posted:

How can you have never had a flu?? I've had more than I count, I had one a few weeks ago

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

reports coming in that the virus can spread through "electronic posts" on the internet

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i caught the flu for the first time in like a decade last year, plus im over 40 now, so womp womp

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

twoday posted:

I'm sure it's fine

The only message they sent was "Send more paramedics".

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jose posted:

if a hurricane couldn't kill you nothing will

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

SorePotato posted:

reports coming in that the virus can spread through "electronic posts" on the internet

i didn't know there was transmission by fecal matter

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

twoday posted:

I'm sure it's fine

it's 8am over there

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

eric ciaramella posted:

it's 8am over there

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1221945278623879168?s=21

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

my god.... everyone in chinas dead

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

my god.... everyone in chinas dead

Or they're trying to figure out what format to release the numbers in because they ran out of tests and don't know how many cases they have .

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

Or they're trying to figure out what format to release the numbers in because they ran out of tests and don't know how many cases they have .

no theyre all dead. rest in peace china.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

quote:

The US Center for Disease Control and Prevention has upgraded its warning for novel coronavirus to Level 3, which is to avoid all non-essential travel to all of China. This means the outbreak is of “high risk to travellers and no precautions are available to protect against the identified increased risk”.

It warns of person-to-person transmission and that “older adults and people with underlying health conditions may be at increased risk for severe disease”. The advice also notes that there is “limited access to adequate medical care in affected areas” in China.

Level 3 is the US’s highest warning level.