Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The estranged royals somehow had knowledge of this incident and left before it reached the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

numberoneposter posted:

The estranged royals somehow had knowledge of this incident and left before it reached the UK.

Let us go to the safety of Canada

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Soon to be dead asia-based goon checking in again.

Went to a museum over the weekend and now I've got a scratchy itchy feeling in my sinuses this morning.

It's been three days since I left my room (goon life), but bought a week's worth of canned and dry food just in case.

Most likely a regular cold strain, but I don't like the coincidence lol I'm a dead goon walking.

Anyway, anyone up for a coronavirus suicide pact?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221959266682265602

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

In mask related news, some of my coworkers have started wearing them, but I've seen them touching their faces a lot with unwashed hands lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Backweb posted:

Soon to be dead asia-based goon checking in again.

Went to a museum over the weekend and now I've got a scratchy itchy feeling in my sinuses this morning.

It's been three days since I left my room (goon life), but bought a week's worth of canned and dry food just in case.

Most likely a regular cold strain, but I don't like the coincidence lol I'm a dead goon walking.

Anyway, anyone up for a coronavirus suicide pact?

Apparently nearly all cases are lower respiratory tract only. So it won't gently caress w sinuses, no sore throat, just heads straight for the pneumonia

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Apparently nearly all cases are lower respiratory tract only. So it won't gently caress w sinuses, no sore throat, just heads straight for the pneumonia

Yeah, SARS was interesting in that it caused both URI and LRI. This one goes straight for the lungs.

Given the severity it makes me wonder if it's inducing cytokine storms and drowning people in their own fluids a la the Spanish flu.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
good thing for me my fluids are all-natural and organic

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SchrodingersCat posted:

Yeah, SARS was interesting in that it caused both URI and LRI. This one goes straight for the lungs.

Given the severity it makes me wonder if it's inducing cytokine storms and drowning people in their own fluids a la the Spanish flu.

The cytokine storm is one theory as to how the 1918 flu pandemic did what it did. The other is bacteria coming in to finish the job with secondary infections in the overcrowded hospitals. I think that one’s more likely, given how the 2009 flu ended up going. Lots of post flu pneumonias that were treatable with antibiotics, no crazy immune reactions. Both were H1N1 so you would expect them to behave kind of similarly.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
What are my chances of the TSA probing me if I wear a full-face N100 mask onto a domestic flight and only remove it for security checks?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

If you go to the link, Wuhan has 563 serious, 127 critical cases

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Sydney's running out of facemasks, I think people must be selling them back to china

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

50% increase day to day is perfectly fine, we're all fine

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looking at the numbers further, out of Wuhan's 2,714 cases they have had 100 deaths, and currently 563 cases are serious and 127 critical. That's 3.68% dead, 20.74% serious, 4.68% critical.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Genderfluent posted:

In mask related news, some of my coworkers have started wearing them, but I've seen them touching their faces a lot with unwashed hands lol

I live in Hong Kong and can't find masks anywhere, online or in store. When I get on the metro I'm one of the only people without a mask. But yeah still see tons of people with it around their neck, without their nose covered, touch their face under the mask, etc. I hoped to snag some before a flight next week but I guess I'll be bringing the disease to Florida :twisted:

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

That's a relief. Thanks! Got a link on that? everything else I've read has described the onset of this flu as "cold like symptoms" which for me is always upper respiratory, starting with itchy sinuses.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221960449517936640

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
If you give it an ansatz of ~ power law wrt the category distributions, making another category of "not serious enough to go to hospital" gives you 12.5k peeps in that one

I don't know how friendly this domain is to this kind of ansatz

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Backweb posted:

That's a relief. Thanks! Got a link on that? everything else I've read has described the onset of this flu as "cold like symptoms" which for me is always upper respiratory, starting with itchy sinuses.

Have table 1 on this one. Gotta find better dealio on the sore throat and sinus thing specifically tho

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I'm in Prince Rupert, BC. We're a Pacific port town.The maternity wing of the hospital here has apparently been closed off to visitors due to a flu outbreak.

Will update as the details become more scintillating.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Have table 1 on this one. Gotta find better dealio on the sore throat and sinus thing specifically tho

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

Your link is hosed up. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
A quick google search says 10-25% of the population gets the flu each year.

Using the Wuhan numbers I quoted earlier as a base (3.68% dead, 20.74% serious, 4.68% critical)

If 10% get sick that's 27,600,000 dead world wide, 35,100,000 critical and 155,550,000 serious.
If 15% get sick that's 41,400,00 dead world wide, 52,650,000 critical and 233,325,000 serious
If 20% get sick that's 55,200,000‬ dead world wide, 70,200,000 critical and 311,100,000‬ serious.
If 25% get sick that's 69,000,000 dead world wide, 87,750,000 critical and 388,875,000‬ serious.

Obviously hospitals would be overwhelmed by these numbers and if critical cases necessitates a respirator or ventilator nearly all of them would die since there aren't nearly enough.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Thanks again. Did some more digging on symptoms. For anyone curious about the onset, there are indeed differences with the Wuhan flu and upper respiratory tract infections:

quote:

there "are some important differences," such as the absence of upper respiratory tract symptoms like runny nose, sneezing and sore throat and intestinal symptoms like diarrhea
Source:
https://www.livescience.com/new-china-coronavirus-faq.html

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Charlz Guybon posted:

Using the Wuhan numbers I quoted earlier as a base (3.68% dead, 20.74% serious, 4.68% critical)

If 10% get sick that's 27,600,000 dead world wide, 35,100,000 critical and 155,550,000 serious.
If 15% get sick that's 41,400,00 dead world wide, 52,650,000 critical and 233,325,000 serious
If 20% get sick that's 55,200,000‬ dead world wide, 70,200,000 critical and 311,100,000‬ serious.
If 25% get sick that's 69,000,000 dead world wide, 87,750,000 critical and 388,875,000‬ serious.

Obviously hospitals would be overwhelmed by these numbers and if critical cases necessitates a respirator or ventilator nearly all of them would die since there aren't nearly enough.

Not noice

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my mask has taken control of my body and is using it to sell more masks

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

hallelujah posted:

my mask has taken control of my body and is using it to sell more masks

capitalism will outlive us all.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
something tells me that R0 of 2.6 is inaccurate

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

VikingSkull posted:

something tells me that R0 of 2.6 is inaccurate

It’s now 3.3 - 5.5. Posted a few pages back.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Didn't they updated after some research that it actually has a R0 rate of 5.something?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
jesus christ

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mitztronic posted:

It’s now 3.3 - 5.5. Posted a few pages back.

The one that was posted a few pages back is also out of date.

I haven’t seen a new one published yet.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Case numbers are growing by 50-60% a day, shouldn't that tell us what the R0 rate is?

The numbers are doubling in under 48 hours.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is dumb.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Just so you know, I'm mentally reading this thread in an assortment of intelligent-sounding accents, so it feels like the tense bit about twelve minutes into a plague movie.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Plague inc is an amazing game but so far I'm failing to eradicate all humans. So don't worry guys our descendants will survive if heavily inbred :wink:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Plague inc is an amazing game but so far I'm failing to eradicate all humans. So don't worry guys our descendants will survive if heavily inbred :wink:

Sounds like you are making it to deadly to fast. Gotta keep it mild till at least every country is solidly infected.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah, plague inc is easy if you start slow, by the end I couldn't lose the game even if I wanted to save humanity as my virus was out of control bythen

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tree Bucket posted:

Just so you know, I'm mentally reading this thread in an assortment of intelligent-sounding accents, so it feels like the tense bit about twelve minutes into a plague movie.
a poo has emerged from my bum, repeat, a poo has emerged from my bum, over

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

bones 4 beginners posted:

I guess I'll be bringing the disease to Florida

thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

hallelujah posted:

a poo has emerged from my bum, repeat, a poo has emerged from my bum, over

We stand here, dazed by the actions of today. This... what's that? We.... weOHMYGOD. OH MY GOD! A second poo has hit the bowl, I repeat, A SECOND POO HAS HIT THE BOWL!!!!