Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1221951089647538177

typical ghoul meallymouth bullshit but its vaguely encouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
51 votes which way though?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Spite posted:

has no one speculated the publisher or someone there might have leaked it?

Doubtful. They are sitting on a goldmine. Why would you give the juiciest parts away for free especially so far from publication? Look at every other Trump book, rumors break a week or two before publication and a few days before they get quotes. It’s political book publicity 101. The publishing industry is so insular that if someone did leak without permission they would get blackballed.

Like I said this is a political hit and came from government.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If they have a vote on witnesses, Bolton gets called, I'm certain.

The real question is Pompeo, Mulvaney, or Biden.

After the first round of votes on whether to call witnesses and then votes on calling specific witnesses, it's there a second chance to vote on witnesses before the final vote?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have considered it a strong possibility from the very beginning of the senate trial that all the fence-sitting Rs have to do is coordinate votes so they can each vote for a few different specific witnesses to be called without going all in on any one person to actually reach 51. The crystallization of focus around Bolton makes that much harder now.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
For the life of me I cannot figure out whether or not Dershowitz is arguing for or against impeachment.

By the time he argued you cannot remove an incapacitated President I figured he doesn’t have a point- he just wants to sound ‘educated’ and earn a paycheck.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

personally, i'm not watching that decrepit pedophile. the choice to put him, of all loving people, as your prime-time advocate makes their trial strategy until now look smart by comparison

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/us/politics/john-bolton-trump-book-barr.html

More Bolton Bombs incoming.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1221970004356354048?s=20

i think we will get 51 votes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Dershowitz is a poo poo show. He just wandered away from the mic for a bit.

edit: Also he is arguing the president can't be impeached for his climate change policies. Which... isn't happening.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Bolton Blabs Big Buzz to Bumblefuck Barr

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What is disgusting is that they didn't even try to impeach Barr who is just a blatant enabler of criminality.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I cannot take a 70 year old public speaker who is still doing the right out of college "diamond hand" thing seriously.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Not seeing any of the usual loud mouthed Pro Trump players on my social media saying anything. Went in there, scrolling through and looking for an argument/fight. I guess today’s failure on defense plus Bolton’s manuscript got them shook?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Not seeing any of the usual loud mouthed Pro Trump players on my social media saying anything. Went in there, scrolling through and looking for an argument/fight. I guess today’s failure on defense plus Bolton’s manuscript got them shook?

Likely there are no marching orders.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Djarum posted:

Doubtful. They are sitting on a goldmine. Why would you give the juiciest parts away for free especially so far from publication? Look at every other Trump book, rumors break a week or two before publication and a few days before they get quotes. It’s political book publicity 101. The publishing industry is so insular that if someone did leak without permission they would get blackballed.

Like I said this is a political hit and came from government.

Eh, most of the books seem to be so outdated by the time they are published because the news cycle has shifted to its eleventh different scandal by then. By leaking this and becoming perhaps the main witness and focal point of the impeachment trial, Bolton buys himself immense publicity. He also makes his book indispensable if he does take down Trump.

I think they fear the backlash too if Bolton doesn’t testify, because he will be blamed for holding out for his drat book sales.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Bolton took pages of notes in every meeting he attended and was known for it.

He also is the protege of Dick Cheney, and a completely garbage human being.

They are all hosed. *waves broadly in that direction* All of 'em.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Djarum posted:

Likely there are no marching orders.

Putin Puppets Plod Perilously Pending Programming Promotion!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Oh man they are ending already. Wow they really have nothing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly... if it turns out that abandoning the Kurds was part of some lovely self-serving deal with Turkey--I mean like, I understand it implicitly is, but with a very concrete quid pro quo --I think there is a shot at removal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Djarum posted:

Oh man they are ending already. Wow they really have nothing.

like ending ending?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly... if it turns out that abandoning the Kurds was part of some lovely self-serving deal with Turkey--I mean like, I understand it implicitly is, but with a very concrete quid pro quo --I think there is a shot at removal.

i am sure thats true and i am sure bolton wrote about it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like ending ending?

For the day. I guess they are now going to do something tomorrow now?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I’ve been going to the Washington Post’s twitch stream for my daily recommended intake of internet trolls.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Djarum posted:

For the day. I guess they are now going to do something tomorrow now?

Probably just yell the same talking points for 4 hours.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I don't think Dersh took one loving breath through that whole pile of horseshit.
I don't think a Harvard law lecture at 100 miles an hour using law words resonated much with Trump's supporters, that's for sure.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LegionAreI posted:

I don't think Dersh took one loving breath through that whole pile of horseshit.
I don't think a Harvard law lecture at 100 miles an hour using law words resonated much with Trump's supporters, that's for sure.

did he actually say anything? what the gently caress was his argument.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am sure thats true and i am sure bolton wrote about it.

Bolton was gone a month before Trump decided to backstab the Kurds, so at most he can paint a pattern of past behavior (I'm sure it's true as well).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:getin:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Even if Trump committed an abuse of power, it isn't part of Congress' jurisdiction. Congress can only consider abuse of power AFTER they've been found violating the criminal code. Even though Trump is abusing his presidential power, 'you can't touch this'. Even if Trump is found drooling on his toilet, unable to speak anything other than a sad cry of 'berders', you can't remove him for being incapacitated as long as those aren't illegal berders.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Those of us that have been following closely have already reached out conclusions. Senators have formed their positions. The Qultists have had their minds made up for a long while. 'Low Info Voters', the ones that might swing one way or another, people who are only now starting to pay any attention to the circus (and still might not be able to recite the actual charges) are starting to form their opinions, mostly from chatting with co-workers around the water cooler or while buying coffee and a newspaper from the corner cafe in the morning. People that usually listen to Top 40 on the commute to work, but have been hearing about the impeachment trial and decided to tune in to NPR for the occasion. Folk that don't spend time on internet message boards, nor ever dive into the political dimensions of twitter.

The number of people now forming an opinion - in real time - is hitting a peak. And control of the narrative at that peak point is key. Either minimizing the number of people that pay attention - keeping the peak as low as possible, in terms of population of participants - or maximizing the swing to the narrative you wish to dominate.

Trump's not in a strong position here, from a social engineer's perspective.

If this becomes a prolonged trial with multiple witnesses... it starts to look like '12 angry men', with Romny (et al?) attempting to sway enough of the jury pool to convict. That outcome seems extremely unlikely, but it can't really play out with a quick trial.

Maybe Trump's bluffing, full stop. Maybe his chuds can't (or won't) actually primary senators that turn on him. Maybe the remnants of the Tea Party remember that they really love being the crazy radicals beholden not to the party. Maybe a popular movement begins with citizens across the US holding occupations demand that Trump #Resign, and it gets WAY more participation than anybody would expect right now. Maybe a new 'Bonus Army', with a set of demands. Maybe Putin sees it as tactically advantageous to turn the Internet Research Agency against Trump and in favor of impeachment. Maybe enough Republican senators choose not to attend the vote that the Dems participating make up 66.6%. Maybe support for removal edges over 60% nationwide and over 50% among republican likely voters and Trump is strongly encouraged - and chooses - to resign.

Yeah but no the trials gunna be a short crazy ride trump won't be convicted and there'll be little dramatic reveals that prolong the drama while not really changing the outcome meaningfully throughout the process. And yeah, I don't think this course is to the benefit of the GOP.

I do like the hypothesis that someone that received Bolton's book for White Housee review (and presumably put it through the review process?) is a) the author of the anonymous op-ed and b) the person that leaked the manuscript to the press at just the right time. It's a wild guess though.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Isn't it to late to enter the primaries?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Charlz Guybon posted:

Not only that, but a number of states had their GOP block any to run against Trump. At least, I think that's what they did.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/RyanLizza/status/1221979579755180034

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Charlz Guybon posted:

Someone posted dates for every state earlier. Some end the beginning of February. Most are around April. A few are in July. Louisiana is like September?!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol this is the correct take, just loving nonsense down to its core

https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/1221981856138178567

Kale
May 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, there defense is pretty dumb bad so far.

If Trump or the Republicans could frame anything at all in any way other than "But the Democrats are just being SOOOOOOOOOO UNFAIR TO US!" and assorted whiny bullshit it might be better but that's basically going to be it for the part from now on I guess. The poor hard done by old rich white guy party.

I legit think that :qq: should just be recalibrated to :"gop": instead of the current :gop: as seems just as fitting and perfectly sums up the whole party.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That Alan Dershowitz is cool because he also didn’t like the Clinton impeachment and is against climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

eke out posted:

lol this is the correct take, just loving nonsense down to its core

https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/1221981856138178567
Yeah, the comb-over'd ghoul that the NewsHour had on for their both sides thing (some exhumation from the Bush wing of the Republican necropolis, I missed the name and just heard indistinct banshee wailing) called Dersh quote magisterial unquote.